| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bottles: glass or plastic?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:51 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere dedicated to this, but I wasn't able to find it. I'm interested in opinions and experience re: newborn bottles. I plan to breastfeed but will be going back to work and my partner will be staying home, so I figure I need some bottles. What worked well? What should I avoid? Plastic or glass?

Post subject: Re: Bottles: glass or plastic?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We only used plastic. Considering how many times they've been dropped, that was the right decision! If you're going to use any formula at all, get wide ones so it's easier to get the powder in without spilling everywhere. They also get really clean in the dishwasher, with tall and narrow bottles it's more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:07 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

We used what we were given, which were plastic (and sort of squat and wide, not long and tall, now that you mention it amonik). Of course, neither kid would drink from a bottle, but that is a different story!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:10 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I haven't used them yet but I have 2 glass Dr Brown's. I was told it's good to only buy a few until you see if your baby only likes a certain kind.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:28 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm curious to what you guys end up using. We were recommended Playtex Vent Aire (The standard narrow ones, which they aren't even really making anymore) by our lactation consultant - mostly because she had lots of success with it. There are so many options out there- and the nipple selection is even worse. We were told to not get the wide nipple that advertises as "more breast-like" as the baby might start to like it a little too much (which happened anyway with our more narrow nipples).
I would have loved to use glass bottles...but I know there would have been some injuries from the glass as my son loves to play and punch the bottles.
Cleaning bottles sucks. This is my husbands mantra. I pump, he cleans :)

The bottles we use: http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-VentAire- ... rd+bottles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

So funny, BossyLhassi, my MIL the lactation consultant told us to only get the wide mouth kind so it wouldn't confuse the baby. I think it comes down to personal preference. I'm sure it's anecdotal on both sides.

We wanted to get glass since we don't really eat from plastic ourselves, but they seemed like they'd be too heavy once they're filled. And the metal ones were really expensive.

We used Dr. Brown wide mouth. I have no idea if the whole gas thing is just marketing or not, but we liked them. I pumped a ton and stored in an extra bottle. The blue piece on top made it really easy to pour from the storage bottle to the feeding bottle. Less drippy than other bottles. And it's brutal to waste milk that you pump.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have one package of Medela breastmilk bottles. i believe the issue with plastic is BPA? i think you can find BPA free bottles no problem.
i dont know what is specific about the bottles i have that they are for breastmilk rather than formula.
i dont think i ever really used them though so i dont think im very helpful

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

All bottles (and anything intended for feeding babies) are bpa-free now. The issue with plastic (or an issue with it) is that it leaches lots of things into the food that it touches. And we just don't know what these compounds do in our bodies, if they do anything at all.

Personally, I don't think drinking from plastic is as pleasing as drinking from metal or glass. But on the other hand, I used plastic bottles. You do your best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

The two lactation consultants I saw recommended narrow mouth bottles for newborns since they said that it would encourage a proper latch for a breastfed baby. The idea is that in a narrow mouth bottle, the baby can take in the wide part of the nipple (the areola, if you will, of the bottle nipple), but in a wide mouth bottle, baby can ONLY suck on the nipple, so it doesn't encourage the baby to open his/her mouth as much. That's the theory from the LCs I saw, at least, but yeah, like mollyjade says, I don't think there's great evidence supporting any particular bottle nipple shape over another for supporting breastfeeding.

I used Dr Brown's glass bottles (narrow mouth) for a while, but when it became apparent that one of my twins was not going to breastfeed, I switched to Born Free glass bottles since they get cleaner in the dishwasher. The narrow straw-like part of the Dr Brown's bottle never got clean in my dishwasher, and I was just not going to wash 9 bottles a day by hand if I could use a dishwasher.