| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Maybe this could be a catch-all thread for cloth diapering questions? I know I had a million questions when I was pregnant and trying to decide what to buy. We're using cotton prefolds and covers (I tried several brands and I like thirsties duo and mommy's touch the best). Now that's we're 4 weeks in, I'm wondering:

How often do you change your kids' covers? With the thirsties duo covers, the waterproof material is exposed, so unless it actually gets poop on it I just wipe it out when I change the diaper, and he keeps the same cover most of the day.

I've been folding the diapers in thirds and laying them in the covers, unsecured. It seems to work, but does anybody do any of the fancy folds with pins or snappis? Are there advantages to other methods?

My diapers are starting to feel rough. I'm using Charlie's soap, washing on extra hot and drying on medium. Any tips for keeping them feeling soft?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I want to suggest this website http://www.diaperswappers.com/
my friend cloth diapers (everyone should!) and shes crazy addicted. I wish I could share her tips, but man the cloth diaper world is confusing!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I haven't started yet obviously, but we're doing prefolds and covers too. I have Snappis, but we'll see if they actually get used.

One thing I was wondering about: I have Green Mountain newborn prefolds with some little Bummis and one extra small regular Thirsties cover that I was planning to use for the very beginning - how easy is it to keep these away from the cord stump? Or should I get some disposables with the cutout for until the cord falls off?

Also, how many covers would you say you need in a given size? I have three of the smaller Thirsties Duos, I think, plus the smaller covers mentioned above. I'm thinking I should probably pick up a couple more size one Duos...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, I'm so impressed you can use the prefolds. I got some with the Jillian's Drawers trial and was like huh? How are these supposed to work? There didn't seem to be any way they'd fit in the cover folded in three, so I just gave up. I have no idea how the snappies go on.

We're using mostly bum genius all in ones and some fitteds with covers now. I find the fitteds (kissaluvs, osocozy & green mountain workhorses + thirsties cover) super easy, but my husband always complains about them. God bless him, but man is he lazy in some ways! I'm like come on, it is one more step! If I couldn't figure out the prefolds there was no way he was doing it, that's for sure. He likes the aio's though, and even washes them so that's pretty good.

We have 3 covers, but not a lot of fitteds so the covers get washed pretty often. I'll use them maybe 2 or 3 times and then throw them in the wash with the rest.

We're still using the newborn size of diapers. Kai was 9 lbs exactly on mon 12/13. He has a very skinny waist, so even those didn't fit at first (he was 6lb3oz at birth). We had to use disposables the first few weeks, and even those newborn size leaked a lot out of the top - we probably needed preemie size but didn't think of it at the time. So I'd say it really depends on the size/shape of your baby whether or not you can get them under the cord. But then again, obv. I'm no expert at this so milage may vary.

edit: btw, soon he'll be grown out of the newborn size and I'm going to resell them. I'll post here first if anyone is interested - they're in good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Pinko wrote:
how easy is it to keep these away from the cord stump? Or should I get some disposables with the cutout for until the cord falls off?

Also, how many covers would you say you need in a given size?

I have green mountain prefolds (orange edge) and despite repeated washing and drying, mine never got small enough to fit completely in the newborn thirsties and bummis covers, so because I wanted to keep his cord clear, there was always excess diaper sticking out in back. The newborn size covers have a cord cut out that is adequate, but the thirsties duos (which I love) don't, because they're not specifically for newborns. For the first few days, I'd recommend using disposables until the meconium is out of the baby's system. That stuff is hell to get off.

It's hard to say how many covers you will need. For the first week or so I really sucked at cloth diapering--I wasn't folding the diapers wide enough, so every time he pooped it leaked onto the cover, and we ended up going through 6 or 7 covers in a day. I was really frustrated, but now I have the hang of it and I think 5-6 will be enough to get me through 2 days (I wash diapers and covers every 2 days). Good idea to have some disposable on hand just in case. The hospital gave us a package of 40, we just used those until they were gone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mittenmacher wrote:
How often do you change your kids' covers? With the thirsties duo covers, the waterproof material is exposed, so unless it actually gets poop on it I just wipe it out when I change the diaper, and he keeps the same cover most of the day.

I've been folding the diapers in thirds and laying them in the covers, unsecured. It seems to work, but does anybody do any of the fancy folds with pins or snappis? Are there advantages to other methods?

I've been using the one-size bum genius pocket diapers so I can't really answer your questions. BUT, I recently got a few of their flip covers because I LOVE the idea of reusing just a handful of covers instead of having to wash one for every.single.soiled diaper.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:46 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:

We do prefolds and Thirsties. I usually swap out his cover every time we change him, but if they're not poo-y, then I just air them out. When we wash, all the covers go in the wash, even if they're poo free.

I thought I was going to do fancy folds but the Emperor has always been too fat for Snappis.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:39 pm 
And you never will.

