| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I outgrew all my fitted maternity clothes at the end with my second pregnancy, but I went to 38.5 weeks with twins (who weighed 13.5 lbs total). I still didn't outgrow them until pretty close to the end though, so it would not have been worth it to size up early since the larger size wouldn't have worked well for most of that pregnancy. (I had to rely on a few really big loose dresses at the end.)

With my first (singleton) pregnancy though, I fit everything until the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

bastah wrote:
Congrats Change is Constant!

We went shopping for maternity clothes today, and I'm not sure if I did it right. I bought stuff that fits currently (I also put on a 7 month belly and everything fits with that too). Should I have bought larger sizes? The stretchy part will fit over a belly, but do I need to worry about my butt and thighs growing dramatically? So far I think only my belly has grown (I personally think I look way more pregnant than I am and I'm embarrassed by it). Also, maternity clothes are soooooooo freaking comfortable. I got one of those bands that holds up pre-maternity pants and lets you wear them unbuttoned. LOVE.

maternity pants are the best.
i think it depends on the person and how and where you gain weight but i heard you are supposed to buy the size you currently wear for maternity clothes and in theory they should fit you for a good long time. maybe at the end you may need to upgrade depend on how/where you gain weight.
the nice elastic tummy of the pants should get pretty big.
i held out shopping for maternity clothes for a REALLY long time becuase i did not gain alot of weight when pregnant and i was horrified at the concept of maternity clothes but once i bought a pair of maternity pants i was like WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR THESE ARE THE BEST!

for tops i just bought some XL shirts but again i was pretty small til the end

my biggest problem was figuring out what size nursing bra to buy. that totally baffled me. i still havent found one i like but oh well i wear nrusing tank tops with no bra most of the time. my boobs will probably be hanging down around my knees soon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I realize this won't mean anything to many people, but my a1c is 5.9 %, which is amazing. I've had diabetes for over 25 years, and it's never been even close to this low before. (Low is good. A person without diabetes would get a result between 4.5 and 6%.)

I need to remember this the next time I eat something like rice and freak out about the resulting high postprandial blood sugar level.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So. entering month six.....I am trying to play "the name Game" for this baby. I am kinda stuck! So do you all at this stage, or earlier, have the baby name picked out already? I thought I knew what I may name my first daughter last time at around eight months, I think, but then when she was born I took six days to finalize it with her combination of middle names! Gah! The indecision that is coming along with this pregnancy so isn't helping, either. At least I find it kind of entertaining to look through baby names books...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am 22 weeks tomorrow (is that 5 months I guess?) and I really want to have a name picked out but the going is tough! We had our name for our last baby at 20 weeks - I let my husband pick with me having veto power. This time around seems worse altogether. Our top choices that we both can agree on are Anders, Gareth, and Henley...but I guess Henley will have to be scratched because our firstborn's middle name is Henry and that might get confusing...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Annasrobbie, I am the same amount pregnant as you, and I am officially calling anything past 20 weeks, "six months", lol, I'm sure it is o.k. It is actually kind of confusing at this stage, I consulted a book that concurred with me, though! I looove the name Henley, may I steal it? It is very similar to one I am thinking of using, Harley. I guess it is a bit easier because it is just me that gets to decide the name, no daddy to consult, but in a way it is harder! I got most of the say for my daughter's name over her dad's opinion 11 years ago, but it still helped to have him to bounce ideas off of!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just name it "Beavis."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

We're having trouble too! I started the name game years ago, because it's fun and because I wanted to have it planned. Not naming names or anything, because he's going to read this, but someone is making this very difficult and doesn't like any name in the world. There are so many names that I would be OK with just because I know he's picky, but I seriously think the baby won't ever get a name. I think we agreed on Abernathy years ago, but I looked it up on the Internet and it's not on any baby name sites, so it's definitely unique, but on forums where the name comes up, everyone seems to agree that it would be a boy's name. We see it as a girl's name. She would be Abby for short. I think that's the only one he's maybe OK with?

(oh and thanks for the reassurance about maternity clothes, guys. I guess I might have to buy a new pair of pants towards the end, but we'll see)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We waited until 4 or five days after the birth to settle on a name. It's hard to decide!

Oh, and I wish it was acceptable to wear maternity pants forever. I think men with big bellies would like them too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm 

Yes, soooo comfy! Although demi panel doesn't seem to work for me or my tummy isn't big enough yet for them to stay up. I'm a full-panel fan. Big guys wouldn't need to wear suspenders anymore if they had full panel maternity pants!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

the idea of men's beer guts in the full panel maternity pants cracks me up! Well that is good to know about the months thing although I feel like saying 6 months pregnant means I should deliver in 3 months which would mean an early April baby...I guess I overthink these things.

And have at Henley if you want it bygolly - I think it is super cute and am sad that it probably can't be used by me...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ask refinnej what she thinks about picking/deciding on a name. I'm sure she'll tell you there is plenty time ;)

I'm 26 weeks tomorrow, and no name in sight. My husband likes wild names (Pistol, Cash), and I prefer something more classic (Abe, Ivy, Hazel). You can imagine how well names fit into both of those categories. We have, though, decided on middle names. August (mrdub's birth month for a boy) or April (my birth month) for a girl. We won't have a name until baby is born... And I'm okay with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We picked our first son's name within a week after his birth, but our second son's name was picked out probably around 6 months. We didn't actually know that he'd be a boy, but we had one boy name and one girl name picked out. It really doesn't matter when you pick! You've got lots of time!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I can't believe how many ppk babies are cooking! We had our girl name picked out forever but never decided on a boy name, so we lucked out. I know what your a1c means, mollyjade, and it is awesome! Good for you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yay mollyjade! (I also know what that means!)

