| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things I couldn't have lived without in the first week
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Now that the first week home is over and still fresh in my mind I thought I would make a list for the soon to be mamas of the stuff that I felt like I couldn't have lived without right away. I know I struggled with trying to have only the necessities right away and not being so carried away by having too much stuff.

-good solid chair for nursing. I was so lucky that my mom's baby gift to us was a really nice rocker/recliner. When I was first trying to get the hang of breastfeeding it made things so much easier to have a good chair with supportive arms to feed him in. Plus sitting with him in it and rocking was great for soothing him when I was too sore from labor to walk around and get up to bounce/sway/rock him

-a boppy. in the hospital I needed like 4 pillows to prop him and my arms so they wouln't get tired. When I got home breastfeeding got so much easier mostly because of the boppy. I use it to hold him when I sit on our unsupportive futon and now am able to nurse etc while using the computer.

-a lot of diapers and wipes and a full size pail. I got 2 packs of newborn diapers plus the pack from the hospital as gifts and used those first then broke into the cloth stash. With the disposable stuff we liked 7th generation wipes the best but with cloth I just have a stack of 8x8 flannel fabric that I use dry to wipe him and it works fine. We quickly figured out we didn't have enough cloth diapes so we had to run to the store and buy a dozen prefolds to suppliment until we figured out what we really like.

-lots of cheap recieving/swaddling blankets. we only swaddled for a few days but even so having lots of thin blankets on hand was a good thing. They seemed to get wet easily and needed to be washed frequently with spitting up, the disposables leaking and changing him on top of. I don't have any of the expensive fancy swaddling blankets and I have no need for them because I just have cheap ones. they may be smaller but they really don't need to be huge.

-tons of burp cloths. We have the crappy gerber cloth diapers that we use for burp cloths. They seem like the cheapest option.

-a place to put him down. we quicly learned we really needed somewhere to put him down in the living room where we spent most of our time. My dad got us a pack n play but before that for a couple of days we were putting him down in his stroller because we really didn't have anywhere to put him when we need to just put him down for a second and he would be safe. We also have dogs so I don't know if that comes into play with needing a secure place in every room to put him. I couldn't put him down in the bedroom in his crib and not be able to see him if he needed us but maybe thats just me.

-the moby or other baby wearing device. even when there are others here to help hold him I use my moby at least once a day so I am able to make myself breakfast or whatever and he wont let me put him down. I could probably live without it but I don't want to!

-clothes that are super easy th get on and off. we like gowns the best because they can cover him if its chilly but can just be scooched up for a diaper change which is every hour around here. For going out I like sleepers because they cover everything and snap around the diaper area, no need for socks/pants etc. If he was born in the warmer months we probably wouln't even bother with clothes.

-energy bars- I don't even have time to warm one handed foods up in the microwave a lot of the time.

-my camelbak water bottle. One handed water bottle... yes please. I wouldn't drink if I didn't have one of these. I have also been sick since I came home and need constant water. There is no way I could have lived with a water bottle I needed to unscrew to drink out of or a cup that I would most likely spill over me or wolverine.

That's all I can think of now. I know other people will have different opinions and I'd like to hear their opinons on this too.

Post subject: Re: Things I couldn't have lived without in the first week
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks for sharing tank! I really need to get my hands on a rocker & a boppy...everything else on your list, I seem to have already :)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hmm. Gosh it already seems so far away! But here goes. Most of what I needed, you may note, wasn't really baby gear or baby clothes, but just stuff to keep comfortable and entertained and make it through those first few days with minimal effort!

- hospital grade pump, parts kit, a dental syringe for feeding, and a properly fitted nipple shield, although these are kinda specialty things you won't know if you'll need until later. Buuuut I think it's a great idea to have the number of a good LC with you at birth, because more than any THING, a home visit from a good lactation consultant was the best money we spent that first week.

- hands free pumping bra. If you have trouble getting nursing off to a good start at all and have to do supplemental feeding, these are invaluable. Plus, if you're intending to pump and bottle feed at all in the future you may as well get one. http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Han ... B00295MQLU

- My Brest Friend. I like this better than the boppy because it's sturdier, has some back support, and has a pocket (that I used for the nipple shield in the first months and for a cleanup cloth). If you can splurge for an extra cover, get one. In fact, as a general rule, buy or make an extra cover for anything that has a cover. ;)

- One of everything you can't carry back and forth for every floor you want to be on. The guideline for us was no stairs the first 24 hours, followed by one round trip of stairs the first day, two the second day, three the third, etc. We basically lived out of our downstairs guest room half the day and our upstairs regular bedroom the other half, and having the playyard (with bassinet/changing table) set up downstairs was invaluable. We had a place to change and set her on every floor, along with a place to rest. If you don't want to do this, plan to stay on one floor most of the time and have EVERYTHING you need there.

