| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 311  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Ducky: that is great! I'm sorry you are itchy.

Pinko: do you know where you are moving yet? I'm sending you calm thoughts! Don't let me freaking out freak you out...

ISYBB: you are right, I need to go with the flow. I realized today that I am having a really hard time letting people do things for me and feeling like I am inconveniencing people. If I could just do better and have this baby on or after my due date, it would just be so much easier for everyone else...of course this is crazy talk. Slap me.

I'm sorry your Braxton-Hicks are uncomfortable. Maybe your uterus knows what it's doing this time around, and you're more tuned into those sensations.

Jenna and Sashi: I loved my prenatal yoga class. Seriously, it was the best thing I've done this entire pregnancy. The day after class I was miraculously free of back pain. It wasn't strenuous at all, just relaxing and stretchy and wonderful.

Aubade: that makes me feel better. I'm afraid I won't be a natural at this.

Tofulish: you are going to make me cry <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mittenmacher wrote:
I just got back from my 38 week appointment and now I am kind of terrified and have some questions. Two weeks ago I was about 50% effaced 0 cm dilated, last week 80% effaced 0cm dilated, this week back to 50% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated. I guess my doctor is just bad at estimating how effaced I am? People who have given birth before, how long were you 1-2 cm dilated before you went into actual labor?

This seems to be happening so fast--I guess I assumed because it is my first pregnancy I would go past my due date. Now I am on pins and needles not knowing how much time I have left. I don't feel ready--our house is in disarray and all kinds of people are going to insist on visiting. I am having pretty much every pre-labor symptom listed in the books, and have been for about 2 weeks. Strangely (or not strangely?) I am not afraid of the birth; I am terrified of being in charge of a baby. I don't feel qualified. I have not spent any time around babies. Really, I can't believe they are going to let me take an infant home and trust me not to accidentally hurt it.

My other question is did any of you test positive for group B strep? I did, and I am a little bummed because it means I have to have a heparin lock and antibiotics every 4 hours while I'm in labor. I'm okay with it if it's necessary, but I was hoping to avoid needles because they creep me out. The doctor said if my water breaks before I start having contractions I have to labor in the hospital so I can have antibiotics--that sounds like a recipe for pitocin to me. Anybody else had to deal with strep B and was it a problem?

If it were up to me (and it's not) I would like another week. I could really use that time to get organized. I am flipping out a little bit. There is no time and this is all so sudden! Ack!

Hugs mitten! I think you will be a wonderful mom. Take care of yourself, you will be great! I am very excited for you. And for what it is worth I had pre labor symptoms for a month with my second, and I was 2 cm dilated for a month with my first before being induced cuz she was way late!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh my god, I just realized that mitten having her baby means I'm next. Eep!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:52 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

JENNA wrote:
mitten....I had absolutely no baby experience before I had Reno. I remember when they plopped her on my belly when she was born the first thought I had was "what the hell did we do and now what do I do?" Once all the birth crazyness died down and I was in my room and she was brought in I just knew exactly what to do and so did my husband who really had no baby experience. It was cool how natural it was to just know what to do for this hour old baby.

yes to this! i never babysat and I hated kids and I was freaked out about babies. but really, you just kind of get it. and if you don't, you'll learn quick :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:52 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

tofulish <3

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:21 pm 

I had a doctor's appointment today and apparently I'm measuring small (I'm 35 weeks), so the doctor ordered an ultrasound. I know everything's probably fine, but I hate how every little hiccup is all "It could be nothing. Or it could be something TERRIBLE. We'll let you know in two weeks." Blergh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

If it makes you feel any better, Mitten, when we first brought Miles home I would catch myself thinking "Gosh, he's really great. Wonder when he's parents are gonna come get him... Oh wait...shiitake!!!" Yup, that's right, for the first few days outside the hospital, just realizing the kid was actually mine kinda blew my mind and took a while to sink in. But have no fear - babies are kinda like video games: they start off on a relatively basic level (although it feels tough at the time) and don't get too much harder until you've mastered that "level". Case in point - the kid won't start rolling and throwing leg kicks a la Ultimate Fighting Champ until you've already gotten really good at changing diapers. You'll be great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Pinko wrote:
I had a doctor's appointment today and apparently I'm measuring small (I'm 35 weeks), so the doctor ordered an ultrasound. I know everything's probably fine, but I hate how every little hiccup is all "It could be nothing. Or it could be something TERRIBLE. We'll let you know in two weeks." Blergh.

