| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm 
Inflexitarian

my new plan of attack, treat the hospital like it's a fancy hotel and raid it of everything except the bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

GuineaPig wrote:
my new plan of attack, treat the hospital like it's a fancy hotel and raid it of everything except the bed.

Oh man, I wish I could have brought the bed home.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

really? my hospital bed was possibly the most uncomfortable thing i'd ever sat on. however, my hospital was completely shitty.

guys, i'm kind of bummed. tzippy starts daycare next week (just part time, full time by august) and they don't use cloth, so we're going to be in disposables just about every day now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 am 
Inflexitarian

Awww littlebird I'm sorry to hear about the daycare. We were afraid we were going to be in the same situation we had given up even asking daycares and schools if they took cloth diapers then the last school we tried, which we loved loved loved before, said that they not only allow cloth diapers but they make vegan food! Hopefully your daycare will ease up and let you at least use some pocket diapers every once in awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
really? my hospital bed was possibly the most uncomfortable thing i'd ever sat on. however, my hospital was completely shitty.

guys, i'm kind of bummed. tzippy starts daycare next week (just part time, full time by august) and they don't use cloth, so we're going to be in disposables just about every day now.

The one at the birth center where I had the Emperor was great. Huge, comfy, totally adjustable. But that kinda describes the whole birth center. We're lucky to live in a very very pro-natural birth area and this place has a reputation as being one of the best in the state.

Huge bummer about the daycare. A lot of places around here, you can't start your kid til he's potty trainee regardless of age. That really limits where I can send the Emperor... There's almost nowhere that takes them as young as he is AND not potty trained. If I find one that meets both of those and will do cloth diapers and isn't sketchy, that would be amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My hospital bed was a torture device! So uncomfortable. My tailbone hurt for days after I got home, and if I noticed that on top of all the general just-gave-birth loveliness you know it was really sore!

What do you guys do for swim diapers? I want to start Inez in swim lessons soon and I realized I have no idea about appropriate butt coverage.

Also: traveling. Do you do cloth when you travel? I guess it all depends on length of trip/access to laundry. We have a couple trips coming up and I need to figure out what I'm going to do. I may need a bigger wet bag...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

Pinko you read my mind I was just about to ask about swim diapers, I've seen some out there and obviously won't be buying for awhile but next summer the little one will be big enough to participate in water days at the school so I want to file that information away for later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

I use iPlay diapers for swimming and I could buy them at Whole Foods.

I traveled several times while I was cloth diapering. I didn't find it to be a hassle, but it is more bulk to travel with. Also, being sure you are able to wash is key. However - I did hand wash diapers in Mexico a few times!! (I feel like that makes me special, or something! :) )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

Michimz handwashing diapers makes you my hero!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Our pool has a "three layer" policy for babies-- you are supposed to use a disposable swim diaper + a reusable swim diaper under a swim suit. I don't want to use a disposable swim diaper, so I use an iplay swim diaper with a bummis super whisper pant over it under my daughter's suit. She's pooed in the pool before without leaking, so it seems to work for us!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

GuineaPig wrote:
Michimz handwashing diapers makes you my hero!

Seriously!

I use cloth diapers for car trips, but not plane trips. I have never hand washed a cloth diaper though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Walter has a Charlie Banana swim diaper--you can see it in the picture I posted today in the photos thread. It has not been poo tested, but so far, so good.

If we are just going on a day trip, I use cloth and I bring a large wet bag. We still have not gone anywhere overnight, but I think longer than 48 hours and I would use disposable. I wouldn't wash diapers in someone else's machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

When we visit my inlaws in Oregon, we just use our cloth and wash in their machine. They used cloth with their kids and aren't freaked out by it.

But I wouldn't feel comfortable washing in the machine of anyone else I can think of. For overnights, we still do cloth... But that's about the limit. When we flew cross country, we used disposables and I was glad we made that choice. Not because of the flight, which I think we would have managed, but to just not have to pack as much, find somewhere to wash them, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, we've done lots of day trips with cloth but we're staying at a hotel at the beach for three nights and we're also planning to go visit family in Wisconsin next month. I think I could get by with cloth for the beach trip, but I might just do disposables for the other trip. I don't think I'd have anywhere to wash them.

Thanks for the swim diaper tips! All these pool baby pictures are making me want to take her swimming so bad!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Just fyi, BabyCenter has a board for cloth diaper swapping.
http://community.babycenter.com/groups/ ... iaper_swap

I'm still trying to figure out how many to buy (thinking about starting off on disposable for NB and then transitioning to cloth) but am open to buying used, unless there is a reason not to....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:27 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Tofulish wrote:
Just fyi, BabyCenter has a board for cloth diaper swapping.
http://community.babycenter.com/groups/ ... iaper_swap

I'm still trying to figure out how many to buy (thinking about starting off on disposable for NB and then transitioning to cloth) but am open to buying used, unless there is a reason not to....

