| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

littlebear wrote:
So, yeah, pregnancy, what the hell!

ill let this be my new motto. ppk is wise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I haven't posted an update in a while so here it goes. I'm 34 weeks today. I had the first of my weekly non stress tests on Tuesday. The doctor was surprised at the amount I was contracting so they did a test (can't remember the name) that is supposed to give you some percentage chance of going into labor in the next two weeks. It came back negative so that's a 99% chance of not going into labor in the next two weeks. I'm trying to rest but there is still so much to do! Washing all the baby clothes and bedding, cooking and cleaning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

ooh Biodancer, not long to go now! That's pretty awesome that your doctors can tell whether you're likely to go into labour early or not. Good luck with that last minute stuff, but do take some time to rest as well!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oncewerewesties wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Summary: pregnancy! What the hell!

It's crazy the ways different bodies change with pregnancy.

For shizzle! Normally when I put on weight, it goes straight to my stomach,* but when I'm pregnant, it goes straight to my butt and thighs. I actually don't mind (except for the whole post-partum trousers not fitting for the first few weeks) because it makes me look curvy instead of my usual sausagey (I would say boyish, but I am too old to look boyish, I think and I certainly don't look mannish, thank goodness). Also, I know I've said this before, but I swear, breastfeeding makes a couple extra (okay, more than a couple) pounds stick to me. Everyone else has babies that just suck the fat off them, but not me! (The carnal hunger of breastfeeding doesn't help, either.) ;D

(My flank-area seems just as prone to gettin' the chub whilst pregnant, mind you. At least my whole world hasn't turned upside-down.) ;p

* Yes, I know I have a big preggo belly, but it is so trim! All the fat migrated to my asparagus!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i'm fatter now than i was a week postpartum.

seriously, pregnancy, what the hell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Someone please tell me this is normal. (im guessing it is but man it just sucks to be this exhausted). I just entered my 3rd trimester. I wake up several times a night which I know is totally normal. If the dogs aren’t making weird noises usually I roll over and go back to sleep. Between 4 & 5 am I wake up and CANNOT fall back to sleep for a good 30-45 mins (feels like hours!). that’s my typical night. I do have some pain issues sleeping because one of my hips turns out weird. It’s been like this forever and pre-pregnancy I would go to the chiro every few months and be just fine. now that im pregnant it pretty much wont stay in place and I have to go to the chiro weekly. Sometimes I get tired of dragging my asparagus there and I put it off for another week or so but then end up being in pain when I try and sleep. Not sure if this is making my “issue” worse. The issue is that IM EXHAUSTED! Holy cow I am so tired.
Yesterday I stayed home “sick” from work and I slept til 11:30. Then I was kinda mad at myself thinking I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep last night but I was fine. now im sitting at my desk with all this extra sleep under my belt and im barely awake. I had to go get some coffee which Ive been trying to avoid just to stay awake. This is normal exhaustion right?

The reason im so paranoid is because I used to suffer very badly from severe sleep apnea for a very long time and went through hell to correct it. my husband said he was listening to me sleep and although ive been snoring (again I think that’s totally normal for pregnant women?) I haven’t stopped breathing and choking which is the hallmark of sleep apnea.

this is normal exhaustion right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know about the sleep apnea, but I'm in the second trimester and I still get really tired and have trouble sleeping and toss and turn and get woken up/kept awake by achy hips.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was SO exhausted during the second trimester. I kept reading/hearing about women who described that period as the honeymoon trimester, and was like YEAH RIGHT. Not for me!

I also have been waking up in the middle of the night, usually around 5, since the second trimester. Usually it's because my blood sugar is low and all I have to do is eat something (or drink something hearty, like chocolate soymilk), then in not too long I can fall back asleep.

I'm 38 weeks today! I have a midwife appointment this afternoon and I'm thinking about getting her to check my cervix. I know that's supposed to mean nothing but I'll conveniently forget that if there's been any change.

Waiting is hard. (Nerve-wracking, exciting, trippy, scary.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annamal wrote:
I'm 38 weeks today! I have a midwife appointment this afternoon and I'm thinking about getting her to check my cervix. I know that's supposed to mean nothing but I'll conveniently forget that if there's been any change.

