| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halloween 2016
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Too early? It might be, but I am SO excited. This year Giles' actually told me something he wanted to be for Halloween so its going to happen! He asked to be Chicka Chicka Boom Boom so I found on Pinterest (where else!) a great, easy DYI where a brown long sleeved shirt and pants has felt palm fronds sewn around the neck and then all the ABC's are on the "trunk". Adorable, doesn't require a hat, props, or facepaint - meets ALL the requirements! Since Sebastian is still too wee to tell me what he wants to be I am thinking of making him the pesky letter "a". Easy and that would be cute as long as the brothers stay semi-close while out and about.

Anybody else plotting and planning costumes already?

Post subject: Re: Halloween 2016
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela has been in preparation since last week. It's only 6 weeks to Halloween! Everything is on sale!

No idea on costume since it changes every minute

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Well, we are kind of excited since it's tiny wu''s first American Halloween. (It's not really celebrated in Denmark).

She wants to be a hedgehog. Pretty sure this is because her best stuffed animal, who goes everywhere with her, is a hedgehog named Hugo. I am moderately daunted by the idea of making a hedgehog costume but will be giving it my best shot.

The city here has a party for preschool to 6th graders on Halloween afternoon, plus a local mall is having a costume parade and Halloween storytime the week before. I'm kind of planning on taking her to those and just not trick or treating, hoping to avoid all the food issues. What do you all do?

Oh, and I saw that Target has $1 bags of Halloween themed erasers- pumpkins, bats, etc-- which looked like they could be a nice vegan candy alternative to give out to trick or treaters. There's maybe 20 in a bag so they could go a long way... unless I am seriously out of touch about this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:38 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I bought those erasers, too. Though I'll probably buy candy, too.
I usually buy some kind of you like that, and kids actually b get really excited about them.

I think the amount of stuff you give out really depends on your neighborhood. My mother gets hundreds of kids, I get less than 20.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We're debating costume ideas for our nearly-nine-month-old. So far it's HRC, the notorious RBG, or Rey or BB-8 from Star Wars. I think RBG is winning though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:33 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Last year Baby Lobster was 3 months old and I just put a pumpkin bib on her and called it a day. This year I think she's going to be a skeleton only because a set of skeleton pyjamas was in a bag of hand me down clothes that I was given and it seems like something easy and comfy for her to wear at daycare. I am saving all of my Halloween effort for when she's older and has opinions!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am VERY excited because my girls want to go as Mei and Satsuki from My Neighbor Totoro, which is going to be awesome. My husband kind of looks like the dad, so that is also happening. They want me to be the mom, but I really want to be Totoro (basically, I want an excuse to buy a Totoro onesie). I need to figure out a way to make Inez's hair look shorter without cutting it, though.

Since this one really only works if they're together, I think we'll save it for trick-or-treat/parties and do something simple for school. Greta likes this very simple cat costume that's in an illustration in one of her magazines and Inez is alway up for dressing like a dog.

Hedgehog and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom sound awesome! I love book themed costumes - I had so much fun making Inez's Ladybug Girl costume a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:19 pm 

Forgot to add that Jonah is going to be Chase from Paw Patrol. We already bought a costume, and he's been asking to wear it every day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

E wants to be a panda bear, and M wants to be Steve from Minecraft. Panda bear I can handle, but I'm still working on figuring out the Steve costume.

If M actually sticks with the Steve plan, this will be the first time in 4 years that he hasn't gone as a cat! Big changes are afoot, people, big changes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i almost feel a bit sad if he doesnt want to be a kitty cat!!!
like dont grow up little dude! stay a kitty cat forever!

i suspect we wont do Halloween again this year. i was trying to convince BP it was cool because i think she would have fun dressing up but she seems very anti the whole idea and wont even read the Little Blue Truck halloween book i got (she loves all the other LBT books) so i have basically dropped it.

however lately she *has* started pretending to be things which she never did before. for a couple days she was a turtle and i even strapped a pillow to her back. now she is a baby triceratops, my husband is a t rex, and i am an ankylosaurus, the dogs are also dinosaurs. she has really committed to this and refers to the dogs as what dinosaur she says they are. "mama shut the door so the parasauralaphus stops barking!"