We do prefolds and covers. A friend of mine let me borrow her premie, newborn and smallish prefolds and covers, and my sister gave me a bunch of large and a few medium prefolds so I am super lucky that I've only had to spend about $100 on diapers. I just bought (like a few days ago) a dozen medium (red edge) GMDs and I bought two size 2 Thirsties Duo covers and 2 medium Bummi Super Brite covers. I bought those brands because I liked the size 1 Thirsties cover that coldandsleepy had sent me, and because they and the Super Brites are supposed to be good for long skinny babies, which poopiebaby most definitely is. The covers are still a teensie bit big on him, but he's growing fast and they should last us a long time.

poopiebaby has always had super runny poops, so not pinning or snappi-ing was never really an option. I prefer to pin (I feel like I get a better fit), but I usually use a snappi because that's the only way I can ever get mr. poopie to change him - he refuses to try the pins at all.

I do they same as C&S, change the cover every time I change him, but just let it air out unless it's got poop on it. Then I wash them all with the diapers, about every two days. I use Rockin' Green diaper detergent, and I like it so far. The diapers come clean, I haven't had any stink problems and they stay nice and soft.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

this is awesome for snappis http://diaperpages.com/bikini_twist.php
my youngest is 2 and almost potty trained so I can't remember the early days-but I know we did that with bummis or thirsties covers. As a newborn she wore fleece covers that didn't bug the stump. My son wore fuzzi bunz, was in mediums forever. My daughter wears random pocket diapers, but seems to flood everything-we're watching her sugars. So I just gave up this last week. I do know that the bum genius ones suck for streaker babies so we've had to stick to snaps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

poopiebitch wrote:
poopiebaby has always had super runny poops, so not pinning or snappi-ing was never really an option.

That makes sense. We had some runny poop problems the first week, but since then I've just folded the diapers so they are wider and have not had problems. Walter is kind of a chunk, so I think his michelin man thighs hold everything in place. Maybe once he's crawling and walking we'll have to think about securing the diapers in the covers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:
Walter is kind of a chunk, so I think his michelin man thighs hold everything in place. Maybe once he's crawling and walking we'll have to think about securing the diapers in the covers.

That made me smile. I know exactly what you mean.

It's kind of a blur now, but I know that in the early days, the Emperor basically had liquid poop all the time. Not Snappi-ing meant that the poop got on the inside of the covers, but we only ever had diaper fail (where the poo comes out of the cover and onto, oh, clothing or me or some combination thereof) about twice. It still kinda sucked when we only had three covers to go around. But like I said, he was too fat for Snappis when he was younger!

Now that he's older, I really love the Thirsties covers with the snaps on him. They're a lot easier for me to get onto him when he's squirming and stuff... you don't have to be as precise as with the velcro. And, he can't pull them off. He very much CAN undo velcro and if he's mad at you, he'll look right at you with this extremely vengeful look and rip his diaper off.

Which is hilarious. But messy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aliks wrote:
this is awesome for snappis http://diaperpages.com/bikini_twist.php
my youngest is 2 and almost potty trained so I can't remember the early days-but I know we did that with bummis or thirsties covers. As a newborn she wore fleece covers that didn't bug the stump. My son wore fuzzi bunz, was in mediums forever. My daughter wears random pocket diapers, but seems to flood everything-we're watching her sugars. So I just gave up this last week. I do know that the bum genius ones suck for streaker babies so we've had to stick to snaps.

Dumb question- what are streaker babies?

Also, mitten I think you described my prefold problem. When I folded it the insert didn't reach even close to the sides of the cover. Since Kai was swimming in the covers, but had lots of runny poops, I just didn't see how it could work. I guess I gave up too quickly but since my partner is the main diaper changer now, and daycare soon, I figured it was better to go with the other types anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Aubade wrote:
Dumb question- what are streaker babies?

I'm guessing babies who like to tear off their clothes and diaper. I don't have one of those. I tried to get my kid to run around naked outside to air out a rash, and he balled until I put him back in at least a diaper. Mommy's little never-nude.

The newest version of Bum Genius diapers come in your choice of velcro or snaps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Haha oh! I couldn't decide if it was that or something to do with streaky poop. I guess I should keep this in mind! Somehow I have a feeling kai will be a streaker...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

so nice to see how many people use prefolds! i love them. we use thirsties, bummis and blueberry covers... we use two per day... one on and one airing out. we have 6 in total so that gets us through until wash day. when we had liquid poops, we needed more covers because we always had poop leaking off the prefolds. now that her poops are mostly solid, i barely ever have to wash a cover early. i have a long skinny baby and for me, trifolding never worked. i mean, it worked, but it always seemed to bunch up and shift. snappis are awesome, and really great once they start moving around and resisting diaper changes. i almost never manage a whole diaper change in one go, but at least the snappi holds the prefold in place while i wrangle her down again.

mitten, you might find that using some vinegar in your washes helps the softness. i use about 1/3 of a cup every few washes. i also have to use the dryer to get a soft fluffy diaper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wrote a nice long post last night and then accidentally erased it instead of posting. In the meantime, everyone has given great advice.