Waiting is hard. (Nerve-wracking, exciting, trippy, scary.)

oooh you're so close! you are like officially full term now! so exciting!
good luck! <3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Woo...annamal, getting close!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yay, I'm 2 cm dilated, 60% effaced, and the baby is at -1 station! So I guess I WILL be having a baby.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:29 pm 
Semen Strong

So exciting! Yay baby!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

So exciting, annamal! It took me many hours of painful labor to get to 1 cm, so you should be very proud of yourself. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mooo wrote:
So exciting, annamal! It took me many hours of painful labor to get to 1 cm, so you should be very proud of yourself. :)

yes, I was 30+ hours into things before I was 2cm so maybe you're in for an easy [easier?] run of things!
Super exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay! I finally found a prenatal exercise DVD that almost had me begging for mercy -- the floor work section of Suzanne Bowen's Lean & Toned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Had an appt today. Everything is good. Weight is fine. baby measures perfect. Dr suspects I might be anemic based on the fact that I was borderline at the beginning of my pregnancy and I stopped taking my iron pill because it was making me super constipated, and I reported to her that im exhausted. Also I didn’t say this but it made me think of it my normal diet has been completely out of wack so I haven’t been eating as much hummus (she said beans have iron) or leafy greens. So one of the many vials of blood they took today will test for anemia. She obviously forgot I am vegan (which is fine I don’t care it’s not her job to remember) and told me to eat meat and eggs and “any meat is fine even turkey has iron” HAHAHAHAH she also said beans, lentils, and dark green veggies.
I had my glucose test today. Man that was nasty. The taste was ok for a sip, tasted like melted orange icey pops but THE WHOLE BOTTLE?!?!? Im still surprised I didn’t puke it bad up.
Then I got stabbed THREE times with THREE different needles. FUN FOR ALL! I got my Rh shot in the butt :-( that’s the 2nd one ive got and I guess I get ANOTHER ONE after delivery. YAY!!! Needles all around!
We talked with the Doc a bit about some concerns and I just love her to pieces and am so happy with our choice of the hospital we are going to and the Dr we ended up with. She is SO LAIDBACK. Only problem? she’s having a baby in 6 weeks and will be out from mid-March to June. Im due 5/2. BOOOOOO!!!!!! :-( :-( :-(
In our hypnobirth class the topic of eating and drinking during labor came up and the instructor went on a tear. (FYI she’s also an RN and works at the hospital) and there are 5 couples in the class, all giving birth at the hospital. 4 of us have OBs and one couple has a family practice Dr (whatever that means?). the instructor went on this whole thing about how the family practice Dr would allow that girl to eat/drink during labor and how wonderful family practice drs were and how all of us with OBs better be ready to go on hungry/thirst strike because we would never see food again until after we delivered. I got all panicky cause I knew some places wouldn’t let you eat/drink but both the hospital and my dr seemed so progressive and pro-mom. I raised my hand and asked if it was a hospital policy and she said it was not the hospital it was OBs. So I asked my dr today and she was like “OF COURSE you can eat and drink during labor. You might not WANT TO but you can” I was mainly worried about hydrating. I told her I don’t want an IV jammed into me the second I walked in the door and she said there was no need for that unless of course something comes up where I need one. I was like I LOVE YOU!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congrats annamal. I too was going to say that after hours of 2 min apart contractions, I still wasn't that far! Hopefully this is a really good sign that things will go quickly and smoothly for you. :)

LP...good luck on the iron test. Good to hear about the eating/drinking too. I've never heard of that before. I would've died if I couldnt've had something to drink!

CC...glad you can work up a sweat now. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

No food/drink is routine in labor in the US - the official reasoning is that IF you need a C-section, and IF that C-section is such an emergency that they have to give you general anesthesia (or you have another reason you can't have epidural/spinal), there's a small chance of aspiration of stomach contents which could lead to serious infection (of course that could happen whether you have food in your stomach or not). That's why laboring women on TV here are constantly chewing on ice chips. Basically they treat all laboring women as if they're prepping them for surgery. That also half-way explains the routine use of an IV - no drinking means you need fluids another way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

We gave birth at the same hospital you did Ariann, and there was no limitation on me about not eating or drinking. I didn't want to because my labor was short, but I was assured that I could if I wanted to. Maybe it depends on your midwife/OB

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Midwives are not routine :) It had nothing to do with the hospital - all of this b.s. is provider-based (and I can let you know, though, that it's tough to actually get food from the hospital nutrition services there during labor, they're not set up to provide food to L&D, I assume because it's not often requested/"allowed"). The restriction itself is still routine in the US as a whole, although I'm sure less common if you're seeing a midwife or an evidence-based OB.

