| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
Semen Strong

We use biokleen and it helps with whiteness. I'd be worried about using something untested because a friend of mine ruined the elastic in her covers rendering them useless with bleach. Also if you use something that isn't approved, you void the warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

OWW- LittleMap turns 4 months today! Which makes me an expert in prefolds ;). We don't worry about the stains. We know the diapers are clean. I wash the diapers + covers + wipes at 60C and once a month I do the diapers + wipes at 85C. It's winter here so they dry on racks in our apartment, no sunning. I use whatever all natural laundry soap is cheapest at the health food store.

LittleMap is about to move to the next bigger size of prefolds (since the big snappies only barely reach now), which I guess means his diapers are always going to be gigantic on him? The next size up are HUGE! He lives for diaper changes and his naked time. He can only do most of his physical tricks like rolling over, holding onto his feet, etc. when he is naked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 pm 
Semen Strong

First, you can fold down large prefolds - I skipped right to the biggest size after the NBs, and I'm happy I did. I started off folding down a few inches and now the toddler ones barely fit. Kiddos grow fast! And second, you can use the NB prefolds in a newspaper fold in a cover without a snappi if you want to continue using them

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:39 am 

we use trifold at night, but it's so bulky he cant close his legs so we snappi during the day. also if he's sitting or playing when he poops, trifold means the poop gets onto the cover. folding down isn't our issue- it's the amount of material between his legs. even snappied with bikini twist (when that still fit him) there is so much fabric between his legs his movements are restricted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 am 
Semen Strong

That sounds odd. What brand of prefolds are you using?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 am 

Right now he is in osocozy infant size http://www.basicbabyshop.com/OsoCozy_Pr ... /os001.htm when we snappi, and econobums when we trifold at night. The next ones which we are about to switch to are Imagine "Smart Fit" Prefold Diapers size Medium https://www.nickisdiapers.com/imagine-s ... dozen.html.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm afraid that my partner is getting fed up with cloth diapering and toddler poops. He asked me last night if there was a thread about the magnitude of vegan toddler poops...we have so much poop! The problem is that every time she poops the cover gets destroyed.

Since we grew out of the newborn period, we have using a bikini twist fold usually without a snappy. That worked well until about two months ago (she about to be 15 months). We have been experimenting with the newspaper fold, but that's not helping. I thing the size is right, too. We recently got a larger size, so it's not like they are too small. Help? How do you keep massive poops contained?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:34 am 
Semen Strong

Where is the poop coming out of? Leg holes or the top? When you said you just bought new ones, I assumed you meant the prefolds, but could your covers be too small?

For comparison, we don't have any issues with newspaper fold and a Thirsties size 2 cover. She doesn't have massive poopsplosions - just a pretty solid and well-formed poop. Is Babynut's poop very liquid?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:49 am 

It stays in the cover, it doesn't get on her clothes. It just gets all over the crotch of the cover. It's coming out of the leg hole. Her poops are soft but not liquidy. We are in thirsties size 2. They seem to fit? I can't imagine her being comfortable in something bigger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 am 
Semen Strong

If its coming out of the legholes, the covers might be too big, or the elastic may have become too weak. A friend of mine had a similar problem, and it turned out that their detergent had made the elastic lax enough that the covers no longer held the poop in. It wasn't obvious when you put them on, they seemed to fit just fine, but they were just a bit looser than they needed to be and weren't gripping her baby's thighs enough. Do you think that might be a cause?

You can modify the newspaper fold to roll up the outside panels of the trifold for extra protection by the legs as well.

We do have a good amount of poop (seriously! Where does it all come from!) but no problems so far. Size 2 Thirsties fit L well and she is a pretty chubby baby. We also bought Econobums which are nice and cheap and I find work well with her, in case you're looking to try some new covers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 am 
Nooch of Earl

FWIW, we've almost always had to consider covers burners with poop. (We don't use prefolds but we do use flips)

I'm having my own CD frustrations - sometimes the pee just overwhelms the diapers, especially the fuzzibunz, and then we get leghole wetness through the pants. I've stripped the diapers, and I don't think it's that they're not absorbent - it's just that the cloth inserts don't absorb very much for the amount of bulk they add. It's not the end of the world, but I would like a cloth diaper that's as absorbent as her size 4 disposables without adding the bulk that a double or triple flip does. *sigh*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut, I don't have an answer for you, but you have my sympathies. I had the same problem with Beetroot's turds unless we were poop psychics (he could pop a turd mid-stride without grunting or anything) and changed him straight away. It didn't seem to matter what kind of diaper we used, either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, I gotta say I have no advice other than invest in more covers if you're running our frequently. I just bit the bullet and have 10 covers that my daughter can wear. I have 6 "nice" ones, and 4 cheaper ones. This way, I can go three days without washing diapers. Poop gets on the cover for us 8 out of 10 changes, and we get at least 2 poops per day.

