| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Our covers and wet bags (basically everything synthetic) were stinking, but I started doing a cold prewash with vinegar and no detergent, and that has solved the problem. No more stink, and vinegar is cheap!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:02 am 
Inflexitarian

mel wrote:
I have discovered that in the summertime, one must wash dipes every day. At least I need to. I have AIO's and Pockets and was having a barnyard stink smell. Thankfully, I remedied the stench by washing every day and using solely Rockin' Green detergent.

Quick question on the Rockin' Green detergent, that's the one we plan on using but do you know if it really makes a difference if you use the one for soft or hard water? I think our water is just "regular" but to be honest I have no clue and don't feel like paying to get it tested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I find that the regular works very well - we have soft water, and just use a bit less of it. You can check out their map here, really helpful!: http://rockingreensoap.com/?page_id=625

I just won a year's supply of cloth diaper detergent from a local company! http://www.rubymoonlaundry.com/ I am so effing excited to the point of ridiculousness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

mittenmacher wrote:
Our covers and wet bags (basically everything synthetic) were stinking, but I started doing a cold prewash with vinegar and no detergent, and that has solved the problem. No more stink, and vinegar is cheap!

Ah, Thanks for this! My pocket diapers have started to get slightly musty, and I was wondering if vinegar would help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm 

I noticed somewhere on here that some of you folks use the Kawaii all-one diapers. I was thinking of adding some of these to our stash, and wanted some general feedback on how good they are. Do they compare pretty well to other more expensive pockets like Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius? The Kawaii dipes are WAY cheaper, so I'm wondering if they hold up alright.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

flavabean wrote:
I find that the regular works very well - we have soft water, and just use a bit less of it. You can check out their map here, really helpful!: http://rockingreensoap.com/?page_id=625

I just won a year's supply of cloth diaper detergent from a local company! http://www.rubymoonlaundry.com/ I am so effing excited to the point of ridiculousness.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
I noticed somewhere on here that some of you folks use the Kawaii all-one diapers. I was thinking of adding some of these to our stash, and wanted some general feedback on how good they are. Do they compare pretty well to other more expensive pockets like Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius? The Kawaii dipes are WAY cheaper, so I'm wondering if they hold up alright.

I've been using the Kawaii AIO diapers for a few weeks now with Miles and am happy with them. I used BumGenius with Reno. I like the inserts for the BG's better then the Kawaii's just because the Kawaii's 2 inserts per diaper are the same thickness and for the BG's the 1st insert it snaps over to make them thicker in the front (or back) and then has a doubler that is thinner. I also feel like the BG's are better made although I don't have any of Reno's left to compare with the Kawaii's I have now. With all that said I would still by the Kawaii's over the BG's. To me the differences are slight and I like that the Kawaii's are about 1/2 the price of the BG's.

If you want to buy some BG's I'm pretty sure they are running their buy 4 get 1 free sale now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am 

JENNA wrote:
I've been using the Kawaii AIO diapers for a few weeks now with Miles and am happy with them. I used BumGenius with Reno. I like the inserts for the BG's better then the Kawaii's just because the Kawaii's 2 inserts per diaper are the same thickness and for the BG's the 1st insert it snaps over to make them thicker in the front (or back) and then has a doubler that is thinner. I also feel like the BG's are better made although I don't have any of Reno's left to compare with the Kawaii's I have now. With all that said I would still by the Kawaii's over the BG's. To me the differences are slight and I like that the Kawaii's are about 1/2 the price of the BG's.

If you want to buy some BG's I'm pretty sure they are running their buy 4 get 1 free sale now.

Thanks for the Kawaii info. We currently use Fuzzi Bunz and we like them a lot, but we only have ten right now and I'm tired of doing laundry twice a day. The Kawaii seem like a good addition to our supply.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

GuineaPig wrote:
mel wrote:
I have discovered that in the summertime, one must wash dipes every day. At least I need to. I have AIO's and Pockets and was having a barnyard stink smell. Thankfully, I remedied the stench by washing every day and using solely Rockin' Green detergent.

Quick question on the Rockin' Green detergent, that's the one we plan on using but do you know if it really makes a difference if you use the one for soft or hard water? I think our water is just "regular" but to be honest I have no clue and don't feel like paying to get it tested.

Our water was supposedly not hard, but I have had better results since I switched to the hard formula.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ok so I just recieved my jillians drawers changing diapers changing minds order and I was wondering what else I should try out or get before the baby is born. I also have a couple of other things that people have given me and I got used.
I have:
12 prefolds (3 different brands/sizes but all small)
5 fitted diapers (4 kissaluvs and one mothers ease)
one contour diaper
3 pocket diapers (thirsties, bumgenius, rolypoly a local company)
one bumgenius all in one
5 covers (2 thirsties, one bumgenius, one prorap classic, one mothers ease but probably too big for a newborn)

I also recieved a pack of disposables for back up and I have one snappi and some rockin green detergent. What else should I get? I was thinking I probably want to try a fuzzibunz. My partner says he probably won't be too into doing the prefolds because he "doesn't want to be doing oragami when trying to change the diaper" but seems pretty much on board with everything else and likes the idea of the contour one. Am I going to have enough to start out or do I need more? I also don't have a dryer so that is a factor. We are hoping to get a good idea of how long each diaper takes to dry when we prewash them.

