| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 311  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Welcome baby Alex and congrats momma!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congrats chiveggie and Alex! Glad you are both well and had a good experience! Can't wait for pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 am 

Hooray for Alex!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

Yay! Congrats chiveggie!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Congratulations! So glad everything went smoothly for you guys!

LisaPunk, you're next right? I'm thinking good thoughts for you to have a nice, easy birth! Enjoy your last few weeks of child-free time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yay, congratulations! Sounds like a beautiful birth!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Congratulations chiveggie!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

yes!! welcome Alex and chiveggie I'm so happy for you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

bodhi wrote:

LisaPunk, you're next right? I'm thinking good thoughts for you to have a nice, easy birth! Enjoy your last few weeks of child-free time!

yup it's me next unless someone else chimes in!
thank you for the good vibes! :-)

I had another u/s this morning (they sure do love to u/s me)
apparently they have been doing the BPP thing on me everytime they do an u/s so I think ive had 3 BPPs.
seems a tad excessive for someone who doesn't have the normal big risks like smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure, toxemia, etc.

BabyPunk got a score of 8/8 so ummm yay? (I don't know what it means but am thrilled it was a good thing)

they said she weighs 5 lbs 10 oz (if you trust 3rd trimester u/s weights that is) so im not sure what the big deal is. yes that is small but you can have a 5 lbs baby and I still have 2 weeks to go.

it's all a bit silly.

I saw a different Dr today and she said the baby is on the small side but "not dangerously so" and got 8/8 on the BPP thing and is healthy and moving and breathing and fine......but we will do another u/s next week *rolls eyes*

I guess im just about 1 cm dilated and my cervix is starting to thin so yeah things are progressing.

also her head is way way down so yay for a non-breech bebe!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay, Chiveggie! And thanks for posting a wee birth story -- I LOVE reading birth stories!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

BabyPunk is nearly the same weight now that I was at birth (5lb 13oz) and I was totally normal and healthy. 8/8 is obviously as good as it gets. Why are they putting you through this?

You know you can always say no to the u/s if you're getting bored of it or it doesn't seem to be serving any purpose. You can also say no to the cervical checks (which increase infection risk and don't tell you anything about when labor might start).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Congratulations chiveggie and welcome to the outside world, little Alex! Sounds like a great birth experience, hope you're enjoying all the newborn snuggles and loving getting to know your little guy!

Sounds like all is well with babypunk, really not long now till you'll have her in your arms and all this monitoring will be forgotten. But as Ariann says, you should definitely be able to pass on further screening when everything has been fine. Especially as you're not even due yet, I don't know why they would be doing cervical checks at this point anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay, chiveggie! Welcome Alex! I love the name Alex-- nice choice. Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh man, those ultrasound size estimates can be so off. They thought H was only going to be 5 and a half pounds or so according to the ultrasound, and he was 7 lb 14 oz. So yeah, don't worry about that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Welcome Alex, and congrats Chiveggie! If you need any bf (or any other kind really ) support, one of my best friends is a LLL leader in Chicago and is one of the most helpful people on the planet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

they've been asking me if i wanted to them to check my cervix since like week 36. today was the first time i agreed to it just out of pure curiousity.
why they are asking so early i have no idea.
the place i go is a relatively large practice and it has 3 separate offices and several doctors and they deliver at one of the biggest hospitals in the area so im guessing they have a very large client base.
this is just a guess but im thinking im in the minority of people since im just like "meh whatever, the baby will come when it's ready" im guessing a lot of people want to know each week where they are and what's going on and when the baby is gonna come and have scheduled inductions, etc.
nothing wrong with any of that im just on the opposite end.

today i was just curious so i said ok.

the u/s's dont bother me i just think it's silly. i do like having this weekly check in that most people dont get.
it's not stressing me out anymore (it definitely was previously!) especially now that she's 5 lbs. i have 2 weeks left! i could have her now and 5 lbs would be fine!