For really cheap covers, I recommend pull-on ones. I've used both Dappi and Bummis, and while the Dappis are tolerable, the Bummis are actually pretty nice (but more $$).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 am 

Well, I'm glad we are not the only ones with this problem. We have a lot of covers but she usually poops three times a day. Sometimes four. Where does all that come from? I don't think the covers are worn out because its leaking out of the prefold onto the cover. At least the cover is keeping it contained!

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if disposables would be any better because when we were out of town last week and using disposies, we did have poop getting on clothes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Chip Strong

Yeah, we usually have to use a new cover with poop, too. It never leaks out of the cover, but it gets on the gusset elastic. I think we have 8 covers which gets us 2-3 days until needing to do laundry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Same. If he poops, the cover goes in the hamper. Disposables are so much worse with poop--at least half the time it shoots up the back. Yuck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Do you roll in the legs? That was usually a big thing with Sam (my 4yr old) when he was a toddler. If I forgot to roll in the legs, poop everywhere in the covers!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

In my experience, poop (or pee) almost never escapes the disposables we use (huggies li'l movers slip ons). We had that problem around 1-6 months pretty badly, but using the correct size, it never really happens anymore. I really want to find cloth better than disposables (and right now we only use disposables if we're going to an activity or out for the day), but having experienced a few bad messes with cloth when we're out of the house, it's getting harder to justify. Ug. Has anyone else reached a point during toddlerhood where one size cloth diapers just don't seem to be doing the job (esp. with pee)? What have you done? Anybody tried the training flips?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

No, but my son was always on the thinner side so it would still fit really well til he trained at 2.5yrs old, and he wasn't much of a pee-er either. Still isn't.

Training flips? Didnt know they made those now. I've been outta the CD loop since not having a child in cloth for 2yrs. With Eli now, he's only 4months old, so I'm not looking into those options yet lol And lets just say my stash is big enough... I should NOT be looking to buy more haha

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Violet's skinny too - 95% for height, 25% for weight - the problem isn't really the fit of the diaper, it's that in one pee she can go from dry diaper to soaking the pad and through the legholes. If we use a double insert things are better but it's SO bulky. Are there magical super-absorbent inserts? If I get a bunch of hemp ones will it help any?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was doing AMP diapers and hemp inserts for my 2yr old and it worked great. No leaks, so I dunno...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

has anyone had to replace velcro on any of your diapers?
we were a little crazy when Dahlia was a baby and bought 30 BumGenius over a couple years (the 2.0s or maybe they are 3.0s) which are in almost-perfect condition EXCEPT some of the velcro fasteners are kinda shot. I'd even say we own too many diapers and that I'd consider just not using the ones that are shot if replacing the tabs is a big deal.

Other than the BumGenius, we also use prefolds but like most of you, 90% of Sierra's poops ruin the cover and we only have 5. In fact, the Flip covers that we bought when Sierra was tiny have been great because they are so size-adjustable but I'm finding the velcro tabs on these are getting unsticky after only 9 months. We don't use a dryer so that can't be the culprit - maybe I'm just expecting too much from velcro!

hahah also because we were insane early on, we bought 30 cheapie pocket diapers that are virtually useless this time around because Dahlia got so much use out of them - even though she's always been quite slim, the leg openings are totally stretched out because of the cheapness and so they will never be snug enough for Sierra. So we haven't found a use for the 30 covers but I will say that we've repurposed the 60 inserts - we turned each triple-ply insert into 3 squares and they are now family cloth (Dahlia and I use them after we pee, plus we randomly use them to wipe off stuff). I like the idea of it, but one thing that is just crazy is not having a dryer means H has to hang each tiny wipe individually on a drying rack. I can't believe he does it but its been a couple months now and he's very stubbornly sticking to it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm 
Semen Strong

We have some local moms who replace velcro at $3 a diap, which seems really reasonable. I just gave away my velcro BGs because L won't keep them on, and I couldn't be arsed to trade them. I just had 2 though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
has anyone had to replace velcro on any of your diapers?

I just started using snappis to keep them closed once the velcro on mine got shot (which happened a lot, since most of my dipes were second-hand).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Do I need to do anything to prep all in ones? I've read about prepping flats and pre-folds, but I just got some bum genius and thirsties with hemp inserts at my baby shower and wasn't sure what I need to do with them ahead of time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next