| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Birthdays
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:12 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The girls’ 1st birthday is on the 25th of this month and I still haven’t figured out what kind of cake I’m supposed to make for them. I heard that you’re not supposed to give babies chocolate in the first year and since my kids were born three months early I kind of feel like I should wait a little longer than that. The girls are also only on stage 2 foods so I don’t even know if I should make them cake at all? I’m so very lost lol. What do you guys suggest?

What were your kids’ 1st birthday parties like? What kind of cake did you make? What theme did you go with? What were their favorite gifts? =]

Post subject: Re: First Birthdays
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For my oldest, we made a regular vanilla cake, with a light frosting and lots and lots of strawberry slices. We didn't really do a party or theme or anything, but rather had a lovely family meal with some extended family. I honestly don't even remember what he got for gifts - I'm sure it was mostly toys and clothes. My youngest is turning one on 3 July. It will be similar as for celebrations, and my partner and I are only going to give him one gift since he's got everything he needs already, and family will give him things as well. We're going to get him some nice nesting cups. He loves stacking things inside each other these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Favorite gift was probably any of the wheeled things - the push cart, the tricycle (with a handle on the back to push), the John Deere Gator. But my favorite gift she got was clothes and socks. ;)

We didn't have a big Thing because we had just moved into a new place and barely had any furniture, and the house was full of boxes. Cake was a little vanilla cake from Whole Foods, a little dry but I didn't have any of my baking stuff and didn't feel like ordering a cake for 3 people. It was fine. Everything was fine. Might do a bigger shebang this year, but with the deployment extension I'm still dithering.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Here was my son' s1st birthday freakout thread lol. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13418&p=404758&hilit=birthday+party#p404758

It looks like I didn't say what happened, but the whole thing turned out fine. We had pbj & hummus tea sandwiches, bagels, crackers & artichoke tapenade, coffee, tea juices & mimosas. I did make cupcakes with little #1s in primary colors that I printed out and put on toothpicks. (I didn't pipe the frosting on or do the other fancy stuff I mentioned in that thread). We also had chocolate chip cookies and a cookie monster cake. This is the recipe I used - it was banana and low-ish sugar. http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-banana-cake-420289 I found this easy to put on face too so I didn't have to do complicated frosting for that either.

Last thing I did was treat bags for the three kids that came. They were blue bags with cookie monster stickers, cookie monster baby cookies, and a small sesame street doll.

It was a lot of work but I'm glad I did it especially since one of the long lost relatives who made a surprise appearance passed away soon after. So it was a rare opportunity to have the family together.

For his 2nd birthday I just took his best friend and parents to Sesame Place. This year we're going to this awesome farm where they have tons of toddler friendly games set up in the field with just a handful of kids. It will be a long time before i do a big one again - maybe when he turns 16 lol!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We didn't do a first birthday party (Sven's birthday is right after the winter holidays so I was partied out!), but this is the absolute best toy we got him. I buy one for every baby who turns 1 now!!

http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Toys-531301- ... rting+cone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 am 
***LIES!!!***

We had a biggish first bday party in my mothers back yard, catered by a local vegan chinese restaurant (they cater every party my family has). Malka got a water table, which she loved. I made marble cake with no frosting. I don't think she actually got any!

This year her birthday falls on rosh hashanah, so we will have cake with extended family the night before and then her party will be watching mommy lead services or playing in the babysitting room. Whee! I think i will be super exhausted from holidays and not likely to plan anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:31 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

mandycoot wrote:
We didn't do a first birthday party (Sven's birthday is right after the winter holidays so I was partied out!), but this is the absolute best toy we got him. I buy one for every baby who turns 1 now!!

http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Toys-531301- ... rting+cone

Sven! What an awesome name. <3

This is actually really adorable, now I have to get one. Haha. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:49 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ariann wrote:
We had a biggish first bday party in my mothers back yard, catered by a local vegan chinese restaurant (they cater every party my family has). Malka got a water table, which she loved. I made marble cake with no frosting. I don't think she actually got any!

This year her birthday falls on rosh hashanah, so we will have cake with extended family the night before and then her party will be watching mommy lead services or playing in the babysitting room. Whee! I think i will be super exhausted from holidays and not likely to plan anything else.

We're using the girls' Grandma's backyard too. I wish I would have thought of that catering idea. There is an amazing vegan Chinese restaurant here in Philly. I think it's a bit too late for that this year though, maybe next time. It sounds a lot less stressful. Usually when in doubt I go with a taco bar type thing but I did that for the baby shower and I don't want everyone to say dumb shiitake like "all you vegans eat are tacos?!". You know people. *eyeroll*

I had to Google "water table". That looks fun.

That does sound exhausting. Good luck! =]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

annak wrote:
Favorite gift was probably any of the wheeled things - the push cart, the tricycle (with a handle on the back to push), the John Deere Gator. But my favorite gift she got was clothes and socks. ;)

We didn't have a big Thing because we had just moved into a new place and barely had any furniture, and the house was full of boxes. Cake was a little vanilla cake from Whole Foods, a little dry but I didn't have any of my baking stuff and didn't feel like ordering a cake for 3 people. It was fine. Everything was fine. Might do a bigger shebang this year, but with the deployment extension I'm still dithering.

