| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 390, 391, 392, 393, 394  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

omg congrats! yippee! glad to hear everything is going well other than the morning sickness. hopefully that will abate soon.
there are a couple great threads on here somewhere about what things you absolutely need for a baby and what stuff is all "add on/luxury" if you think that's something you would be interested in reading.

i did not want to find out BP's gender ahead of time we were inadvertantly told and i went kind nuts telling people if they bought me pink frilly stuff i would set it on fire on my lawn. surprisingly for my baby shower people were really respectful of my anti pink stance its more now that my kid is a toddler and she has really specific opinions about clothes that people send me shiitake she would never in a million years wear. my SIL bought her a princess/fairy dress last xmas and said it was "for when she wanted to play dress up" as if i was holding my child back from playing dress up and she was here to save her. my kid likes dinosaurs and snakes, has sensory issues, and HATES getting dressed in regular clothes. thanks a forking bunch.

Babys R Us is literally the worst place in the world for gender neutral stuff and also is the most expensive place to find baby clothes. i looked on amazon and i mainly buy BP's clothes at Target. it's not easy to find totally gender neutral stuff especially as kids age but it's doable.

second hand shops and baby sales would definitely a good place.

as far as people NEEDING to know the gender it's like such a weird compulsion. i find it's pretty rampant in the older generation who did not have the technology to find the gender out when they were having kids. i find it really weird that the generation who was unable to find out the gender of their children early are the ones who have such a hard time not knowing. but maybe it's because it was so much easier to buy gender neutral clothes back then. who knows.

as far as a belly goes everyone is different. i basically never looked pregnant because i had a pretty awful pregnancy. i was also pregnant in the winter so if i wore a winter jacket no one would know i was pregnant because i wasnt very big. other people get ginormous basketball bellies.

if you do end up with a belly by halloween my SIL (not the one mentioned above) was pregnant last halloween and she made her belly into a magic 8 ball. it was pretty cute. she was pretty big by then though as her son was born 12/31 and he was huge.

good luck and congrats! feel free to ask any questions you have. i feel like having kids is one of those things where you have no forking clue what to do about something until after you experience it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LisaPunk wrote:
i feel like having kids is one of those things where you have no forking clue what to do about something until after you experience it.

This pretty much sums up my experience so far.

Also check out if your area has kid consignment sales. My area has two big ones a year (one in fall and one in spring) and I bought a TON of second hand clothes for very little money. A TON.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LisaPunk wrote:
omg congrats! yippee! glad to hear everything is going well other than the morning sickness. hopefully that will abate soon.
there are a couple great threads on here somewhere about what things you absolutely need for a baby and what stuff is all "add on/luxury" if you think that's something you would be interested in reading.

i did not want to find out BP's gender ahead of time we were inadvertantly told and i went kind nuts telling people if they bought me pink frilly stuff i would set it on fire on my lawn. surprisingly for my baby shower people were really respectful of my anti pink stance its more now that my kid is a toddler and she has really specific opinions about clothes that people send me shiitake she would never in a million years wear. my SIL bought her a princess/fairy dress last xmas and said it was "for when she wanted to play dress up" as if i was holding my child back from playing dress up and she was here to save her. my kid likes dinosaurs and snakes, has sensory issues, and HATES getting dressed in regular clothes. thanks a forking bunch.

Babys R Us is literally the worst place in the world for gender neutral stuff and also is the most expensive place to find baby clothes. i looked on amazon and i mainly buy BP's clothes at Target. it's not easy to find totally gender neutral stuff especially as kids age but it's doable.

second hand shops and baby sales would definitely a good place.

as far as people NEEDING to know the gender it's like such a weird compulsion. i find it's pretty rampant in the older generation who did not have the technology to find the gender out when they were having kids. i find it really weird that the generation who was unable to find out the gender of their children early are the ones who have such a hard time not knowing. but maybe it's because it was so much easier to buy gender neutral clothes back then. who knows.

as far as a belly goes everyone is different. i basically never looked pregnant because i had a pretty awful pregnancy. i was also pregnant in the winter so if i wore a winter jacket no one would know i was pregnant because i wasnt very big. other people get ginormous basketball bellies.

if you do end up with a belly by halloween my SIL (not the one mentioned above) was pregnant last halloween and she made her belly into a magic 8 ball. it was pretty cute. she was pretty big by then though as her son was born 12/31 and he was huge.

good luck and congrats! feel free to ask any questions you have. i feel like having kids is one of those things where you have no forking clue what to do about something until after you experience it.

