| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We bought one during the transitional poop stage and resold it a few weeks later. We had the BumGenius one and it just sprayed all over outside the toilet (we have kind of a modern-shaped toilet, though, so maybe with an older-style or bigger bowl it would have worked). When we needed to rinse a diaper I just did it in the bathtub and that was fine for me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 am 
Inflexitarian

We've clothed diapered from day 2 and received the diaper sprayer as a gift from my mom (it was on our registry). We didn't install it until guineapiglet started eating solids and we hit the transitional poop phase. I personally love it and couldn't imagine cloth diapering without it. Guineapiglet rarely has "rollers" in terms of poop so with nearly ever poopy diaper we would have to manually scrape everything off if we didn't have the sprayer. I've had to do that a couple times when we've been away from home and maybe it's just because I've gotten used to the sprayer but it was a yucky pain, especially when she fills the diaper front to back with poo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had one until it broke a month ago... Now I just dunk and swish and wash my hands really well afterwards... But I kinda miss it... It was faster and got rid of more poopies. But it is totally not a neccessity.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:45 am 
Semen Strong

Yes, we have cloth diapered from Day 7 to 22 months (still BFing) and never used a sprayer. I think the combination of fast spraying water and semi-liquid poop sounds like a set-up for a messy accident, especially for someone who isn't exactly very coordinated. I know some people think its really useful, but for L's transitional poops (which didn't last very long), we just bought a few spatulas from the dollar store and used those to scrape and it worked very well. We didn't even need to do the toilet dunk and swirl, which I know some people find useful. For us, we just took off the bulk of the stool and that was fine. Once she started to have poop that rolled off, we didn't even need the scrapers any longer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That's kind of the same reviews I've read online, but I trust PPK moms more than random folks on the interwebs! I think we'll skip it I unless I find one super cheap second-hand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Whoa, Tofulish, I love the spatula idea! We will be trying that out stat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So I'm getting all my diaper stuff out for round two and I'm wondering what everyone likes for detergent these days?

We had a weird thing with our size two Thirsties Duo covers where the laminate stuff inside peeled/flaked off and it was leak city. I replaced them with Bummis (which I hated). Anyway, now I'm super paranoid about ruining my size one covers (which look fine and which I never had issues with). I can't for the life of me remember what detergent I was using when the problems cropped up - I only ever used Rockin' Green, Charlie's and Biokleen Free & Clear and laundered as directed. Maybe they were just defective? I don't know. I'm nervous!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

Rockin' Green has worked great for us and we still use it when I can find some on sale but our mainstay for the last year has been Nellie's, I use it for my regular laundry now too. Love it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Rockin Green is my favorite so far, but we use the one for hard water. I super hated Charlies and Biokleen. None of them have ruined the PUL on anything but the latter two definitely left residue or didn't clean well. I also have pretty good luck with soap nuts but they don't get things quite as nice and fluffy as the RG.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we use Charlies and have not had any issues.
are you putting the covers in the dryer? i know you're only supposed to use the low setting on the dryer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We use Ecos. It's a "local" product (made in Illinois), but I can find it at the grocery store, Walmart, etc and it's pretty cheap! I saw it on a cloth diaper website and it received the max star rating, so I imagine you could find it outside the Midwest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The Laundry Tarts :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What did you newborn stash look like? I've been picking up a few things here and there for the last month or so when I see a good deal. Here's what I have so far...
-25 or so prefolds in a variety of sizes from xs/newborn to small/infant (I think 17#) and inbetween
-1 newborn fitted
-2 newborn prowrap covers
-2 infant covers (up to 15# I think)
-1 snappi
-1 set of boingos
-2 newborn pocket diapers and a bunch of bamboo liners

Just about all of Will's diapers are one-size pockets and he has a few prefolds and covers, so we'll be fine after the newborn stage. Does it look like I have enough? Am I missing anything major?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Sounds like you've got enough to keep you covered for a bit if you find you need something else/different.
We had a whole bunch of stuff ready for BPs arrival and of course it was all way too big for her so we had to use disposables for a few days and we ordered a bunch of xs fuzzi buns.

I'm assuming you already have the wet bag and soap and all that jazz since it's sounds line you're still using the bigger ones.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That looks fine, I think! We had a dozen newborn PFs and two dozen small PFs, plus 3-4 covers and a few Snappis. Realistically I could have gotten by with one Snappi and only a few covers. Washing daily meant that the dozen newborn PFs were usually enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the input. (Yes, we have wet bags and detergent and all those goodies!) I just needed a second opinion, otherwise I may end up with a year's supply of newborn diapers by the time baby arrives. I'll probably buy a small package of newborn disposables just in case and be done... Until I see another really good sale!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I feel like I'm the only one with dumb questions over here lately, but here goes...

Will had been dealing with a rash for a while, so we did only prefolds for a week thinking he might be less sensitive to the cotton than the synthetics of a pocket. It cleared his bottom, but then he got a nasty rash in the front. I took him to the doc this morning and it's a bacterial rash. The doc said stick to disposables for a few days to keep it extra dry. I'm going to try a few new detergents and see if he's sensitive to the actual fabric of pockets or the detergent (even though we've been using the same diapers and detergent for quite a while now). I thought cotton prefolds would be the solution, but apparently not (though maybe the infection was a freak coincidence?). Ugh, so I feel like where do we go here?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Hey kdub, we just went through something very similar. Our little one had 2 raised bumps on her vulva that were really inflamed and looked painful and just would not go away. We were using mainly prefolds but also lots of BumGenius (so, microfiber) and despite changing her extra-frequently and using antibiotic cream, they just never got better. However, we just moved and have stopped using cloth diapers due to no washing machine and these abrasions are almost gone now, after only 3 days in disposables!
We feel terrible that it was possibly the cloth diapers causing the problem...we never used a dryer, just a washing machine and then line-dried the diapers, so maybe they just weren't getting sanitized enough or something? Anyway, maybe a while with disposables will clear up the infection and then you can go back to the cloth. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Kdub, I would suggest talking to a local cloth diaper group about how your water is. One of our friends is in an area with extremely hard water and she has had repeated problems with rashes.

What diaper cream are you using? We've had a lot of luck with coconut oil for L...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yep coconut oil here also.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We are big fans of coconut oil. I also have EMAB bottom balm and I just ordered some CJs something spritzer. A coworker recommended Triple Wash in bath water, but I can't find it anywhere.

I just got some new detergents to try and I'm going to wash everything in hot water (and probably drying what's safe is a good idea), but I guess the water could be a factor despite all of that. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 pm 
Semen Strong

If you don't have a local CD group, I can add you to ours on FB, if you message me your info. We have really great people, including people who sell this stuff, and they give great advice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If the disposables clear it up right away, I would assume the problem is too much moisture rather than any allergy to anything. I found that prefolds were the worst for staying wet at the surface and high quality microfibers were the best - we liked flips a lot, but be sure to change them every two hours. If you can't change peed-on diapers that frequently I would stick with disposables.

But in my experience prefolds were awful for diaper rash. The cotton surface just stays totally wet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just assumed the cotton would be gentler. Our pockets are Kawaii and BumGenius. The Kawaii are pretty cheap, but I think the BG should be pretty good quality?

Thanks for the offer, Tofulish. I found a local birthing center I'm hoping to check out this weekend and see if they can help me. Then I want to trouble-shoot with the detergent. If I cant't figure it out, I may take you up on the offer. (And when I thought about our water, I don't think it could be unusually hard since our water heater is 10+ years old.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

If you wanna stick with prefolds, I would add a wetness barrier, like a fleece liner. It helped when I had that issue with Samuel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next