| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday Hysteria, Rampant Consumerism, and Your Kids
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:47 am 
Grandfathered In

This is the spot for pix and stories of gift-giving gone wrong, right, and out of control, 2010 edition.

And... go!

Post subject: Re: Holiday Hysteria, Rampant Consumerism, and Your Kids
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

GlueGun didn't get us up until 7:00! And then he bounced from one room to the other yelling "It's 7:08! It's 7:08! It's Christmas!" until we were all ready. "It's 7:09! It's 7:09!"

He got a giant Lego thing, which he's happily putting together right now. And, yes, I did end up caving on that other thing.

All in all, it went great. Sure, we probably overdid it—but maybe not as much as other years—but everyone's happy and replete with stuff. Let's just let ourselves enjoy that for one day?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i think we did pretty well. felix really doesn't "get" xmas yet, but he was excited about the presents and confused that they weren't all for him and all toys. we got him a book and a charlie harper memory game. i wanted to get him a new pair of shoes, too, but by the time i picked a pair i figured i should just wait to order them until after the holiday.

even the stuff from the grandparents/uncles wasn't too excessive (in my opinion). he got duplos from each set of grandparents, a wooden race car, some wooden train stuff from one aunt/uncle, and the other uncle put aside money for college. i'm trying to simplify his toys so that they are mostly blocks and wooden train stuff so i'm glad everyone obliged.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

oh my goodness. our friends and family are way too generous and Mike and I are way to good at finding greats deals and being unable to pass them up. we just got way too much stuff. Henry even quit like halfway through and took a break to play.

I got a neville longbottom wand from santa, star wars guesswho, a tofu ex-press, some earrings (all from Mike), and some action figures (from henry!).

Henry totally scored this year. He and zelda got some of those giant melissa and doug carboard blocks to share. He got two hot wheels tracks, a batcave and joker's hide out imaginext thing, a mobigo from his grandparents, a leapfrog junior book reader thing and some books, a robot apron, a book and movie from an aunt, a zuzu pet and track, and some other little things.

Zelda got some stacking blocks, some books, a fisher price "karaoke" stand-y thing, a couple of dolls from folks, a toy purse, an a zuzu pet.

and they each go pillow pets from an aunt!

we are just spoiled. next christmas is going to be smaller. this was way intense. totally fun, but really intense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

5 year old boy-tons of star wars stuff including a spinning double lightsaber. I fear he's going to break something with it but I bought it. I've had a little fun with it too.
2 year old girl-I got her a princess tricycle. Didn't take into account that everyone else would buy her princess stuff so it's princess this princess that i'm going to dance like a princess i'm a princess i want to play princess.
Way less stuff than the previous years and lots of new clothes-I've been mending jeans and am relieved we won't have to buy a whole new wardrobe for awhile for both of the kids.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:51 am 
Grandfathered In

GlueGun spent two hours (!) building his giant Lego thing. And he saud repeatedly it was the best Christmas ever. "Just the Lego thing would have been enough! But then there's all this other great stuff!"

By 9:00 tonight he had a fever and felt awful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Lego fever is the worst! Hope gg feels better soon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Megan My Dear wrote:
way to good at finding greats deals and being unable to pass them up

ugh, this is me! cannot resist the insane good deals! and I just love toys I guess. it was quite the hurricane of gifts around here! i have big plans for huge hauls of old stuff to goodwill this week, once everyone recovers from this stupid stomach virus they've had the past few days.

silas found a mickey figurine immediately and made him dance and climb on all the gifts. eventually we opened stuff for him. he was happiest just climbing on his wagon. shae's over the moon with kinect and his basketball goal and boardgames and hexbugs and...oh my. too much stuff. must, must get this under control next year.

kids managed to last through the festivities without being sick, but all night, with the vomiting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:19 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I don't have kids, but I was so happy (and proud of my sister's parenting) when my 5-year-old nephew squee'd with delight at a blue & brown striped hoodie (He yelled "IT HAS A HOOD!!!!") & a Yoda shirt (she said he needed long sleeved shirts; so that's what we got him).

