| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Parenting Resources
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm 
Semen Strong

I love Peppa Pig - all the characters are animals, the food shown is always vegetarian, the parents and children all interact in a really nice and respectful way and there are adults in non-gender typical jobs so the fire brigade is all the mums and Miss Rabbit is the rescue helicopter pilot. And they are focused on simple joys - so each child gets one present or chocolate egg, not huge amounts. My only issue so far is that they depict Father Christmas as real, but those episodes are easy to skip.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

HELP! A friend of mine in the UK is thinking about transitioning to a vegan diet for herself and her two little girls. I've sent Kelly's list of resources, and some of the other great suggestions here, wondered if are there any other books etc. that I can recommend to her?
Her main concerns is that the wee ones get all the nutrients they need.
Thanks in advance PPK!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:41 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The book Vegan for Life has nutrition information for children. It's written by two registered dieticians.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks Molly Jade!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

There's also The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Eating for Kids.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mandy Coot, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

On the way to the grocery store today I walked past a box full of free books and there were 6-8 pregnancy books, many of which are mentioned in this thread, so I grabbed them all. Score! We're not officially TTC until next month but still...great timing!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

TTC?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Trying to conceive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:36 am 

Can someone recommend a really good book on breastfeeding that will tell me everything that I need to know? I know nothing! Does such a book exist? I'm so worried that if I do something wrong I'm going to end up with thrush or mastitis or some horribly painful malady. Does such a book exist?

I have a doula and will have a couple of post-partum visits with her and she knows about nursing (she's not a lactation consultant, but she seems to know a lot about nursing, and she can refer me to a lactation consultant if I need one). But the over-planner in me wants to read all about it beforehand. Basically I want a textbook on nursing.

Is the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding the book that I should get?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:38 am 

That's the most popular one. Make sure you get a relatively recent one. I read one from the '70s first, and it was horrible.

I also liked the book by the Academy of Pediatrics, The New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Someone gifted me their old copy of The Nursing Mother's Companion, and I found it very helpful in my cluelessness about breastfeeding. It's a little judge-y in the "formula is bad, breast is best" sense, but I did like the practical how-to parts and illustrations that spelled out different positions and how to latch a baby.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know there's been mentions of Ruby Roth in this thread. We've had some of her books for a while but just recently got "Vegan Is Love". I like that her books are honest in their depiction of suffering even though sometimes, like halfway thru "Thats Why We Don't Eat Animals" I find myself starting to get weepy, but WOW I find the first page of Vegan Is Love to be a really thoughtful, well-worded and very posi "explanation" for why we live the way we do. The final page of the book as well. It's definitely geared toward older kids anyway, and I really think it can be helpful for my 6yr old who understands veganism in general but is not quite there when articulating it to others.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think Vegan is Love is the only one i dont have ill have to check it out.

i like V is for Vegan because it's more age appropriate for BP. i have "And That's Why We Dont Eat Animals" too but i find it not so age appropriate for such young kids so maybe when shes older

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am ordering those books from my library to see if I want to buy them for our upcoming little one!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i definitely would get V is for Vegan.

its very cute. it's basically an alphabet book (A is for animals, friends no food....etc)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the Ruby Roth kids cookbook just came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Yourself-Cookbook-Kids-Plant-Based/dp/1449471870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460485629&sr=8-1&keywords=ruby+roth

i preordered it because it was coming out right before BP's bday and its REALLY cute. it has a ton of recipes in it and i think BP is way too young for it (which i kind of expected) since she is just about to turn 3 but i think maybe 5-6 year olds might like it? most of the recipes are fairly simple but made fun for kids and not just kids but vegan kids! yay!
its also not just like you know pbj or ants on a log. some of it kind of inspired me to make different things for BP.

we already tried the strawberry mops (its supposed to be strawberries that you dip in a paste made from almond flour, coconut flakes, and agave but i just put out a bowl of coconut flakes and dipped them in that. ha! then BP just wanted to eat the coconut flakes with a spoon).

