| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

We're ordering doublers, thanks for the recommendation! Any advice for how many to get?

He's been leaking more the last couple days, and we haven't done anything differently--so I think he's starting to outgrow his prefold size.(He's in the new born size, which is for 8-10 lb babies, and while he's not 10 lbs yet, I bet he's getting close.)

Also, the poor little guy has pretty bad-looking diaper rash. We change his diaper fairly often (he's only 2 weeks, so we're changing diapers all the time) and put zinc oxide cream on it a couple times a day... is there anything else I can/should be doing? It doesn't seem to bother him (i.e., no crying when I wipe it clean and/or put ointment on it), but it bothers ME because of how uncomfortable it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Honestly the one time BP had a real bad diaper rash I put her in disposables til it went away. They keep moisture away from the skin better. Other than that frequent changes, zinc oxide and naked time to let the skin air out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

We had 3 doublers, because we never went more than three days without doing diaper laundry. And while Henry never had a bad rash, when he started to get red we'd give him as much naked butt time on top of a pile of prefolds as we could.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'd suggest using either a zinc oxide or regular cream at every change. Disposables seem to cause nappy rash for us but it's worth a try for sure. What wipes do you use? I would suggest using plain water or chamomile tea with a teaspoon to coconut oil with cotton wool or reusable wipes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thank you! We just use washcloths with water for wipes. Naked time seems like a good idea, though I'm afraid of being sprayed, haha. I wasn't sure how often to apply the zinc oxide, so I'll do that more often. It's looking better today for the first time, which is good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Coconut oil is not a bad diaper cream, or try mixing some petroleum jelly in with the zinc oxide, so you have the healing benefits of the zinc oxide mixed with the barrier benefits of the vaseline. This can be tricky to wash out, although it's never been an issue for me. I really like Bepanthen (I got, like, 4 free samples when I was pregnant with Vax) because it's like the aforementioned combo.
Beetroot had a bad rash that would not shift until I put him in disposables for a few weeks. It was a BAD rash. I think it was because I didn't know what fabric softener was (my mom used dryer sheets, but never liquid fabric softener as far as I know) and used a free sample to wash a load of diapers. Derp.

BTW, if you ever want to level up from water and wash cloths, you can make your own butt spray with water, a squirt of Dr Bronner's or baby soap/shampoo, and a few drops of tea tree oil (some people add lavender oil, too). Vax gets some seriously stinky crotch sometimes and the spray is nice for that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 am 

I've just found out the lovely nappy cream I've been using has got both lanolin and beeswax in it. Eurgh. I got it when A was 2 weeks old as the vegan one I had researched gave her a rash and for some reason I was convinced it was fine. So disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

all our diaper covers smell like pee.
we only use them once (ie we dont use one cover for several diaper changes) and we wash them with the diapers.

can you strip diaper covers or is that just the diapers themselves?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:47 pm 

You should definitely be able to do the strip wash on the covers. I think you just shouldn't tumble dry them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

According to cloth diaper university you can strip covers but I've never done it myself!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have some really dummy questions about cloth diapers. i feel so stupid, ive been using cloth diapers for almost 3 years and i dont really know anything about them.

we've been having issues with leakage through the covers lately and we're basically at this point just going to say screw it and use disposables and hope potty training is soon.
the issue we're having is not leakage around her legs just straight leaking through the covers. at this point we use prefolds with covers exclusively. at first we thought we basically just destroyed the covers because they accidently went through the dryer on high a few times but then we had the same thing happen with covers that are only a couple months old that I KNOW never went through the dryer on high.
i think the issue is flooding (for those of you unfamiliar with the term as i was it's basically when your kid gets older and their bladder gets bigger and they also have the ability to control their bladder better but eventually since they are still wearing diapers they just let loose and pee it all out and it's more than the diaper can handle all at once.)
sometimes it just seems like a deluge. yesterday she was standing in the hallway and all of a sudden i hear "big poopoo right there, big poopoo right there" and there was a pile of pee. at first i thought it was one of the dogs because she was fully clothed wearing a diaper but it was small for the size of our dogs and sure enough her pants were wet and it was dripping down her leg (please note it wasnt that the diaper was too loose on her)
then when you change one of these diapers they are DRENCHED so bad the cover is also wet on the inside. and i dont think it's that we arent changing her diaper often enough i think it's one giant pee.