Understood.

GAH! I wish there was a Whole Foods close by where I live. I've only been there a few times. =[

I definitely want the girls to have push carts but I think I'm going to hold out until Xmas for that. I've decided to get them this - http://justb-byou.com/toys/smart/zany-zoo/ . I originally wanted the larger version but there is a waiting list for it, crazy. Also getting exersaucers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

For both of my kids, we didn't have a theme. I didn't start that until 3rd birthdays when they are old enough to care and express what they want in a theme.

For my daughter, we had family over to our house. Cake was carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I'm a big fan of cupcakes because the birthday kiddo can smash and destroy to her heart's content without ruining everyone else's cake, but it's also a reasonable amount of cake unlike the "smash" cakes I see bakeries sell. Of course, DD neither smashed nor destroyed hers. She looked at it askance, never having seen such a thing before, and I had to put a little bit in her mouth. After that she carefully ate her cupcake, sure that every bit made it inside her mouth, for to smash is to waste. (Yes, even at 1, she was my kid!) And my daughter was such a stereotype with presents. She spent the whole day after her party marching around with the hangers her new clothes had come on.

For my son, we had the party in the park, but same low key idea. We had coconut cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting. And bad mom here, but I have no idea what his favorite first birthday present was. I am a big fan of Green Toys trucks though. They are big, durable, and don't have a million pieces. The dump truck can even be used to store or clean up other million piece toys.

Food for my DD we got from a restaurant. But for DS, we had a bunch of salads and fruit and veggie platters. I made a toasted barley, green bean, shiitake, and tofu salad. I also made a "sea salad" of raw sunflower seeds, dulse flakes, lemon juice, and some other stuff. I'm sure we had hummus, because what's a party without hummus? I like stuff that can be made ahead and is best eaten at room temp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

MentalFiction7x wrote:
We're using the girls' Grandma's backyard too. I wish I would have thought of that catering idea. There is an amazing vegan Chinese restaurant here in Philly. I think it's a bit too late for that this year though, maybe next time. It sounds a lot less stressful.

I was able to order like three days before the event and it was fine. I probably could've cut it even closer, but might have had to pick up the food myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

MentalFiction7x wrote:
I definitely want the girls to have push carts but I think I'm going to hold out until Xmas for that. I've decided to get them this - http://justb-byou.com/toys/smart/zany-zoo/ . I originally wanted the larger version but there is a waiting list for it, crazy. Also getting exersaucers.

Malka likes the Zany Zoo okay, but I'll warn you that there isn't that much they can do with it on their own that will interest them for much time. If you can sit and interact with the thing with them, it's much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:41 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah I think a lot of places ask for maybe 24 hours notice, but can probably do less if they happen to not be busy. I mean, if it's food they make anyway and you're not ordering for 300, it shouldn't affect their businesses THAT much..

I totally want Native Food platters for a party. They looks so beautiful! But it's a good 45 minutes away so I'm not sure about that. This fact makes me first world grouchy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Aubade wrote:
Here was my son' s1st birthday freakout thread lol. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13418&p=404758&hilit=birthday+party#p404758

It looks like I didn't say what happened, but the whole thing turned out fine. We had pbj & hummus tea sandwiches, bagels, crackers & artichoke tapenade, coffee, tea juices & mimosas. I did make cupcakes with little #1s in primary colors that I printed out and put on toothpicks. (I didn't pipe the frosting on or do the other fancy stuff I mentioned in that thread). We also had chocolate chip cookies and a cookie monster cake. This is the recipe I used - it was banana and low-ish sugar. http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-banana-cake-420289 I found this easy to put on face too so I didn't have to do complicated frosting for that either.

Last thing I did was treat bags for the three kids that came. They were blue bags with cookie monster stickers, cookie monster baby cookies, and a small sesame street doll.

It was a lot of work but I'm glad I did it especially since one of the long lost relatives who made a surprise appearance passed away soon after. So it was a rare opportunity to have the family together.

For his 2nd birthday I just took his best friend and parents to Sesame Place. This year we're going to this awesome farm where they have tons of toddler friendly games set up in the field with just a handful of kids. It will be a long time before i do a big one again - maybe when he turns 16 lol!

Aww, someone loves Sesame Street. Sounds like you had an amazing party. =]

That's clever that you made the cookies to go with the cookie monster cake. I'm gonna go ahead and steal this banana cake recipe, it sounds like a good simple option for the girls. For the other guests I think I'm going to go with S'mores cupcakes, like the ones from Cupcakes Take Over the World. They just look so awesome. As far as the rest of the menu goes I'm gonna make it easy on myself and just make some potato/chickpea salads and have hummus and pitas available for sammich making. Fruit/veggies. I really like the mimosa idea though.