The runny poops are entirely breastfed poops- until they start to eat food, they will be that consistency.

For the stiff diapers- are you getting any rash? that would be a big sign that your diapers have detergent residue. if that is the case, wash them and rinse, rinse rinse. I do a cold rinse, wash with a tablespoon detergent, and do another rinse. I have an old fashioned machine, so i just use the rinse part of a reg wash. I have hard water, and the internets say vinegar doesn't help, so i stopped using it. But if you have very hard or very soft water, it can make the rinse difficult. In our old place, we had a softener, and i had to use just over a teaspoon of detergent and always use vinegar and watch during the rinse to make sure there were no suds. At our new place, the water is very hard, and i have to add a touch of iron out to them occasionally to keep them soft. Finally, if you are air drying, they will feel stiff. I air dry about half the time, but i cheat and put them in the dryer for about 10 minutes then hang them. they dry soft that way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made a blog post about CDs awhile back! http://veganmegan.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... s-101.html

I also love this guide to detergent: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

My favorite website to buy them is diaper junction because they have a great preowned selection.

With henry we started with gdiapers and ended up using BG all in ones. I love BG diapers!! With Zelda I tried a little bit of everything because I got CD obsessed. My favorite diapers are the BG AIO one size (elementals?), BG AIOs, and kawaii one size pockets (which are just like BG pockets but way cheaper. I got a bunch for 7.95 each from diaper junction).

I also use youtube a lot to figure out how to do things. cloth diapering especially.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:42 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We have an assortment of prefolds, pockets, all in ones, and fitteds with covers.

Ours are have all stayed soft so far but I always throw some Nellie's Dryer Balls in with 'em.

I still breastfeed only so poops are pretty runny, but if I was using prefolds without snappi'ing them I'm pretty sure we'd have blowout central all the time. Snappis are super easy to use, they just look all weird, but they definitely help hold things together which leads to good containment, and I certainly don't want to be playing around with diaper pins. However, I tend to like the pocket diapers while my husband prefers the fitteds + covers. We use the prefolds as boosters for overnight now as they are too small for our chunky monkey anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

This is all good advice. Walt does have a rash, so maybe we're not rinsing all the soap out. We have an HE washing machine. I'm going to add another extra rinse and try vinegar in the second-to-last rinse and see if that helps. That chart Megan linked to also said that some babies react to Charlie's even though it's hypoallergenic, so if changing our wash routine doesn't work we might need to change detergents.

How often do you guys disinfect your diapers, and what do you use? Ours are a month old, and though they don't smell, it's probably time for some bleach or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

mittenmacher wrote:

How often do you guys disinfect your diapers, and what do you use? Ours are a month old, and though they don't smell, it's probably time for some bleach or something.

If the diapers smelled gross when coming out of the wash (instead of like nothing, or sweet and fresh) then I would rinse them again with some vinegar or tea tree oil. Only if there was a serious rash or persistent icky smells would I use Bac-Out or bleach. Honestly, in the nearly two years we cloth diapered, I think I only used bleach maybe 3-5 times. No disinfecting required!

Also: I used Allen's and it was the only soap that didn't give Uli a rash. I don't know what was up with her! Or maybe it was the only soap that could still rinse well even with our hard water. Anyway, it worked really well. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I do a vinegar soak if they start to smell, but I never do any disinfecting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 pm 

mittenmacher wrote:

I only disinfect when things start to smell. I use non-chlorine bleach plus a bit of baking soda in the wash and vinegar in the first rinse.

Lydia gets diaper rash even with lots of rinsing, and varying the detergent doesn't seem to help much either. The only solution I've found that works is fleece liners and diaper rash cream. I bought some cheap polar fleece from the fabric store and cut that into liners. I use Boudreaux's natural butt-paste, but it unfortunately contains beeswax, so I know most vegans wouldn't want to use it. I've read that many people have issues with Boudreaux's original formula staining cloth diapers, but I haven't had any problem with natural formulation. I've had a lot of problems finding a diaper rash cream that doesn't contain objectionable ingredients and is safe to use with cloth diapers, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14 pm 

Another question: how do you guys deal with stained covers? My covers are getting icky stains from major poop blowouts, but I'm afraid to use harsh stain removers like non-chlorine bleach or oxyclean baby.

(Thanks so much for starting this thread mitten!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

helbury wrote:
Another question: how do you guys deal with stained covers? My covers are getting icky stains from major poop blowouts, but I'm afraid to use harsh stain removers like non-chlorine bleach or oxyclean baby.

I am just living with the stains :) Nobody sees his diapers but me, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:31 am 
Married to the wolfman

Re: stains, we just sun the hell out of the diapers and the covers.

Of course, that's not really possible this time of year. So all of our diapers look nasty right now. Oh well.

I occasionally remember to put some vinegar in the diapers when I soak them, but it's rare. I am the laziest cloth diaperer ever, and I can own that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next