Thank you for all of the advice! I'll browse more threads around here. I usually just look at the kid pics and squeal. Haha. . .

Neither of my moms are that old, really. I guess I was born before ultrasounds unless medically necessary/high risk, but I'm pretty sure my stepmom knew my middle brother's sex (born in 1997) and I'm positive she knew my youngest brother's (born 2009. . . he's going to be a YOUNG uncle). So I say stepmom has no excuse. Except I think she wants me to have a girl so she can buy frilly stuff, and wants a head start. . . Blah.

Aw, man. I doubt I'll be pregnant enough for something ridiculously round and comical like a bowling ball. Those costumes really crack me up, though.

lobsteriffic wrote:
Also check out if your area has kid consignment sales. My area has two big ones a year (one in fall and one in spring) and I bought a TON of second hand clothes for very little money. A TON.

I actually saw a call for sales on Craigslist for one that's in October. I need to find out more about it. Cheap is good. Cheap is NECESSARY.

Holy shiitake medical bills are crazy expensive. My first visit cost $316 and I'm supposedly insured. My mind boggles. It was basically a well-woman checkup, with a transvaginal ultrasound. Well-woman checkups are supposed to be covered in full, right? The fact they handed me a packet on nutrition and allowed medications really has to spike that up to $180-something? And holy shiitake the ultrasound was like. . . $147. Insurance didn't cover it at all (which makes sense - I think they only have to cover the one abdominal one at about 20 weeks? I wish I knew this before my appointment so I could have said "no thanks"), but the "contracted rate" helped a bit. Turns out for uninsured patients, cash pay is $356. For someone to use a dildo on you and not even make you come. ALRIGHTY.

That was a bit of a rant that didn't need to happen but the point is: yes, consignment. I must check that out. Money sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Huh, LP I think it's funny that you found older people who didn't have access to ultrasounds when they were having their babies to be more pestery about finding out. I experienced the opposite- older people who had no choice to find out seemed excited when I said we were waiting to find out, because "it's the most exciting surprise of your life!" But people my age were pretty uniformly like, "Oh I could never do that."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i would call your insurance to find out why you're getting charged if you think a well woman check up should be covered in full.
it could have something to do with a deductible maybe?
id love to tell you teh right answer but health insurance is so freaking confusing.

all my prenatal appts were covered but seems like everyone's insurance is different :-/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Congratulations!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

For what it's worth, all our shoes have been second hand, but high quality. In an emergency, I got a cheap pair from ASDA (they are owned by WalMart and basically are the same thing here but also grocery stores) and they fell apart so fast. When kids are young, they grow out of shoes SO fast, too.

We don't have a car and I don't use a pram/pushchair/stroller, so once my kids can walk, I start making them walk everywhere and the second hand shoes have never been a problem. We walked over 15 miles this week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Congratulations, OSO! What lovely news.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
For what it's worth, all our shoes have been second hand, but high quality. In an emergency, I got a cheap pair from ASDA (they are owned by WalMart and basically are the same thing here but also grocery stores) and they fell apart so fast. When kids are young, they grow out of shoes SO fast, too.

We don't have a car and I don't use a pram/pushchair/stroller, so once my kids can walk, I start making them walk everywhere and the second hand shoes have never been a problem. We walked over 15 miles this week.

That's good to know, thank you! I think I read somewhere to avoid them, but I also see them used alllll the tiiiiime, so I wasn't 100% sure. I do have a couple pairs of soft baby shoes already. They're ridiculously silly and adorable. What kind of newborn needs sneakers? Only the cute kind.

Rosie wrote:
Congratulations, OSO! What lovely news.

