| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish, we also did/do cloth during the day and disposables at night. Lucy slept longer, and as she got older, I couldn't find a nighttime solution that was absorbent enough without being ridiculously huge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

Has anyone tried flip diapers? Guineapiglet is a pee machine so we need a back up stash for school and cottonbabies has some on aseconds sale. The only thing is they don't come with inserts. I have about a ozen extra bum genius insets and was hoping I could use them in the flip. Any thoughts?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:16 pm 
Semen Strong

The Flip inserts are the best part! They keep so dry, I really am impressed. A BG insert doesn't have that wicking side to keep her skin dry, so it would be a bit like using a regular prefold - not bad, but not as nice as keeping her skin nice and dry.

They are pretty cheap too. $4.95 per stay dry insert. I got 10 and they stand up really well. I got the covers used to save a little money.
http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?m ... ers_id=146

Also, Annak is certain to weigh in here, I know she swears by Flips.

And thanks sofrito! We had one good night where she slept through, but last night she woke me every 2 or so hours for a nappy change.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This is awesome to hear, we just bought Flip inserts to use at night! Still trying to figure out what the best option will be when he starts school in September...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm such a cloth diaper geek. I got so SO excited about the weather being nice enough to hang my diapers outside. Yay for the first line-dried diapers of the year!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

GuineaPig wrote:
Has anyone tried flip diapers? Guineapiglet is a pee machine so we need a back up stash for school and cottonbabies has some on aseconds sale. The only thing is they don't come with inserts. I have about a ozen extra bum genius insets and was hoping I could use them in the flip. Any thoughts?

I LOVE our Flip diapers. The covers are my favorite of all that I have (Flip, Thirsties, Econobum) and the inserts keep Miles really dry.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

JENNA wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

I LOVE our Flip diapers. The covers are my favorite of all that I have (Flip, Thirsties, Econobum) and the inserts keep Miles really dry.

Lovely! Since they're on sale I'll grab a couple and buy a few inserts to go with them. How many inserts to covers do you recommend?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:59 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

just something funny.

We were leaving for a trip out in the town today and all we had were prefolds clean so I asked my partner to get elliot dressed and to put a disposable on him. He was dressing him for like 10 minutes then called out to me "do disposables need a cover?" It was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My husband puts covers on disposables too! We don't use them very often and he forgets that you don't need a cover.

Last edited by Butternut on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

GuineaPig wrote:
JENNA wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

Lovely! Since they're on sale I'll grab a couple and buy a few inserts to go with them. How many inserts to covers do you recommend?

I think I have 6-8 inserts for 2 covers. They are really easy to just wipe off and reuse.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

(sorry for the failure to chime in promptly, this move...OH, this move. We needed to have the world's biggest garage sale a month ago. Too. Much. crepe.)

I do love the Flips, although now that Vi has gotten into the flip over and crawl away stage of diaper changing, it's tricky to manage all the pieces at once. I think my favorite favorites are the BumGenius Freetimes at the moment, but it changes day to day, and a double stay dry flip insert in the flip cover has been our go to overnight solution for a while. To be honest right now we're in disposables for the 3rd day in a row, thanks to the perfect storm of moving, public laundry, 4x/day horrorpoops that involve trying to wipe baby asparagus while it crawls away from me at rapid pace, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 pm 
Inflexitarian

annak wrote:
(sorry for the failure to chime in promptly, this move...OH, this move. We needed to have the world's biggest garage sale a month ago. Too. Much. crepe.)

I do love the Flips, although now that Vi has gotten into the flip over and crawl away stage of diaper changing, it's tricky to manage all the pieces at once. I think my favorite favorites are the BumGenius Freetimes at the moment, but it changes day to day, and a double stay dry flip insert in the flip cover has been our go to overnight solution for a while. To be honest right now we're in disposables for the 3rd day in a row, thanks to the perfect storm of moving, public laundry, 4x/day horrorpoops that involve trying to wipe baby asparagus while it crawls away from me at rapid pace, etc.

Yowzers! What a week!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am 
Saggy Butt

I've managed to sell my husband on using a diaper service, which is the only way I could get him to agree to cloth diapers. It provides cotton prefolds and apparently we'll need to get covers. They sell Bummis covers, but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for favourite covers?

Also, did y'all use cloth from the get go? I've been told by some that they used disposables for the first couple weeks/until the meconium was gone.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 am 
Married to the wolfman

I used cloth from the beginning with both babies. We never had an issue with meconium staining and I didn't find the additional laundry to be a burden.

But I know just as many people who started in disposables, and I think that's fine too.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 am 
Inflexitarian

For us, the bummis covers seemed to run really small. Guineapiglet was 7 lbs 5 oz when she was born and was only able to wear them her first month. On the other hand thirsties covers seemed to run really big. She couldn't start wearing them until she was about 5 weeks old (close to 11 pounds). At almost 16 pounds she's just moved up to the small thirsties covers.

