| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

kimba wrote:
Anyone have experience with cloth diapering and day care? Did you have to buy extra to keep at the daycare?

I'm imagining that every daycare or school is different but at the school we're going to they request that you bring your own dry pail that stays at the facility and wet bag for the dry pail and you take your wet bag with you every day and bring a fresh one back. we're planning on washing every other day so we just bought 2 extra wet bags for school that we'll rotate. I was so happy to find a school that let us cloth diaper they could've told me they wanted me to stand on my head every time she poops and I would've done it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

When the Emperor went to a day care where cloth was ok before we moved, we did like GP's describing-- sent him with a clean bag for dirties and enough diapers for the day plus some extras just in case. We brought the dirties home at the end of day.

He's starting a new daycare in about a week after being with babysitters for the summer. This place won't do cloth and I'm bummed about that. I'm wondering if maybe we should just start doing potty learning at home... I think he's ready to start anyhow but getting him out of disposables quickly is a good motivation for me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:37 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

*bump*

I've skimmed the thread, but it's pretty long... Any suggestions on specific brands that you like? Bambino Mio seems to be a big favorite here in the UK. Most of the companies have "trial kits" with like 3-4 diapers in them, but if there are some that y'all have just found to be horrible, then I can skip those.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't know what is available in the UK, but I think it's helpful, no matter where you are, to try a few different styles and brands once the baby is here, just to see what you like and what fits your baby's body. We use cotton prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers and thirsties duo covers, which I found worked the best for us after trying 5-6 brands of covers during the newborn phase.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Today is the official start of cloth diapering only. Grey was prett y small so we wanted to wait until we wouldn't have lots of leaks before we truly started. We have been trying out cloths and today we start! We decided on the bum genius elemental all in one. I needed to make cloth diapering as easy as possible if I want Nate to stick with it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So our nighttime set-up, which had been working beautifully, has started leaking like a sieve. I don't know if it's a change in baby size/shape, an increase in pee volume or what, but it's not cool. We've been doing prefold plus fleece/hemp doubler plus Thirsties cover. I'm thinking maybe we need a more fitted cover but I've never used anything but these Thirsties Duo covers and diaper sites totally overwhelm me. What do you use for overnights?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We really like Bummis for overnight. (We're Thirsties in the daytime generally.) They're a very similar design but for whatever reason, we have had NO overnight leakage problems with them. I find them kinda stiff for daytime wear, they don't move with him wonderfully, but great for bedtime... We use an oversized prefold (I think maybe they're labelled as "toddler", they're like twice the size of a normal prefold) doubled over in front inside of one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

yeah I am interested in trying different covers for [theoretical] baby #2 because as I've posted before, I've never been able to get a great fit in the Thirsties, even the Duos, because they are always too loose in the waist and end up falling down. And unfortunately I got all velcro ones, because at least if I'd gotten snap covers Dahlia could maybe wear a smaller size without the velcro fastener busting open every time she moves. At night we are using a regular Thirsties but in a size large because we stuff 3 of those premium prefolds in there...its absolutely hilarious to see her try and romp around after I put her night diaper on 'cause she can barely move, but hey sometimes she sleeps those 10hour stretches and needs alllllll that cotton haha.

also this is a not-great photo but gives a sense of how insanely wonderful Dahlia's papa is at hanging out her diapers (from a 2nd floor window! I can't even reach that far out the window)...the line is full allllll the way to the back of the yard, this was before we used prefolds so sooooo many microfiber inserts for pocket diapers:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

We have several different setups, and we just alternate based on what's clean. We only have thirsties duo covers, but I might have to buy some thirsties fitted covers in M or L because the duos are getting too short, especially in front. Apparently my kid has a tall pelvis. Inside the cover we do a prefold with a hemp doubler, sometimes with a bamboo fit-to-fold insert underneath, or we use a thirsties fab fitted (microfiber) stuffed with a pocket diaper insert. But the thirsties fitted, though it says it goes up to 40 pounds, is getting too short, so we are on the lookout for other solutions.

Audrey, I love that photo. How many diapers is that?! When I first saw it, I thought it was an ad. Also, you have a very nice yard for NYC!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We like the same covers as C&S-- Thirsties duo for the day and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap at night. I very rarely get leaks with the Bummis cover, but we do sometimes get leaks with the Thirsties when used overnight. (I also use the Bummis Whisper Pant during the day, but I would NOT recommend them at night at all-- they leak the most since they aren't fitted at all, but they are the easiest to put on a squirmy baby, so use them for daytime use only.)

Also, how soaked are her diapers in the morning? Are things totally soaking wet? If they are totally soaked, maybe try a different liner? I think I remember you saying that you used GMD prefolds, Pinko, so if you still have the newborn orange edge diapers, I've had good luck using them as a doubler overnight.

Last edited by helbury on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yeah, if you are having leaks because she is soaking through everything inside the cover, add more hemp or some bamboo for absorbency. Bamboo is crazy absorbent. Or you could start changing her halfway through the night (Walter usually makes it until about 4 or 5am before his diaper starts bothering him, so if I wake up to pee in the night I change him and he usually doesn't wake up).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I can't wait to start buying cloth diapers!!! >.<

... sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I work at a cloth diaper store! It's too bad you don't all live in Maine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Rabidchild, I know what you mean. There was a period where I went kinda nuts with diaper buying, but I'm glad I did, we certainly use them! We're going on a trip soon and are planning to just use disposables then. It'll be more convenient that way and car space is at a premium, but I am already bummed at having to leave my cloth diapers behind!!