He got tons of toys from everyone else, including a Buzz Lightyear Nerf gun that all of us had way too much fun with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Legos are the best! Sprog had a lego swap this week and got Prince of Persia, a Kraken, and something else weird- a small dragon in a suitcase, i believe. She had about 100000 pirates that she traded.

We didn't do gifts, and Sprog was just fine. There is a promise of more legos in a few months when i get to travel again though so i guess it's just pushed back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mike and I just love toys too. I can see some parents who are more mature or serious than me not going crazy, but I want to play by one get one free zhu zhu pets and my little ponies!! I want to play Henry's new favorite game, "batman, robin, and truck".

It is just too much fun. I love the mickey that Silas got! we have a lot of fun dancing with the display at target.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:09 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We did okay I think. I was so worried about the montains of boxes that my mother sent, but once it was all unwrapped, it didn't seem as bad. (Anyone who has parents and in-laws who will listen to you are soooo lucky!)
I am very thankful that other relatives were able to get him some things that I think he'll enjoy; he got a lot of Richard Scarry and Dr. Seuss books, the Cars dvd (which I thought he'd want to watch immediately, but hasn't yet because it's "too loud") and some jammies.
We got him a play carpenter set, a pair of Troublesome Trucks for his wooden Thomas set, and some stocking stuffers like stickers and coloring books. He's been very busy playing!
Here he is in the aftermath (not all are new toys):

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Megan My Dear wrote:
Mike and I just love toys too. I can see some parents who are more mature or serious than me not going crazy, but I want to play by one get one free zhu zhu pets and my little ponies!! I want to play Henry's new favorite game, "batman, robin, and truck".

It is just too much fun. I love the mickey that Silas got! we have a lot of fun dancing with the display at target.

That Mickey is the funnest! Silas laughs till he falls over at him. Then of course, we laugh till we want to fall over.

We've been having as much fun with the toys as the kids are too. I'm seriously sore from Kinect Soccer *thanks to the grandparents!), UBuild Connect 4 is super annoying to put together, but super fun to play, it's like Plinko!

Silas is crawling through a play tunnel after our kitten and a zhu zhu pet right now right now and Shae is lining up forty billion lego star wars guys to build the battle of endor or whatever with matt. I love Santa Claus! There, I said it. (of course, Silas doesn't know or what what a Santa is and Shae is way over it.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think we did really well. He got two small presents from us (a ball and some bubble bath) and a couple of small things from his grandparents (an outfit, a small stuffed animal, two picture books, some of those plastic linking rings that toddlers like). He got one big present from his grandparents, which is this:

It's actually kind of a present for me too, because I figure I can haul him around the farmer's market in it AND carry our produce, which should be a little easier than carrying my 30 lb toddler on my back and hauling three bags of vegetables around in my arms. I hope.

Anyway, we had a really good Christmas and no one in the family went too crazy with presents, so I am very pleased!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Henry won't watch cars either because it is too loud. Doesn't bother me! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We didn't do too bad for baby's 1st Xmas. He didn't have a clue what was going on but had fun getting passed around all the relatives like a hot potato. He really seems to like strangers, at least for now. He kept smiling and laughing when everyone held him, which of course made people go even more baby gaga. It was really cute.

As far as presents we didn't get too much unnecessary stuff so that was good. My brother & sister in law got him the perfect dim room nightlight which I totally needed, but didn't tell them I needed so that was pretty amazing! It is a discovery kids fish aquarium light, which is perfect because his room is ocean theme. It is just light enough to see him while nursing at night but still sleep with it on.