I was just talking to a friend over the weekend who went through the same thing around 35 weeks. For about 4 weeks her measurements didn't change at all. They did ultrasounds and everything was fine, baby was growing, it just wasn't showing on the outside when they used their tape measurer. Hopefully that will be what's going on with you too! Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

JENNA wrote:
Pinko wrote:

I was just talking to a friend over the weekend who went through the same thing around 35 weeks. For about 4 weeks her measurements didn't change at all. They did ultrasounds and everything was fine, baby was growing, it just wasn't showing on the outside when they used their tape measurer. Hopefully that will be what's going on with you too! Good luck!

yes, i also know someone who just had a baby who was getting all sorts of last minute ultrasounds because she was measuring small. she just carried tiny. the baby was a totally normal size. it was her second kid even, so she kind of expected it but her doctors still freaked out.

Happy thoughts, Pinko.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:44 am 

Thanks, ladies. I'm pretty confident that it's just the way I'm carrying, but it's hard not to freak out. I know my mom carried really small with her first two. And the baby's still moving like crazy and the heartbeat is really strong, which is comforting. I'm just annoyed that I have to wait two weeks for an ultrasound to put my mind at ease.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 pm 

ugh, my stomach is getting pummeled.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 am 
Chip Strong

We had our big ultrasound on Tuesday! It was pretty awesome. The baby was moving around a bunch and at one point was throwing little swings with its arms when the technician was trying to get hand measurements. It ends up the baby has a couple of choroid plexus cysts (which is a soft marker for downs and trisomy 18) , but between talking to a genetic counselor and one of my midwives it seems like there is a pretty low risk of it being anything since everything else looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:08 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I had my big ultrasound last week too, but it wasn't supposed to be until today. They said my blood work indicated an increased risk for down syndrome. So I was nervous enough with that news when I was taken in to see a counselor who was waaaay to somber for me, like she knew more than she could say or something. So all through the ultrasound, which I had been looking forward to until they called me in early, I was kind of bummed that there could be a problem. Something could mean nothing and yet nothing might still be something. It's so frustrating. Turns out everything is fine but it certainly shook me up.

For a looooong time, my ONLY daydream was of going to a salon by myself. When I finally did manage it, I was like, do whatever you want to my hair, just don't scream at me, vomit on me, or gnaw on my boobs. - coldandsleepy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Pumpkin-Was your blood work from one of the chromosomal tests? or just normal blood work? I know they really push them when you've reached 35 years old. At my prenatal appointment the other day my midwife asked me if I wanted all those tests and I declined them all because it seems like often times they alarm you when nothing is really is wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It was the AFP Tetra screening. My doctor said she would mail the results within two weeks, but a week later I got a scary voicemail from another doctor, not explaining anything and an email for an early ultrasound appointment. I am 30 years old so I think this was the alternative to an amnio? I also declined one as a follow up since the ultrasound went well.

For a looooong time, my ONLY daydream was of going to a salon by myself. When I finally did manage it, I was like, do whatever you want to my hair, just don't scream at me, vomit on me, or gnaw on my boobs. - coldandsleepy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi Playground posters! I just registered on the new boards although I've been reading along for a while.

I'm 24 weeks pregnant; my baby boy is due March 27th! I'm definitely at the stage where I'm hungry all the time and put away an impressive amount of food on the daily.

