| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

Pinko, in your shoes I'd try ordering a couple of fitteds (eg kissaluvs), a couple of pockets (eg fuzzi bunz), a couple of all-in-ones (eg bumgenius).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:48 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Pinko wrote:
The prefold is longer than the cover, so I fold down the excess and then fold in thirds, but this results in a giant wad of diaper that I can barely get the cover over. If any sticks out, pee wicks onto her clothes. I really cannot grasp how people say they just lay a prefold inside the cover. The prefolds are so big!

Are you tri-folding them with the colored threads at the top & bottom? That might be the issue; they are long that way. I folded mine with the colored ends in (so that when I placed them into the cover it was like I was using them sideways) and they always fit easily for me that way. Maybe that would work for you?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Just wanted to post a link to this blog http://modernclothmama.wordpress.com/20 ... art-cding/, which mentions that Kelly's Closet is offering free shipping on orders of $49 or more and a free diaper (of at least a $22 value) with any $59 purchase. Just type in the code "FREEDIPE" and you can use it up to 2 times. Pretty sweet deal! Here is a link to Kelly's Closet http://www.kellyscloset.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
I let it lay flat there and don't bother folding the part that's folded over into thirds. (Does that make sense?)

Makes total sense and THANK YOU! This was a total light bulb moment for me. Doing this plus a Snappi has made a huge difference. We are now in cloth during the day! Yay!

I still need to figure something out for night time, since she wakes herself up when she wets in the cloth diapers (versus sleeping for a much longer stretch in the crazy absorbent disposables).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Maybe try a fleece liner? They feel dry even when things get very wet.

I've used them on Lydia to help with diaper rash, and they've helped a lot. I would think they'd also be good for babies that don't like wet things against their skin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I ordered some liners from Green Mountain Diapers that are fleece on one side, hemp on the other. Walter is in the same diaper for 5-6 hours at night. The fleece feels pretty dry when I change him, even though the cotton behind it is soaked. You could try something like that,or you could just keep Inez in disposables at night for awhile... it's more important that you get some sleep than that you use your cloth diapers 24/7.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

You guys, I am so mad at some of my cloth diapers right now. I have 5 pockets from one brand and every single motherforking one leaks / wicks. It's so frustrating. I want to cut a bisque. Fortunately we also have a selection of fitteds/covers, other pockets and some AIOs, but I spent a lot on these and they represent about a day's worth of my stash. Grr Argh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm so sorry sneakers!! I have some pockets and AIOs that I thought we'd use for overnights, but we could never get them to not leak (and Ezra isn't a heavy peer overnight). I'm so much happier with our prefolds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

sneakers wrote:
You guys, I am so mad at some of my cloth diapers right now. I have 5 pockets from one brand and every single motherforking one leaks / wicks. It's so frustrating. I want to cut a bisque. Fortunately we also have a selection of fitteds/covers, other pockets and some AIOs, but I spent a lot on these and they represent about a day's worth of my stash. Grr Argh.

Oooh, that's maddening! By any chance are they BG? Ours would leak whenever I went too many times in a row hanging them to dry. I found that their covers were better off being popped into the dryer. (It tightened-up the plastic backing or something.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

They aren't bg, Crantastic. They're applecheeks. My AIO are bg though, and I love them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Does anyone here wash and rinse in cold only? Our hot water line is broken and my husband would like to take this opportunity to just eliminate hot water from the washer completely. I have BG's and Rumparooz by the way, in case this would make any difference...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i use hot, and if it were just prefolds AND i could sun dry, i might try it for a while because its naturally sanitizing, but i understand that the technofabrics in the pockets can hold onto stuff, like ammonia more, so i just don't know- can u try for a week or so? i'd think if it was going to build up you would notice by the third or fourth washing? i have to admit, i never used anything but cold/cold until i did diapers. So yeah, i really have no help, but i know with my husband, a compromise like this would work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Whenever I washed the diapers I used hot/cold, but whenever my husband washed them (which he did more and more just before she was potty-trained) he only used cold/cold. So I don't trust it necessarily, but it didn't seem to have horrible effects in our house. (I'd say towards the end there he'd be washing them 2 or 3 times in the cold/cold, and then I'd be my turn and I'd sneak a hot/cold back in there...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks jildez and Cran! It doesn't seem to be making much of a difference right now, but I feel that it will if I continue on without the hot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I still have no diapers yet, I am not due until mid July, and I am hoping family helps out a bit when we go home for a week, but I wanted to thank everyone for all of this information, it has been a lifesaver. I will post what I get when I do and if they work like I want them to!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh! My favorite diapers have been discontinued - no more bum genius 3.0 all in ones except for size extra small. The good news is, they're on sale for a song - just $9.95 - here: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_inf ... ts_id=1811

