| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was actually just thinking about fleece liners this morning. Thanks for the reminder!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Youre welcome!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

After 5 days on an antibiotic, Will's entire bottom is clear. I honestly can't remember the last time he didn't have a spot of anything, so I'm wondering if he had a bacterial infection all along. I guess we'll see what happens when we switch back to cloth.

My mom keeps telling me I should soak our diapers (at least the prefolds and inserts) in borax, but I'm not sure that's safe or necessary? She said that's what she always used to neutralize the ammonia and maybe that would help the coming and going of rashes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We use borax. I think it's safe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

does anyone use reusable wipes?

can you just make them yourself? or just use baby wash clothes? (i say baby wash clothes just because they are smaller than regular wash clothes and maybe softer)

do you just wet them?

i feel like these are dumb questions but im thinking of switching to reusable wipes for pee diapers. im not brave enough to use them for poo diapers yet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We use baby wash cloths with just water for poop and don't wipe at all for pee (but we use disposable diapers, so there's nothing to wipe really, it's all magically absorbed). We found that wiping a lot with cloth led to more rashes, which is why we stopped bothering with the pee wipes. With this system we pretty much have zero rashes. Explain to me how you are ok using cloth diapers for poop, but not cloth wipes :). We use disposable wipes while out, but if you using cloth diapers and have a wet bag and a place to get the wipes wet, you could use cloth wipes out, too. There are a lot of recipes online for wipe solution and you can keep the solution in a spray bottle, but I don't think it's really necessary when water does the job just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Even with cloth diaps, I don't wipe for pee and use cloth for poop. We don't even have many cloth wipes and like Ariann, just use water. Its really easy, and I feel more comfortable with water on L's skin than a bunch of scents or chemicals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I eventually switched to homemade wipes at home and just water. Kid has (had?) sensitive skin, so it helped to eliminate one more source of concern, namely the wetting liquid in commercial wipes, even the free and clear or sensitive skin versions. We rarely need more than one ~3"x3" square, now that poops are solid. I cut up an old cotton T-shirt, and it was truly amazing how many wipes a single shirt yields.

Nothing to lose by trying it, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
Explain to me how you are ok using cloth diapers for poop, but not cloth wipes :).

hehehehhe i have NO idea. it's totally silly but it's a mental block right now.
she doesnt eat solids yet (food is only for squishing not for eating) so her poops are still liquid.
i think i can work up to it though :-)

im gonna give it a go! i have like 1000 baby wash clothes here that were my best friend from when she was like 0-6 months old. between an oversupply of milk shooting out everywhere and regular amounts of baby spit up i had them littered all over my house.

that has all gotten better now so now i can have a new use for all my wash clothes.

no harm in trying. im all about cutting out costs and being green and letting my hippy freak flag fly.

i had never thought to not wipe after pee. but i guess that's the point of the diaper is to absorb the pee away from the skin.

we've been lucky and had no skin issues and no diaper rash.

now i just have to remember to dig out my wash cloth collection

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:48 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We use cloth wipes. It does involve more rinsing for poops than if we used disposable wipes. I think they wipe much better than the disposable ones though. We use surgical laps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We use cloth wipes, which are just old tshirts cut into squares. Then we stack them in an old wipe container. For a long time, we made them wet wipes (1/2 c water, 2 tbsp EMAB soap, 1 tbsp olive oil), but lately we've been using them dry with CJs spritz (or a homemade version of liquid coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil in a little spray bottle). The dry wipes have been keeping Will's butt clear of rashs... Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wipe Eli after SOME pee diapers because he stinks (like morning diaper and after nap). But most of the time, it's just for poops.
We use cloth wipes (I have 24 in circulation for bums, noses, wiping up stuff, etc) and use just a water/coconut oil mix.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am 
Saggy Butt

