| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I havent tried them but those minky ones I looked up when they were up there before and I saw they had good reviews. I don't need any diaps but I thought those that do might be interested in a cheaper way to try different ones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:
tank wrote:
theres a bunch of diapers at good prices on babyhalfoff.com today.

Have you tried the brands mentioned and did you have good results? They are adorable and supercute!

We use the DreamEze at night with a cover and have never had a leak! I got 2 at a consignment sale for a few dollars each and really love them.

I'm ordering 2 of the EcoBumz... so far I've preferred prefolds and fitteds, but I think I'll like these when baby gets a little bigger (and I'm a sucker for organic stuff on sale!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
A firend of mine is coming over so we can figure out why her daughters diaps are leaking (Size 1 thirsties over prefolds (she does newspaper style) ...

Also, if anyone has any ideas - she says the leg holes are too big, which seems unlikely with a 3 month old who is at least 12lbs (8lbs at birth)- let me know :)

Hmmm... so when the Emperor was in the 12 lb range, he was too big to have the size 1 Thirsties snapped in the smallest setting but really a little to small for them in the next largest setting. Is that where she's snapping them? Because if so, I can definitely believe that the leg holes are a little too big... which doesn't seem to be a problem unless part of the prefold is poking out. But even a little tiny bit of prefold poking out = leaks right away.

I like a good mystery! Let us know what you uncover!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

A friend of mine wants to cloth diaper, but has no time for researching the options before the baby is born. I'm lending her my newborn sized prefolds, and as a present, I'm going to buy her some covers. I was thinking about getting her a bunch of Thirsties duo size ones with velcro. Most people are happy with those, right? Am I making a huge mistake by not getting a mix of snapped and velcroed ones? I figured that snaps don't always hold runny EBF poo in well enough....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

helbury wrote:
A friend of mine wants to cloth diaper, but has no time for researching the options before the baby is born. I'm lending her my newborn sized prefolds, and as a present, I'm going to buy her some covers. I was thinking about getting her a bunch of Thirsties duo size ones with velcro. Most people are happy with those, right? Am I making a huge mistake by not getting a mix of snapped and velcroed ones? I figured that snaps don't always hold runny EBF poo in well enough....

I really liked the Thirsties and they held up better than the Bummis ones I got (Super Whisper wrap I think they were called) - the seams started coming out a bit and they just didn't seem to be as well-made. What a nice friend you are!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I liked velcro better when he was little so I could get the right fit. Now that he's in the size 2s I like snaps better because he wiggles so much and I can get a more secure close on them. I think just velcro would be fine to start out with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
tank wrote:
theres a bunch of diapers at good prices on babyhalfoff.com today.

Have you tried the brands mentioned and did you have good results? They are adorable and supercute!

I have an Ecobumz and a Dream-eze - I got a "small diaper" grab bag before V was born and it had those and a small FB for $20.

The Dream-eze is fine if you like fitteds. It's not as cute as some of the etsy ones I had for V's newborn stage, but it has a lot of adjustment points and is absorbent. It's a thick material.

The Ecobumz was...alright. the PUL is shiny side out, which is a bit weird, and the inside part and insert are cotton or something.. They take a LONG time to dry and don't stay very dry on the surface, which is the same thing I don't care for about the Kawaiis. We definitely prefer the drier-staying microfibers around here now that she's past the being changed every hour or so phase.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 am 
Semen Strong

The velcro is great as tank says for getting a perfect fit, but after 4 months its just not holding that well any longer (exacerbated by the fact that L is pretty chunky). Maybe its just a sign that she needs to be moving to the size 2s.

I'd get a mix of velcro and snaps, for added versatility.

My friend's baby (who didn't fit in the size 1s) has the thinnest legs imaginable. Literally on the very smallest settings smallest rise there is gaping between her leg and the gusset. We McGyvered it by using the snaps that you use to adjust the rise to snap the waist part to and moved her to an angel wing fold and she seems to be leakfree for now. My friend is also going to try the jellyroll fold, which sounds so cute. Her baby is 2wks younger than L, 95% in height and 50% in weight, so a long skinny girl :) but totally adorable and healthy. Its funny she makes L look like a sumo wrestler.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am 
Married to the wolfman

Per my experience, I agree that Thirsties hold up better than Bummis. I love Bummis as overnight covers though.

And I'm another person who loved Velcro for little babies, snaps from crawling on up.

We have a mix of ProRaps and Thirsties for the Magician and I'm surprised by how much I like the ProRaps now that he fits in them. (They seem to run huge. The 9-14 lb size didn't fit til he hit 12 lbs.). For half the price of Thirsties, they're a steal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We have only used snaps, but if we did velcro at this point with Lu at 12 months old, he would have his diaper pulled off in about two seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
We have only used snaps, but if we did velcro at this point with Lu at 12 months old, he would have his diaper pulled off in about two seconds.