We've been pretty lucky in that so far, while my favorite brand/type seems to change day to day, there hasn't been anything we've tried that just hasn't worked out for us. Lately I've been liking the Flips with stay-dry inserts a lot. They combine a lot of the good aspects of microfiber pockets - lots of absorbency, quick drying, one size system that's worked from about 8lb - with those of prefolds or fitteds - less laundry time without the pocket-stuffing step, less total stuff to wash--although with pooping directly on the insert they stain more easily than the pockets (apparently sunlight gets the stains out though).

ETA: one thing we've bought more of since the baby was born is wet bags. We thought we could get by with a couple smaller diaper bag sized wet bags and one cloth diaper pail liner. HA. Since then we have bought an extra diaper pail liner ( http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Diape ... 052&sr=8-1 ) for the upstairs pail and two large wetbags ( http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Hangi ... 074&sr=1-1 ). Basically you want to take everything you'll need and get an extra for when it's in the wash, even if that seems like a short time. On a related note, anything with a removable cover? Just go ahead and get that extra cover. (Thus we now ave two changing table pad covers, two my brest friend covers, two playard sheets, two cradle sheets, two playard changer pads..and we use them.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Buying more diapers is like the one pregnancy thing I am excited about. I gave away almost all of our smallest diaper covers because the Emperor outgrew them so quickly (he outgrew the XS thirsties and the size 1 Duo wraps at the same time, which made me so mad-- the Duos are supposed to go way higher than that but both stopped fitting when he hit 13 lbs (at 4 weeks old) and I'm convinced they are exactly the same size). So I need something else for newborn age.

We actually live somewhere with a washer AND a dryer now, so I'm considering trying something other than prefolds just because...

And oh jeez, +a million to wet bags. We actually still only have one. My secret shame is that I often just use a quart sized sandwich bag (which I then re-use and re-use and re-use for diaper purposes) to hold dirties when we're out because I can never remember to move the damn wet bag from one place to another.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mittenmacher wrote:

Audrey, I love that photo. How many diapers is that?! When I first saw it, I thought it was an ad. Also, you have a very nice yard for NYC!

It's something like 12 pocket diaper covers and what looks like a million inserts (we used 2 per diaper), we only wash every 3rd day so you can bet there were/still are tons of diapers being hung all over the house! and yep it is a nice yard - there is an entire huge wall of vines covering it all the way at the back of the yard, plus our neighbor works for the Brooklyn Botanical Garden so there's soooo many amazing plants and a beautiful layout too. Problem is, it ain't our yard - can only be accessed thru downstairs neighbor's apt and while I love them and we're old old friends, we don't get down there very often. Poor Howard and Dahlia look out the window all day at it while our neighbor guy sits inside chainsmoking and doing computer stuff instead of enjoying what he has. Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Audrey wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:

It's something like 12 pocket diaper covers and what looks like a million inserts (we used 2 per diaper), we only wash every 3rd day so you can bet there were/still are tons of diapers being hung all over the house! and yep it is a nice yard - there is an entire huge wall of vines covering it all the way at the back of the yard, plus our neighbor works for the Brooklyn Botanical Garden so there's soooo many amazing plants and a beautiful layout too. Problem is, it ain't our yard - can only be accessed thru downstairs neighbor's apt and while I love them and we're old old friends, we don't get down there very often. Poor Howard and Dahlia look out the window all day at it while our neighbor guy sits inside chainsmoking and doing computer stuff instead of enjoying what he has. Oh well.

This picture is so cute! It makes me miss my old apartment in brooklyn...we had the same set up with the clothesline out the kitchen window over the backyard. So nice!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That picture is cool, Audrey!

So Fuzzibunz is having a buy 6 get 2 sale. I am not sure if I should buy any. I don't even know if I am having a girl or a boy. It sounds like a good deal though: http://www.fuzzibunzretailers.com/PromotionForm.php

When do you start buying diapers? I feel like it is too early for me (15 weeks)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

coldandsleepy wrote:
And oh jeez, +a million to wet bags. We actually still only have one. My secret shame is that I often just use a quart sized sandwich bag (which I then re-use and re-use and re-use for diaper purposes) to hold dirties when we're out because I can never remember to move the damn wet bag from one place to another.

I'm guilty of this. I have one wet bag for the diaper bag, and half the time I forget it in the dryer (or forget to wash it in the first place) and I end up using a big ziplock. Must get more wet bags!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just bought 2 goodmamas, 1 rumparoo OS pocket, and 3 happy heiny OS pockets at a garage sale for $40. :D The woman cloth diapered twins and had a million diapers, but I only had $40. She's going to email me after the garage sale and let me know what she has left and what she wants for 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 pm 
Semen Strong

If you know how to sew, you can make your own....

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a2 ... ed_to_know

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
If you know how to sew, you can make your own....

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a2 ... ed_to_know

Yep and yep! That's the plan. My friend's mom is bringing her serger out from Seattle this winter when she visits, and we're gonna make a bunch!

A woman I work with at my coop today told me she has 45 OS fuzzibuns that I can have. Not buy or borrow - have. She said they were mostly gifts and she just wants to get rid of them. :o

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:28 pm 
Semen Strong

That is amazing! Nice work!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
That is amazing! Nice work!

I know!! I feel like I'll believe it when I see it, but if she comes through, that is such a huge expense lifted!! We had really planned on Brett having a better paying job before we did this, then when that didn't look like it was going to happen, we were just like "meh, let's try anyway!" I'm planning on staying home so anywhere we can save money is great! She says she's got a bunch of other stuff I can have she needs to get rid of. I will not say no to hand me downs!! If I can't use them I'm sure I can find someone else who can.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

W didn't have the diapers on tint enough and Nate was pooped on twice today. One while we were hiking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 53  Next