| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7738 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Beautiful belly, littlebird-- I love the extra cuteness of Tzipi peeking in!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:41 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Kelly is straw personing because she is saying that Littlebird shamed women for not engaging in (percieved/real/it doesn't matter) risk, which Littlebird did not do. Kelly is arguing against an argument that was never made.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mapmapmap wrote:
And Kimba, you describing that you are unable to regulate your body temperature well means that you are aware of your own body and make choices for yourself based on that knowledge. That is exactly what Littlebird wrote about herself "i know that i am more sensitive to heat while pregnant (extra blood flow, blood pressure, alla that) HENCE I GET OUT OF THE HEAT (including sunny spots, etc) WHEN I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE." Here's what you wrote "I don't think I'm stupid because I am not as good at regulating my body temperature. I get that people want to vent when confronted with judgment, but it is really easy to turn it the other way around, even if that is not what was meant." Absolutely nobody said you (or anybody) are stupid for not regulating your body temperature, all that was said is that you are capable to taking care of that yourself without other people getting up in your business about their preconcieved ideas of how you regulate your body temperature. Your experience of knowing how your body deals with heat is 100 % compatible with Littlebird's, so I honestly have no idea where you get the idea that she was turning judgement on you.

Here's the thing, I like Littlebird as much as I can possibly like anybody I don't know online. I like reading her posts. I think she's cool. When she wrote what she wrote, my first thought was, gosh, she's calling me stupid (here's where I got that from btw: "i am not a freaking idiot. i will not sit in a hot tub to the point that i feel uncomfortable."). My second thought was, oh, she's just venting, okay, whatever I will let it pass, she probably didn't mean it that way anyway. Then I forgot about it. Then, when Kelley wrote her comment, I thought I would give my perspective to add to the conversation.

I think this must have struck a nerve with you for some reason I don't yet understand, because of the strong tone of your response. Maybe I am misinterpreting tone, but "absolutely nobody said [that]" and "I honestly have no idea where you get the idea..." sound kind of angry to me. Is there something I am missing, a reason that this personally offended you? I'm confused.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cute picture, btw, Littlebird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:11 pm 

I'm not good at writing tone. I'm not angry or offended. I'm very interested in accuracy and I'm also invested in dismantling aspects of society that disempower women. The part you just quoted from Littlebird is a great example: What she wrote is that she is capable of making decisions about regulating heat in her body. There is nowhere in that sentence she said anything about anybody else's body or anybody else's capability to make decisions about their own body. I stand by my sentences that you quoted! Your explanation of how Littlebird's sentence about her own body made you think she was talking about you makes no sense to me: your feelings about that sentence are not what she wrote.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:17 pm 

Oh! Maybe I understand- did you think that sentence means that a person who sits in hot tub longer than is comfortable for them is an idiot, and because you do that sometimes, that means you are an idiot?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mapmapmap- Littlebird's tone & statements were offensive to those of us who do choose to take these precautions. I agree with Kimba that I like littlebird too and she probably didn't mean it that way at all, but I felt the need to respond and mod the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kimba wrote:
Cute picture, btw, Littlebird.

yes, so cute!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:33 pm 

I had what I hope will be my last prenatal appointment earlier this afternoon!! (fingers crossed, I'd sure love to be in labour before next Monday...) It went well. My midwife doesn't think the baby feels unusually large, and there's not much excess fluid, so she spent some time feeling around a little more for a second baby. She didn't find anything, though, so we're left a little stumped. Either there's a Baby 2 who is a super ninja or there's just one baby being carried really far forward. We shall see. She did say that if it were identical twins you wouldn't be able to tell from the heartbeat because the tones would be in sync. Not sure if the same applies to fraternal. With my placenta in front like it is it's been hard to find the heartbeat period. Anyway. Wouldn't that be a trip, if my obsessive paranoia about this actually ends up being my intuition trying to tell me something??

So, anyway. That's my newest news. Blow me some labour dust, ladies!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mapmapmap wrote:
Oh! Maybe I understand- did you think that sentence means that a person who sits in hot tub longer than is comfortable for them is an idiot, and because you do that sometimes, that means you are an idiot?

Yes, basically. It was more of a fleeting thought, I guess. But that's how I saw it the first time I read it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mapmapmap wrote:
I'm not good at writing tone. I'm not angry or offended. I'm very interested in accuracy and I'm also invested in dismantling aspects of society that disempower women.

Ah. Tone is hard on the internet, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ok, so i will apologize for the way my first post came off. i didn't mean to give anyone the idea i thought they were stupid for making different choices than i did during their pregnancy. obviously i like everyone here very much and don't want to offend them, and i realize my first post was a little harshly worded that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

flavabean wrote:
I'm so glad I work in a office full of men now - no drama whatsoever.

Wait, what? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this seems very sexist.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh my gosh, butterbobbin. I think I read your earlier post about worrying about 2 babies being in there, but I didn't think you meant it as an actual possibility. So they think there might be one hiding behind the other? That must be so hard not knowing. Although a super ninja baby sounds kinda cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

kimba wrote:
Oh my gosh, butterbobbin. I think I read your earlier post about worrying about 2 babies being in there, but I didn't think you meant it as an actual possibility. So they think there might be one hiding behind the other? That must be so hard not knowing. Although a super ninja baby sounds kinda cool.

