| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

coldandsleepy wrote:

Are you still at work LP? Can't be much longer on that front right?

I am. today is my last official day all by myself. technically I will be in tomorrow but they are doing some stupid brunch for me and then I have to leave early for my OB apt so im not really counting tomorrow.

my last scheduled day is 4/26 and this next Monday my replacement starts so I have to train her for the next two weeks.

im praying I go into labor this weekend.
I know it wont happen but a girl can dream!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I like how nobody is saying anything about the 3 days of sleep!

I don't think I started getting proper sleep until my baby was nine or ten months old. Even now, I don't sleep like I did pre-baby. That's not going to happen. Maybe when she goes to college? I will probably not be able to sleep for worry at that point. Sorry!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I think it's so unrealistic everyone knows im just crazy to even wish it!!! ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 am 
Semen Strong

I slept for pretty much most of the last month of my pregnancy. I wasn't working, so I'd just stretch out in bed, alone and sleep. It was heaven.

I loved having professional pregnancy photos - its wonderful to have a reminder of that time and of just how big I was.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 am 
Married to the wolfman

Actually, I was going to say that after M was born, I really did sleep for most of the next few days. But I don't think it's possible with your first baby because you're in such a state of "oh shiitake, another human just came out of my body! Look at that thing!" And also because you don't know how to sleep-nurse yet.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am 
Semen Strong

Ha! Yes, the best thing I learned too late was that the first day after your baby is born, s/he sleeps through the night, so you should sleep and not hover over her making sure she doesn't stop breathing, like a crazy person.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, actually, sleeping wasn't bad the first few days (well, not for me, T was in the hospital and so i was pumping round the clock and also stressed as hell). but then she was out and actually the first couple weeks after were pretty good for sleeping, since she slept a lot. but for L, the first few days were pretty good for sleeping... she also slept a lot the first two days and we had some family around to help. the no sleep thiing doesn't really get wearing until maybe 3-4 months? that's when the hormones start dying down and the reality of the last few weeks of broken sleep really hit you.

with both kids, i slept great for a couple weeks, not so great for a few weeks (but didn't mind), pretty ok for a couple weeks, and then BAM, 4 month sleep regression, and all hell breaks loose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:25 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I think the first night hover reflex might just be inevitable.
I know I don't have to do it but I know I probably will.

do they still want you to nurse every couple hours the very first night? I know that newborns are super sleepy and have miniscule stomachs but none of the books really address the first like 2 days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

nope. as long as you do plenty of skin-to-skin and baby is healthy and robust, the first two days are kind of a pass.... let baby sleep, basically.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The first few days I got a lot of sleep too because baby slept most of the time. And althought I know most kids are not like this - my baby actually has been sleeping through the night or only waking 1-2x per night for nursing pretty much since at least 3 months. So having a baby doesn't necessarily mean you will never sleep again. (please everyone don't hate me!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

littlebird wrote:
nope. as long as you do plenty of skin-to-skin and baby is healthy and robust, the first two days are kind of a pass.... let baby sleep, basically.

cool thanks!
I figured they would tell us in the hospital but I like knowing ahead of time what is expected of me! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ugh in theory I should've gotten plenty of sleep in the few days after Sierra was born, 'cause she was a sleepy newborn and I was medicated to the max for the c-section. But noooo, because I was in the hospital and they woke me up constantly. When I found out I couldn't go home after 36hours because of the jaundice, I had a crying breakdown in front of the head nurse "but but I'm so tiiiiired" and she looked kinda guilty and said she'd try to have the nurse come and check vitals less in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I remember that after I had surgery. they want to take your blood pressure like every 4 seconds and all you want to do is sleep off the surgery hangover and anesthesia. :-/

for me they kept wanting to poke at my face cause I had jaw surgery. for a C-section they probably wanna keep poking at the wound :-/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