Thank you! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hooray! I am very late to the party, but congrats TCC and OSO!! Wonderful news!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Congratulations oddspongeout!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:01 pm 

37 weeks today and according to my fundal height chart, the baby weighs as much as B and R did when they popped! :D

I have been given the green light to give birth at the birthing centre! They are really strict about who they take and basically if you have ANY issues at all, you get cut and have to go to the hospital. I was on amber alert at 37 weeks when I was pregnant with R, but my BP and urine were finally back to normal a week later. Phew!

From now on, I have to see them every week until I pop! I just need to make it until next Thursday after my mystery shops are all over, then I am home-free-all. :D

In the meantime, I have to pack my hospital bag and write up my birth plan. I was going to do that tonight, but the baby was killing me earlier this evening and I had to go lie down due to crippling nausea!! R did that a few times a week during my entire pregnancy (how did I get so chubby whilst pregnant with him when I was vomiting several times a week?), but this is the first time one of my foetuses has tried that trick since. Anyway, eventually, he released my stomach from the choke-hold and I am better. I missed dinner (which I had cooked) and there were no leftovers (there never are when you have a big family of big eaters), so I've just had corn flakes and an apple. I don't know if they are just delicious or if anything would taste good after feeling so gnarly!

My hair is insane. I was caught in the rain today. I was so busy fussing over everybody this morning, I forgot to pack my own cagoule, so Mr. Crabby let me wear his, and I was very grateful, even though it was leaky and smelled like his stinky hiking boots. Anyway, instead of looking like a drowned rat, my hair looked all thick and wavy!! I love what pregnancy does to my hair and skin. I wish I always looked this good. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wow that has gone so fast! I'm glad you are still doing well and can use the birth centre.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Finally a good answer for when people ask the sex of your baby:

We have great news. We're pregnant!

Awesome! Do you know the sex yet?

Of course we know 'the sex.' How do u think we got pregnant, silly?

- @Brampersandon_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 pm 

Ha! That is genius, Tigon. And hilarious.

I used to find out the gender and not tell people, but after having 3 boys, I just tell everyone straight away it's another boy or else they give me these big long speeches about how finally maybe I will get a girl.

I am a big fat hormonal mess of anger this evening and bitched everyone but Vax out. They kind of deserved it, though, for being crappy and rude to me, although I was admittedly over the top in my reaction. The kids got invited to a birthday party with less than 24 hours notice, so I got some (new) stuff from down the hall to re-gift as the kid's present and also added the candy (I have a deep and irrational hatred of candy and think it is disgusting) my mom sent the kids today. After spending ages wrapping everything nicely, Raygold informed me the handknit present I make my kids every birthday is lame. I was so upset, I made him leave the room. Things went downhill from there and I just screamed at everyone during dinner because they were all being so crappy to me. Also, I was hangry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:40 pm 

TCC how are you 37 weeks already?! Great news about the birthing centre!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 am 

I still have to pack my hospital bag and write my birth plan (good thing they reminded me at my appointment). I always include the line, "If I will wuss out and beg for pethidine, just pretend you don't have any." There is this section where they ask what kind of mood lighting you want and I always just say, "I don't give a shiitake and I just want to get the baby out so whatever is easier for you, just do that." And "Don't be afraid to shout at me like a drill sergeant. I just want to get the baby out, so do what it takes."

The last time I was in labour, they were pointing at bits of my maternity notes and giggling.

Mr Crabby finally got the start date for his new job and of course, it was my due date! He's happy to postpone it for 2 weeks because it's less work for him. XD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:03 am 
Total Hoover

Tigon wrote:

- @Brampersandon_

This is the best.
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I still have to pack my hospital bag and write my birth plan (good thing they reminded me at my appointment). I always include the line, "If I will wuss out and beg for pethidine, just pretend you don't have any." There is this section where they ask what kind of mood lighting you want and I always just say, "I don't give a shiitake and I just want to get the baby out so whatever is easier for you, just do that." And "Don't be afraid to shout at me like a drill sergeant. I just want to get the baby out, so do what it takes."

The last time I was in labour, they were pointing at bits of my maternity notes and giggling.

