| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Try Kelly's Closet! http://www.kellyscloset.com/Cloth-Diape ... _34-1.html

Honestly cloth diapering has been surprisingly easy for us. We use the pockets as well (removeable inserts, same as yours!), wash them in Rockin Green and make sure to use Earth Mama Angel Baby diapercream which is cloth diap safe. I have bac out and will also sun the diaps if we get staining, but we haven't had any staining issues since she was an infant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Do you think your inserts have an absorbency issue,where you might need to strip your diapers? Otherwise could you double up inserts? I know others here have done double inserts and also had good luck with bamboo inserts for heavy wetters

I don't think it's an absorbency issue, because we've noticed it's usually after he drinks a bunch. For example, tonight he drank a cup and then a bunch of water. A new diaper and an hour later, he was dripping. We do have a bunch of bamboo inserts, so I'll try those. I was also curious if prefolds would absorb any faster than the pockets? (We've taken a break from them lately because of rashes, but I think we're over that problem)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I've definitely heard that prefolds with a cover can be a good solution to flooding because you can get a better fit and there is more fabric...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annasrobbie wrote:
So my sister sent me a bunch of sunbaby diapers. I know nothing about cloth diapering, but would be interested in doing it during my 3 month maternity leave at least. Anyone know a good website to start with? I was reading back through this thread, but I guess I don't even really know what type of diaper I have...I guess it is an all in one? or is this a pocket because you can slide out the insert? lots to learn...

We started with a trial from http://www.jilliansdrawers.com (also good q&a section) and I knew nothing. Honestly, all you need is some cloth-friendly detergent and a pail. If you already have the diapers, you'll learn through trial-and-error. I read a few things, but hands-on was the easy enough for me and cloth is not as hard as you might think!

(eta: I looked up sun baby diapers and they are pockets, because you have to stuff them.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kdub wrote:
Honestly, all you need is some cloth-friendly detergent and a pail.

I don't even use a pail this time around -- I'm just throwing mine in with the regular wash!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for the website suggestions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I feel stupid but what is flooding? Is that like a pee blowout?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Flooding- from my understanding- is toddlers gaining bladder control and letting it all go at once. Then it's too much to absorb into the diaper and "floods" out instead of soaking in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:09 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

kdub: yes, prefolds were the answer to flooding for us. Our pocket diapers with microfiber insert did not absorb fast enough; special laundering to strip didn't change that. We've had no flooding with prefolds.

Last edited by Yesyes on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahhh gotcha.
something to look forward to.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, that is how I understand it. A poop blowout is most often a diaper that is too small and so an asscrack channel is created for a poopsplosion. So you can often fix poopsplosions by sizing up while flooding needs more absorbency.

Kdub, motherease has a nighttime dial that seems incredibly aborbent. L hates wearing diapers and became dry overnight quickly or I was going to buy one or two of them

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:21 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LisaPunk wrote:
ahhh gotcha.
something to look forward to.......
We had flooding at just a few months old...Which I just realized means I can't assume I solved a toddler-sized problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I won a giveaway Charlie Banana was sponsoring on Facebook.. Some detergent and wetbags, woohoo!!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What's your favorite newborn fold for prefolds? I've just been folding in thirds and pulling the back flaps around (not even sure what it's called). I have a snappi and boingos, if that makes a difference. Is there a better fold that I don't know about?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Both times I did it the way you describe, maybe folding some of the length down if necessary. I've seen people swear by the bikini twist but I could never get it to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Kdub, I did it about the same way as you. I would fold the prefold into almost a V shape before putting it on. I think it was called the angel wing fold? I liked it because if I did it right the poop would shoot right down into the 'pocket' that it made. I never figured out the bikini twist either.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did it that way, too. Never had any issues once we started only using thirsties covers.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, we haven't been having leaks, I just wondered if there was something more fun! I've tried the bikini fold too, but only once or twice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how do you guys deal with flooding which is what i think is happening to us.

we've had so many leaking issues and also just pee soaking through the diaper issues lately. i was wandering around a store carrying BP the other day and all of a sudden i felt a warmth spreading across my hip and i noticed my hand that was under her butt was all wet :-(

we get alot of leaks in the leg area too especially on the crotch area of onesies.

i think we have a couple issues.

#1 she's too damned skinny. her legs are chicken legs so diapers dont fit her right. she doesnt have fat baby legs
#2 im wondering if the covers we've been using have just surpassed their life span. i got a bunch from C&S so i assume they went through both her kids and now BP so maybe they are just not working anymore?
#3 i think it's time to size up. since BP has no asparagus to speak of and skinny legs we can still use small sized diapers and covers on her but i think maybe if we go to a bigger diaper and cover there will be more diaper to absorb all the pee????

i ordered 4 new size 2 covers which technically weight wise is a tiny bit big for her but the size 1s arent cutting it. so im hoping with those and the size 2 prefolds we have that will cut down on the flooding issues.

however we have a bunch of one size fuzzi bunz that are supposed to be good NB through potty training. you can adjust the size and i have issues with leakage around the legs with those. i dont know what to do about that. i think she's just too skinny.

is it bad to put the covers in the dryer whatsoever?

i usually put everything in the dryer on medium for one run through (if i do low nothing will EVER dry) then take out the reg covers and also the fuzzi bun covers and run everything else through again.

thankfully now that it's summer everything goes on the clothesline!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It sounds like you use prefolds which I don't have a lot of experience with, but I do have experience with destroying the PUL on my diapers by putting them through the dryer. I wouldn't do it! I ruined 24 BumGenius 4.0s that way and had to buy all new diapers. Now I hang dry everything with any sort of waterproofing. I know people who use AIOs dry them in the dryer but I would be scared after my experience!

You can kind of tell if the PUL is breaking down by stretching it -- if you see little micro-cracks in it you'll know the heat has broken it down.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, I bet the PUL is shot by now. My thirsties duos size 2s didn't even make it through one child, but I don't think I took good care of them. When I bought a second batch of covers, I started being more careful. One way to dry covers fast while heating them up minimally is to tumble dry just the prefolds first, and once they are dry, add the covers on low heat to dry. The absorbent diapers will help the covers dry much much faster (I think I usually only needed 10 minutes?)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

That said, it is probably better to always air dry covers, but I just didn't have time for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what does PUL stand for?

we use both prefolds and also pocket style fuzzi bunz. and we have a couple diapers that arent prefolds but you snap them on and then put a cover over them. not sure what those are called.

the reason ive been putting the covers in the dryer is because i usually wait to do laundry until we have 1-2 diapers left so i dont need to use any disposables but also arent doing laundry with a bunch of diapers left so i usually dont have time to let them hang dry.

ill check out the fuzzi bunz but i dont think ive seen any cracking in them. the issue with those is mainly around the legs. the crotch of her onesie seems to get wet from leaking around the leg holes. i honestly think she's just too scrawny.

hopefully with the new prefold covers i ordered part of our issues will be fixed. ill try to be more careful about the dryer with them. they are damned expensive!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Polyurethane laminate

It's just the inner plastic coating that makes the cover waterproof.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 am 
Nooch of Earl

Fuzzi bunz one size definitely did NOT last us through potty-training. V was tall and skinny and there is just not enough rise in them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next