Also how many diapers will I be going through a day in the first few weeks probably? I don't know if this question was already answered.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:22 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So that's 22 diapers with no dryer... Hmm. I think you might end up needing a few more. I had 24 prefolds plus 2 or 3 fittted diapers, and that was plenty for me, but I did use my dryer in that stage (I try to line dry now, but I have an older baby who doesn't go through diapers that fast).

With no dryer, I would consider buying a few flat diapers. Athough, I doubt your partner would be on board if he thinks prefolds are too difficult. I have some birdseye flats from green mountain that I use when I run out of prefolds, and I really love having them. They make a great burp cloth or lightweight blanket and they dry very quickly on the line.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I haven't tried cding yet, but I just went to a class on it and It was really great to learn from an experienced mom. The teacher recommended 24-36 prefolds (or all in ones) and 4-6 covers for a newborn for two days. She said line drying would take forever except for flat diapers, so maybe you would need more?

Also, I think the origami is for flat diapers. Your husband shouldn't be too frightened by prefolds, I wouldn't think. It seems that prefolds and covers would be easier to line dry than all in ones, but again, I haven't started cding yet so maybe what i think is not even helpful!

I'm excited to start gathering my collecting, too, so let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

Butternut wrote:
I haven't tried cding yet, but I just went to a class on it and It was really great to learn from an experienced mom. The teacher recommended 24-36 prefolds (or all in ones) and 4-6 covers for a newborn for two days. She said line drying would take forever except for flat diapers, so maybe you would need more?

Also, I think the origami is for flat diapers. Your husband shouldn't be too frightened by prefolds, I wouldn't think. It seems that prefolds and covers would be easier to line dry than all in ones, but again, I haven't started cding yet so maybe what i think is not even helpful!

I'm excited to start gathering my collecting, too, so let us know how it goes.

This is what I was told in the class I went to as well so I just went ahead and got 36 newborn prefolds and I think 6 or 7 covers and then some pocket diapers for when she outgrows the newborns. I always feel like I have way too many but I guess it's better to have too many diapers to start off with than not enough.

I planned to line dry to save on energy cost and I figured that would be feasible with 36 diapers on hand (10-12 per day plus a couple extras just in case) but I guess we will see for sure in November!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So maybe a dozen or so more prefolds, a couple more covers and a couple more pockets?
I think I want to try out the super brights for covers and fuzibunz for pockets and the prefolds can probably be anything right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:08 pm 
And you never will.

Oh my gosh you guys, check these out! They're only available for pre-order right now, but it looks like they'll be ready to ship next month? I want some.

http://www.boingobaby.com/#!about

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

I just got my first pairs of bum genius one size pocket diapers in and I have one concern, the extra snaps that aren't being used appear to be facing the inside which would rub directly on the baby's skin. I'd imagine this would be very uncomfortable but they come so highly rated and no one else seems to be having an issue. Am I looking at them wrong or has anyone else had an issue with irritation?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:40 pm 
And you never will.

Are you talking about the snaps to adjust size ('height') or do they have a snap closure as well?

The size-adjust snaps should all be on the outside of the diapers. You snap the top row into the bottom row (sort of folding the front of the diaper forward on itself) to make them the smallest size, or snap the top row into the middle row for medium, or leave unsnapped for large.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

guineapig, won't the inside cover/stuffing thing cover those? i don't have any bg's (i use mostly prefolds, but i have some multisized covers and that is how it works with them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

poopiebitch wrote:
Are you talking about the snaps to adjust size ('height') or do they have a snap closure as well?

The size-adjust snaps should all be on the outside of the diapers. You snap the top row into the bottom row (sort of folding the front of the diaper forward on itself) to make them the smallest size, or snap the top row into the middle row for medium, or leave unsnapped for large.

The height is easy they all disappear when i snap it to the smallest setting but as side snaps to adjust the size only seem to fold in. I've dissected this diaper ever way possible even opened up the other one to see how the manufacturer snapped it and looks like no matter what those side snaps fold in and are exposed to the baby's skin. Argh, this is becoming a frustrating process fast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:10 pm 
And you never will.

Oh I see! Rather than folding in, the sides should sort of wrap around the baby's waist, so that the unused snaps are layered under the 'wings' that wrap around from the back (does that make sense? I think I don't write very coherently when I'm tired!).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 pm 
And you never will.

Skip to 1:10 to see what I mean:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

Diaper panic attack over! That completely answers my question. I definitely shouldn't start inspecting my cloth diapers at midnight when after I've been clearing out cabinets all day. Thanks pb!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:26 pm 
And you never will.

It's all good! I had multiple diaper panics before poopiebaby was born - I think my sister (from whom I inherited some prefolds) got sick of my phone calls by the time I actually birthed the baby!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

poopiebitch wrote:
Oh my gosh you guys, check these out! They're only available for pre-order right now, but it looks like they'll be ready to ship next month? I want some.

http://www.boingobaby.com/#!about

available in glow in the dark!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Anyone have experience with cloth diapering and day care? Did you have to buy extra to keep at the daycare?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 53  Next