| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:41 pm 
Semen Strong

definitely go with snaps. I gave away my velcro BGs bc they just stopped working well and L was taking them off before she was 1.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We've only used snaps and they've worked out great. His daycare teachers even find them easy and they're all used to disposables. We went with them because they seemed like the more durable option and after months and months of use they're holding up great!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good to know. It sounds like maybe we just need a little more practice with the snaps. I talked to two moms at my moms' group tonight and they said the same thing you all have. Thanks for the input!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I couldn't get a good seal around the thigh with snaps and liked velcro better, although this was just for wraps because our diapers closed with snappis. I've found if the velcro starts to go on diapers, a snappi will keep them in place (or did for us, at least).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

Need the opinion of mom's who are potty training. My faux-in-law bought a million cloth diapers when guineapiglet was little and the hoarded all of them. She just now decided that she wanted to give them to us. But now we have our eyes on cloth training pants and not diapers anymore so I'm going to exchange them for something we can actually use. The big question is. Which training pants are better the FLIP or GroVia?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I am looking at EcoPosh for Leela. She's pooping in the potty these days! Its making me so happy :)

http://www.diaperjunction.com/eco-posh- ... pants.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
I am looking at EcoPosh for Leela. She's pooping in the potty these days! Its making me so happy :)

http://www.diaperjunction.com/eco-posh- ... pants.html

These looks neat. Definitely putting those on the list to research more. We're far from starting yet. I've had a potty training book for 3 months and haven't had a chance to crack it yet. We'll probably start the idea of potty training in another 2 months or so. I want her to be strong in her ability to pull down her own pants and underpants before we start otherwise it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Omaiki training pants!

http://omaiki.com/zcart/index.php?main_ ... 8ed8afb394

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 pm 
Semen Strong

We have not had a poopy diaper in months. L poops when her diap is off - either in the potty or on the floor. It makes for a way easy clean-up. Though rollers are NBD either. Oh man, I hope I didn't just jinx our poopfree streak!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If I am using a Thirsties cover with prefolds, can I use the cover all day? I've just been wiping the inside and grabbing a new prefold. I'm actually a lot less intimidated by the prefolds than I originally expected!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You can keep using the cover. We do unless it gets wet on the leg gussets or smells like asparagus. And of course we don't use it if it gets poop all over it!

I think prefolds are the bomb.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I just got my Boing Boings in the mail, so I can go back to prefolds sans cover! Yay! Prefolds really are the bomb.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Our sitter is really resisting cloth more than I expected. I've tried to be really nonchalant about it, but it's really bothering me now. Her two concerns seem to be extra work for her (we would probably send pockets) and the diapers leaking all over her carpet. I suggested starting with the last diaper of the day, so she gets a little practice and at least Will comes home in cloth, but she's even hesitant to that. She's been really great with BLW (he's 14 months now, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore) and experimenting with vegan food, so I don't know if we're just throwing too much at her? I have to say I do love her and she takes great care of Will, but this whole diaper situation is really frustrating.

Anyway... she wants to do more research before she agrees, so I'm wondering if anyone has any great resources you can point me to. I'd really appreciate anything I can send her way!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:05 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Kdub- your sitter isn't being rational, so I don't see what "research" can do for her. Pocket dipes already stuffed are indistringuishable from disposables if you aren't the one doing the laundering.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Henry's been in cloth (all-in-ones) at daycare since July and a little boy in his class is in pre folds, and as far as I know there has never been an issue with either of their diapers as far as making a mess outside the diaper. As far as extra work, as long as all his diaps are stuffed and ready to go, I don't see how it's extra work for her? Henry's diapers just get put in his wetbag instead of the diaper pail and I clean out the poops when I get home. Sorry I don't have any actual research, just anecdotal evidence, but I hope you find something that changes her mind!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, bap, that's what I've told her. I found a few things I'm going to print and leave with her on Friday. I wish she'd just try it and she would see cloth is no more work for her than disposable!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

P.S. I only have 2 friends who use cloth, but they both stay at home. So I tell the sitter "my friends" use cloth at day care and I'm really talking about PPK moms!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Diapers leaking on the carpet? What?

If anything, I hear disposable moms complain about "up the back" blowouts ALL THE TIME, and I have NEVER had one with cloth. And that doesn't mean my kid doesn't poop a lot, the one time we were moving and used dispsoables for a week, we totally had blowouts! Sounds like LESS work to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

yep i did cloth at daycare with Sam for the 6months he was going from 12-18months. And frankly she ended up saying she preferred it over sposies... i had him in pockets and would bring in a daily zippered wetbag for her to dump it all in... I would deal with poops at home. Technically, did you know you are supposed to dump out the poop with disposables too (its even on the box!)?? But nobody does it (ewww!! landfills with diapers AND poop!)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

GinaKina wrote:
Diapers leaking on the carpet? What?

If anything, I hear disposable moms complain about "up the back" blowouts ALL THE TIME, and I have NEVER had one with cloth. And that doesn't mean my kid doesn't poop a lot, the one time we were moving and used dispsoables for a week, we totally had blowouts! Sounds like LESS work to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The babysitter sounds like she is being totally irrational, especially because she's the one getting paid to take care of the child, it's kinda her job to do what's in the best interest of the child and not argue with the parents over things like this. If she can take off and put on a disposable diaper she can do the same for a pre-fold.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for confirming that I'm not asking too much or being a bully! I had a breakdown the other day and started crying to my husband... about diapers! I felt totally silly, but he and I are on the same page. I printed out a handful of articles thar I'm going to take to the sitter today. Hopefully she will read them this weekend and realize it's not a big deal just to TRY cloth. I found a few things on Jillian's Drawers, the Real Diaper Association, a couple blog posts on cloth/day care, a study on fecal contamination with cloth vs disposable (there is no difference). I can link them if anyone else is interested...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is me & my husband's first attempt at cloth diapering a week or 2 before BabyPunk was born.

it didnt go well ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 pm 
Semen Strong

That is adorable! And unless you got an out the back blowout poop, it went swimmingly!

Can't wait to see Charlotte in her first cloth! I still wish we had a PPK babies in their blackbird covers thread!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Not sure if this is appropriate to post (I have zero financial interest in them) but Cloth Baby is apparently going out of business. Everything's 40% off until 5/30 if you use code I0JNV4UQXS . http://www.clothbaby.net

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:

Can't wait to see Charlotte in her first cloth! I still wish we had a PPK babies in their blackbird covers thread!

ask and ye shall receive!
this is her first time in a cloth diaper in this pic.

we've been alternating between preemie disposables and XS cloth because at first we didnt have any cloth diapers that fit her. now we finally have some but she goes through them fast.
they are such blowout hazards though cause her legs are so skinnny. they are so baggy on her!

my husband is so obsessed with blowouts and the idea of being pooped on and guess who had the first poop explosion down their side?!?!?! ME of course :-P

thanks for that link Annak. im going to ask my husband if he thinks we have enough xs for now! we had to order a bunch from amazon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 53  Next