- A water cooler, pitcher, or water bottles! I drank so much water in late pregnancy and right after Vi was born, and I loved having a water cooler upstairs so I didn't have to go downstairs for it. Alternatively, keep lots of bottles of water or have your partner bring glasses and a huge pitcher or something to you, and keep it near where you'll be nursing. Near as in you can reach it while sitting.

- Entertainment--something to keep you occupied within arm's reach of where you'll be nursing. If you're pumping those first few days, assuming you got your hands free bra (See above!) you'll have hands available for reading, but if you're nursing it might be a two handed operation until you get the hang of things. So very passive entertainment works well - tv with remote, audio books, kindle set somewhere you can read with no hands or with the read aloud function, a tablet or laptop you can play TV shows on...whatever. I wouldn't plan on relying on live tv unless you like infomercials, since you'll be up at all hours!

- food. I was SO glad I'd made tons of stuff and frozen it in advance. Casseroles were something even my culinarily challenged husband could pop in the oven, and he could microwave me empanadas, breakfast sandwiches, and muffins I'd made in advance. Plenty of boxes of nutritious filling cereal are nice to have on hand as well!!! It was also nice to have frozen a few rolls of shortbread dough beforehand that I could easily slice and bake, though that was really more like 2-6 weeks in, not the first week postpartum.

- blankets. I loved the Aden & Anais swaddling blankets. We had a july baby so we didn't bother with clothing much - she was so tiny and needed changing so often and we didn't have many nb clothes at first because i was expecting a bigger baby...plus you don't need to worry about an umbilical stump that way. So basically she got diapered and wrapped in blankets a lot the first week or two. You'll find so many uses for these that I think they're better than clothing personally! If you are giving birth in a colder time of year, maybe some kimono wrap long sleeve shirts and a few pairs of NEWBORN size leg warmers. (the regular size are ridiculous for newborns)

- Nursing-friendly PJs for me. I lived in pajamas, because I was up at all hours and sleeping when I could and there just wasn't a strict delineation between sleeping time and daytime. Plus I didn't really fit in my old clothes for weeks (and still don't fit in half my jeans!), so there was that. Note that nursing friendly doesn't have to mean marketed as nursing PJs, just make sure the waistband is forgiving (if you fit in them while 9 months pregnant, you'll be fine) and your breasts easily accessible without shedding too much of the top (because even in warm weather it can feel cold to be completely bare on top).

- Forgiving (sized S/M/L rather than by band and cup) nursing bras. This always seems to be a controversial topic but I personally loved the Bravada seamless silk (not real silk!) bras early on. I lived switching between two of those for the first couple of months. They're not the sexiest bras ever, but it's only been recently that I cared.

- for diapers, we had some newborn fitteds and covers (prefolds were ridiculously bulky on her the first couple of weeks!), but for the meconium poop period it was nice to have some newborn disposables. She didn't fit in size 1s right away so it was lucky I'd bought a pack!

- a baby scale. Everyone will tell you not to get one because you can drive yourself crazy measuring...But I find it very helpful to have, and when she was getting weighed constantly because of the jaundice and we were getting judged based on the results, it was nice to have some assurance she was eating and gaining prior to going in to the hospital. It really depends on your personality, I think.

- The car seat, of course.

- Night lights. For the changing station, and if you can manage to figure out nursing in bed it can be invaluable to have a light, especially one that you can turn on and off from in bed. Right now I have a motion sensing nightlight in the bedroom that comes on if I get out of bed and a reading light on the headboard that I can turn on to see how V is latching on. Now I can mostly do this in the dark but that was far from the case early on! Nothing is worse than getting your baby well positioned and drifting off to sleep or nursing happily and not be able to get up to turn off a big glaring overhead light.

