| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Plus you don't want to wash your diapers in a machine that has residue from other people's scented detergents. I'd do the service, $20 is cheap!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh yes, detergent is another great point, thank you!

I wish it was only $20/month! I meant that's how much MORE I estimate it will cost us compared to how much we would be paying for coin-op laundry.

I appreciate the support. People keep making these comments suggesting that we're being lazy money wasters, but I think we have good reasons for going this route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Even if the diaper service saves you no money vs. disposables, it would be worth it. Cloth is so much cuter and smells better and leaks less.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

In that situation, I'd totally use a diaper service as well. I don't find washing cloth diapers that hard, but I live in a single story house with my own washer/dryer, and I have a huge stash so I never run out.

I do a cold wash followed by a hot wash, and the diapers still look and smell pretty gross after that first cold wash. In a shared laundry situation, if someone opened the washer between those two cycles, it would look BAD. Pre-baby, I'd probably have complained to the management myself if I saw that in a shared washing machine!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I live in an apartment with shared machines, too. I toyed with the idea of washing myself, but I think it was Jenna who reminded me that worrying about quarters all the time would be awful. On top of all the other obsticles mentioned already, the hunt for quarters swayed me to going with the service. Its heavenly. And like mitten said, they smell better and I really prefer the cloth to paper (sometimes we use paper when going out all day). The service is well worth the extra money for us.

I do wash my own wipes. My service offers wipes, but I had already bought them when they started that. I have enough wipes so I can do it whenever I need to do regular laundry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just want to add that you might want to check eg yelp reviews for the service you're considering. I looked into it briefly here but it sounds like the quality of the diapers the local service uses is just awful. And, of course, you're limited to prefolds, which we really don't like.

We're still hemming and hawing about what to do for the couple months we're living out of a hotel. Le sigh. Need to decide by Monday!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't mind one bit doing diaper laundry but in you situation mooo, I'd without a doubt get a service. shared machines are hard anyhow.

annak, thats a dilemma.... not sure what I'd do. I hate disposables. I would probably try and do those cloth diapers ith the disposable inserts. still wasteful I guess but I hate how disposables leak for us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 am 
Nooch of Earl

We actually have a couple packages of disposable flip inserts so we'll take those. I'm thinking we'll take our cloth stash, since we're planning on doing a baggage shipment anyway. (for the non-military out there, that is a small, short-term, non-furniture moving shipment where we're authorized up to like 800 lb.. so extra stuff we don't have to jam in the car!) It can't hurt to take them with, I suppose!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:54 am 
Nooch of Earl

Additionally:

We're moving. As such I'm trying to get rid of some stuff that we don't use. I've been putting things in the marketplace but I think this might be better here (and I'm not out to make money anyway, just clear space).

Anyone want two lightly used Kawaii one-size diapers? We don't really like the Kawaiis but I know some people here do. One is light green with white stars, the other is a dark pink minky material. First person to PM me can have them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Three posts in a row! I should get some sort of "having the most boring Sunday" award. But the diapers are claimed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you know which hotel you're staying at? Lots of extended stay places give you access to laundry facilities, and when we drove to Ga, I noticed that La Quinta has guest laundry facilities on every floor, so you could do a load if needed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It's a Marriott Residence Inn. I found a review online that said there's a small laundry room but one person complained the housekeepers use the w/d to wash cleaning rags most of the day. Apparently, though, there's a laundromat across the street so that will probably be what we do. We'll give it a try, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

When you prep your new diapers, do you wash with detergent each time? Or do you just wash in hot water, dry & repeat until they become absorbent?? I bought a new AMP diaper and have washed it 5 times now and water is still beading off...

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:31 pm 
Semen Strong

What type of diaper is the AMP?

I prewash the inserts and the prefolds with my other diaps (so with detergent), not the covers, but I've never had water bead off the absorbent parts even unprepped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 am 

It's a pocket diaper. Both the insert & cover are just repelling the water...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 am 

i did a diaper service when we first had our son. we actually asked for gifts of diaper service and got enough for a year! we only used 6 months before we had to move and we used the rest of the money to buy supplies to take with us. The service was great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 pm 

So it turns out my diaps had a bit of build up...now that it's all sorted out Im still confused as to how many times this damn AMP diap needs to be washed before its good to go and if I'm to use detergent each time. On one hand I think, yes, that's going to remove all the oils do its absorbent but then I think, no, that's going to make it repel more by constantly washing it with detergent...This was much easier the first time I prepped and I don't remember what I did :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 pm 
Semen Strong

I notice that Leela doesn't wake to feed as much as she wakes when her diap is wet. We use BGs at night with a flip insert, so it is dry on her skin. I wonder about putting her into a sposie at night and whether that would have her sleep through the night. I have a few friends that use cloth in the day and sposies at night...

Anyone done that?

Momo, I use detergent every time when prepping. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:22 pm 

Momo wrote:
So it turns out my diaps had a bit of build up...now that it's all sorted out Im still confused as to how many times this damn AMP diap needs to be washed before its good to go and if I'm to use detergent each time. On one hand I think, yes, that's going to remove all the oils do its absorbent but then I think, no, that's going to make it repel more by constantly washing it with detergent...This was much easier the first time I prepped and I don't remember what I did :(

It probably varies from diaper to diaper a lot. My unbleached cotton prefolds took a good number of washes (5? 6?) before they quilted up and became absorbent. Generally, I think you are supposed to use detergent to wash off any crud that prevents the diapers from being absorbent. But, if after 5 washes with detergent, they are still beading water, that seems odd to me. Surely everything must be washed off by then? Hmm. I guess I'm not much help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 am 

I am starting over. I wash washing with nature clean which apparently is no good for diapers. I buckled and bought tide because the nellies is only in a special store and more expensive. So we'll see how many washes it takes now. So far I've done 2 and still beading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 am 
Nooch of Earl

For prepping: I used detergent the first time (a small amount) and then did 4 more hot washes in a row with NO detergent. I think there are discussions of this 15 or 20 pages back in the thread somewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Can you soak them in your tub with some detergent overnight? And then in the morning do your regular wash routine. I've done that before with some good results! (I use Rockin' Green's Funk Rock for soaks, which works well for us.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 am 
Chip Strong

annak wrote:
For prepping: I used detergent the first time (a small amount) and then did 4 more hot washes in a row with NO detergent. I think there are discussions of this 15 or 20 pages back in the thread somewhere?

I do the same thing. But maybe even a couple of more washes than four without detergent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thank you guys for feeding my newfound diaper obsession!

Right now I'm trying to figure out whether we're going to wash all our diapers at home from the get-go or use a diaper service. With Westley, we were gifted diaper service until he turned two, which was wonderful. We washed our own after that. Actually, since Westley still wears diapers at night, we're still doing it, but it's easy-peasy.

Now, the economical part of my brain thinks we really ought to do diapers at home from the beginning. Even without factoring in the supplies we already own, if we wash everything ourselves, we could diaper from birth to potty-training for the cost of 6 months' diaper service! But in those early months, when I was so tired (and depressed), not having to worry about ALSO washing diapers was like a hug from the Universe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I notice that Leela doesn't wake to feed as much as she wakes when her diap is wet. We use BGs at night with a flip insert, so it is dry on her skin. I wonder about putting her into a sposie at night and whether that would have her sleep through the night. I have a few friends that use cloth in the day and sposies at night...

Anyone done that?

I've probably told you this in person but Miles wears a sposie at night. He will sleep for at least 10 hours straight and I feel it's better for him and his skin with a sposie on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 53  Next