I had my girl name picked out for like four years before I got pregnant, before we even got married, and my husband knew there was no fighting me on it because it was my grandmother's name. We only came up with a joke boy name. We picked out her middle name by flipping randomly through a baby name book and saying names with the first name until one stuck, but it was a very lighthearted whatever kind of search. So, yeah, lucky it was a girl. It did take us a few days after the birth to figure out the last name! We only settled because we knew we would be too lazy to submit the birth certificate info after leaving the hospital, so that was a deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lol@kdub. At least we were happy with our choice. If we have a baby 2, I don't know what we'll do (though we had 2 or 3 boy names that we agreed on).

mollyjade...that is awesome! One less thing to worry about, eh?

So many babies on the way. Baby fever rising fast here. :p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Boys names are easy for us -- Raygold's middle name took a bit of debating, but we'd decided on Beet's before I got pregnant and I got him to agree to Vax's names early on. Woe for us if we ever have a girl, though, because my husband and I cannot agree on ANYTHING. He loves all these over-the-top boy names and classic old-man names and doesn't like any girl names (not even over-the-top or old lady names), except really awful ones or Scandinavian/Russian names that are too popular for my taste (i.e. Astrid and Anastasia -- great names, but waaay too popular for me).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I caved and went maternity clothes shopping yesterday. Last time I held out until almost the third trimester, and I only bought a few things, and the weather was warmer then, so until yesterday I didn't have anything that fit and was warm enough for January. I'm only 11 weeks, but even with my jeans completely unzipped, I couldn't wear them. (I've been eating quite a lot this pregnancy...) I got some demi-panel jeans at old navy, some leggings, and some sweater dresses. And some big ol' non-maternity sweatpants, which make me so, so happy. Comfort is good.

About names: we liked two boy names last time and no girl names, so we waited until we found out the sex before agonizing, and luckily we had a boy. This time it's the opposite. I have two girl names I like and no boy names, so we'll wait until 20 weeks and see. The names my husband likes are super, super common right now, like Grace. Grace is a lovely name, but every third girl at preschool is named Grace. Seriously, Grace, Sophie, and Lilly account for 2/3 of girls on our area. I prefer cranky old lady names.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

bastah wrote:
I think we agreed on Abernathy years ago, but I looked it up on the Internet and it's not on any baby name sites, so it's definitely unique, but on forums where the name comes up, everyone seems to agree that it would be a boy's name. We see it as a girl's name. She would be Abby for short. I think that's the only one he's maybe OK with?

Abernathy is my dream name for a girl! I only see it as a girls name.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 pm 

Yes, those names are so popular! There are many Olivias, Emmas, Lilys, etc. And it's hard because when you think of popular names (ones you want to avoid) when you want to have your first child, you think of the names that are popular in your age group (Sarah, Jessica, Heather, Jennifer...) and without having a kid in school or hearing that popular names have changed, it's hard to avoid the current popular names. I was so shocked when I found out which names are popular now. So now I have to look up each name I think of to see if it's popular or not, because I would never know otherwise.

JENNA wrote:
bastah wrote:
I think we agreed on Abernathy years ago, but I looked it up on the Internet and it's not on any baby name sites, so it's definitely unique, but on forums where the name comes up, everyone seems to agree that it would be a boy's name. We see it as a girl's name. She would be Abby for short. I think that's the only one he's maybe OK with?

Abernathy is my dream name for a girl! I only see it as a girls name.

Whoa, we're not the only ones! I think there's a good chance if it's a girl, she'll be Abernathy, but I'm still a little scared to use the name since it's so unique and confusing to some apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:53 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

bastah wrote:
We're having trouble too! I started the name game years ago, because it's fun and because I wanted to have it planned. Not naming names or anything, because he's going to read this, but someone is making this very difficult and doesn't like any name in the world. There are so many names that I would be OK with just because I know he's picky, but I seriously think the baby won't ever get a name. I think we agreed on Abernathy years ago, but I looked it up on the Internet and it's not on any baby name sites, so it's definitely unique, but on forums where the name comes up, everyone seems to agree that it would be a boy's name. We see it as a girl's name. She would be Abby for short. I think that's the only one he's maybe OK with?

(oh and thanks for the reassurance about maternity clothes, guys. I guess I might have to buy a new pair of pants towards the end, but we'll see)

I've known people with Abernathy as their last name. Never heard it as a first name, but I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I hear it as a boy's name, but either way I think it's adorable, and love the idea of shortening to to Abby.

Last edited by Mars on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

bastah wrote:
Whoa, we're not the only ones! I think there's a good chance if it's a girl, she'll be Abernathy, but I'm still a little scared to use the name since it's so unique and confusing to some apparently.

I think the uniqueness and confusion to some would depend on where you live. My daughters name is Reno and people definitely questioned it at first..mostly because it's a male name. Most now love it and her first grade classroom is filled with unique names that no one in that school would ever question it! I love that her name isn't weird or unusual in school.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, how weird a name is definitely depends on where you live. My son's kindergarten class has lots of new/unusual/fantasti names. I think it's also generational. Older people still find my youngest son's name pretty odd, (and always recognize my oldest's name, since it's biblical), and younger people are the opposite.

Also wanted to say Abernathy is a lovely girl's name. I really like that it's got a great built-in nickname too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had a girl and a boy name picked out in my head for a long time. one girl name i really liked my husband outright vetoed but otherwise he is very unopinionated so i gave him a deadline of agreeing to something before we left the hospital.
we ended up going with the one i liked because otherwise he would have had to think of something himself or garner and opinion on something.

her middle name (Clara) was non-negotiable and i told him that outright. it was my grandmother's name.

i like the idea of names that either mean something or are in honor of a person.
so Charlotte was after Charlotte's Web since it's a book about kindness and compassion towards all living things and then Clara after my nana.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 310  Next