- bottle brush, dishwasher basket, etc.. This is another one of those things that's not that useful if you're not using bottles, but it's nice to have a dishwasher basket for spare parts and a bottle brush for hand washing. You can also get those microwave sterilizer bags from Medela - our breastmilk freezer kit came with one, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the lists, ladies! I really appreciate the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I also want to add some mama stuff as well. Some heavy duty pads. I underestimated what I would need and thought my half pack of regular flow pads and half dozen cloth pads would do it. Um, no. I am on my 3rd pack of heavy flow nightime pads. I know that the amout one bleeds afterwards really depends on the person and how the birth went but I am really glad I had my mom here to go out and buy me pads before I got home.

For breastfeeding I also made sure I had some nipple cream and although I haven't used it yet that is something I figured if I really needed it right away I wouldn't want to have to go out 3 days pp to get or instruct someone else to go get either.

Also, breast pads. I just have disposables right now because I didn't know how much I would leak but I use at least one a day and I am glad I had them. Again, this varies but it doesn't hurt to at least have some on hand because the last thing you want is to be stuffing cloth diapers in your already stuffed full bra.

I just have the 3 soft sleep type bras I used in pregnancy and it is fine for now. Once I go back to work I will need better ones that fit good but these are good for around the house after having the baby and they are stretchy so I can just pop a boob out whenever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I didn't really leak and I was so thankful for breast pads too, my nipples were pretty sore at the beginning and it was nice to have that extra cushion. Nipple cream was really nice too.

I bout an iPad before having grey and it has been awesome, I can read on it, watch Netflix, hulu and Internet all one handed! It is also so easily portable.

Definitely agree about the water, I also had a summer baby and I just wanted ice water all the time.

I didn't have an appetite at all after having grey for a few weeks, so it was great to have meals prepared because I would not have made anything, and Nate cannot cook so I would not have eaten at all if there hadn't been food prepared.

The biggest thing I learned: don't be afraid to ask for help! Your partner, family, friends, etc. They want to help (and get a glimpse of your baby). Anytime someone wanted to come over, they had to bring something or do something. We didn't make this rule, but it just seemed to work out that way. My friend Elizabeth still comes over once a week or so and makes me lunch and cleans my kitchen. I know lots of y don't want company, and that is fine, but if you are having people stop by, ask them to pick up a pizza or do a load of laundry. Trust me, they will be happy to do it!

Oh yes, and be prepared that all you are going to do for the first month is feed your baby. There is nothing else. You will hold your baby and feed it constantly. Honestly, I had no idea I would spend so many hours a day feeding my baby, it was shocking and a little overwhelming. It would take him 45 minutes to eat, sometimes longer and then I would get maybe an hour break and he would want to eat again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

littlebear wrote:
I bout an iPad before having grey and it has been awesome, I can read on it, watch Netflix, hulu and Internet all one handed! It is also so easily portable.
Oh yes, and be prepared that all you are going to do for the first month is feed your baby. There is nothing else. You will hold your baby and feed it constantly. Honestly, I had no idea I would spend so many hours a day feeding my baby, it was shocking and a little overwhelming. It would take him 45 minutes to eat, sometimes longer and then I would get maybe an hour break and he would want to eat again.

Yes and yes! After nursing for about 3 years straight, I decided to splurge and buy a kindle and it has changed my breastfeeding life! Even when Raygold was a year old he was still nursing for a long time in the evenings and being able to read one-handed has been wonderful. I've only bought one book (Apartment Therapy) and the rest have been free (I do a lot of trolling for free kindle books).
I can't wait to have my next baby (no, I'm not pregnant yet) so I can read during those nurse-a-thons during the first few months.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:51 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My mom alwaysalways gets a boppy as a shower gift for moms-to-be. She worked as the head instructor for her hospital's childbirth and childcare education program so she knows her stuff, even if the boppy wasn't around when she had kids of her own. She probably also gets it as a way to encourage breatfeeding in new mom's.

I'd tell her about Mom's Best Friend but it might just make her sad that she's not likely to have grandchildren.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebear wrote:

I'm so excited to have an iPhone this time around. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I think that part of my PPD with the Emperor came from how damn isolated I felt-- which was in part due to the fact that I mostly couldn't get online/couldn't connect with my online support people. There's no using a full sized laptop with a newborn or infant. At least not that I could figure out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

*doing the numbers to convince the husband that all the money saved from using cloth diapers should go towards purchasing an ipad before the next baby*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:48 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I would add a few things to the list:

3-4 squishy pillows for nursing support
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
Extra packages of underwear for you and your husband for those times when you just can't get to the laundry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I was trying to use a vegan (Motherlove) nipple salve right after she was born, and as a result I think I have permanant tissue damage to my nipples because they were bleeding and cracked and it was horrible. I would up using Lanolin even though it was not vegan and it healed my nipples and allowed me to continue breastfeeding. So be prepared if breastfeeding doesn't go off without a hitch.