SO here are my questions:
1. i have heard of stripping diapers. i have never done it but would that help? it's just a prefold and we dont use any creams or ointments on her so what exactly would be building up in the diaper that would need to be stripped?
2. because she is so small we have her in what i think is considered size 2 prefolds (i call it medium because i had three sizes given to me and we are using the middle size). she's amazingly getting a bit big for these around the middle and my husband wonders if there isnt enough material to soak up the pee. this sounds good on the one hand but on the other hand would a couple more inches of cloth really make a difference??????
sadly i sent all my large sized prefolds to my SIL who is pregnant because i could never envision BP fitting in them they seemed ginormous. i can probably get some back. we are going to visit them in a few weeks so i could poke around myself so i dont feel like im going to make them go rooting through things they packed away for later (she is still pregnant, baby was due a few days ago)

im kind of sick of the whole cloth diaper thing but i think a part of me died when we decided to start just using disposables

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:46 pm 

1. You generally strip for a build up of detergent or ammonia.
2. It's worth a try. I would also try a bamboo flat, rather than cotton. I would also research different folds. The nappy lady uk site has lots of information.

Have you heard of elimination communication? It's interesting to read about and might help you with some early potty training ideas. Though I couldn't do it properly myself,it is interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hey guys - we are cloth diapering and at four weeks have encountered our first diaper rash. I know this has been addressed in this thread, and apologize for bringing it up here - I just haven't had time to go back to find the previous instance (if anyone has a link, I'm happy to look at that instead!)

We ended up just going to disposables for a few days with some diaper cream from the hospital (we used some desitin, until I figured out the slightly fishy smell was indeed cod liver oil - gross!!), and it's mostly cleared up. What kind of diaper cream do you all use with your cloth diapers? Or do you just use a liner or disposables when using a cream...?

Also, we are thinking that perhaps it's the overnight diapers that might be causing the problem - we change it when she cries at night, but when she sleeps it's hard to know if we should change, so it ends up being about every four hours or so. Does anyone wake up their newborn every two hours for a diaper change? Mr. D wants to use disposable diapers at night, but they do such an awful job with big breastfeeding poops that I'm wondering if some kind of stay-dry cloth doubler might be better. Thoughts? And if so, how many should we get? I was thinking enough for a couple of nights - four or five? I'd probably get them from Green Mountain Diapers...

I am actually surprised by how much I've come to dislike disposable diapers - I really thought I'd like them more. Same with disposable wipes - they seem to irritate Little D's skin. Cloth wipes are awesome!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

If my memory serves me correctly people say there is no such thing as cloth diaper compatible diaper cream. You could try coconut oil more as a preventative barrier to prevent diaper rash maybe???

I think I changed babypunks diaper when she woke up in the middle of the night. I don't think I did it every time though (???)

There was never a question of having to wake her up though because basically has never slept

To help get rid of diaper rash (babypunk really only had it once) we used disposables, a diaper cream that had zinc oxide in it (important!), and lots of naked bum time ( you can lay them on a pre fold in case they pee)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I meant to say we changed her diaper when she woke up in the middle of the night to nurse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LisaPunk wrote:
I meant to say we changed her diaper when she woke up in the middle of the night to nurse

Oh, yeah, she definitely gets changed when she wakes up to nurse. But we've been fortunate enough to have some long blocks of sleep which I think might be contributing to the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:42 pm 

Yeah just use doublers or my favourite, bamboo terries. We use titanium oxide to clear nappy rash and fleece liners and have never had any issues with them ruining the cloth. If you are in the UK waitrose bottom butter is meant bto be the best every day cream you can use with cloth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

God I am beyond embarrassed - I see the same topic ON TOP OF THE PAGE. Sorry guys. Still adjusting to incremental sleep. Thank you for bearing with me. And rebeccaxx and LP - thank you for the advice and for not making me feel like an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

We use disposables at night and don't change unless baby lobster poops (which is rare at night). Before bed I slather her bum with coconut oil as a barrier.

We had a bit of a diaper rash I over the holidays when we were traveling and using disposables full time. I gave her a lot of diaper free time on top of prefolds and that seemed to help.

You can buy rolls of disposable liners for your diapers for creams. Thst was going to be my plan of attack if it got worse.

In an unrelated note I sold 2 of her new-born AIOs and it kills me to get rid of them. THEY'RE SO TINY. I didn't even like them! But I'm crying over selling them.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We didn't cloth diaper, but on top of the great advice you've gotten about those I wanted to say we had the same issue. I think it's just a thing with some babies, at first when they start sleeping slightly longer stretches but before they start peeing a little less they get rashy. With Little S it seemed like her skin adjusted after a while and she was fine again. She'd get a little rash, we'd do zinc oxide creams and diaper free time, she'd be clear for a week, then she'd get another minor rash, repeat, but after a couple cycles it stopped. Hang in there!

