| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I would say we generally use one cloth wipe per diaper change, but sometimes need two, either because it's a big mess or more frequently, because of peeing mid- diaper change after I've already put wipe number one in the wet bag. I also use cloth wipes for wiping noses, drool, spit up, etc. so I think it's useful to have extras- I probably have about 50 (estimated as I was gifted one set of a dozen, but also cut up flannel for a majority) for full time cloth, but don't get through every single one before washing. I'd get at least 1.5-2x as many wipes as diapers, so it sounds like you're doing good. (I'm assuming a set is 12.) You can always get/make more if you want to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Used cloth will be more absorbent! I wouldn't be against used cloth. As for wipes, I have about 40 for butts and 20 for hands and faces. You can just buy some material or get an old towel and cut it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm definitely pro-used, but I'm using my "registry" partly as a check-list and then whatever's left is there for backup. The used diapers sell FAST in my local group. Like. Holy shiitake (hehe).

With exception of some fun things from my mom, so far everything has been used. I'm cheap AF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:23 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I bought most of my cloth used, too. The kawaiis were secondhand but unused...I luckily found a woman who had bought a stash but then didn't use them and so she sold them. But my other diapers (prefolds, covers, etc.) were all used.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

For wipes, I bought several 6-packs of washcloths that were on sale at Walgreens after the back-to-school (college) sale period was over. I think it was $1.50 for each 6 pack? They have worked out GREAT for us, so keep an eye out at target/walmart/cvs/walgreens in case you catch a similar sale.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So flannel and terrycloth both work for wipes? And you just get them wet with water, right? I might just buy some cheap fabric from Walmart or something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

One of my tricks is to make butt-spray. I just use a squirt of either Dr. Bronners or any liquid baby soap, a few drops of tea tree oil, and water in a spray bottle. Then I spray the baby and wipe. Repeat if necessary. I use old terry cloth rags. A friend of mine used chopped up t-shirts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I always just used water in a spray bottle.

After we started solids I switched to disposable wipes. I also used microfleece diaper liners so I didn't have to spray. Things get a lot more...icky...after you start solids! But for the first 6 months it was so easy peasy.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:25 am 
***LIES!!!***

We bought a million baby washcloths to use as wipes and just used water on them (for poops). They worked fine even in the transition to solids. They're all still totally usable after 5+ years. And they clean well enough that we can still use them for basically every situation where you'd want a wipe, cleaning cloth, cotton swab, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think I'll start with T-shirts and register for a shitton (teehee) of cheaper washcloths. I doubt my kid will be ready for bigger diapers before the sip n see/post-birth shower, anyway.

I have a question on care. . . I have a couple sales lined up with some people in the local swap group and I'm trying to determine for sure that cloth is an option for me. Care is a big thing, of course.

I watched this video on care, and I'm a bit confused. This lady clearly is lucky enough to have her own washing machine, etc. I am not. She says to do a cold or warm rinse and then do a hot wash and line dry covers (but that she usually tumble dries her inserts and prefolds). She said you CAN tumble dry on low for the covers, but it's best not to.

I went and checked out our laundry facilities again. We have three standard washes: hot, warm, and cold. There's agitation settings with delicate and super, etc. There isn't a prerinse option. I'm not sure if she means a separate rinse cycle or the rinse that happens before the clothes wash. Probably separate, since I think most machines you just have the certain temp wash and certain temp postrinse. Also, the dryer has three options: normal, permanent press, and delicate. Neither machine gives much info beyond that. The washer does specify what is hot, warm, and cold (they're labeled "whites, colors, bright colors" on the buttons but specified under the lid), but the dryer doesn't say if there's a difference in temp between settings. I think it might just be a difference in agitation, honestly.

So what I'm GUESSING is. . . If doing diapers from dry, I'll need to do a separate load on cold/bright colors, without detergent. After that run, I go back, add detergent, and run it on hot/whites. When it's all done, I line-dry my diapers, but if I happen to be doing two loads at once or will have another load ready soon, I can throw the actual stuffings in the dryer with my clothes. I will need to buy a drying rack, something I lack because I tend to only line dry bras and a handful of sweaters. Except. . . you need to dry flat, so they don't wear, right? So maybe just designate a table?

Two loads in a row on the washer without switching to the dryer might peas off my neighbors. Once I was two minutes late getting to the laundry room and I walked in on a man ranting about how my laundry wasn't moved yet. It was literally less than three minutes. It was ridiculous.

Is this why people soak? If I presoak, can I just go straight to the hot cycle? This would take more time, but I'd have less conflict and would save $1.75 per load. Although I guess since I'm not drying, it's not that ridiculous price-wise to wash twice.