The only annoying thing is we ended up with a huge sack of clothes when all I asked for was winter hats & fleece pyjamies. He got hats, but they're too big, along with half the other clothes. I can understand why people buy big for a shower before the baby is born, but why do they continue to do this now when we know what size he is?! He's not going to fit into 6 Mos. clothes till April, and won't need warm winter clothes then!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

you never know, aubade. babies grow fast even after the first few months. it seems like felix didn't stop growing out of stuff every month until he hit about 1 1/2. last winter he grew out of all his winter pjs by jan/feb, but all the stores had changed their stock to spring stuff so it was impossibly hard to find him warm stuff (even the thrift stores were picked pretty clean). this year i stocked up on oversized footie pjs just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

tzippy's first christmas! and we did pretty well i think. hubby and i didn't get her anything though. her first birthday is in feb, so she'll get a ton of stuff then, and i figure we will have nearly a whole year without much in the way of gifts, so better to save our money and use it then. my mom was actually the biggest culprit in loud plastic toys... MIL was very restrained. she got a couple outfits, a couple stuffed toys, a drum and a couple of books from that side of the family. from mine, she got a horrific singing cellphone, a doll, some little animals with wheels, a play tent and a couple books and dvds. i think that's about it. i would have liked some more clothing and less plastic, but honestly, it was way way better than i imagined. next year i will be prepared earlier in the year with a list of toys that we want her to have.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:25 am 

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
you never know, aubade. babies grow fast even after the first few months. it seems like felix didn't stop growing out of stuff every month until he hit about 1 1/2. last winter he grew out of all his winter pjs by jan/feb, but all the stores had changed their stock to spring stuff so it was impossibly hard to find him warm stuff (even the thrift stores were picked pretty clean). this year i stocked up on oversized footie pjs just in case.

I guess you never know, but the annoying thing is, what will he wear now? He just started wearing 0 - 3! I specifically asked for that size because no one bought him small clothes at my shower. So I've got drawers full of 6 - 12 Mos but hardly anything for now. I mean, he'll live but it is just kind of weird. Like they did this for Halloween too - someone bought him 6 Mos size costume when he was a 6 lb 2 week old baby! Haha I just don't know what they were thinking. It's like they just can't buy small clothes no matter how small he is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Gift receipts? Toys r us exchanges without receipts! Hopefully you can exchange some for the sizes you need now. I was expecting Zelda to be a chunk bc Henry was and she wasn't. She is a year next month and still fitting in some 6 and 9 month stuff. Henry was already in 12 to 18 mo at this point!

Ps target is starting to put all of their baby stuff and toys on clearance for their year end inventory. That is how we got most of this years Xmas gifts for 75 percent off!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:32 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Aubade-do you have a childrens clothing consignment shop nearby? Some people would buy way too small for our son-he grew tall real fast so when he was 6 months old he was wearing size 12 months. On the other hand our daughter pretty much wears the size for her age. Where we live now the weather is pretty mild so if someone does that it's not a big deal but it sucked when we lived somewhere colder!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:07 pm 

I didnt get any gift receipts & my friend told me babiesrus doesn't take things back witout receipts (plus I hate returning things) so I didn't even think about that.

The good news is I got the tags off them all today and it isn't as bad as I thought. The hats looked huge but I tried them on and although they are definitely big, they are wearable. They will probably fit him just right in feb. And the 6 Mos stuff is at least cute even though I dont really need it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

really? babies r us always takes back stuff here without a receipt. you should call and check with yours for future reference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:45 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

my children had a nice xmas. x-mas and birthdays are really the only time of year I splurge on things. In our home if its new, its a gift to you, so that includes, new coat, new shoes, boots, socks, uniforms and such in addition to the scooters, books and electronics.

we are a bit past the legos here. in a way sad to see them move past, but also not unhappy about not having to clean them up constantly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:41 pm 
Grandfathered In

Studiobound wrote:
my children had a nice xmas. x-mas and birthdays are really the only time of year I splurge on things. In our home if its new, its a gift to you, so that includes, new coat, new shoes, boots, socks, uniforms and such in addition to the scooters, books and electronics.

we are a bit past the legos here. in a way sad to see them move past, but also not unhappy about not having to clean them up constantly.

Wait, wait...

You're supposed to clean them up?