OH and the best diaper rash related advice I got was to always dry her bottom thoroughly. We keep clean dry baby washcloths (but dry cloth wipes would work too) in all diaper bags and changing stations, and just toss them in the laundry if she pees on them or they get dirty. After cleaning with whatever sort of wet wipe we pat dry to make sure she is really super dry before putting on cream or closing up the diaper. (I color coded so we'd never mix up a butt washcloth that was still in use with a face one just in case. White ones = butt, colored ones = face and hands, in our house. ;D)

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Lobster - that sounds like a good plan. We can try coconut oil, too. Just got some liners as well.

Mack - that IS very helpful. I was thinking it was something with the kind of detergent (we use a free & clear detergent - no dyes or perfumes) or how much it was rinsing out (we are experimenting with using less detergent, since we have a toploading HE machine, which I understand is somewhat of an oddity), but that it might be just a phase was something that never occurred to me! Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Has anyone here done cloth diapering part time?

My partner is open to the idea of cloth diapering, but I doubt I'll find a willing daycare and my parents are not willing to keep bags of poopy cloth around for me when they're with the kid.

I'm thinking of using cloth whenever one of us had the kiddo and sending kiddo off in disposables to daycare and/or grandparents' house. I've seen random lecturey blogs about this, but haven't actually had a more conversation-type-thing with someone doing it? If that makes sense?

A part of me is wondering if it would be worth the investment. As of now, my goal is to buy used diapers or cheap ones like Kawaii brand. I also added a few to my (tentative) registry. But with so many people thinking disposables are better at night. . . I don't know. Would it be worth it? Should I just buy a small handful? Some places suggested 10-12 for part time diapering, but even that seems like a lot. I just don't know!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We part-time cloth diaper - we use disposables at night and when we travel. I think cloth is still worth it, especially the first year, when you're going through so many. Cloth wipes were especially awesome - they wipe better and didn't irritate our little one's butt like disposable wipes did. We use cloth wipes regardless of what kind of diaper is used.

BTW, the whole "bags of poopy cloth" is not nearly the big deal it sounds like. Get a couple of large diaper wet bags with liners and a zipper (you can get them on Etsy) and just make sure to start a new bag the next day. If you have access to a washer and it's an overnight stay you could even wash them there. My MIL was skeptical about cloth diapers and now she diapers with prefolds and a snappi like it's nothing. The only exception for poop is when baby starts eating solids - we use a diaper liner in cloth then, because poop is more pasty and smelly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

(For sure buy a dozen for a newborn. We got three dozen and ended up using disposables more than we expected, but the extra meant fewer laundry trips.)

Not sure this is useful, but we got prefolds (cheaper than pocket diapers or all in ones) from Green Mountain Diapers and cloth wipes there too. We used the angel fold, which you can watch on Youtube - pretty easy to get the hang of.) I'd recommend 4 snappis, too, just because they're easy to misplace when you're switching between disposable and cloth. (You might be more organized than our house though!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:36 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Back when our babe was a newborn we used more of a mix- disposables at night and when out and about, traveling, things like that. One thing to consider is will you be doing a loaf of laundry just got diapers or are you willing to mix clothes in with them? If mixing, you coul just start with a couple and see how it goes, get more if you like it. I don't know what your milk plan is but exclusively breastfed poop just disappears in the wash magically somehow so I have mixed our clothes with diapers with no ill effects. But if that grosses you out then get Enough for their own small load.

Fwiw, I have friends who send their kids to an actual daycare, and their daycare will use cloth but only the all in ones, which operate basically the same as disposables. (My husband's and my work schedules are not compatible with daycare, so I didn't personally look into this, we just have individual sitters/family so there are no policies, they just use what we got.)

also fwiw, I know it's not your decision but I really don't think changing cloth diapers is grosser than disposables. (In regards to your mom.) we send our kid with a travel wet bag in the diaper bag for used diapers, which is waterproof and zips closed, and I can wash it regularly with our diapers so it doesn't get smelly. I empty it when we get home into our larger diaper laundry bag so it's empty if he goes there ( or out anywhere else) two days in a row. Unless your parents are going to walk every poopy diaper to their outside trash immediately upon disposal, I don't really understand it being grosser? Also, my experience is that I am more likely to get more poop everywhere (me, baby, changing pad, baby's clothes...) with disposables than cloth, because while disposables are great for absorbing pee, I think cloth actually do better at absorbing and containing poop, plus you can us the clean part of the diaper for a first pass at wiping. I also think blow outs are more likely with disposables for the same reason. Just today, in fact, I saw as friend who's got a 3 month old, who uses disposables, and she pooped while I was holding her and it leaked out the top OF THE FRONT, onto her onesie, and apparently it was the second time today and my friend ran out of changes of clothes! that to me seems grosser than my cloth diapers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next