all the recipes i think are really healthy too. no junky ones. i think there are a few sweet ones but i think she uses dates alot.
it seems to call for spirulina powder in a lot of recipes as an optional add on. i havent read through the book at all yet so im not sure what is so magical for kids about spirulina powder other than its a fun green color.

it has fun illustrations and blurbs about various vegan and environmental topics. there is a look inside on amazon but it doesnt really show you any of the recipes except a couple drink ones.

anywho i think it's really fun and maybe when BP is a bit older she might like it too. for now i might try to kind of get her involved as much as a 3 year old can with some of them. (i let her use a knife the other day and whoa boy! watch out world!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:31 pm 

I got it, too. It's sooo much better than the other veg kids books.

I think there are a handful of recipes that younger kids can do. There are some drinks where you just add the ingredients to a jar and shake. And a few things where you just mix a handful of things together. Still, I'm looking forward to when Jonah is older.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We got it too! Alice just liked looking at the pictures and doesn't seem to interested in actually eating anything in it.. Ada says she wants to make everything in the book. So far we have made the chocolate mousse and the cream cheese cucumber tea sandwiches. Both things Ada has eaten before. Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm going to order it, I think. My kids loved Pretend Soup when we had it out from the library. Are there illustrated steps in this one or do you need to read the instructions to them?

Gotta love the one star Amazon reviews calling it vegan propaganda, ha.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

there's no illustrated steps. they do have pictures of the end product though if that's at all helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:41 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my SIL bought BP this book at the Nashville (?) VegFest. it's called Tiny Tallulah and the Trouble with Zoos

http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Tallulah-Trouble-Zoos-Ashley/dp/0692521453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461853777&sr=8-1&keywords=tiny+tallulah+and+the+trouble+with+zoos

it's pretty good i think it's appropriate for her age and up (she just turned 3).
we have 2 Ruby Roth books and i love V is for Vegan but the other one we have (i think its Thats Why We Dont Eat Animals) is really heavy handed for younger kids i think. this one is a bit less hardcore for lack of a better term. i mean everyone has their own opinions but i think books about factory farming is a bit much for a 2-3 year old.

Tallulah loves animals and has a pet rat named Charlie who is her BFF and she wants to see other animals she has never seen like lions, giraffes, and kangaroos and they happen upon a zoo and Tallulah is like YES! I CAN GO SEE THE ANIMALS. Charlie tells her they arent supposed to go to the zoo and she's like "too bad im going"

inside she immediately sees how horrible the animals are treated and so she learns herself why her parents dont want her going to a zoo. she goes and yells at the zookeepers and they basically laugh in her face. she goes home upset to her mom (and this part kills me everytime i read it because its like a page out of my life) and her mom is baking VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES and gives her a glass of ALMOND MILK (ahahahaha!) and they talk about how it was important for her to learn herself why zoos are bad and her mom teaches her she can help the animals by not going to places that hurt animals and also educating others so Tallulah makes signs and goes and protests at the zoo.

then her mom rewards her by taking her to an animal sanctuary where it just so happens the animals she wanted to see (lions, giraffes, and kangaroos) are there but in a sanctuary roaming free (this part seems a tad unrealistic to me)

anyways its a nice book that i think is really appropriate for a preschool age (or older) because i feel like this is the age when schools and playgroups and stuff are going to zoos and i think it's hard for kids to understand at this age why everyone else can go and they cant. this explains it nicely.

im not overly jazzed on the illustrations i dont see anything about the illustrator in the actual book other than her name so i wonder if the illustrations are done by a kid (they look like they were).
the funny thing is the author's last name is also Roth but i dont think shes related to Ruby Roth. (or maybe she is)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:05 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds amazing!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:41 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So a big part of me becoming vegan was seeing animals in the zoo and thinking about how the animals must feel. So I don't feel.comfortable banning the zoo. I'm so torn on this one. That book sounds like it explains it really well.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:39 am 

Thanks for the synopsis! I've had it in my amazon cart for awhile but it's pricy so I didn't want to buy without knowing more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next