There will be people doing a little bit of poking at your crotch while you're in the hospital (checking for bleeding, checking on any stitches you might get, checking for hemorrhoids). But I didn't have anyone come in in the middle of the night to bug me. I did call the nurse in the middle of the night when Malka wanted to nurse so I could get some help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We had the "stop bugging me so I can f-ing sleep" staff too. Part of the trouble was that baby and I had different teams of medical professionals, so it seemed that someone was *always* coming in. Plus, a couple of the midwives were troubled that I let baby sleep in the bed with me (with the safety bar thing up). Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I was surprisingly uninterested in sleep once westiebaby finally came out, I'd not slept in three nights due to being in labour, then she was born just after midnight and we transferred to the birthing centre a few hours later and the midwives were annoyingly fussy about the fact that her temperature was on the low side of normal [still normal, people!] so put her on top of me and covered us both with about six blankets [in the middle of summer] and didn't come back to check for several hours so I spent that whole night awake and sweaty, she slept much of the day but I didn't and I don't think she went to sleep that night till like 4am so I had been about five days without sleep by that point but I didn't care! You'd be surprised what your body will put up with!
We didn't have any late-night midwife interference after that though, other than the new shift staff coming to introduce themselves and put their mobile number into our phone.

So exciting that you're close enough to be thinking about all this, Lisapunk!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh I feel like there was a four or five day stretch where I slept maybe two hours? I didn't sleep the night before I went into labor. Then we had all of these visitors the first day in the hospital when Ada actually slept. I didn't sleep at all that night in the hospital between nurses coming in and Ada crying all night because I couldn't get her to latch. Then the first couple of nights home I didn't sleep for some reason or another. Oh man, I have no idea how I was functioning but I did it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

refinnej wrote:
We had the "stop bugging me so I can f-ing sleep" staff too. Part of the trouble was that baby and I had different teams of medical professionals, so it seemed that someone was *always* coming in. Plus, a couple of the midwives were troubled that I let baby sleep in the bed with me (with the safety bar thing up). Sigh.

oh god yes...if it wasn't my vitals or wound they were checking it was wanting to give the baby some test or other. The hospital I had Dahlia at wouldn't let me turn the lights off overnight since she was rooming in with me, that was super, and warned me that if they caught me asleep with the baby on me, they'd want to take her to the nursery. So so glad I had Sierra at a different hospital...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow, Audrey. Some stupid nurse said something warning us against sleeping with Malka in the hospital, but nobody actually gave us grief when we actually did (my husband actually slept with her on the tiny little partner's bench in the room the first night, because he is crazy brave).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:16 pm 
And you never will.

I guess my baby was abnormal, because he didn't just sleep the first couple of days. Or weeks. In fact, he just wanted to cry and nurse non-stop while we were in the hospital, and the nurses refused to let me lie in bed with him, so I sat up in a hard wooden rocking chair for two straight days after giving birth, so he could stay latched 24/7. I didn't get any rest until I figured out nursing while lying down. I spent nearly every minute of the first two weeks sitting in the glider with him because he never slept, and I was miserable. My husband didn't want me to lie down with him at all because the nurses had scared him, but he wasn't the one who was sleep deprived and sitting on 3rd degree stitches. So, you know, don't let anyone make you afraid of sleep-nursing. Just figure it out as early as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

LisaPunk wrote:

do they still want you to nurse every couple hours the very first night? I know that newborns are super sleepy and have miniscule stomachs but none of the books really address the first like 2 days.

Maybe the hospital I delivered in is unusual, but I was instructed to nurse every 2-3 hours from the very first first night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

helbury wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Maybe the hospital I delivered in is unusual, but I was instructed to nurse every 2-3 hours from the very first first night.

Same here. I definitely think it depends on where you deliver.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Both of my dudes nursed a ton the first night. E more so than M (his first couple of days sounds very similar to poopiebaby's; M has just always been chill as fork).

With M, since he had a traumatic birth (he was born not breathing, couldn't be resuscitated right away, was super dehydrated, they thought he swallowed meconium, etc), a nurse was in checking his vitals like a billion times day and night. Which I woke up for the entire 5 minutes of and then went back to sleep directly after, like a billion times. Sometime after E was born, I developed this super power where I can go back to sleep after being woken up almost instantly.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Pinko wrote:
helbury wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Same here. I definitely think it depends on where you deliver.

Our pediatrician actually recommends nursing every 2 hrs until the baby gets back to their birth weight. So that's what we did. We did have to wake her and it was super hard sometimes because she was so sleepy. But once we stopped waking her she started sleeping pretty long stretches at night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:48 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so interesting. I was told to nap, but I felt like a superhero after birthing so derpyderpderp I didn't sleep and that was a not good choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 310  Next