| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 312  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I definitely don't advocate withholding information about your body from you! I can't think of any time that would be appropriate, either. What makes me angry is exactly the situation sofrito described, which happens pretty frequently. If your placenta is "close" to the os at 20 weeks, there is a zero percent chance of having a previa at term (if it's not covering the os then, it will not be covering the os later). If it's "close" at 20 weeks, the chance of having a placenta that is low-lying enough to require a c-section at term (and how close is too close for a vaginal birth is debatable) is still very low. So it does not make sense to me to mention previa to someone who has this finding on ultrasound. According to Up To Date, there is also no evidence to support any kind of restriction on activity even with a known previa (except for vaginal exams). I shouldn't have said that there is never a reason to mention the placenta, because certainly the 1% or so who do have an actual previa at 20 weeks should be warned that they need to be followed and may have a previa at term.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

glad to hear everything is going well chiveggie. you are probably about 1-2 weeks ahead of me. i just hit 19 weeks this past week. we dont go in for our anatomical u/s for another couple weeks though as the week they wanted to do it my dr is out so i am waiting an extra week so i can see her.

glad to hear everything is looking good! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mooo, got it. Maybe, "Your placenta is near your cervix, but luckily it's not covering it and we know it can only move up during the rest of the pregnancy, so nothing to worry about in that department!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:23 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Oh my! It's been too long since I've been on here. Congratulations, DTBK! Alice and Emerson are just gorgeous! I'm so glad they are healthy and you were able to carry them for so long. And I'm sorry you had so many issues. I know things will get better little by little. I hope you have a lot of help. I remember the first few weeks being the hardest. It does get easier though!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

seeing this is the updates thread, here's mine: I finally finished work and have been cooking and baking like a madwoman ever since to stock up our freezer, got round to picking up some breastfeeding-friendly clothes so I'll have something to wear after the baby comes, picked my brother up from the airport, and I'm finally ready to say 'bring it on, baby!'

My feet and ankles started to swell this weekend just gone, which would have to be my least favourite pregnancy-related occurrence so far : /
And I found out at my midwife visit last week that the birthing centre where I hope to deliver will only take me up to 41 weeks, so I'm letting this baby know that I'm ready when s/he is and hoping the message gets through.

At 39 weeks:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Stunning! I hope your little one makes an appearance soon!

My update is that I'm 31 weeks tomorrow. While that's no 39 weeks (lucky you!), I am in disbelief that I'll be considered full term in only SIX WEEKS. Say what?! I'm so incredibly excited, and as a first-time mom I'm also having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that we'll soon be parents... to a baby. A human baby!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lookin great oncewewerewesties!!
it's so soon! what exactly happens if you go past 41 weeks????? (hospital???)

good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
what exactly happens if you go past 41 weeks????? (hospital???)

good luck!

oh yeah, should have said - would just have to go to the hospital for the birth and then transfer to the birthing centre for postnatal stay a few hours later. It's not the end of the world, by any means, but I would like to avoid having to go into a hospital if I can, so fingers crossed this baby's no longer a belly-dweller by next Friday...

annamal, those next six weeks will go so quickly, too!
I am also in a state of some disbelief that I will ever stop being pregnant, and that when I do, there will be a real baby coming to live in our house! How crazyawesome is that?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

good luck! i hope you get the birth you want!
besides i think most people when they hit that 40 week mark are READY already!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

oncewerewesties, you look amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oncewerewesties, you've got the loveliest baby belly! You look so wonderful!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

just had my 20 week appt this morning (technically i am 21 weeks today).
they did the anatomical u/s and all that jazz.
baby measures normal and they said everything on the u/s looked good.
baby was flopping around so we couldnt get a great u/s pic but they were able to measure everything they wanted to.
towards the end it decided it wanted to flip around to breech position so it looked like a weird creepy alien/reptile baby :-O

then i met with my Dr. she told me basically all my concerns i was having were totally unwarranted (hmmm that sounds like she was being rude, i mean she said the pains i was having were all normal and i was cool). when i had a head cold FOREVER everytime i coughed i would have pains shooting through my abdomen. that's gone now but when i sleep on my right side usually i wake up at 3-4AM feeling like someone is stabbing me right around where i would think my ovaries are on that side. she said all that is ligament pain and it's totally normal. i cant hurt the baby coughing (i actually was worried about this!).

so i am 80000% relieved. the first 4-5 months (i cant figure out how the months work) were absolute hell and literally just the past 2 weeks i have been able to start eating more so i was SO NERVOUS between not eating right and the pains i was having and not being able to feel the baby that something horrible was wrong.

everything is cool. the placenta is i guess on top of the baby (not sure if that is the correct way to describe it) but basically in between my stomach and the baby so that's why i cant really feel anything yet.