I too had a renewed appreciation for granny smith apples in the first trimester, especially cold from the fridge. So good!
On the other hand, I used to be an avid lover of broccoli, now I can't stand it so bad I'm afraid I'll never be able to eat it again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hi Swimmer! I'm in the first tri and my appetite is highly suggestible, so now I want an apple!!! Cold, crunchy, juicy...mmmmm yum.

I had an ultrasound today to follow up from some other stuff and the fluid behind my uterus is gone, but there is some old blood in there that might make me spot sometime. And I might have to go on pelvic rest (I didn't get to see the doctor because she was delivering a baby). I'm glad I know about it so if I do spot I won't freak out!
We saw the baby's heartbeat and everything looks good, I'm so happy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm 

I had my "you're-too-small" ultrasound today and all the baby's measurements are right on track, even a little on the bigger side. Plenty of fluid, everything looks just fine. I guess I'm just carrying small. So phew! Oh, and I don't have group B strep. Double phew!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:49 pm 

Yay, Pinko!

I finally broke down and ordered some actual maternity clothes. I suck at buying clothes online, but I am really desperate. Clothes shopping with a toddler at my side is nigh impossible, and I've got maybe 4 outfits I feel good in. I got 2 stretchy dresses and a long, striped top. Fingers crossed they fit!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Congratulations to all of you...I hope that I will be posting here soon enough...keeping my fingers crossed, won't know for another week or so and even then I am hesitant to talk about it because of last time but I am keeping my toughts positive and I am more prepared this time around :)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ditto on the need for maternity clothes. I did some shopping with my mom weeks ago when it seemed almost too early to need them but started wearing them almost immediately anyway since my old t-shirts were too tight. I also bought some large pjs, thinking it a frivolous purchase at the time until I recently tried on my old ones which now seem to have fit some kind of small child. Now I am in desperate need of pants. I am working 60 hours at work because of the holidays and hoping to fight some mall shoppers on my day off this week (I hate shopping). I am at 20 weeks now and while most people say they can't tell the difference, others are starting to ask if I've put on weight or the round-about way "Are you still running?" (aka Did I stop?) Who asks a woman if she's put on weight? Sheesh!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Pumpkin: it could be a round-about way of asking if you are pregnant. Maybe they're hoping you'll say "No, I stopped after the first trimester," or something like that.

For anybody doing this for the first time, my advice regarding clothes is treat yourself to a few pairs of nice button-up-the-front pajamas to wear the week after the birth. I lived in a pair of flannel snowflake pjs and a flannel nightshirt. It made nursing easy and it felt nice to have something special, new, and comfy set aside. Plus your waist will still be big and smooshy for while. I'd also recommend treating yourself to a new pair of nice slippers, especially if you're planning to stay in the hospital.

Glad to hear everything is on track, Pinko!

Fingers crossed for you, Momo!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hi everyone!

I found out about a month ago that I am pregnant! It was definitely not expected and I have been waiting to tell people until after the first trimester, but it is really hard to not talk about with other people that are going through the same thing. I have told close friends and family, but theppk is practically family anyway :)

Anyway, I have PCOS and I was on birth control, although I missed a few days in October. I was teaching a nutrition class to pregnant teenage girls and apparently I caught a baby. I am very excited and a little scared.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Congrats littlebear! How exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

WOW! Congrats littlebear!

I'm 18 weeks and am feeling more and more little kicks and such now. Its fun except he/she is kicking mostly at night when i'm trying to sleep which makes me nervous because Reno NEVER EVER kicked or moved or anything at night and was and still is the best night time sleeper ever. So i'm nervous that this one will confuse night and day and I will be a tired Mama which i've never been.

I'm also getting my amnio tomorrow morning. I'm nervous as all hell and to top it off I scheduled the amnio on my husbands birthday without even thinking about it at the time. I feel bad.
Think good happy healthy safe baby thought's tomorrow for us!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 311  Next