Even if you don't plan on feeding formula, have an emergency option at home before the baby is born.

I went through a lot of breastpad things for inside my bra in the beginning. The cloth ones didn't work for me.

Basically I would just prepare for more than just your ideal new baby situation so that you can figure things out quickly when things aren't happening like you imagined.

Something that helped me a lot in the beginning after she was about 4 weeks and I was all by myself at home was getting a generously sized basket and putting ALL the personal and baby items that I would possibly need so that I could have everything within arms reach while breastfeeding or having baby fall asleep on me and not wanting to move her if she was in a light sleep. This will also save Daddy a lot of trips getting things for you that you suddenly remember you need once you sit down to nurse your baby. Burp cloths, nasal aspirator, baby nail clippers, nipple cream of choice, breastpads, a snack, e-reader or other entertainment, baby toy that jingles, any baby medication, a bottle of water, etc...

I still use the basket it is sitting in the middle of top of the bed in between the pillows whenever I need to feed her lying down everything is right there and I don't have to get up. I also have my laptop there to play baby music and remote control for the humidfier and the A/C unit, my alarm clock and my cell phone.

Getting organized so that you have a system going for caring for yourself and baby will smooth the transition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 am 

flavabean wrote:
*doing the numbers to convince the husband that all the money saved from using cloth diapers should go towards purchasing an ipad before the next baby*

Although I just raved about my kindle, I do wish I'd splurged for the 3G one because you can get (really slow) internet on the kindle (I have the kind with the wee keyboard) pretty much anywhere with a 3G one -- we don't have wi-fi at home, so I can only get my kindle on the internet when there is free wi-fi. (I didn't really know about the internet-thing when I bought the kindle, but it's so much fun. I don't have a smartphone or anything (or a mobile phone at all), so this is like living in the future for me.) ;p

...And I hear the new Kindle tablet (not available here in the UK) is pretty sweet. And cheaper than an iPad. (Nothing against iPads, though!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:45 pm 

I don't have anything particularly noteworthy to add (yet!), but can I just say that this is a bitchin' thread!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This thread is awesome! I'm so grateful for all the great advice. I'm due in six weeks and am starting to think/freak out about the postpartum period and how to prepare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

These suggestions are all so spot on! Thanks everyone for sharing!

- Dragonssister - I love your basket idea! I hated having to get up to grab more water or another blanket during the first week, because I was on my own for the second half of it during the daytime, and my stitches made it so uncomfortable to move around. This time around I will definitely have a little basket prepared with everything I need in it!

I second keeping lots of water handy, as well as one handed entertainment. And definitely a comfortable chair! If you settle yourself on a couch/chair with a little table by it, you can definitely PPK on a laptop if you don't have an iPad. Ooh, I wonder if those book holders are any good? They might be useful if you want to read throughout all those breastfeeding marathons..

And food! Having prepped snacks is so fantastic - muffins (can be frozen before baby arrives), apples, homemade larabars/granola bars.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

bodhi wrote:

And food! Having prepped snacks is so fantastic - muffins (can be frozen before baby arrives), apples, homemade larabars/granola bars.

yah I don't usually eat bananas but I was so glad to have some at my house when I got home. when he wouldn't let me leave him for more than a minute it was nice to be able to run into the kitchen real quick and grab one to bring back to the bedroom to eat for prebreakfast. I normally can't get the time to eat something I need to heat up or prepare in anyway for at least a few hours and breastfeeding makes you super hungry. By heat up/prepare I even mean microwave something for 30 sec or spread peanut butter on or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

What an awesome list! A lot of stuff I got (mostly hand-me-downs and gifts) I haven't needed or really used, but the few things I have found invaluable:

Blessed Nest nursing pillow: http://stores.blessednest.com/-strse-Th ... gories.bok My one splurge (about double the price of a Boppy) but it is fabulous and we can use it as a regular pillow after nursing. Papa likes the support of it when he's holding baby, too.

Some sort of night light for nursing in bed: our bed is in a little nook, so the lamp in the corner of the room just gets left on because it doesn't shine directly on the bed.