We use cloth wipes. We have probably 70-80 for 2 kids, a mix of Bum Genius (love these) and Charlie Banana (not as great). I used to make a special wipes solution that I sprayed on the wipe with spray bottle, but now we just use water in a spray bottle and I don't notice a difference. I wipe for pee and poop, but if there are large chunks of poops left behind on the butt I'll usually get most of it with a disposable wipe first. I've never had problems with them getting clean, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I get my wipes from Quilters Nappies: http://hyenacart.com/stores/QuiltersNappies

Best wipes ever!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh wait, she closed her shop :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:09 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

LisaPunk wrote:
she doesnt eat solids yet (food is only for squishing not for eating) so her poops are still liquid.
I forgot that when poops were liquid as well as now, we just used tp first to get as much off as possible before using the wipes. (Oddly happy to flush the waste, rather than having it in the trash or laundry!) So even with liquid poops we used max two wipes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we've been having poop blowout issues lately. wonder if anyone else has ever dealt with this.
BP is great at sitting up and lately, usually in the morning, when i have her sitting on the floor for playtime i will walk by and notice there is a giant poop soaking throughthe back of her onesie.

it seems like when she is sitting up the poop shoots up and does not stay in the diaper.
now granted these have been some pretty epic poops size wise but it seems like little stays in the diaper.

we have a bunch of prefolds, all still the smallest size, and we have some one size fits all fuzzi bunz that are still on the smallest setting i think.
we're thinking maybe even though they physically fit her they need to ride a bit higher on her and that's why the poop is escaping?

it's pretty awful because it ends up all over her back and sometimes her arms if she's flailing around and it just gets all over the place when im trying to clean her up.

ugh!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I bought a few cloth diaper wipes because I'm not skilled to make my own :( And I didn't have any extra cloth to cut up. I think I got some from swaddlebees that I really liked. I think they were bamboo.

My son has been sick the past two days and currently washing. I may need to use disposables for the rest of the day because I don't think I can have the ones in the washer dried before we use our last cloth.

I use Honest Company diapers if I have a babysitter or if I don't realize that I am at my last clean cloth before washing. They are a little bit more expensive but huggies and pampers and other commercial brands have a scent that tends to make me gag. I think it is because I associate the smell automatically with a dirty diaper. But honest company also has cute designs and I don't use them that often.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

LP, with prefolds we usually had blowout issues when the diapers were getting too small (or your covers need to be sized up/rise increased). That's for sure how I know when we need to size up with our OS diapers and with disposables. If the diaper ends right above the buttcrack sometimes the crack will provide a "poop channel" right out. (Ew.) If your current prefolds are big enough maybe try folding down the top in the back? It gets a little bulky but can help catch the poop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:33 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think they must be getting too small for her then.
the covers i can tell are on the small side as the XS ones i can only use over a premade cloth diaper (not sure what to call it, it's like an all in one but no cover, just the cloth part) and the others are a little small in the front and like a piece of the prefold sticks up around her tummy and causes pee blowouts if i forget to tuck it in.

ive been putting off getting bigger ones as we have plenty of prefolds in various sizes but no more covers so i have to buy some

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LisaPunk, I can send you four Thirsties covers in size one (up to 18 lbs), if you like. Though they're called "Thirsties," they're waterproofed fabric, not absorbent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow i will take you up on that! thank you!

ppk is awesome i got tons of prefolds and small covers from C&S and someone sent me preemie clothes after BP was born since she was mini

i <3 you guys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think this topic came up somewhat recently, but I can't find it...

Flooding. Is there an easy solution? It seems to happen to us only a couple times a week, but usually at the worst time when I have no extra clothes for Will. Right now, we've been using pretty much exclusively fleece/suede cloth pockets with micro inserts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you think your inserts have an absorbency issue,where you might need to strip your diapers? Otherwise could you double up inserts? I know others here have done double inserts and also had good luck with bamboo inserts for heavy wetters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So my sister sent me a bunch of sunbaby diapers. I know nothing about cloth diapering, but would be interested in doing it during my 3 month maternity leave at least. Anyone know a good website to start with? I was reading back through this thread, but I guess I don't even really know what type of diaper I have...I guess it is an all in one? or is this a pocket because you can slide out the insert? lots to learn...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next