Mr Crabby finally got the start date for his new job and of course, it was my due date! He's happy to postpone it for 2 weeks because it's less work for him. XD

You have wonderful birth plans!
I hope the next baby doesn't wait until two weeks past the due date to appear! (I was told a birth story recently where they had planned for the husband to drive the wife to hospital in their car, when she went into labour. She was almost two weeks late and the husband put the car in for a one-day service while he was at work in the next town over. The wife promptly went in to labour. The husband asked the garage to do a rush job on the car, drove over as soon as it was finished and then had to help his wife walk down the stairs of a fourth-floor flat with no lift, and of course she was in quite advanced labour by that point. She was not impressed with his timing of servicing the car- she said by the time she got to the hospital they could see the baby's head!) And I hope Mr Crabby intends to help out a bit other than just on the day of the birth.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tigon wrote:

- @Brampersandon_

I think I'll have to use this. It's right up my crass humor alley.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:02 pm 

Someone I hadn't seen in ages saw I was pregnant today and dropped the "trying for a girl" line on me. She wasn't trying to be rude at all, she is a really sweet girl, but I feel like so many people pull some version of the "maybe you'll have a girl this time"-line without thinking. And -- OMG -- having more kids than arms is not easy! I feel like you have to really want lots of kids to purposefully go for this many rather than just trying for one child of a particular gender. I mean, sure I would love a girl, but that's not why I spent 18 months trying to get preggo with baby #4, especially when the chance of having a girl is only 50%! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think I felt the baby move last night! It was kind of bubbly, but not gas. It kind of tickled in a way?

I also have been doing this dumb thing that I shouldn't do: comparing my bodies to others. Like, literally. Every week that passes, after looking at my apps for whatever they compare fetal size to (18 weeks = sweet potato, FWIW), I google "__ week baby bump." This is terrible. It makes me feel terrible. I don't know why I do it. (I never look as pregnant as 80% of the results.)

Anywho, when I was doing that, I saw little posters people put next to themselves. . . Chalkboards, sometimes. You know. A few of them said like "daddy felt you kick!!!" and I'm like. Um.

I'm pretty sure I felt the baby move now and it should be a great moment but I keep thinking about how I couldn't feel it on my hand, through the considerable layer of fat, and so I started crying. Moment ruined because of body issues! Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh OSO. I'm sorry it's bringing up bad feelings for you. Sounds like you know what would help you though. If it helps at all, I first felt "fluttering" around 16 weeks, then didn't feel anything at all for a few weeks, then it was quite a while later that either myself or my partner could feel anything externally. Also, the position of your baby, the placenta, and your individual baby's habits could all affect how easy it is to feel movement, either internally or externally. Some people feel hardly anything even internally the whole time. So don't feel bad if it's hard to feel it with your hand even when you reach full term!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

OSO, I'm sorry you're feeling sad. Everyone is different though, it's true! For what it's worth, I didn't feel Little Nettle for a really long time - I had an anterior placenta - and if chub makes it harder to feel on the outside too, well, I'm your girl. When I did finally feel her it was so clear and so surprising it was a little bit like being struck by lightning, if being struck by lightning feels like a tiny kitten paw stretching on the inside. She was also super active, it turned out, I just couldn't feel her until she got bigger, I guess.

I also didn't really look pregnant until I was pretty far along, I just kind of looked fatter until all of a sudden I was Clearly OMG Pregnant. I viewed this as a bonus though as I was a very late announcer and not super interested in the performance of pregnancy, so your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:41 am 

OSO hugs to you.

FWIW I didn't feel the baby move until 17-18 weeks (and it felt bubbly, like you said) and it was a long time after that that my partner was able to feel movement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am 

oddspongeout wrote:
I'm pretty sure I felt the baby move now and it should be a great moment but I keep thinking about how I couldn't feel it on my hand, through the considerable layer of fat, and so I started crying. Moment ruined because of body issues! Yay!

Girl, don't be so hard on yourself! You feel kicking on the inside WEEKS AND WEEKS before you feel it on the outside! Fat has nothing to do with it, I promise! <3 Same thing with looking pregnant versus looking tubby. EVERYBODY goes through that phase, even my teeny tiny friend who weighed under 100 lbs when she got pregnant. It's not you, it's everybody!

Full disclosure: This is my 4th pregnancy and I still went through a phase where I pouted in front of the mirror because I just looked bloatacious and not pregnant. It gets so much better, it really does!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 390, 391, 392, 393, 394  Next