| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toddler air travel question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So we are flying with babynut for the first time since her second birthday. No more free ticket! Anyway, I don't want to lug her heavy car seat on the plane. Can she just sit in the seat without anything extra? I know there are restraints for airline seats, but what are the pros and cons of using them? It won't be a super long flight if that makes a difference.

Just interested in what people with experience have done. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Toddler air travel question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

How old is she now? 2 or 3?

E sat comfortably on a plane last winter with just the normal lapbelt at 3. When solipsistnation flew with him at 2 and a couple months, he used a CARES harness and that worked really well.

Actually, this reminded me that I should dig up the CARES harness for M, because I'm flying back alone with the two of them after Christmas this year.

ETA: one pro of the restraint (aside from possibly added safety) is that I think it makes it more like sitting in a carseat for the kid. So there's less temptation to whine to get down and run around and stuff. For me this is a definite plus.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:54 pm 

She just turned two. She isn't very accustomed to using a car seat since we don't have a car so we only use one on trips.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

We flew at two with a harness, but he spent most of the flight (including take off and landing) on my lap so it was pretty useless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We have the cares harness. It's expensive for what it is, and I'm not sure how much it really helps. It won't really restrain a determined kid, and the five point harness might add some comfort to a kid who's used to that, but.. if yours isn't, I wouldn't necessarily bother. On the other hand, last time we flew with a folding (Diono I think) car seat and that seemed to be an alternating curse and blessing. There's no way her regular Britax seat would fit in an airplane.

Anyway I think it sort of depends on your kid's personality, and how much restraining they'll need. For us the flying part was OK because for the most part distraction with electronics worked well, but that period before takeoff and landing where you have to turn everything off was excruciating for us and everyone around us.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:14 am 

Thanks for the input. The cost is what is holding me back. There is a good possibility that the only reason she might scream would be having to be in a harness. She hates being restrained in her stroller so much and she's usually a good flyer on my lap. I think I'm going to skip it the harness and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We've used the CARES harness and it was a huge struggle to get the kid to sit in her seat with the harness on. We settled on only using it for take-off and landing the first time (which required extensive distractions and bribes). And we basically gave up the second and third time since the hysterics were just too much. There aren't enough bribes in the world to get my kid to wear that harness for an entire flight. That was 60 bucks I should have spent on something else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Sometimes being restrained will make my toddler fall asleep (like she actually needs to be restrained to fall asleep - in the stroller, for example). I am having a hard time imagining convincing her to be in a car seat for an entire flight, though. Think of all the space available to play in without the big car seat in the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The CARES seems like it would be a good compromise between full on carseat and not having that feeling of sleep-inducing restraint (for kids who are used to that, like mine). At 18 months it worked sort of well, at least for sleeping through the return trip from Tokyo. (The flight out was all during waking hours and basically hell, incl for the poor Other Plane Vegan sitting next to us)

One other sort of annoying aspect of the CARES harness is that I've found it kind of easy to forget on the seat when leaving the plane, and you also have to bug the person behind you to put down a tray table temporarily to install it. It really doesn't affect them at all once it's installed, but when you ask to install it, some people will give you a look as though you've just asked to take a dump on their seats.

On this past flight we needed a car seat at our destination anyway, and having that full on restraint actually worked pretty well for us. Unfortunately they dick around so much before takeoff (and so many delays, ugh) that by the time we actually need her to sit we basically needed the car seat to force her to stay strapped in. We'll probably fly back to Chicago at some point soon and I don't know what we'll do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:23 pm 
And you never will.

I'm bumping this thread because poopieboy (3 1/2 yrs old) is leaving in four days to go to England with my husband (I won't freak out... I won't freak out...). Anyway, I need ideas for food to pack him for the flights. We've ordered vegan meals for him, but we all know how hit or miss that can be, so I want to make sure he's got enough to get him all the way there, in case he ends up with nothing else he can eat on the trip. Door to door their travel time will be about 18 hours, so at least a portion of whatever I pack needs to be good at room temp indefinitely. He's been going through a growth spurt, and asks for food ALL DAY LONG, plus I don't underestimate the value of food as entertainment on a long flight, so more is definitely better. Also, my husband is an omni and he pretty much never feeds poopieboy, so the easier I can make it for him, the better. He'll have to worry about his food the whole time they're gone, I just want to make the trip as smooth as possible.