Warning though: some people in the comments think they may have gotten seconds, even though they're supposed to be first quality. I ordered a whole stash in medium anyway, since my partner complains any time I try to get him to use another type. They still shipping, so hopefully they'll all be good when I get them.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I live in an apartment with a shared laundry room. Has anyone tried cloth diapering with shared laundry machines? Will there be a problem with detergent build up in the machine? I'm leaning toward using a diaper service to avoid machine issues, but it is a lot more expensive. Might be the only way I can convince my partner to go cloth, though. Anyone ever use a service? How was it?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Butternut wrote:
I live in an apartment with a shared laundry room. Has anyone tried cloth diapering with shared laundry machines? Will there be a problem with detergent build up in the machine? I'm leaning toward using a diaper service to avoid machine issues, but it is a lot more expensive. Might be the only way I can convince my partner to go cloth, though. Anyone ever use a service? How was it?

I've done diaper washing in a laundromat before. With breastmilk only babies, it's not a problem-- poo is sort of liquid and just rinses away with the soap. Once formula or solids enter the picture, then I'd be more loathe to do it in a shared machine just because sometimes you're going to end up accidentally leaving diaper detritus behind, and anyone not related to your baby will probably be appalled by that.

I have friends who use a diaper service and love it. It does seem nice once the poos get nastier... No need for you personally to scrape them off thoroughly or, as I mentioned, wipe diaper detritus out of your washer. And not having to wash diapers yourself is one less thing on your to do list, which can be really freaking helpful for new parents.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Butternut wrote:
I live in an apartment with a shared laundry room. Has anyone tried cloth diapering with shared laundry machines?

We lived in two different apartments when we were cloth diapering our first born. In the first apartment the machines were wonderful. When we moved the machines were horrible and I'm pretty sure they are what helped ruin our diapers. It also cost us a ton to wash and dry them and our machines were cheaper then going to a laundry place. We now share a 2 family with my parents and will be cloth diapering again. My parents use all sorts of horrible laundry detergent and softeners in the machines and that worries me. To try to prevent build up from their left behind soap residue i'm going to wash a load of non diapers first and then wash the diapers and hope that helps with possible buildup.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:37 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Just got birth to potty Bambino Mio set. Mixed reviews online but it is new, unused and cheap. No baby to try it on yet, but quite excited that I can somewhat check off the initial purchase.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:32 pm 

JENNA wrote:
Butternut wrote:
I live in an apartment with a shared laundry room. Has anyone tried cloth diapering with shared laundry machines?

We lived in two different apartments when we were cloth diapering our first born. In the first apartment the machines were wonderful. When we moved the machines were horrible and I'm pretty sure they are what helped ruin our diapers. It also cost us a ton to wash and dry them and our machines were cheaper then going to a laundry place. We now share a 2 family with my parents and will be cloth diapering again. My parents use all sorts of horrible laundry detergent and softeners in the machines and that worries me. To try to prevent build up from their left behind soap residue i'm going to wash a load of non diapers first and then wash the diapers and hope that helps with possible buildup.

Yeah, I didn't even think about all the quarters we'd have to round up with all that extra laundry. The service isn't sounding as expensive now that I'm thinking of this. I was just looking forward to using cloth and saving money by not using disposables. The service probably makes it about the same cost-wise.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I looked into a service this time around and it would have been the same cost-wise with disposables. The rounding up of quarters was so annoying. We were always going to the bank to exchange about $40 for quarters and we would use them all up in no time at all. The bank started asking us if we owned a small business because of all the quarters we were getting all the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 am 
Nooch of Earl

I briefly looked at services. It looks like you're basically limited to prefolds, but it seems to be in the $15-20/week range around here. Might be slightly cheaper than disposables but definitely in the same neighborhood.

Any chance your apartment has w/d hookups? The cost savings over a few years might make buying your own w/d worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 pm 

annak wrote:
I briefly looked at services. It looks like you're basically limited to prefolds, but it seems to be in the $15-20/week range around here. Might be slightly cheaper than disposables but definitely in the same neighborhood.

Any chance your apartment has w/d hookups? The cost savings over a few years might make buying your own w/d worthwhile.

I wish! It is a rule in my building that no one can have w/ds in their apartments, which is pretty common in NYC. And you're right, the services in my area are prefolds only, but it sounds like a lot of people on here like that option best anyway. I would have to buy my own covers and wash the covers myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:18 am 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine who runs Go Lightly an amazing eco store here in NJ recommended the Kawaii diapers - which seem to be a "one size" diaper designed to fit babies between 8 and 36lbs, which are both reasonably priced and pretty darned cute:

http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/products/ ... ay-17.html

If the inserts are microfiber are they more likely to get smelly (as per mel's thread)?

Anyone use these (I think Aubade mentioned them upthread)? Any thoughts? If they seem good, I'd order them through her and support a vegan business!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 52  Next