I know, right? The "twin feeling" has been nagging at me for some time, but since I've had no ultrasounds there's really no way to be sure until the birth. I'm never sure if I should trust it as intuition or if it's just my wildly imaginative self being, oh, wildly imaginative. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My doula, who is also a friend, was pregnant a long time ago (before they were doing routine ultrasounds). She was sure she was having twins but her doctors were like, "no you're not having twins." Anyway, she was right and she had twins.

Regarding the ultrasounds, is that a personal preference or some other reason?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Since we're on the topic of fetal alcohol syndrome and paternalistic culture, I read this today and learned a ton about FAS that I didn't previously know, some of which someone mentioned a couple pages back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 am 

kimba wrote:
My doula, who is also a friend, was pregnant a long time ago (before they were doing routine ultrasounds). She was sure she was having twins but her doctors were like, "no you're not having twins." Anyway, she was right and she had twins.

Regarding the ultrasounds, is that a personal preference or some other reason?

Mostly personal preference. I could have gotten a free gender ultrasound at the local pregnancy centre, but since we want to be surprised I didn't do it. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if a problem was suspected, however. Another factor is we have no insurance so any other ultrasound would have ro be paid for out of pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 am 

Good luck bringing on the labor, BB! I think it's so cool you might have a secret ninja baby! Hoping you have exactly the number of babies you want to have. My sweetheart was concerned about us buying a stroller, in case we had surprise twins. I was secure we would have some indication of that before the birth (I'm also having a no ultra-sound pregnancy)- but the internet says surprise twins do happen!

I was 35 weeks yesterday, and these two weeks of traveling for work have been very, very difficult. I can't manage whole days at the conference anymore, too much sitting, too hot... However the city I am in now is a vegan amazing place. At least the neighborhood I'm staying in. Bakeries with vegan cakes, cafes with vegan breakfasts... I'm loving all the very slow, painful walking around I am doing when I am not working! And I am eating a LOT- I think the fetus likes it here. Pack on the weight, little one, I'm ready for you as soon as you are ready to come out! Once I'm back home, of course. Fetus- make sure you arrive ON TIME. I'm renting a bike to get from hostel to conference and it is also a great city for biking, very flat and easy to bike, so I am enjoying that too. I need to pee every 45 minutes, and I feel just SO HEAVY. I can't wear underwire bras anymore- it's fine when I am standing but when I sit the tummy forces the wire into me and it is extremely painful. Even though I won't be pregnant much longer, I htink I need to go buy two bras without underwire to survive the rest of the time. Not confident that undershirts are discreet enough- I feel self conscious about my nipples showing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 am 

I would love to have 3 kids, so theoretically I'm ok with twins, but part of me is also OH NOES TWO BABIES HOW WILL I MANAGE.

I think today might be the birthday. Sure hope so. Like you, I'm super uncomfy and feel like I am a ton of bricks instead of human.

Sounds like you're in an awesome place for food indeed. My town doesn't offer me much, so I am stuck making all my own food.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Butterbobbin, I had a dream last night that you were visiting me and I was putting a plastic sheet on the guest bed in case you went into labor and had a homebirth at my house. So I think today's the day, too!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You look great, ShannonLea and littlebird! ShannonLea, is that shirt from ON? I think I'm wearing the same one, but in a different color in my photo. Sorry to hear you're uncomfortable, but it's awesome that you made it to 37 weeks!

Noelle, it sounds like the follow-up is just a formality, given everything else. I hope everything is okay!

Butterbobbin, I know of a few people who swore they were either having twins or a very active baby capable of moving at lightning speed. Either way, I hope everything goes smoothly!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Good luck BB! Surprise twins totally happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:45 am 

mittenmacher wrote:
Butterbobbin, I had a dream last night that you were visiting me and I was putting a plastic sheet on the guest bed in case you went into labor and had a homebirth at my house. So I think today's the day, too!

Awesome!! If only my contractions would pick back up now. I'm POSITIVE this baby plans to play games until, oh, 5 minutes before it's born. Then it'll be like Oh Hi Here I Am.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:04 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

designedtobekind wrote:
You look great, ShannonLea and littlebird! ShannonLea, is that shirt from ON? I think I'm wearing the same one, but in a different color in my photo. Sorry to hear you're uncomfortable, but it's awesome that you made it to 37 weeks!

Thanks! Yes, it is from ON. I got a lot of maternity t-shirts from them for summer.

I had an ultrasound yesterday and the twins are looking great and estimated at just over 7 pounds each! At this point, I am ready to have them. My doc did a cervical check yesterday and I was almost at 3 cm. She swept the membranes, but so far nothing appears to be happening. I really want to labor to come soon, because if I get to 39 weeks she will want to induce me. And I want to avoid pitocin if at all possible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7738 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 310  Next