so yup everything is cool :-) feeling so relieved. ive only gained a little weight but she was unconcerned with it. im 21 weeks 0 day and the baby measures 20 weeks 5 days (technology is CRAZY!) so everything is good :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am 
***LIES!!!***

Lisa, that sounds great! Ligament pain can be really painful, I sympathize!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had no idea the normal ligament pain could be so severe! or just from sleeping in a certain position for so long! it really feels like stabbing.
im just glad it's normal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:57 am 

awesome, lisa, it's so reassuring to see them and hear everything's going how it's meant to, isn't it?

thanks so much, mandycoot and bodhi! I definitely don't feel like I look good so it's lovely for my self-esteem to hear that!
I had an acupuncture session on Wednesday [Friday today] and no signs of anything beginning so I'm having another today [as this is the last chance before I'll already be 41 weeks due to the Christmas break] so fingers crossed between generally being ready and whatever 'hurrying-along' effect the acupuncture has, I'll be meeting my little belly-dweller really soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LisaPunk wrote:

everything is cool. the placenta is i guess on top of the baby (not sure if that is the correct way to describe it) but basically in between my stomach and the baby so that's why i cant really feel anything yet.

so yup everything is cool :-) feeling so relieved. ive only gained a little weight but she was unconcerned with it. im 21 weeks 0 day and the baby measures 20 weeks 5 days (technology is CRAZY!) so everything is good :-)

This is an anterior placenta. I had that too. I started to really be able to feel the baby around 24 weeks so that's something to look forward to soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the weird thing is a i think sometimes when im driving i might feel very slight flutters.
im not sure if it's that or my pants and the seatbelt jabbing into my stomach weird.

my husband thinks BabyPunk just likes cars like he does :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I had a posterior placenta, but I still couldn't feel Malka until past the anatomy scan (maybe 22 weeks?). Not something to worry about!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 pm 

Yes, ligament pain can be intense! At one point when I was pregnant I was sure my gallbladder or liver was about to explode, but it turned out to just be "normal" stretching. Baby movement is the best ever! You'll start feeling it soon. That can get pretty intense, too, when you have feet wedged into your side and under your ribs. But really, it's pretty awesome.

Good luck, oncewerewesties! I agree, you look great!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Love the bump!!! You look so great and I hope baby makes an appearance within the appropriate time frame! Until then... enjoy every little kick, bump and hiccup.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:39 pm 

40+5 today. I've only got three days left to have this baby out of hospital, and I feel like I'm being 'punished' for being one of those people who pin too much on having a particular type of birth when I should just be happy to be having a baby at all. My brain also finds it a little hard to believe I will ever stop being pregnant, or that I will actually have a baby once I do. I've spent a full 12 of the last 15 months pregnant now, and it just feels like my new normal state [which I have enjoyed, but I'd quite like to meet this baby some day too!]
Also feeling particularly exhausted after a very long Christmas day yesterday, so maybe making plans for some relaxation today will help...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

oww, I don't think one can help but wish for their child's birth to go a certain way. Do you have a sort of "backup" birth plan for the hospital? And..if you end up there, it will be okay. Even if everything goes tits-up, as long you and baby are okay in the end, then that's what matters. (took me like a year to figure that one out after F's birth)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Do you get to birth with your midwives if you have to go to the hospital?
Have they suggested anything to get things moving along? Membrane sweep maybe? Walks, sex, evening primrose oil, nipple stim?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:46 pm 

Birth plan is the same in hospital and out, as in hopefully an unmedicated birth either way, but I believe there will need to be monitoring if I go past 41 weeks, which may restrict my freedom of movement etc. Also, I just feel like I will be less likely to be able to get into/stay in the calm and relaxed state I want to achieve if I'm in a hospital environment. I'm not sick so don't feel like I should be in a hospital! But yes, definitely the most important thing is to have whatever kind of birth necessary to end up with a healthy baby.
The birth will still only be attended by my midwife [and my husband] wherever we are, so long as I don't require any interventions. She said she wouldn't do a stretch and sweep till early next week [probably 41+3]. I've had two acupuncture sessions and have another booked for Friday morning [my last day to get into the birthing centre], clary sage oil, a million cups of raspberry leaf tea, and have been doing decent walks every day. It'll be when it'll be and I'm only a few days 'over' so I know I really don't have anything to worry about, it's just getting harder to stay relaxed about it all...

Nice to have somewhere to express these thoughts and not feel too silly, thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:58 pm 

You can still have a wonderful birth in the hospital if it comes to that, oncewerewesties! I think doing whatever you can to make it feel more like home really helps. Wear your own clothes, play some mellow music (or whatever you feel like), and bring some comforting things that remind you of home, maybe a special pillow or blanket or picture to look at. Keep the door to your room closed and request that the staff keep coming and going to a minimum. I hope you have a wonderful birth!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 312  Next