This is confusing. I'm glad I'm giving myself five months. Help me!!

ETA: Even though most of my adult life has been in places without free/utilities-and-detergent-cost-only laundry, I have been fortunate enough to at least live somewhere with laundry facilities on site, every time. I've never used a laundry mat. Maybe they have options? I would assume it's about the same since it's all coin operated, but maybe there's more options? I at least have a (barely reliable) car. It's not my fave option, but if it might be better. . . it exists.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't do separate wash cycles or anything fancy. I just wash on the most intense settings I can get on my machines (we have two in our basement, that we share between a 6 unit building, so I just use whichever one is open). They both have something like a heavy-duty cycle, I do an extra hot wash, and both have an extra rinse cycle which I believe is at the end after the regular detergency cycle.

I only have cotton diapers though, my impression is that fancy care routines are more important regarding smell if you have non-cotton types of cloth. I also don't care about staining, which lots of people do for some reason I don't understand, so maybe two wash cycles are to help prevent stains?

I tumble dry low- I have tried line drying, and the diapers get very stiff in our courtyard and don't seem like they'd be as nice to wear so I usually stick to machine drying now. I frequently air dry the covers/wet bag/anything with the PUL fabric, just by laying flat on top of the drier or on the edge of my laundry basket, and the covers dry super fast so usually by the time I come back to get my dried laundry they are done too. I have machine dried with no ill effects, but I think it helps extend the life of the covers to air dry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I think it's a bit of trial and error for figuring out what works for you. Babies not on solid food yet tend to make less stinky of diapers. 2 year olds can make really wretchedly stinky ones that I found always needed two washes (one cold, one hot). I've always used an extra rinse, but my kids have pretty sensitive skin.

I have known other cloth diapering parents who wash their diapers just like other clothes without a problem, so just try things and see what works!

Re:covers-- line drying in the shade is probably best for a long life. I was pretty sad that my thirsties duos size two didn't make it till potty training with my oldest, but I did tumble dry and put them in the sun a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't have much outdoor space to speak of (a little balcony that doesn't face the sun), so I'd be drying indoors. No worries there!

Thank you both for the tips!

I don't really get the stain thing either (they're literally designed to be shat in?!), but maybe it's because a lot of people sell their used ones after potty training. Stains might make something look more run-down than they really are?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

helbury wrote:
Babies not on solid food yet tend to make less stinky of diapers. 2 year olds can make really wretchedly stinky ones that I found always needed two washes (one cold, one hot).

This is pretty much it. Once you get to the poop stage where the diapers are still a little smelly after washing is when you need to start doing the cold rinse first. This wasn't even an issue for me until baby #3 (the 4th kid to use the diapers) was 2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooookay so this isn't big enough to post on the Facebook thread since this is still an option BUT it's possible I might be able to find a daycare that's friendly. Apparently most are around here? It's more an issue of price range + availability.

Meaning I need to be sure I qualify for no services ASAP so I can search around. Luckily Children's Cabinet still gives info even if they don't subsidize (I need part-time & flexible care :p I know of one such daycare but OPTIONS are good since it might fill up and what if it's the rare kind that won't allow cloth etc)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Update on the mom situation: she seems to be wanting to buy her own diapers for use at her house and is buying giant things from Costco. I told her I'm 100% on cloth at least most of the time and she's still going to do her thing because she's determined to take out every. single. diaper. in an individual bag. to her dumpster. every change. Given that she wants to watch my kid EVERY WEEKEND, I'm a bit skeptical this will last!

At first I tried the "well putting them in a wetbag and sending them home is no different for you than throwing them out at the end of the day. And I'll only send the modern disposable-like ones" and she was like "um no we're taking them out after every change." ?!?!?!??! Good luck with that, lady! However people want to spend their money is fine with me, I suppose! As long as she doesn't ask for donations after running out or something. If that comes up I'll be like "sure! here's a wetbag and my diapers!" haha.

She will at least be willing to take OFF a cloth diaper and put that single solitary cloth diaper in a small wet bag for me to take home. How is that different from putting them all in, you ask? How indeed. So at least I don't have to coordinate a disposable with going to her house every time, you know? Still using less than I could potentially have to and all.

Daycare situation: looks like we're going tomORROW to tour (maybe), so I guess I'll know then. I at least know that NV has legal literature specifically allowing cloth diapers and I have read the county guidelines. So from here it's just the comfort level of that facility. There seems to only be one daycare around here that has flexible hours AND different blocks of fees depending on how much you use them! So whether I get subsidies or not, that's our place. If they don't take cloth we're officially part timers.

They also conveniently have an opening for the spring. My name is already down. Guh. I hope they let us do our thing. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60