We also had no restrictions on food/drink UNTIL they started the pitocin and then it switched to clear liquids only (my midwife had promised no restrictions period outside of planned C-section - because she is a liar liar pants on fire). Although arguably I wasn't "in labor" before then. After much begging and a lot of wait time, I was able to get veggie broth from the kitchen.

ETA: And I was in the hospital a full day before the Pitocin started, with no reason to restrict my diet since nothing much was going on - never offered the possibility of a meal from their kitchen. And of course we weren't really set up to provide meals for ourselves from the snacks and juices we'd packed planning for a short stay in L&D. My mother brought us take-out Chinese, that was a relief.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Apparently ACOG recommends freedom to drink and a restriction of solids as of 2010:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/healt ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Every time I hear about your labor, I feel so sorry that you were so poorly supported in Malka's birth. I cannot even imagine how upsetting that must have been.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah exactly what Ariann said, they dont want anything in your stomach on the chance you will need surgical intervention but as my (obviously very opinionated) hypno instructor said if you get in a car accident and rupture your spleen right after you had dinner the ER doesnt turn you away. IT CAN BE DONE. its more important that THEY KNOW you have food/liquid in your stomach.

i was mainly worried about drinking. i drink a lot of water and everything i read said to stay well hydrated. i told my husband last night if they werent going to allow me to drink during labor i was gonna yank out my own IV and drink out of the damn faucet.
i have like a problem with IVs after having surgery twice. i go crazy staring at it sticking into my arm. both surgeries i had by the end of my stay i was like "PLEASE TAKE THIS THING OUT I WILL DRINK AS MUCH AS YOU ASK ME TOOOOOO!!!

it's also good to know i can eat if i get hungry. little worried about that since i dont want to get sick but maybe some granola bars or toast or something.

Europe is so much more laid back about this whole birth thing but unfortunately i think alot of it has to do with the US being a very litigious (ugh spelling?) society. the hospitals need to cover their own asparagi.
one of the blood tests i had done today the phlebotomist said it was a legal thing. i have negative blood type and this was some sort of screen for that to show that i have negative blood type and LEGALLY have a right to the Rh shot. so stupid.

and CONGRATS ANAMAL!!!! i missed your post when i came earlier!

woo-hoo! baby soon! sending positive vibes your way!! xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

FWIW, my OB assured me that she had no problem with me eating and drinking during labor, but in practice, since your OB doesn't (usually) show up until you're ready to push, it was the nurses' call (maybe they are following hospital rules? I don't know). I was allowed to drink as much as I wanted, but I was not allowed to eat. My husband snuck in some food for me anyway, and I ate half a bagel and a mini luna bar when I got hungry. I was only hungry pretty early on in labor, and I'm actually glad I didn't eat more because once things got intense, I did a lot of puking, so I'm glad I didn't have too much in my stomach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah she warned me about the puking. she just said not to eat anything heavy because a lot of women vomit alot and i may not WANT a lot in my stomach!
i turn into a raging bisque when i have low blood sugar so im thinking a little snack here and there might keep me from murdering people (low blood sugar + labor = fun for all!)

ill definitely be at the mercy of the nurses, the residents, and the attending OBs as my OB will be on maternity leave but we're hoping to get her blessing on our birth plan so we can be like BUT MY DR SAID IT WAS OK! ;-)

all i could think about when she said not to eat anything heavy was a movie we watched in childbirth class of hypnobirths. there must be an actual hypnobirth institute in NH where Marie the founder is from because she was filming hte births and she showed what someone was eating and was like "i wanted to prove that we allow people here to eat during labor" NO LIE IT LOOKED LIKE THANKSGIVING DINNER. there was either turkey or chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, some sort of veg and for dessert: CHEESECAKE!!! WHO THE fork WANTS CHEESECAKE IN THEIR STOMACH DURING LABOR!?!?!?!?!

i almost puked just watching it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 310  Next