| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh interesting CC! You could try getting Boingo Baby fasteners, if you wanted to get a longer life out of them (http://www.boingobaby.com/). People like them a lot, and unlike Snappi's your baby won't out grow them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Do kids grow out of snappis? I know my kids are kind of on the small side, but we were able to really stretch ours.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I washed my AIOs in hot water (only using a small amt of detergent with the first wash), then 4 hot wash cycles with no detergent. If you have a hot rinse on your machine you could do that instead. I line dry my BG AIOs, because that's what the instructions say to do, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:10 pm 
Semen Strong

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Do kids grow out of snappis? I know my kids are kind of on the small side, but we were able to really stretch ours.

They have a regular and toddler size. The regular won't go around L's waist, but she is quite chubby. Maybe Beetie and Raygold are thinner? The toddler one is $5 so I'm still thinking about whether to get one or just get Boingos instead. I would imagine that over a largish BG, you'd have the problem of fit earlier.

And yes to preping inserts - I think the BG website says to wash and dry the inserts 3x before use. That said, I didn't prep mine before L got here, and just threw them in with the dirty prefolds, once we had some, bc they're too big for a NB anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

They have a regular and toddler size. The regular won't go around L's waist, but she is quite chubby. Maybe Beetie and Raygold are thinner? The toddler one is $5 so I'm still thinking about whether to get one or just get Boingos instead. I would imagine that over a largish BG, you'd have the problem of fit earlier.

weird! They're called Nappy Nippas here and I haven't heard anything about sizes.
Beetie and Raygold are definitely on the slender side, but Beety was using diapers until he was 3-1/2 and we could still use the same ones we always did, even though he was too big for most of the diapers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Yes.

http://www.boingobaby.com
So much better!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

stuckunderhere wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Yes.

Can somebody post a photo because I seriously have no idea how a kid could outgrow a snappi. I wonder if it's the diapers you guys use versus the ones we do or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I know they make two sizes, but we still use the small size. I guess if you have a really wide kid and a really small prefold?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

i think its all about folding options

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
I know they make two sizes, but we still use the small size. I guess if you have a really wide kid and a really small prefold?

We have toddler prefolds and the snappi won't close the ends around L's belly. We'd need the toddler snappi. And a bunch of our other CD friends with kids the same age as L have the same issue. We're trying to do a coop for toddler sized snappis.

CC this is what a Snappi should look like:

Ours are not long enough to grip both the ends of the prefold simultaneously. We have no issue with the one arm that hangs down, but I also don't really see its value, which is why I am leaning towards getting Boingos instead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe it's a prefold-thing, then! I never really liked prefolds (they leaked too much poo and never stayed in place and I tried a bajillion different folds), so I freecycled mine.
I love the third prong! I'd be lost without it! Otherwise, if my kids were just in a diaper and no wrap or if I had them in, say, the occasional flat diaper, the front piece would just slide right down and out!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When we used Snappis, they were placed more in a Y shape, with the middle part pulled down more. It really kept things in place.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay... so I've scoured this thread, my head is spinning, but I'm super excited and I think we're ready to try cloth. I saw a suggestion from (I think) Aubade for Jillian's Drawers trial, so we just signed up for that. It should hopefully come in time to trial over spring break, then out plan is to go full cloth this summer (hubby and I are both teachers, so we can try it ourselves before sending to the sitter). I think the trial will be perfect! I also picked up one Charlie Banana pocket diaper at Target today, so I'll play with that in the interim. I'm so excited!! And I think mrdub is even more excited than I am! Yay!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

yay!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

we did the jillians diaper trial and it was super helpful in figuring out what we liked. even now we have a bunch of different brands, some we love others that are just ok.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts/opinions on cloth training diapers?

It's become clear to me that we need to change up *something*. The FB just aren't working that well for us anymore. At the same time, over the last few days Vi has really started to be conscious of using her potty - she'll start trying to take her diaper off and I move her to the potty and she goes. My options are basically by new, more absorbent inserts for our pockets, get more FreeTimes (which still work pretty well, and/or get training pants. The latter seems like maybe a good option.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beet pretty much went straight from diapers to pants (but he was a late potty trainer and potty trained pretty much randomly and overnight on this one holiday we were on).
That said, we got some Bright Bots training pants for free and started using them on Raygold because one day, totally out of the blue, he took his diaper off and just refused to wear diapers ever again. He's pretty much potty trained now, but I have him wear them at night and when we go out, just in case (he wears regular pants during the day at home). He hasn't had a nighttime accident since September and he hasn't had a daytime accident since December, but I still use them for insurance purposes.

Anyway, they are easy to get on and off -- not so great for pasty poo but okay for 'rollers' (as Beet called them -- solid poos) -- Raygold can usually get them on himself these days (although he likes a little help), but he's always been able to get them off with no trouble. I would totally recommend training pants -- it sounds like Vi is showing signs of being ready to potty train and I think training pants are great for when your kid is showing signs of being ready to potty train, but not totally potty trained yet. (And they provide a little extra insurance later in potty training when you are out and about.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

we used Omaiki training pants when Sam was 2-2.5 for a few days. He was PTed within a weekend once he was ready.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This might be a really dumb question... but what is suede cloth? Is it actually suede or is it cloth made to resemble suede?

And we have Earth Mama Angel Baby butt balm. Is that really okay to use with cloth? Will has a rash on his cheeks and I don't know if the rash on his bottom is related, but I'd like to put something on it. (I walked in on my husband slathering him with vaseline, which he didn't know wasn't okay to use with cloth!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm 
Chip Strong

Coconut oil is fine to use with cloth diapers, and it works better than anything we've ever tried! We used Earth Mama Angel Baby for the first few months and Scarlett was often a little rashy. She rarely gets a rash since we've started using coconut oil and when she does it clears up quickly. Plus a jar lasts forever, so we're saving so much money!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, mooo. We usually use coconut oil anyway, so that's good to know!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Suede cloth is just a term for the soft, mildly fuzzy cloth that wicks moisture into the diaper. It's a synthetic!

The Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff is CD safe, but it doesn't work that well for Sven either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks! I think the rash was from too many clementines, but coconut still gives him a nice smell!

Next question... we are borrowing a few diapers from a friend right now as well as the Jillian's Drawers trial and we're deciding if we want to buy Velcro or snaps. Right now we're leaning toward Velcro, because it's so simple.... but I'm hoping seasoned parents can give me pros/cons for either one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:31 am 
And you never will.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with snaps. There are definitely pros and cons to each - I went with mostly velcro because it was easy, and because I had a really skinny baby and it was easier to get the right fit. Now though, 2 1/2+ years later, the velcro is not holding up well at all, and a lot of it just won't stick anymore or it's curled or it's literally just falling apart (and I exclusively line-dry all our covers and pockets). The snaps are all still in great shape, and if I had the money I would have had someone convert all the velcro to snaps a long time ago. Also, once he reached around 1 year, he was able to pull off the velcro nappies, but still can't get the snapped nappies off.

Obviously other people will have different experiences, this is just my opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am 
Chip Strong

I agree, velcro is easy to put on, but it's also easy for babies to take off! And it definitely doesn't hold up as well after being washed many times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 53  Next