As far as disposables go we used them in the hospital and the first day we were home so 2 days total. Guineapiglet has always been a mighty pooper so the meconium was completely gone by day 2.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We used disposables (or 2 disposables since he wouldn't pee or poop while were were in the hospital) when we were in the hospital because they gave us a pack. We brought the rest of those home and had 2 small packs that people gave us waiting at home and I couldn't even get through those before wanting to use cloth. So we pretty much used cloth from the get go.

Our favorite covers by far are thirsties and we have used quite a few brands. the x-smalls lasted longer than expected then we used the size 1 duo wraps and are now into size 2. I love them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The NICU gave us SO many packs of diapers when we finally got home (they get a ton of donations of stuff like that), we didn't get to really do cloth until he was about 2 months old. I think we know a lot more now, and will be able to do it from the get-go next time around. We didn't have the right size prefolds at the beginning, so we had a lot of leaks, so of course we thought that that's how it would always be. But once he fit in them better, they were great!
I just can't get over the smell of disposible diapers. I don't know if it's part of my PTSD, but one smell of those dipes brings me right back to the NICU days. They smell so horrible!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:30 pm 
Semen Strong

We did cloth from the moment we came home from the hospital. I don't think its feasible while you're still admitted. We had no issue with meconium, and love our Thirsties. I bought too many (12) and L outgrew them at 4m. We have 3 size 2s and that is perfect.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My favorites are Thirsties covers too. We liked the Duos because Sven grew out of the XS so fast, but the Duos still fit at 16 lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

tank wrote:
Our favorite covers by far are thirsties and we have used quite a few brands. the x-smalls lasted longer than expected then we used the size 1 duo wraps and are now into size 2. I love them.

In terms of durability and just overall niceness, Thirsties are also by far my favorite. And I agree about the XS-- the Magician is between 14 and 15 lbs now, and I can still touch the tabs when he wears them, though they're getting a little short in the rise. (It's okay, baby crack is cute, right?)

The size 1 duo wraps snapped all the way down are about the same size, so we used those from the start this time. They were far enough below his cord stump that it wasn't an issue.

I've used Bummis and they're fine. I've actually really liked them as overnight covers for the Emperor when he was older. They don't seem to move as well, hence not really loving them as daytime covers once he got mobile. They are not, in my experience, quite as durable as the Thirsties and I just don't think they're quite as cute. (I know, like that matters!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

terri_to wrote:
I've managed to sell my husband on using a diaper service, which is the only way I could get him to agree to cloth diapers. It provides cotton prefolds and apparently we'll need to get covers. They sell Bummis covers, but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for favourite covers?

Also, did y'all use cloth from the get go? I've been told by some that they used disposables for the first couple weeks/until the meconium was gone.

One of the nice things about using a service is you don't have to worry about washing meconium...that's their problem! And you don't have to worry about buying newborn sized prefolds and only using them for two weeks...also their problem! At least with my service anyway. They started us off with premie and newborn prefolds and it worked great. After she was born and we knew what fit, they sent us only that size. I would just suggest that you request as many extra as they will give you as you are getting the hang of it. We needed 90 prefolds a week in the beginning. We only have used thirsties and we like them a lot. I agree with you coldandsleepy, they are much cuter than some of the others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

Cuteness completely and totally matters!

Baby butt crack with the thirsties extra small was super cute until last week when my little pooper managed to get poop on her entire back (and all over me). That night we ordered size smalls!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 am 
Saggy Butt

Quote:
I just don't think they're quite as cute. (I know, like that matters!)

I kind of care too! Heh.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. How many of the smaller size, and next size up, covers would you suggest having on hand?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 am 
Married to the wolfman

With the Emperor, we started with 3 XS covers and quickly realized we needed more like 6 minimum. He pooped SO frequently though. Still, I think 6 is a good number-- that way there's no rush to wash them usually.

I have like a dozen covers that fit the Magician fits in, and I will admit that might be overkill!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anyone interested in some newborn/infant diapers? I have around 8 used kissaluv size 0s; 2 white prorap covers, size nb; a dozen preemie Indian prefolds; a dozen infant prefolds; 2 bummis super whisper wraps, size S; 2 bummis super brite wrap size S; 6 ATD (older version) fitteds, size S; 3 xs bumgenius all in ones; 3 econobum covers and 12 inserts. All are "girl" or neutral colors and are in good to excellent condition. Please pm me if anyone's interested or wants more info. I'm just looking to unload for free to a good home as Charlie is too big for many, or we just don't use them, and we are definitely done having kids!

Reply to topic  [ 1263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 51  Next