| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What foods helped your morning sickness?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My morning sickness just started a few days ago, and so I'm trying to figure out what's going to help it. So far plain bread rolls, and the super low fat thick cut fries seems to be working. I'm sure rice and other super plain carbs would work fine, but I have so little appetite for anything. Any vegan crackers or vegan sour/hard candies etc that people particularly liked? I don't usually eat candy at all but I feel like I need something to suck on to boost my blood sugar when I'm not feeling like eating.

Post subject: Re: What foods helped your morning sickness?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:19 pm 
Semen Strong

This thread might be helpful!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31303&hilit=food+morning+sickness

And congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:53 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

thanks :) - i'd searched but the search was returning a database error and i was too impatient to wait and try again later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:43 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have been eating lots and LOtS of toast for the past month or so. I try to keep it whole wheat, with good stuff like avocado or hummus on there, although some days I just do the ol' earth balance and nutritional yeast. It's helpful for me to eat as soon as I can when I get up. I'm starting to have less nausea than I was a few weeks ago, but for a few weeks there, just waiting for the toast to toast and putting things on it was enough time for me to start feeling sick, and I would usually eat it laying down on the couch. In the pregnancy updates thread, lots of people said juice helped. You may prefer that to candy if you're not much of a candy eater but want a quick bit of sugar. In that thread, lots of people also said that b vitamins helped, so I tried to look at morning sickness as a great reminder to take my vitamin before leaving the house!

I stocked up on ginger tea and ginger chews. i also find that eating at least a snack every two to three hours is helpful. I've eaten so many afternoon peanut butter granola bars, and so many bowls of popcorn when I get home from work. (The popcorn is just normal life though.). I just ordered several boxes of clif builder bars, since they've got so much protein.

At the height of nausea I only wanted greasy carby type stuff (unfortunate since it coincided with all our garden greens starting to get really productive!) and I had zero patience for cooking or otherwise preparing stuff, but now that I'm a little further along, fruits and vegetables are getting more tolerable again, as is cooking myself a proper dinner. I think I'm lucky though, and I didn't really find myself only wanting bland things- spicy and really flavorful was still good, just not fresh and healthy. :). I did have some food aversions that made no sense (like, we had several packages of tofurkey sausages left over from a barbecue that I had to hide in the freezer, even though I had an insatiable craving for a seitan Reuben sandwich at the same time?).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I ate peanut butter on saltines for my entire first trimester. And sometimes toast with a little jam. That was about it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

This isn't food, but a single benadryl in the morning did WONDERS for me. I tried crackers, preggie pops, nuts (protein), and even an herbal anti-nausea thing with vitamin B6 (suggested by my birth center/midwives) - nothing really worked. Benadryl did, and it's generally quite safe to take while pregnant (check with your doctor but it's a class B pregnancy drug; there are nearly no drugs at all in class A.)

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about potential solutions. I didn't until relatively late in my first trimester, because I figured it was a dumb thing to complain about because it's so common. I wish I had brought it up much earlier, as morning sickness was a real barrier to me making healthier food choices, and we were able to find a solution pretty quickly.

Finally, a combination of B6 and Unisom is a commonly prescribed combination for morning sickness - the drug was actually marketed as a stand-alone product in the US and has recently made a comeback. You can ask your doctor about this if you're interested.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 41856.html

I hope you find a solution soon! And of course - congratulations!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Try the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast/saltines.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cucumbers helped me a little and really spicy Chinese food, especially with tofu. Kimchi (an amazing friend sent me some!) helped a lot with Raygold.

I barely had morning sickness with Vax and the only thing I did differently was exercise and take B6 every day for the first trimester (I had been taking it to extend my luteal phase). My morning sickness was so bad with Raygold, it was almost debilitating. I would spend hours shitting and barfing all the way through my pregnancy with him (I just had it in the first trimester with Beetroot), so it was a real treat to not have it too bad with Vax.

So I guess I'd say try B6 and if that doesn't work, spicy Chinese food or kimchi!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:36 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I ate a lot of fries. Not the healthiest option, but they usually made me feel better.

I tried ginger tea and ginger chews and all that did is give me a taste aversion to the point where goner still makes me a bit queasy.

Water made me feel really sick so I drank a LOT of iced tea.

I hope you feel better soon!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I used B6 and half a tab of Doxylamine (Unisom) during my first trimester and it was so extremely helpful for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:09 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks so much to the person who suggested the Benadryl. I tried that the last two days + 50mg of B6, and puked it up yesterday but felt so much better today. I've actually been able to get work done for the first time in a week. I was hoping to try the Unisom but I called the manufacturer yesterday and they weren't able to give me a clear answer on whether there are any animal derived ingredients. They said because of their many suppliers, they can't say it is. I tried to figure out if it was just cross-contamination issues but the rep really only could read the information she had in her system. I know magnesium stearate is animal derived in some medications. The Benadryl people were able to confirm that on animal ingredients in the tablets, so I tried that first. btw- I totally respect those vegans who draw the line at worrying about vegan ingredients in medications (especially since everything is animal tested anyway) but if I can find a vegan option I vastly prefer that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Rye toast, rich tea biscuits and Pringles. It was sad times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

gee whiz spread from the uncheese cookbook on potatoes or noodles
i lived on that stuff when i was preggo

here's the recipe online: http://www.vegsoc.org.au/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=77

my kid is 4 now and soooo picky but oddly enough he still loves this on noodles. it is the only mac and cheeze he will eat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

flashpacker wrote:
Thanks so much to the person who suggested the Benadryl. I tried that the last two days + 50mg of B6, and puked it up yesterday but felt so much better today. I've actually been able to get work done for the first time in a week. I was hoping to try the Unisom but I called the manufacturer yesterday and they weren't able to give me a clear answer on whether there are any animal derived ingredients. They said because of their many suppliers, they can't say it is. I tried to figure out if it was just cross-contamination issues but the rep really only could read the information she had in her system. I know magnesium stearate is animal derived in some medications. The Benadryl people were able to confirm that on animal ingredients in the tablets, so I tried that first. btw- I totally respect those vegans who draw the line at worrying about vegan ingredients in medications (especially since everything is animal tested anyway) but if I can find a vegan option I vastly prefer that.

Hooray!!! I'm glad you found something that works and that you feel better!