| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mandycoot, you look fantastic! And your bonus toddler is adorable. Kdub, congratulations! How very wonderful!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had my first appt this afternoon. A few things that were not fun were sharing a bathroom with Will while trying to collect a urine sample, Will crying when I had blood drawn and Will spitting out his granola bar during my exam. Mrdub was even there to help supervise, but things are so different with a toddler in tow!

No u/s today and too early for a heartbeat, so it was pretty lack luster in that area. But no problems, so that's good.

Two things I'm debating right now..
1) do we want to do the first semester screening? We declined all testing with Will, but at the 20 week scan we had an abnormal measurement (nuchal fold, which I was told today is not measured at 20 weeks, so who knows) which caused a lot of (eventually unnecessary) stress. I'd sort of just like to get it out of the way this time.
2) do I want to switch from my current practice to a midwife. I saw a midwife today in the same group as my OBs, but she doesn't deliver (none of the midwives in the practice do). I had a really easy pregnancy and delivery with Will, so if all goes the same an OB/midwife wouldn't make a difference... But I'd sort of like to see a midwife this time. Maybe for something different, if nothing else.

ETA: EDD April 7... One week before my 30th birthday :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The 12 week scan doesn't really get testing out of the way because it is just a risk assessment, not diagnostic. So you could still have a funny result that is meaningless and wind up doing extra testing and having extra stress, and possibly not even having answers until much later in the pregnancy. Or you could have a normal result and have a child with a serious chromosomal abnormality in the end. My real question to myself for these kinds of tests was whether or not I would go for diagnostic testing (with its risk of miscarriage) if the result was funny, and then whether I would abort if diagnostic testing showed a chromosomal abnormality. The one big upside for many is that it can serve as an early dating ultrasound which is not generally covered by insurance, I know many people who did it just for that purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

+1 to what Ariann said.

we did the early screening tests because i dunno we just did. we have no history of any sort of disabilities or chromosonal disorders in either of our families so we were just like "whatever"
then i got a really bad test result back. based on the results i was told BabyPunk had a 1 in 3 chance of having Down Syndrome.
i spent 2-3 days straight sobbing hysterically and completely inconsolable. i had no idea if i would be able to parent a special needs child and i had no idea if i could terminate the pregnancy.
we went to meet with a genetic counselor and i elected to have the amnio done. i sobbed through the entire appt and the entire procedure (which does indeed feel like stabbing a giant needle in your abdomen!)
turns out everything was totally fine. no extra chromosomes, no missing chromosomes, no abnormalities.
it was hands down one of the worst experiences of my life. thankfully the outcome was good.

afterwards i came across SO MANY people who had the same experience. so my point is that if you do elect to do it (and im certainly not saying you shouldnt do it!) dont panic if you get a bad test result!!!! i swear age throws the results way off. i found so many people in the 35+ category who all had a bad reading but no abnormalities.

i also read an interesting study afterwards of vegetarian women in Taiwan and something about the veg diet was throwing the test results off (or so it seemed)

also BabyPunk's heart condition was not detected in utero even though it seems like most people who have babies with the same thing learn at the 20 week scan.
BP was born with a giant hole in her heart and 2 small holes and then a pulmonary stenosis and this eluded the 20 week scan, the 80000000 u/s i had at the end of my pregnancy and all the biophysical profiles i was subjected too.
that is a bit of a mystery but i guess my point is the testing isnt the end all be all answer.

of course my experiences were not the norm as seems to be consistant with everything in my life :-P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:47 pm 
Chip Strong

The new Harmony test is a really good non-invasive option. It looks at fetal DNA in maternal blood and although it's still considered a screening test, it is so sensitive that it's basically considered diagnostic for trisomy 13, 18, and 21. It's just a blood draw and you can do it anytime in pregnancy starting at 10 weeks. You can also find out the baby's sex if you want.

And I certainly think you should consider a midwife, kdub, but I'm biased. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 pm 
Semen Strong

How exciting kdub! Sending you tons of good thoughts!

And Thank you so much for that information moooo! Does the Harmony test have an age component? The one I did measured (1) free beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin) and Pregnancy-associated plasma protein A (PAPP-A), (2) used a risk factor based on the mother's age and (3) the nuchal fold - and the combo of the three gave you your risk factor. For an older mother, the risks of false positives were so high, that if that were my only option, I'd just go straight to a CVS instead (like LP, that false positives was one of the worst experiences of my life). But obvs this would be so much better. Its so interesting that they can isolate out fetal DNA to examine. And where is the blood drawn from?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I heard no mention of the Harmony test, is that something I would have to specifically ask for?

I know there is a risk of false positive, but my main reason for considering it this time is the measurement last time and the doc was all "well, it's really hard to get a good measurement at 20 weeks. That's why it's a first trimester test." (BTW I now realized I typed "semester" in my last post... Sorry, teacher brain!) For my age, family history, etc the risk is low already, so a normal nuchal measurement is all I'd really be looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I think if it would give you piece of mind you should definitely do if.

I don't know anything about the different tests I would only be worried about whether or not insurance would pay for a specifically requested test

Good luck :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hi!