He doesn't really like larabars so I'm going to try and come up with another bar-type thing to test out today or tomorrow that he will hopefully like instead. Or any suggestions for store-bought bars that he might like are welcome!

How long do you think chilled, baked tofu will keep, if I pack it with things like frozen edamame? Dinner on the international flight will probably be served about 8-9 hours after they leave here, but I won't be sending an ice pack or cooler bag.

What about those squeeze fruit pouches (we got some from Costco that have kale and stuff, he loves them)? They're 3.5oz/99g each, and the TSA says liquids have to be 3.4oz/100ml or less, but I've read loads of things saying people take them no problem so I'm hoping it won't be an issue? I was thinking I could freeze a couple and use them to help keep stuff cold longer.

I was considering some little peanut butter crackers - what do you guys think about peanut products on planes? I know that some people are very allergic and I don't want to endanger anyone, but I don't know how big an issue it is because I don't personally know anyone with a severe peanut allergy. It's just so hard to find things that fit every category (room temp, easy to transport, non-messy, finger food, picky preschooler friendly, vegan...) that I don't want to rule out one of the few things I know he'll eat without good cause.

Other things I've considered: dried and freeze-dried fruits, Teddy Grahams (the cinnamon and chocolate ones are vegan), clementines, instant oatmeal packets (I figure they can give him a cup and hot water when they do the morning coffee/tea service?), Primal Strips (which he never gets, so it'll be special)... What else? Help!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:44 pm 

I don't think they'll hassle you about the pouches. I've brought them on with no issues. And freezing some to act as cold packs is a smart idea.

GoPicnic makes a couple vegan snack boxes. I see them at Hudson News, but I'm sure they're way cheaper if you buy them anywhere but the airport. We've had them the last couple times we've flown and they're pretty handy. And they have the novelty factor going for them (hummus tube!).

I think baked tofu would be fine the whole time, especially if packed with cold stuff, but I'm pretty fast and loose in the food safety department.

I like to make mini calzone-type things for flights - they're good at room temp and easy to eat.

A big yes to clementines - I always crave fruit on long flights! And they're a nice change of pace from a lot of the dry/salty snacky stuff you end up eating while traveling.

I personally probably wouldn't take peanut crackers, but my friend's son has the really severe scary peanut allergy and it's made me kind of paranoid. I doubt anything would happen, but there are other things that fill that niche for us.

I hope it all goes smoothly and you get to enjoy at least a little downtime while they're away!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:53 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

All of that sounds great! Except maybe I'd nix the PB, just in case. Sure, there might not be someone with that severe an allergy, but what if there is? You would sure hate to feel like the person who caused such an issue! What about almond/hazelnut butter crackers?

I would say pack the fruit pouches, if there's a problem at TSA, they'll just ask them to be thrown out - no great loss. I bet they'll be fine with them. I don't think you need to worry about freezing them. Baked tofu will keep totally fine for a day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:55 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks! The pouches are a go, then. I will freeze them and pack them with the tofu for his dinner - I'm sure it will be fine. I'd never heard of GoPicnic boxes, but they look great! And they've given me some ideas for stuff to pack, even if we can't find them anywhere! The fruit snacks in one reminded me that Annie's bunny fruit snacks are vegan, and he loves those.

I will leave the peanut butter stuff out. I'm sure I'll be able to pack enough without them, and if my kid was severely allergic I sure wouldn't want someone sitting near him eating peanutty stuff. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:56 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks Mars! I'm feeling better about the baked tofu now that I have two votes that it'll be okay :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm 
Chip Strong

We've also taken pouches and it hasn't been a problem.

Ada likes Luna bars and cliff bars. They are higher on the sugar content but are filling.

What about a healthier muffin? You can also freeze a batch and they'd be good to have while they are in England.

A lot of airport terminals have hummus and crackers so that might be an option if you can find out before hand. I don't think hummus can actually be brought through security though.

Other snacky foods: dried edamame, snap pea crisps, veggie booty, go raw super cookies, raisins, granola bars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:27 pm 
And you never will.

Oh, he likes the brownie clif bars! I'll send a couple of those. Thanks!