today i made her toilet paper tube triceratops horns and she wore them and a towel tail for quite awhile. maybe next year she will do halloween.

i was pretty happy to hear her preschool doesnt do costumes for halloween because i told the director i might keep her home the day of the halloween party because i was pretty sure it would scare the shiitake out of her and they told me they dont do costumes because a lot of kids have trouble with them. they sing songs and carve a pumpkin or something so yay for that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ScandinaVegan wrote:

Oh, and I saw that Target has $1 bags of Halloween themed erasers- pumpkins, bats, etc-- which looked like they could be a nice vegan candy alternative to give out to trick or treaters. There's maybe 20 in a bag so they could go a long way... unless I am seriously out of touch about this.

yes it very much depends on your neighborhood. where i grew up we lived kind of out in the woods on the back of a hill so no one ever bothered to walk over the other side of the hill (the next neighbors on that side of us were a bit down the street) so my parents maybe got like 2-3 kids a year. like basically no one.

when we moved into our current house we were like omg we can hand out candy this year!!! (we had lived in a condo before).
we live in a very populated area with neighbors on every side of us and plenty of kids and i bought candy and exactly one set of kids came to our house that year. we never see kids trick or treating on our street but it is narrow and a giant hill so that might be the issue. we have no idea where kids trick or treat around here so maybe it's good BP isnt interested.

if you know any of your neighbors yet maybe ask them what halloween is like?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:23 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Halloween and Christmas always make me wish I had kidlets in my life! My dad used to make my sisters and our friends a haunted house in the basement (which we were already scared of, thanks to the 1990 release of Arachnophobia). He put so much work into it and it was different each year. I have an even scarier basement now (mice) and if I had enough friends with kids I would totally throw a haunted house party.

I'm pretty sure luring the sparse neighbourhoods kids brave enough to hike down to my weed garden and making them go into my basement to scare the shiitake out of them might be problematic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Halloween is always bit of a let-down for me. I'm not a big partier and all the Halloween parties I know are the drugs-are-the-only-way-to-have-fun type. I wish I had enough friends that I could throw my own kid-style Halloween party where there was MAYBE a bit of drinking but mostly just music, snacks, and fun. That would be the DREAM. Being pregnant makes the typical 20-something party even LESS appealing, of course.

My apartment has had four trick or treaters in the two Halloweens I've lived there so far. I'm in an upstairs unit, which is fine. The issue is that for every staircase, there's two apartments. Not really worth it! I'm assuming the group of four I had that ONE YEAR were the kids in the apartment across from mine. Sigh!!!

Hopefully the kid will make this more fun!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so lately BabyPunk has been saying she is a baby triceratops and she tells me all day long to call her a baby toppy and out of the blue today she said she wants to be a baby toppy for Halloween. i dont have any plans to take her trick or treating as i dont even know where people trick or treat around here and i think that would be too much for her.

we do however have a halloween parade in our town. i tried to take her last year and it was epic fail but i told her about it and said we could dress up and walk around. she doesnt want to "dress up" and "walk around" but she does want to "be a baby toppy" and "get candy." (3 year old logic) so we'll see what happens a month from now.

for now im trying to figure out how to put the least money and effort possible into a baby triceratops costume that im relatively certain will not get worn for anything related to Halloween.

yesterday i already made her horns out of toilet paper tubes when she was saying she was a baby toppy and today we painted some cardboard grey for a frill. no idea how im going to get that to actually stay on her. i think i can probably get her a grey long sleeved shirt and she might already have pants. now i just figure out how to do a tail. at home when we're playing i just stuff a hand towel in her pants.

the best part of all this is she has a stegosaurus costume my mom hand made last year hanging in her closet and i assume it still fits her. but no she doesnt want to wear it...... *sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

OSO, I wish you could come to our Halloween! Our co-op building is having a multi-apartment party, I'm sure there will be drinking but the party is mostly headed up by my friend who doesn't drink, who for our last co-op party provided non-alcoholic, vegan micheladas!

It's themed as, come as a person who died in the past year. I want a cute costume for or incorporating our baby, who will be 9 months by Halloween, and I don't know who we should be! Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:05 pm 

LisaPunk a lot of times malls or shopping centers have trick or treating the weekend before Halloween.