I would totally buy used pre-folds (totally!) and I did buy some used kissiluvs (which worked well for us), but I wouldn't buy used BumGenius (just from my own experience, because they start to stink. I don't know if I'd trust others to have un-stunk theirs).

I haven't decided yet if we're going to pick-up a pack of NB throw-aways or not. I suppose if we are going to, we should do it soon. Maybe my procrastination means it's not going to happen. In that case I'll just use the flannel wipes to line the diapers and toss the flannel out if it gets horribly stained by meconium.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

If you're going the prefold and covers route, used cotton prefolds would be just as good as new, but the elastic in the covers can wear out after hundreds of washes in hot hot water. 24 diapers and 7-9 new covers ought to do it, and if Tofetus has a super poopy day and you run out of diapers before you can do laundry*, you can have a pack of disposables on hand just in case. Also, covers with snaps last longer than covers with velcro.

There may be a store near you that does newborn cloth diaper rental, and that way you'd get to try a bunch of different styles. The store I'm working at does a mix of prefolds/pockets/all-in-ones for $200 for 3 months, and if the baby outgrows NB sizes in less than 3 months, you get to trade them in for small.

*If you wash diapers every other day

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Used prefolds, definitely. Those things are basically indestructible. Used covers I'm a little more iffy about... like mitten said, the elastic can wear out, the velcro can pull off, etc.

I love covers with snaps now and have since the Emperor was maybe 6 months old. Before that, his poos were so runny and he seemed to change size so frequently that we just couldn't get a good fit with snaps-- either the covers were too loose or too tight on the available snap settings. Velcro's nice in that you get a more customizable fit, but it's true that it doesn't last as long (it'll pull off, and the hooks and eyes will just wear out... especially if you're not careful about folding the tabs over before you put the covers in the wash) and once your kid figures out how to take her diaper off, velcro covers can cause drama.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've been using both velcro and snap covers and definitely prefer the snaps over the velcro. One problem with velcro, at least for the diapers I'm using, is even if I attach them to the tab for washing they always come off and get attached to each other and the actual cloth diaper in the washer and it's a pain in the asparagus to pull them all apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i've been using the same bum genius diapers for 3 years now. my biggest problem hasn't been the velcro, but the waterproofing. the wet seeps through faster than it used to (i think that they'd have lasted longer if i air dried the covers). when i wash them i attach the velcro tabs to one another instead of the little place holders, and they never come unstuck in the wash (creating the dreaded diaper chain). they also have smelled pretty decent since i started using the bum genius diaper detergent.

i've also got some bum genius flip covers with snaps. i use them with cotton prefolds. i do sometimes find it hard to get just the right fit w/ snaps vs velcro.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a few of the flip covers with snaps and like them a lot. I might be ordering a few more today since I don't have enough diapers and covers yet and am tired of washing them every day and using disposables in between. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hmm isybb, that's interesting about the waterproofing on the BumGenius...ours have gotten heavy usage for 2+ years now and we are starting to notice that Dahlia wets through them in under an hour sometimes! and that's with us using one of the snapdown liners plus a hemp insert, and BumGenius were always our favorite diaper in terms of ease and absorbance. We were thinking that Dahlia is just peeing much more 'cause she's bigger, but now I wonder if the diapers are just losing absorbency! we (or I should say Howard, 'cause I can't even reach the clothesline) do hang them out as often as possible though but I guess that material must wear after a while.

also, you guys inspired me to try prefolds after avoiding them for the first year, and I think they rock, but we've not experimented enough with covers to find a good fit. We just don't want to buy any more diaper supplies since Dahlia should be out of them soonish. All we've used are Thirsties, and they simply don't stay on her well enough for daytime use, but they are super for stuffing 2 deluxe prefolds into for bedtime! For the next [theoretical] kid I am definitely going to explore different types of covers and especially ones with snaps for better fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

We like thirsties duos (different fit than regular thirsties), but it does depend on the shape of your kid. Walter has a very, um, tall pelvis. For all his chub, his hips are actually pretty narrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

yep Dahlia has narrow hips and no chub and the Thirsties duos worked ok, better than the reg Thirsties, but even so, she develops serious plumber's crack and then they start slidin' down...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have discovered that in the summertime, one must wash dipes every day. At least I need to. I have AIO's and Pockets and was having a barnyard stink smell. Thankfully, I remedied the stench by washing every day and using solely Rockin' Green detergent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 53  Next