| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I would just wash it and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Our cotton prefolds are only washed once a week so I think you'll be fine.

(We use a service)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

bumping this to offer once again: anybody want these 2 size Small Bum Genius all-in-ones? They fit Sierra up to 17lbs...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ooh, up to 17 lbs? They might fit my off-the-charts small 5 month old twins then. I'll PM you after I get the kiddos in bed...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

they totally will, helbury! My Sierra is 17lbs at 13 months old. PM me your address if you'd like and I'll mail em out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hello all. I'm getting very frustrated with diapering in general. We have so many leaks that I have to change Vivian's clothes several times a day. It's the most frustrating at night when I have to change her pajamas and bedsheets. I'm currently using gdiapers with cloth inserts and we get leg leaks. I've tried all their suggestions and just wrote them an email asking for more help. I tried switching to disposables as night starting with Earth's Best and Seventh Generation. Same problem. So then in frustration I bought Huggies with their "superior leak protection". Same problem. I've tried prefolds and Fuzzibums pocket diapers. Same problem. My friend came for a visit this past weekend and was flabbergasted as the problem. She told me she NEVER had a leak problem with either of her girls. Is it me? Today I put a Thirsties wrap over a disposable and no leak but I don't want to use disposables. Heeeeeeelp!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Leg leak? I'm guessing it is not tight enough around the thigh... Dont be scared to make it tighter. As long as 1 finger can fit in between, its fine.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out that her (homemade) detergent had destroyed the elastic in the covers. If you know the legs are leaking, you could try using a prefold with the outer edges rolled up for extra absorbency and you can also put V onto waterproof sheet or a few prefolds. L doesn't like to wear diapers at night sometimes, so I generally let her fall asleep without them on, on a bed of prefolds and that soaks everything up. She is mostly dry overnight at this point, but waking up in someone else's pee is a major bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't think it's an elastic issue if it happens with sposies too though

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Thirsties wrap over a 'sposie worked, but nothing else did? Sounds like you have a very heavy wetter to me. Maybe try a cotton prefold with a hemp doubler (or more than one if they're small). You'll want the cotton prefold to be against babies skin, and the hemp doubler under that. Cotton absorbs more quickly than hemp, but hemp is more absorbent than cotton.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, but have you tried just a prefold + wrap cover for daytime wear? Sure, you'll probably need more at night, but I'd hope that would work during the day (assuming diaper changes at least every 3 hours, but I usually change every 2 hours for my 5 month olds).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Aside from the frustration of the leaks, the other problem is the inconsistency of them. Just when I think I figured out the problem it happens again. One night the disposable will last all night without leaking, the next night it leaks within an hour. I tried the gdiaper with two cloth inserts at night and there were no leaks. Tried it again the next night and it leaked. Today I used prefolds under a thirstie a couple of times and they didn't leak but they have before and they will again. So tonight I have her in a Huggies with a thirsties wrap. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

After nearly 21 months of cloth diapering out of blue we're starting to get leaks. Like major leaks (all pee). Sometimes it seems like the pee misses the diaper all together and goes straight to the floor, shopping cart, pants, or whatever else is in their way. Literally twice when this happened I went to check her diaper and the diaper was completely dry. It was like it teleported out of her diaper. Guineapiglet isn't the super chunky baby she used to be. She's now a long, lean toddler but the diapers (Bum Genius 4.0 pockets) still seem to fit her really well. But obviously something is amiss if pee keeps escaping. As I'm writing this I'm think this hasn't happened with our stash of Bum Genius Freetime All-in-ones.We got stuck today in the middle of IKEA with pee all over 1/2 her shorts and no change of clothes because...well...we haven't needed to carry a change of clothes in well over a year. Can anyone shed any light on the issue?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I wish I had some help for you GP, but babynut has never been a heavy wetter.