Re harmony:this is what i took away from our big genetic testing counseling appt: they look at the dna in your blood and the ratio (you have yours and your baby's dna in your veins!) and then based on the ratio decide which is yours and which is the babies, then they look at the baby's dna and look for anomalies. I think its pretty cool as tests go, even though i didn't get it. I figure, we did the level two ultrasound and had no soft markers (i'm gonna be 40 when this babe is born) and even though not having soft markers doesn't mean our risk of downs,etc is lower, if does mean we are pretty unlikely to have a baby with physical problems at birth, and that was our main concern, oh, and kicker, our insurance doesn't consider it standard and will not guarantee covering it. If the baby has downs, we will deal with it, and i don't think knowing now would help us. i can't remember exactly, but i think harmony was pretty accurate- like 98+%? the only thing i was a bit iffy about was the paperwork they gave us about it made it sound like they kept your dna on file.

i think i'm 23 or 24 weeks now? i have my next appt with my hosp based midwife on monday, and will be going by there today to get a copy of my file, including my report for my cesarean this afternoon. I have to give it to the homebased midwife i am also seeing, and i am nervous that reading it is going to be... unpleasant. I can't remember when they do my glucose screen, i hope it won't be monday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think the Harmony test is ultra-cool too. We did not do it because my insurance wouldn't cover it.

I called to make my first appointment with my midwife and it won't be until 10/14. I enjoyed the 6 week US with Giles - so to wait until 9.5 weeks is going to be tough. I just want to see that heartbeat...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh congratulations Annasrobbie! I remember you posting about the faint line 9 DPO, so I am gathering that the little line is now a very clear and happy one :) Sending many many good thoughts!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annasrobbie- congrats! Big Brother Giles!! I can definitely sympathize.. We saw Will at a teeny, tiny 5 weeks!

jildez- have you posted before this that baby #2 is on the way? If so, I think I missed it. If not, yay!!!

ETA: I just went back and snooped... Apparently you are due the end of December... YAY anyway!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annasrobbie wrote:
I think the Harmony test is ultra-cool too. We did not do it because my insurance wouldn't cover it.

I am amazed that I wasn't even offered the Harmony and I am hearing about it for the first time here!

Hooray for baby #2 annasrobbie!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 pm 
Chip Strong

It's really new, Ariann, probably newer than your pregnancy with Malka.

Congrats annasrobbie and jildez!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

A (RN) friend of mine just had the harmony test and her info on it concurred with what mooo said; I think if I get pregnant again I will definitely go that route even if I have to pay for it out of pocket. I'm so amazed that it's already to market, I thought that sort of thing was just in experimental phases when I was pregnant with Vi.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 am 
Semen Strong

It sounds like a Godsend for people who are older who would otherwise have to do a CVS or amnio. My CVS was painful (fibroids) and not cheap (they had 2 MDs and an ultrasound tech and a nurse working on me to find the sliver of a placenta). If I could avoid that, I'd be so happy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah avoiding the more invasive stuff would be great!!

the amnio felt EXACTLY like one would think jabbing a giant needle into your abdomen would feel like

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And an amnio is what seemed to cause my mother's water to break with me. The humor of it is that they were checking for lung development because her BP was going up. Would really be nice to avoid risking a miscarriage or preterm birth. I imagine I'd go for the Harmony if my insurance covered it. I was already planning on skipping all the other screenings besides 20 week ultrasound with my next one, but something more definitive is more palatable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think amnios are WAAAAY safer these days.
i know when i told my mom i had an amnio done she kind of panicked for a minute because back in the day (ie the 70s) they carried a high risk of miscarriage but now it's so common to do that the risk is really small. i forget what they told me it was because ive tried to block the whole ugly ordeal from my memory but it was a super small percentage.

that being said a simple blood test as an alternative sounds great. obviously no one wants a needle jabbed in them no matter how low the risk and the CVS doesnt sound fun either which was one of our other options.

i do remember the genetic counselor saying there was some blood test we could do but i dont remember the word harmony being used and since we had already had one crappy blood test we went for the amnio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the switch to a midwife and I'll see her next week already. Best part... Ultrasound before the appt!

I made an appt for the 12-week scan, but I may have to reschedule now that I've switched providers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had my appointment with whom I THOUGHT was going to be a midwife (the new office is like 8 OBs and 3 midwives), but apparently when I called and said "I'm switching offices to see a midwife" didn't translate to "Please schedule me to see midwife." The OB I ended up seeing was really nice and they were apologetic for the scheduling mix up, but I will be seeing a midwife from here on out.

I had an ultrasound before the appointment, which confirmed just one baby with a healthy heart beat and that I was 10 days behind what they originally predicted my due date to be (the new date is what I expected and correlates with my positive test exactly). New EDD is April 17, which is now 3 days after my 30th birthday. I invited my mom to the ultrasound, and she was pretty excited to be there!

I still have my first trimester screening for the end of the month, but I've been going back and forth. I will probably end up going through with it because 1) it's another chance to see baby and 2) my insurance covers it, so why not. I still have heard no mention of the Harmony test and I felt silly asking about it since I am pretty low risk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sounds like things are going well! yay for heartbeat hearing!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So exciting - hooray on a healthy heartbeat! That is funny though about switching to see a midwife and getting the OB :)

I am 6 weeks today by my LMP. I feel like I have known FOREVER that I am pregnant so it seems so weird that I am still so early on. A co-worker already guess I was pregnant - she saw crackers on my desk and the jig was up. She said she will keep it a secret, but she is kind of my go to for all the office gossip so I think pretty much everybody will know by the end of next week...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Annasrobbie, congratulations!!

I love how all it took was crackers and the jig was up!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i was surprised nobody i worked with figured it out when i was ill for weeks on end and only eating ginger ale and crackers.
but then again i never expressed any interest in kids or wanting them so i guess i dont blame them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272 ... 310  Next