I'm sorry for your loss and glad you got some time in with them before. =[

I don't blame you there, this party planning stuff is stressful haha

Thanks for your reply. <3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:15 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

bodhi wrote:
For my oldest, we made a regular vanilla cake, with a light frosting and lots and lots of strawberry slices. We didn't really do a party or theme or anything, but rather had a lovely family meal with some extended family. I honestly don't even remember what he got for gifts - I'm sure it was mostly toys and clothes. My youngest is turning one on 3 July. It will be similar as for celebrations, and my partner and I are only going to give him one gift since he's got everything he needs already, and family will give him things as well. We're going to get him some nice nesting cups. He loves stacking things inside each other these days.

That sounds nice. =]

Yeah, we're just going with a few gifts for the same reasons. Their Grandparents will probably spoil them anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ariann wrote:
MentalFiction7x wrote:

Malka likes the Zany Zoo okay, but I'll warn you that there isn't that much they can do with it on their own that will interest them for much time. If you can sit and interact with the thing with them, it's much better.

After purchasing it and seeing it in person, I can understand why you would say that. I love to play with the girls and their toys though, I think it could be fun. Also, it was too adorable, couldn't resist. =]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

MentalFiction7x wrote:
Ariann wrote:
MentalFiction7x wrote:

After purchasing it and seeing it in person, I can understand why you would say that. I love to play with the girls and their toys though, I think it could be fun. Also, it was too adorable, couldn't resist. =]

I didn't realize which toy you were talking about before, but my little dude finds those things pretty fascinating. He's turning one in two weeks, but he likes to look at the colours and textures, and touch all the different parts. You may end up having good luck with them being entertained by it even when you're not able to play with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how early did you guys start thinking about/planning your kid's first birthday party?

it popped into my head recently that holy shiitake this kid will be one in three months! where di dthe time go?
obviosuly 3 months is plenty of time cause i dont really do big things so it will be just family and friends at our house but i feel like there is alot to still think about.
a theme if we want one?
food? (vegan and otherwise)
guests
weather (ok this is just something to stress about. BP was born at the end of April so it could be beautiful and sunny or cold and poopy)

BP doesnt really eat food at this point either. like she has ZERO interest in food if it doesnt come out of a boob.
hopefully in three months that will change so she can have a little cake

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 am 
Inflexitarian

I don't have pointers about planning birthdays - but maybe even if BP isn't wanting to EAT cake she can still enjoy playing with it and then you can get some cute pictures! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thats a good point! she will definitely like playing with it as that's all she does with food.

her food method seems to go like this:

" does it squish? if yes then definitely does NOT go in the mouth. if no then potentially something good to CHEW on but not eat"

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have any cutesy ideas for a first birthday party? BabyPunk's first birthday is at the end of this month. i have everything pretty much all set but im always open for new cute ideas.

i dont really have a theme and i have made all the decorations myself. it's very much a DIY first birthday.

my friend's daughter just turned one and she had a chalkboard and made a cute sign that said stuff like how big the baby is now her favorite books what she likes and dislikes, etc.
apparently it's a big thing on pinterest.

that's the type of cutesy idea im looking for.

then im a bit stumped on what to do for food. the party is at 2 pm so it's after lunch. there will be 19 people which will be (if everyone comes) 15 adults (includes my 2 teen/preteen nephews) and 4 babies.

i was gonna have chips/guac/salsa, a veggie tray and dip, and hummus and pita. i was also thinking of making a few salads like a bean salad and a pasta salad but now i feel like those salads would be weird like it's a hint of a meal but not really a meal.
should i just stick with apps? there will be cupcakes for dessert and im making cookies too. i feel like just the apps might be good. should i add one more like cut up fruit or maybe a spinach/artichoke dip?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:57 am 
***LIES!!!***

I'd definitely do apps and cupcakes! Can you get things like frozen mini samosas or veg pigs in blankets up there? I would totally do easy frozen stuff, because I am lazy.

We did a water table for the babies and that was our only entertainment. Very popular.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:06 am 
Semen Strong

If its at 2 pm, most of your guests will have eaten. I would put out a salad and appetizers for people, but if you put out too much, a lot of it won't get eaten. Which is fine if you make stuff that keeps well and you don't mind eating for few days.

We did a tiny vegan potluck, because I have awesome vegan friends.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have zero entertainment planned. out of the four babies only one is mobile. my friend's daughter just turned 1 and she is the only one who walks. BP isnt mobile yet and then my friends' twins i think will be 9ish months.

i think i will stick with just apps and desserts. it will make my stress level a bit lower.

i went to a party store today just to browse and i didnt see anything i couldnt do my damn self. i have gone super crafty for this bday. plus their section on 1st birthdays had two choices. pink or blue. barf.

i just hope BP survives it. she still hates all people other than me. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This is what a friend of mine did, and I thought it was a really cute theme without being, you know, TOO themey. I think they also got a rainbow parachute from eg Amazon and played with that as the main "game." Adult and kid-friendly. http://zosiasfanclub.blogspot.it/2012/0 ... party.html

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next