Well folks, my journey with cloth diapering has come to a close, at least with this kid. I stopped my service last week because it just doesn't make sense for us anymore. Babynut is using the potty enough each day that it was too expensive (flat rate for the week, not per diaper). It's been kinda sad for us! I guess it's one of the first big reminders that she's toddler-nut more than babynut at this point. What happened?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

GuineaPig, have you read this? http://www.cottonbabies.com/blog/2009/0 ... lling.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:02 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks for that Stuck! Someone had told me to use essential oils in dial laundry so its good to know that that can ruin your diaps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah I wouldnt do that, Tlish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:26 am 
Inflexitarian

Thanks stuck. Yep, I read that article. Everything I google basically says the same thing but none of those are our issue. We change frequently, she's not a heavy wetter, the diapers aren't repelling, we use Nellie's laundry soap so there's no issue with the soap, and the fit is good. Sigh...The mystery continues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:33 am 
Inflexitarian

I spoke too soon! I think the mystery has ended. I finally found an article that seems to make sense for our situation. This is probably why it never happens with the all-in-one's but does happen with the pockets. This also explains why it doesn't happen all the time but some of the time. We only have a small stash of all in one's I think about 6 or 7 so I can't convert totally to them but I'll be sure to only use the all in one's when we go out. http://www.happybabycompany.com/Leaks_b_11.html

"2. Toddlers often have this problem because they drink a lot of liquids and they hold their pee for longer, so when they do pee, it comes out very quickly and forcefully, called "flooding." This is usually only a problem with pocket diapers as the stay-dry inner layer requires a few moments for the pee to pass through. This stage of the baby's development usually passes, but it can be solved by using natural-fiber pockets or all-in-ones or fitteds and covers."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh yeah the flooding... I remember that with Sam... It was like a major fountain when he finally peed. Diaper couldn't absorb fast enough.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:16 am 
Semen Strong

So interesting GP! We have been doing really well with reminding L to go potty whenever we're out, and it has cut down on our wet diapers a lot. I know Bradley is interested in the potty, so maybe that would be an option for you as well?

And Butternut, congratulations on Babynut potty-training and for using cloth for as long as you did! I think its so much harder to do when you're in an apartment and don't have your own washer-dryer! Also, its kind of amazing to realize that our little babies are now big toddlers (clearly we need another playdate!)!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:53 am 
Inflexitarian

Thanks for the suggestion Tofulish! We're not deep enough into potty training to try going outside the home yet and public bathrooms totally gross me out so night-time dryness and going in public restrooms are probably going to be the last items we cross off the list. I did find some nifty toilet covers that cover every inch of the entire toilet that I will be using when the time comes http://www.amazon.com/PottyCover-Dispos ... ilet+cover

Developmental steps are really important to us and right now she's not pulling down her pants consistently so until she's able to consistently pull down her pants we probably won't go much further into potty training than our current routine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We had a really busy, but fun day yesterday. Lots of different things planned, met up with a bunch of different people, drove probably 6 hours total... But I was most excited for our stop at a real, live cloth diaper store!! I've ordered everything we have online, so I couldn't wait to see all the different diapers and goodies. At this point, we don't really NEEd anything, but I still bought two hemp doublers to try at night, a diaper cover and a BG one-size insert to replace one I lost. I already want to go back!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:13 am 
Inflexitarian

I can relate Kdub! I get excited when I get to see cloth diapers at a store and when there is a cloth diaper sale. We have more than a full stash and yet I'm still pulled when I see a cute new diaper. Target now has Charlie Banana cloth diapers, I love that CD is becoming main stream enough to have a line carried at Target but literally every time I go to Target I know find myself checking out the latest CD they have in stock. I wish I could find a store that had cloth training pants. I'm just not in the mood to look around online and do all the research and guesswork that I did picking out cloth diapers for training pants. I believe it was Tofulish who made a really great recommendation on cloth training pants but for the life of me I can't remember which ones she recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What are opinions on the necessity of a diaper sprayer?

We didn't cloth diaper Will until nearly a year, so the dirty diapers have never been a big deal. We're planning to cloth diaper #2 from the start, so I'm wondering if a sprayer is a wise investment or something we can skip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

We cloth diapered Henry from 10 days and haven't used one. I don't think there's ever been a time when I really wished we had one, so I'd say definitely not a necessity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 53  Next