| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We've been using prefolds and/or fitteds day and night for Press (3.5m). He just started sleeping 12+ hours at night and has woken up a few times with little red bumps that I think might just be from too much moisture over that stretch.... So we switched to a pocket over night and have been failing miserably! Will is belly sleeper and has always been fine with a microfiber insert, plus another folded in the front. Press still sleeps on his back and I don't know if it's too much pressure on the microfiber, but it feel like its impossible for him to be wetting more that a 2-year old?! Mrdub said, "Ask ppk, I'm sure they can figure it out." haha Last week we washed sheets 5 days in a row before finally sticking him in a disposable (size 4 leftover from Will!) and he woke up dry.
Here is what has not worked-- prefold tri-folded around a micro insert, prefold wrapped around a bamboo insert, prefold wrapped around a cotton/bamboo doubler, 2 micro inserts. (I have a hemp doubler I haven't tried yet.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:41 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this doesnt address the diaper issue but BP has never slept for 12 hours......ever....so i dont have any advice there. however we did buy one of these and sleep on that
http://www.amazon.com/Priva-Absorbent-Washes-Waterproof-Protector/dp/B000FOA7C2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407076673&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+pad

i lay it kind of in the middle of the bed and a little bit more towards me since she tends to barnacle to me.
that way if there is a pee blowout you can just wash that rather than stripping your whole bed.
we were having a pee blowout issue for awhile so that helped alot. our situation just ended up being i needed to size up on her diapers since she is older now

we use these hemp diapers with a cover for nighttime and they work well for us. we dont change her diaper at night anymore.
i doubt Press is 15 lbs yet though!
http://www.amazon.com/Kissaluvs-Organic-Cotton-Unbleached-15-40lbs/dp/B002UD6C0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407076814&sr=8-1&keywords=kissaluvs+hemp
the smaller sized ones arent hemp for some reason though we used those too (and still do since they still fit her, we just dont use them at night) however we used to change her diaper in the middle of the night because she would wake up and she's never slept for more than a few hours at a time. if he's sleeping 12 hours straight i can definitely understand not wanting to disturb that!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do the kissaluvs have a stay-dry liner? Otherwise I could try one of our fitted diapers with a fleece liner. And he's 15.5# :)
Last night was another fail- prefold wrapped around a bambo insert, a cotton/bamboo doubler AND a hemp doubler under his bum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:19 pm 
Semen Strong

How is the fit on the covers? With that kind of leaking, it probably isn't a lack of absorbency, but maybe an inadequate "seal" around the leg holes, esp with thin NB legs.

Have you tried multiple covers? I have a Bummis cover that looks like a shower hat with double gussets around the legs and waist and nothing gets through that, so I would double it over the Thirsties cover when we had leak issues. And yes, put prefolds down under baby to save the sheets and mattresses.

Its pretty yucky waking up in a pool of someone else's pee, my commiseration!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont know what a stay dry liner is. it has a liner made out of hte same material as the diaper (i think) and it would be wet against his skin i would think so that might not work.

he's gonna weigh more than BP soon! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The Bummis Pull-On, Tofulish? Thats my go-to for nights.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hadn't even thought of two covers, but that's a great idea. I think the diapers are leaking out the back, because his back is wet. I have a Thirsties cover and a different pull-on cover... More experimenting tonight! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck! I hope you find a solution! Pee can be so frustrating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We're making progress. He woke up this morning damp instead of in a puddle. I used two micro inserts in a pocket with a pull-on cover. Tonight I think I'll try the thirsties cover...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We have the same issue kdub. I talked with someone and he told me that microfiber inserts are sort of sponges and can leak out because of that. We use 2 hemp or bamboo inserts in a pocket with a cover over it and it still isn't bulletproof but it helped.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Reporting back with success! I have a few Best Bottom diapers (which are local-ish, but you can buy then from most diaper stores) that we use during the day. I bought the hemp/cotton overnight inserts to try, so last night's diaper was the Best Bottom shell with a hemp/cotton overnight insert and a stay dry (fleece topped microfiber) insert, with a hemp doubler tucked in between AND a pull-on cover just for insurance. I think we've found our winning combination!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:25 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone used thirsties all in one diapers?

i went to order 3 more thirsties covers from amazon and apparently wasnt paying attention because what i got was 3 all in ones. we had one all in one in XS previously and i actually didnt like it. i dont remember if it was a thirsties but it fit weird on her legs and would always leak.

we have leaking issues with our fuzzi bunz pocket diapers so i swear the only thing that is 100% leak proof for us is something we have to put a cover on. im thinking we might have the same issues with the all in ones and i should just return them and get the right things.

she has damned scrawny legs!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

i love our Thirsties AIO. Fits well on my boy!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So my son has a yeast infection and we're currently treating it. He is in disposies right now because his cloth diapers need to be washed. The cloth diaper sites/blogs I visit suggest oxygen bleach and one to two teaspoons on grape fruit seed extract. Has any one had any experience? If I need to, I'll use bleach. Also, I've been storing his diapers in his top dresser drawers and I was told to disinfect anything ths yeast could come in contacf with. Does this mean the drawers too? If so how should I go about doing this!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can anyone recommend a diaper pail for cloth diapers for me?
the one we are using now ended up being too small now that we are using bigger diapers.

this is the one we have
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Simple-Step-Diaper/dp/B00083HK0M/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

in one of the questions it says an 8 gallon liner fits it so i guess i would be looking for something bigger than 8 gallons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We just use a regular trash can with a Planet Wise bag -- it's an Umbra kitchen-size can with a swing-top lid from the Container Store, and we just removed the swinging part to make it easier to put the diapers in. I've never had a problem with odors washing every other day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you mean washing the diapers every other day right? (ie not the can itself? i think i hosed down ours once)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, yeah, definitely just washing the diapers. I've never once washed the can! (I do periodically wipe the edges of lid portion down with a sanitizing wipe, though.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool thanks. ill check out trash cans next time im in Target or Bed Bath and Beyond. for some reason something as simple as a regular trash can never occurred to me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Why are my flannel diapers disintegrating?

Here's the backstory: with Older Girl, I kept the dirty diapers in a pail of water after washing out the poop, and washed them roughly once a week. They lasted about 2.5 years in decent shape and then suddenly began to disintegrate. I cannot decide what changed. I was using the same soap, and even when doing the laundry at others' houses (long story) it didn't seem like any one person's washer was worse than another's... anyway.

So early this year I made a bunch of diapers for Younger Girl, and they've been slowly falling apart for a couple months now. I've tried rinsing all the diapers including the pee diapers before putting them in the pail. Makes no difference. I'm very frustrated, because nobody else seems to have this problem and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I make sure that I wash them every week, same as with Older Girl.

In case it matters, here's how I have always washed them: cold prewash/spin out, then hot water wash and two rinses.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I had to buy more diapers this month, which was a disappointment. tiny wu has been wearing her 4-9 kg pocket diapers for ages and just a few weeks ago they started leaking EVERY SINGLE TIME. Since she is now 10.5 kg this shouldn't be a big surprise, but I'd kind of hoped we'd make it to potty-training by now. We gave it a small test-drive right after her birthday in October and she was not on board (and yeah, that's for another thread but I think we're going to try again soon-ish). Anyway, she's so long and skinny that the 4-9 kg fit her for a long time, which was great, but then it kind of killed me to buy more, when I hope she won't even be in diapers for that much longer!

I did manage to get 6 pockets secondhand and in great condition from a Danish Facebook exchange group, but since > 95% of Danes send their babies to public daycare, cloth-diapering, at least for older babies and toddlers, is not as widespread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53