Ha! Yeah, I only use snaps now that Lydia is squirmy and good at taking things off. And yeah, as tofulish points out, velcro wears out way too quickly. But, I hated snaps when she was a newborn because we had poo leaks whenever we used them. Lydia is skinny though, and has always been skinny, so snaps might have worked better with a chunkier baby.

Ok, I think I'll get mostly velcro, but throw in a snapped cover or two just for variety.

Thanks for weighing in! (have I mentioned how much I love this CD thread? <3!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

BumGenius starting at $11.89 for Diapers.com 70% sale....
http://www.diapers.com/p/bumgenius-one- ... ernut-6091

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've never used the 3.0s... I'm tempted to order some, but for those who have used both 3.0s and 4.0s do you find there's a big difference? I like snaps more, too, so that's a concern...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela has outgrown her Thirsties Size 1s and the small prefolds are like bikinis on her. She is still a bit too short for the next size of infant prefolds, but GMD has a "wide baby" prefold. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm I find this adorable.

I guess I could buy the regular prefolds and fold down? Or would you just buy a stash of wides? Or use the pocket diaps until she fits in the medium prefold?

I can't quite bring myself to sell those cute diaps and covers, but I guess I should start listing them on BabyCenter!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think Leela and wolverine are probably the same size now. He is pretty much out of his size 1 and we now use the size 2 most of the time with covers.

I didn't want to bother with the wide baby ones and just got the red edge. We fold them down and it really doesn't add that much bulk. We actually had some shorter wider infant prefolds and he grew out of those way before the regular ones. They fit him good at first then were just a weird fit so I didn't want to do that for the next size up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Her prefolds are really way too small. I've been in denial about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

haha I bought 24 red edge from GMD and love them and have enough and all that but I am STILL in denial that the infant prefolds don't fit and continue to try and put them on him. I can barely get the thing on him without the snappi touching his skin on one side. He is actually wearing one right now and it took me 3x as long to get it on him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish, I'd buy the next size up and fold down!

The Emperor was so fat as a baby that we couldn't use Snappis with him... there was just no way to get a diaper that wasn't totally ridiculous lengthwise to close on him widthwise. Suuuuch a chunky baby.

The Magician is at an awkward phase right now where he's a little too tall for the size 1s snapped all the way down and the XS covers, but not fat enough for the size 1s on the second snap or the size S covers. Every time I put him in the bigger covers, the leg holes are so big on him that he ends up leaking. It's really funny, I have never had a baby who was "too small" for anything before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am getting frustrated with our one size fuzzibunz. They are tight in the back and loose in the front. They end up pinching him in the back. Also, it seems the legs are never right and he is getting a lot of leaks. I am considering going with another system in the meantime and trying the fuzzibunz again when he is bigger. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 am 
Nooch of Earl

Our favorites have been BumGenius Freetimes ever since they came out in December. I love not having to stuff anything. For overnights we use a double flip insert right now.

ETA: We just switched from the smaller to the larger Fuzzibunz inserts (ours came with two) and that has made a world of difference for leaks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We've been using Fuzzibunz since Lu was 4 months old, but now I've noticed the leg holes are looser fitting than they used to be. I guess my boy is turning into a string bean? Because of that, we get more leaks with the FB. So I'm grabbing the Sunbaby diapers in my stash most often now. They are more snug in the legs, and are generally more trim.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I like prefolds and covers so much. I have a couple of hundred dollars of BGs that I barely use bc it feels like so much more laundry.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:52 am 
Chip Strong

How much time and energy do you put into washing diapers, and how easy is it for you to do laundry in general? We are planning on using a diaper service because the laundry in our apartment building is disgusting, expensive, and occupied at least half the time I want to use it, and I'm only using it once a week now. I am also a full-time graduate student and will be back in school when our baby is around 2 months old, and my partner will be the primary caretaker. He has no experience with babies and I feel like it will be overwhelming enough for him without having to do laundry constantly. Since I will have limited time to spend with the baby, I would rather spend it just sitting and nursing rather than running up and down two flights of stairs doing laundry. People keep making comments to us about what a waste of money the diaper service is, and that we should just wash them ourselves. I estimated that the service will be about $20 more per month, which seems worth it to us. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:56 am 
Semen Strong

We do a load every 2 to 3 days, but its in our house and so easy. Plus my husband does them :) If the service is cheap enough, i'd say start with that while your partner and baby find their routine (first 3 months for us) and then re-evaluate, if you're interested.

$20 a month seems so cheap! It was a lot more here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 am 
Married to the wolfman

Moooo, if I had to choose between crappy gross shared laundry or a diaper service, I'd for sure do the service. It's not hard to do it if your washer and dryer are at hand, but having to work around other people's laundry schedules and dealing with the politics of that (someone's bound to take your diapers out when they aren't dry, or tie up the dryer for eight hours straight, or be like ewwwww diapers) is a stressor I would not want to have to deal with!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 53  Next