I hate to be lazy, but I don't think I'll have time to actually make much (if anything) to send with them. I'll have my cousin's baby 11 hours tomorrow and Tuesday, then my weekly big baking order on Wednesday, then they leave Thursday, so I'm trying to stick with things I can buy. That said, I could definitely make and freeze a batch of muffins tonight, so I may do that!

I've armed my husband with a list of things he can buy at the airport just in case they get stranded, and hummus is definitely on the list! And now so are the GoPicnic boxes thanks to Pinko!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My experience with packing food for long trips (2-3 day hiking trips) is:
-a loaf of sliced bread, jar of pb (or almond butter, or sunflower seed butter, although honestly they used to serve peanuts on planes, this is not something that would really worry me), jar of jelly, stack of plastic knives (one real knife if backpacking! No trash, but disposable is easier for flying I think)
-bag of clementines
-bag of homemade trail mix
-instant oatmeal packets and spoons (can make them on the plane in cups)
-clif and Luna bars
For the plane I'd add a veggie or two (carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, snap peas, bell pepper strips).

That menu gets me and my husband through a couple days of breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and maybe dinner. If poopiebaby likes Indian food, you can supplement with tasty bite meals and tj's pre cooked rice. Or instant soups or something. We bring instant camping meals with us, but they are kind of pricey and extra salty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:53 pm 

They still serve peanuts on JetBlue.

We use sunflower seed butter for a PB stand in at school, but I hadn't thought about avoiding it for the airplane. I'm such a crasshole. We are on vacation now and we survived the flight with peanut butter cracker sandwiches (saltine style cracker and peanut butter), trail mix, and clementines. In the past we have done calzones and baked tofu. Primal strips are great because they take my daughter FOREVER to eat. It's great entertainment value.

The airport we flew out of had soy yogurt but it was extremely pricey. I also try to remember to take empty water bottles through security and fill up on the other side. Flying makes me really thirsty.

I bet they will have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

There are savory bars - journey bars I think they're called - that have a few vegan flavors. I haven't tried them but my husband really liked them underway. I'm always on the lookout for interesting, calorie-dense shelf stable stuff for him to take on the boat, since they don't really feed him and he doesn't cook or heat anything up.

I've had no problem taking "baby food" on planes despite the liquid/paste rules. I usually put the squeeze pouches in a gallon ziplock and explain they're for V. Never had a problem. Peter's a little older but if your husband is friendly and explains they're for a kid with a special diet, my guess is they won't bother him.

I think baked tofu sticks would work great. Fruit works well for us. Bagels can be wrapped up with fillings, and the overpriced sprout-filled hummus wrap is fairly ubiquitous at airport delis (I definitely bought one in terminal c of O'hare recently, if he's flying through there!). Does he like olives? Those can be found in shelf-stable vacuum packs.. And United, at least, sells a snack box that is nearly vegan as well as some a la carte items like hummus. Freeze dried apple slices…crackers…nuts… take a look at the graze box website for some ideas, maybe.

As far as the allergy thing goes, I did some research on this after getting into a pointless internet argument over the issue and basically it comes down to this: it is theoretically possible that because of the circulation of air on planes, that if everyone simultaneously opened a pack of peanuts it could set off an allergic reaction. But that involves opening a package with a force enough to potentially make some particles airborne AND a lot of people doing it all at once. As far as I was able to tell there has never been a single case of anyone dying from airborne peanutrons. Usually it comes down to contamination from an uncleaned surface or some sort of physical contact person to person, OR from food being mislabeled. It seems like one of those things that people get really bent out of sorts about because of a theoretical possibility that is just really not likely to actually happen.

Also the go picnic things are nice, but they don't seem to hold that much food, and I think last time we bought some the hummus one was not actually vegan (cookies contained eggs, I think IIRC it was fine otherwise). The sunbutter one is still vegan, I think. I keep meaning to write them a sad note about this. (Random brush with celebrity note: the person who started that company went to my high school. We're everywhere!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

NuGo bars are vegan but they are kinda expensive. (they're like $1.50+ each around here) but they are also kinda big so it might sustain a toddler over 2 servings.

how about throwing together some sort of trailmix with sunflower seeds, raisins, etc?

apple sauce cups? im not sure if apple sauce would be considered liquid or solid but the cup size might be under the limit anyways.
same thing for yogurt cups?

they dont make those squeezy yogurt things in non dairy yogurt do they?

