| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealing with MY separation anxiety.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My son is 5.5. Up to now he's been a great, happy, if super-clingy kid. Many times I've wished he didn't want to cling to me so much...but I also enjoyed the absolute love.

Now, he's stopped running to to door to greet me when I get home from work. This morning, he left for school with his dad and didn't even say goodbye, I think probably the first time ever.

I know this is normal and I have to deal with it, but it is hard. I want to make sure we stay connected and he always wants to talk to me, and not end up as as a teenager (like I did) thinking that his mother don't care about him.

What are ways you all deal with this? How do you keep the connection once they start growing up?

Just a bit more info- I think it is really tough for me because we have quite different personalities. He is very active, like always rough housing and hates crafts, while I spent my entire childhood doing crafts (& truthfully still now love coloring). I'm sort of out of ideas on what to do that he likes.

Post subject: Re: Dealing with MY separation anxiety.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've for a long way to go to get to that point with my own kid, but I was just thinking yesterday about how my family always ate dinner together when I was growing up, and everybody would share the best and worst part of their day.

Do you have a bedtime routine together? Do you go on weekend outings? Going on walks or bike rides around your neighborhood?

Post subject: Re: Dealing with MY separation anxiety.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:55 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

We do eat dinner together, probably over half the time like formally sitting around the table. The other nights he has karate practice. I had dinner everyday with my family growing up but it didn't help. I think the difference was my parents were super authoritarian, we didn't really talk. I always felt like any story I told ended up with them saying I did something wrong. I don't want that to happen with my kid!!

We do have a bed time routine but I switch off with my husband every few nights because I always end up falling asleep in his bed after reading & don't get any me time! (When he was little I did it every night bc only mommy would do)

We also swim together, do weekend outings and try to bike- but he isn't very good at it yet so we can't go to far. But we live by bike trails so hopefully the next few years we'll be able to do more.

Those are all good ideas. I hope it is enough! I know I'm probably just worrying unnecessarily but it is just hard, this parental letting go thing! I never even thought I wanted kids but once I had one, wow that unconditional love was nice. I guess like they say it is the toughest job you'll ever love.