Nipple shield: baby was tongue-tied so this was essential before his frenulum was snipped. At least half of the BFing mamas I know have needed one for some reason or other, so you might as well have one or know where you can easily get one (they're like $8; my midwife always has them on hand and gave me one at baby's birth).

Water bottle that doesn't have a screw off lid - keeping hydrated is difficult for me, and this makes it a little bit easier!

Nursing tanks - I strongly prefer these to the nursing bras, mostly because I don't want to wear a bra if I don't have to! The Glamourmom ones are my favorite because your whole boob doesn't hang out, there's just a hole for your nipple, but they are spendy if you buy them new.

2 packs of disposable newborn diapers - the cloth diapers were irritating his cord stump, so we used these until it fell off at 12 days old.

Warm and fuzzy blankets - we haven't used the swaddle or receiving blankets at all, probably because it's chilly in Portland.

Hoohobbers chair: I got one used for $5 and it's perfect to put him in when I can't hold him or just lay him on the floor or couch (making breakfast, pooping, etc.) http://www.hoohobbers.com/baby_rocker.html Mine didn't come with the "removable toy bar" which I wouldn't use any way. Plenty of interesting things in the environment to engage baby IMO!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

BigEnchiladas wrote:
Blessed Nest nursing pillow: http://stores.blessednest.com/-strse-Th ... gories.bok My one splurge (about double the price of a Boppy) but it is fabulous and we can use it as a regular pillow after nursing. Papa likes the support of it when he's holding baby, too.

So glad you love this! Everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting an expensive organic nursing pillow, I'm happy to hear it's worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:58 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've been meaning to add on to this thread...

I was so happy to have the number of a lactation consultant I met at a breastfeeding class already programmed into my phone.

My feet/ankles were super swollen and I couldn't manage regular socks and shoes at first. I was thankful for slip-on cushy slippers with a hard sole so I could wear them outside, too.

I lived in my flannel robe the first week. It was perfect for skin to skin time without being too cold. Also great to put on when a visitor showed up.

I needed a rental pump and the hands free bra was REALLY worth it. At first I tried to get by without it, but if you have to pump every two hours you need this.

My iPhone has been a life saver. I use Baby connect app to keep track of diapers and nursing sessions. Also my entertainment device, alarm clock, white noise, camera, etc.

My brest friend pillow has been my constant companion. I also have a bobby and it doesn't really compare in my opinion. I use the bobby as a back up and my husband likes it while he is holding her, but the Brest friend was so helpful in the first days when latching on was stressful. I wish I had an extra cover because I hate not having it when it needs to be washed. It makes a little shelf for me to hold my phone and I can have a free hand while she is nursing.

Oh, I wish that I had taken more mesh undies and pads from the hospital. Take as many as you can.

Netflix streaming has been pretty important to me in the middle of the night.

I loved my ring sling and peekaroo fleece for those first visits to the doctor.

And once I was a little more confident with nursing, I started wearing nursing tanks and I wish I had more than two. I also live in my yoga pants.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut, if you want more nursing tanks, I had a good experience ordering the gilligan & malley ones online.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My list is nursing tanks, yoga pants, cardigans or hoodies, Brest friend pillow, kindle, Netflix, a postpartum doula or really and truly helpful friend or family member, a lactation consultant on the fourth or fifth day(whatever you do, get an lc the day your milk comes in), and at least a medela hand pump for engorgement. Make sure you get flanges that fit. Most women need a large.

And I personally would never ever ever accept a nipple shield from anyone but an lc. It isn't in anyone else's scope of practice to recommend them. Not even a midwife, u less she is an lc too. They can be really hard to mean baby off, and while they do serve a purpose they are not a fix all and shouldn't be used willy nilly ( I am not implying that you used it that way)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Boppy, formula for when my nipples are just too sore to breast feed, large square receiving blankets for swaddling, iPhone for keeping me entertain when I breast feed. That's pretty much it, everything else that I thought I would need (bassinet, rocking chair) I haven't even used.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 pm 
Semen Strong

I love you Momo. I completely agree. I bought so much stuff that we never use!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:44 am 

I second (third?) yoga pants! I can fit into my jeans again, but I still wear my yoga pants most of the time these days!

And breastfeeding tank tops with built-in bras. I got some majamas ones from the US on ebay and they are great. Not sure what I'm going to do when they kick the bucket, but I've had these two for nearly 4 years and they are faded, but otherwise still in great shape. Did I mention them already earlier in this thread?