they said my weight gain was perfect. i didnt mention i think it was all from cake :-P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Congratulations Chiveggie! Can't wait to see some pictures of little Alex!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
they've been asking me if i wanted to them to check my cervix since like week 36. today was the first time i agreed to it just out of pure curiousity.
why they are asking so early i have no idea.
it's not stressing me out anymore (it definitely was previously!) especially now that she's 5 lbs. i have 2 weeks left! i could have her now and 5 lbs would be fine!
they said my weight gain was perfect. i didnt mention i think it was all from cake :-P

For Beety, I got a cervical check at 39 weeks and some change and accepted the offer of a cervical sweep and the doctor had me book an induction, but after the cervical check, she was all, "you won't need an induction, you'll probably give birth within a week." And she was right!
My birthing centre is really strict about everything and in order to get the green light, since Beety had been so small (6lbs 13 oz), I had a scan at 37 or 38 weeks to make sure Raygold was going to be big enough (I think it's maybe 3kg minimum or something).
Is it normal to get weighed regularly when you're pregnant? I've only ever been weighed at my booking-in checks here and then nobody ever mentions it again (except my MIL).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

[
Is it normal to get weighed regularly when you're pregnant? I've only ever been weighed at my booking-in checks here and then nobody ever mentions it again (except my MIL).[/quote]

Same here! Nor did I ever have any cervical checks--made it all the way through to labor and delivery without taking my underwear off! (In a medical setting).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Nor did I ever have any cervical checks--made it all the way through to labor and delivery without taking my underwear off! (In a medical setting).

Yeah, I haven't had any cervical checks other than baby #1, which was at a different place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 am 
Saggy Butt

We met with our homebirth midwife for the first time yesterday! Well, we actually already knew her, but we met with her in an official capacity. It was so great and reassuring for both my husband and me and I know she's a great choice. Our first "real" appointment will be in three weeks (so I'll be 13 weeks then and we can hear the heartbeat and everything!). It actually feels like it's becoming more real now. Up until now I've been sort of forgetting that I'm pregnant.

I think in the US it's normal to get weighed all the time (at least in hospitals or birth centers). At the birth center I used with Sven they gave us a chart to plot our weight gain it was the first thing were were supposed to do when we came in. It might be different more strict with freestanding birth centers though since in TX they can only take low-risk patients so they need to make sure everything stays under control.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i always did my own weight and pee sticks during visits, then the midwife would ask and note it in the chart. they do make a point of telling you that if you prefer, they can not note it, or you can opt out of weighing yourself altogether. it's not really going to tell you anything that other signs wouldn't, but it's worth keeping an eye on i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am 
***LIES!!!***

I was supposed to weigh-in at every appointment and near the end I just started refusing. The midwife did it herself (wasn't given an option to do it myself, although I guess I could've asked). I found it really demoralizing and experienced a lot of fatshaming in the process, which is so not what should be happening when you are gaining weight during pregnancy! I might just say I'd prefer not to next time. I generally decline weight checks in other doctoring contexts. This past winter I had to go to urgent care several times and every time they wanted to weigh me (which I declined). I gave them a lecture every single time about how you don't put people through weight checks when they are coming in for an acute medical issue because it is totally irrelevant to their care (if it becomes relevant for medicine dosing, check then!) and is an opportunity for them to feel self-conscious and uncomfortable when they are supposed to be feeling reassured and cared for during their visit to see a doctor they didn't even know. I was there because I had bronchitis! /forking doctors rant

My understanding is that the actually important reasons to weigh during are: 1) to see if you are gaining too little and might be having some sort of other problem and 2) to detect signs of pre-eclampsia, which can include sudden large weight gain (although doesn't mean anything without other signs).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

littlebird wrote:
i always did my own weight and pee sticks during visits, then the midwife would ask and note it in the chart. they do make a point of telling you that if you prefer, they can not note it, or you can opt out of weighing yourself altogether. it's not really going to tell you anything that other signs wouldn't, but it's worth keeping an eye on i guess.

My midwives did the same thing. It felt pretty empowering - look, I can read my own pee stick! And the fact that there wasn't someone hovering over my shoulder every time I stepped on the scale was a huge relief.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am 

I was weighed at every prenatal appointment with Inez, but I don't look at the scale and they never mentioned my number to me. They just said if I was gaining appropriately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 311  Next