depending on what airline they are flying they might serve pretzels or chips or peanuts. Jetblue i think has blue potato chips? not sure it's been over a year since ive been on a plane.
i would think on a flight that long they must have some sort of free snacky thing and if your husband asked the stewards nicely i bet they would totally go find something for a toddler. i guess it would just depend on whether its vegan or not.

do they still give airplane wings pins to kids on planes anymore or is that considered a weapon now? i know thats not food but he seems like he is right at that magic age where that would be super cool to get.

cut up veg snacks like celery and carrots?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm 

How exciting for poopiebaby (and you)! Which airport are they flying from for the international flight? You might be able to scout out some options ahead of time, both for food but also for playplaces and things to do at the airport (especially if there is a delay or long layover). We've flown many times from a half dozen U.S. airports and all had food for us, but some required a bit of hunting. If they're connecting in Chicago, it's a dream. :)

One of the things F really liked the last time we flew were some pre-packed in little plastic tubs, shelf stable pastas, the kind you'd put in the microwave normally. Our plane food was pretty decent actually, but not Freya-friendly (some sort of curry, both ways), so I'm glad we had some "main meals" type of foods. We picked up things after airport security on most flights too...hummus, fruit, crackers/bread, juice. When they are here, Mr. PB might keep an eye out for nakd bars (http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/na ... -nut-bars/). They are just fruit and nuts (some also have oats and juice), and Freya loves them! We've turned several of her toddler friends onto them too. :)

LP, when we flew in October, Freya got some "captain's wings" from United. The best kid thing we found though was flying on SAS: they handed out this sort of colorforms thing with removable stickers of an airport scene. We played with it long after we got home!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:01 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks you guys! They are connecting in Chicago on the way out (and DFW on the way back), so thanks for the heads-up! I know my husband already did some scouting of the airport, but I will see what I can find too. I told my husband about the GoPicnic boxes (and we looked at some at Target so he knows what they look like and where to look for the word "vegan" on them), but he shouldn't need to buy one unless they get stranded somewhere.

I've got baked tofu, fruit/kale smoothie pouches, animal crackers, raisins, dried strawberries, clementines, oatmeal packets, gummy bunnies, and some of those clif kid brownie zbars. I will pick up some bbq primal strips (the only flavor he likes) tonight. I discovered he suddenly doesn't like edamame anymore, so I'll probably send some sliced cucumber along packed in with the tofu and frozen pouches.

I know that all sounds like a lot, but I want to make sure he's got snacks covered while they are traveling around in the UK as well. And lucky for us he really likes curry, so hopefully the airplane meal will be fine for him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm 

Definitely cover all of your bases..hungry toddlers can be scary! If they are in Chicago very long, there is a cool play space, but also this (between two of the terminals): http://www.messersmith.name/wordpress/w ... 030622.jpg So cool!

For food, CIBO Express has a great selection of vegan stuff to take with you on the plane. We got all sorts of seitan/tofu sandwiches, some salads including a kale one, even silk yogurt! Lots of places to sit-down eat too.

Hope you're all getting excited!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:50 pm 
Semen Strong

I have no tips, but hurrah for PoopieBaby liking curry!

It sounds like you're doing a great job packing snacks! (And don't forget to plan some fun stuff for you on your Momcation <3)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 pm 
And you never will.

I didn't know about the play space or that cool... uh... walkway? But I will tell my husband, thanks! I think their layover is under 2 hours so they will definitely be doing some walking around but maybe not for long. And that's great to know about CIBO Express! I know in my head that everything will be fine, but the more preparedness I inflict on my husband, the better I make myself feel about the whole endeavor.
Tofulish wrote:
And don't forget to plan some fun stuff for you on your Momcation <3)

I've already planned a game night with my older sisters and a couple of friends for one night - we're going to eat scones with clotted cream and play Cards Against Humanity.

And I also planned something so out of character I'm still shocked I did it (and I'm about 50% sure I'll cancel it) - I booked myself a spa day with a massage, facial, and mani/pedi. I've never had a massage or a mani or pedi (but I did get a free facial from a student one time). I might even take myself out to eat and go see a movie that day. Then maybe I'll just bathe in a tub full of champagne and diamonds whilst burning $100 bills. Who knows? My luxury knows no bounds.