| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 315  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the kind thoughts and support. I went ahead and posted more in the Loss thread, and will keep posting there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish, I love your positive attitude about it all and I think that's definitely going to get you through this. I think the positive attitude thing was in an article about who the happiest and most successful people are. It's a rare trait, but one of the best.

I had my appointment yesterday! People keep telling me how huge I am and how I'm having multiples or something is wrong. Well, before I even mentioned anything about that, my doctor commented that I'm SMALL (not in a bad way). So I told her about how large I feel and the comments I've been getting and she said that my belly is only about an inch and that it just looks bigger because of how I'm carrying (I'm carrying high). She also said there's no way I'm having multiples (well, there's the tiniest chance, but no signs of it, and in my case, that would be VERY rare).

I asked her about each of my symptoms and everything is completely normal and healthy. She even went into scientific detail about each one and what it means, why it's good, and what I can do about it. She's just the best doc ever.

So I left feeling really good and everything is looking normal and healthy so far!

Also, I probably had a cold when I had all the nasty congestion. The rest of my congestion is probably from pregnancy, but not the worst of it.

Wow, in two weeks, I will be halfway through this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Yay! Having a good doctor who will explain things really makes a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh HURRAH bastah! I am so happy you have your good MD back! I do think that having someone you like and trust during your pregnancy and birth is invaluable, because you really do have to put so much into their hands when you're in labor. I am a bit of a control freak, and it was so hard for me to imagine not being able to direct my own care or advocate for myself in labor, but really I could barely speak at times. I was so glad to have my awesome doula and MW, whom I trusted completely. My husband is awesome, but he got a bit freaked out (especially when we were trying to drive to the hospital), and was glad to be able to let my doula speak for me and trust our MW to support us well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 pm 

Tomorrow I go to the opthamologist to get my eyes checked. This is usually the scariest day of the year for diabetes doctor appointments (it always feels like judgment day), but it's extra scary this time because there's a good chance the eye doc will be the one making the decision whether I deliver vaginally or by c-section. Crossing my fingers for good news.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I hope it goes well for you, mollyjade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 pm 

Thanks guys, yes very excited about having my amazing doctor who I trust!

Good luck, Mollyjade. I had no idea that there was any link to the eye doctor and diabetes care. What will he be able to see that could have the outcome of a C-section?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck, mollyjade! I am ill-informed on diabetes, so I'm curious how the eye doc influences your birth plan?

We are off of school today due to cold temps and I'm so happy that I was able to squeeze in an appt with the midwife/lab today for my glucose test. It was originally scheduled for Will's birthday and that was not what I had in mind to celebrate!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 pm 

There are lots of tiny blood vessels in your eyes, and since they're so small and fragile, they're one of the first places to get damaged in your body from high blood sugars over a long time. Pregnancy often makes this worse (not sure why). So depending on how my eyes look, the doctor might not think it's safe for me to have the extra pressure on those tiny vessels from pushing during vaginal birth. Though I think I have to go back every few months during the pregnancy, so the decision might not get made at this visit.

This isn't anything to worry about with gestational diabetes or even type 2 (unless you get it when you're a little kid), since it takes a long time for the damage to develop.

ETA I just looked up why pregnancy makes it worse. It's because the extra hormones stimulate more blood vessels to grow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I imagine it's related to the way pregnancy can worsen or cause varicose veins.

A lot of providers think any kind of diabetes is grounds for an automatic C-section, so it's actually nice to hear that that's not what your care providers think.

Hope it's good news, molllyjade!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good news from my appt yesterday: baby appears to be head-down, my iron levels are "nice and high" ("Keep eating what you're eating!" I love when medical professionals say that, not knowing I'm vegan. Who needs red meat?!), and I'm measuring right on schedule.

Bad news: I failed my glucose test. I'm really upset, because I was right on the cut off. One point lower and I would've passed. Now I have to do the 3-hour test on Saturday, and even though she said my risk is still low, I can't help but freak out a little.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm 

I know a lot of people who just barely failed the first test and passed the second one, kdub. Crossing my fingers for you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I failed the first and passed the second. The threshold for failing is really low for the first, because its just a glucose screening and not a glucose tolerance test, and is intended just to identify those people who need to take the full 3 hour GTT. So it really doesn't mean much! Plus if you do have GD there is a lot of diet support available to you, so it can just mean eating better for a few weeks. My awesome friend gets GD (she is super healthy,vegan and runs marathons) and has had GD for 5 of her pregnancies and they've all been uneventful easy deliveries with very healthy babies!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 pm 

I got very good news from the eye doctor. She says that there's pretty much no chance there will be a problem with my eyes during the pregnancy due to the amount of eye damage I currently have (a teeny tiny bit) and how my blood sugars have been so far. I have to go back at 8 months, but the doctor said it's pretty much just a formality. So yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, Tofulish and mollyjade. I'm hopeful I'll pass the 3-hour test, so it's good to hear. I also have a friend who did have GD, so if I don't I know she'll be a great support and resource.

And mollyjade, that's awesome news! Glad to hear you have healthy eyes that shouldn't interfere!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yay, mollyjade!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:09 pm 

That's so awesome, Mollyjade!

Good luck, Kdub!

I'm a member of a family forum and the women keep saying much they loved being pregnant and how much they miss it. Here's one example: "I gave birth 3 months ago, and what I wouldn't give to still be pregnant." And everyone is responding with how amazing pregnancy is.

I feel like I'm doing it wrong! Maybe things will be different once I can feel the baby move?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good news mollyjade!

bastah, I think it's easy to focus on the positives of pregnancy after the fact. I have been yearning for the full-belly, baby-kicking, good hair feeling. Now, if I really thought about it, I'd remember too the days of falling asleep during every single TV show for like 3 months, puking at the smell of bread, torn muscles from my giant belly, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

+1 to what refinnej said above, also + having to commute on really crowded trains with rude people and getting up to pee a thousand times a night. I miss the anticipation and feeling the baby grow inside me but not all the daily annoyances which seem trivial but add up to a pretty hard 9 months!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, my husband and I fall asleep together in front of the TV every night. He works 12+ hour days on a submarine, I assemble baby parts in my belly. I guess it's about equivalent, fatigue-wise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

bastah wrote:
That's so awesome, Mollyjade!

Good luck, Kdub!

I'm a member of a family forum and the women keep saying much they loved being pregnant and how much they miss it. Here's one example: "I gave birth 3 months ago, and what I wouldn't give to still be pregnant." And everyone is responding with how amazing pregnancy is.

I feel like I'm doing it wrong! Maybe things will be different once I can feel the baby move?

I didn't really mind being pregnant and didn't have as many physical indignities to deal with as many women, but I can totally relate to the "what I wouldn't give to still be pregnant" feeling not because it's so great, but because having a teeny baby outside my body was SO MUCH HARDER than having one inside. And all the niggling indignities I suffered during pregnancy either got worse or didn't get better after I gave birth (except, thank God, for the heartburn), and then there were brand new, sometimes much worse, indignities to deal with. So there's that perspective. (And I actually hated feeling the fetus move at the end - felt like something out of Alien, especially when I could see the outline of a foot or hand!).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahaha! I see so many people post this "Living with the Ache" article, about how to come to terms with the fact that you will not be having another baby, and won't ever get to hold a newborn again. And all I think is that having a newborn is so flipping hard, I can't imagine feeling nostalgic for it. I love L to pieces, but it all gets easier and easier and she is such a joy now, where when she was 8 weeks old, I was walking around wondering when in the heck she was going to stop crying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aside from morning sickness and this stupid pelvic bone pain I guess I have had pretty easy pregnancies so I had some nostalgia for pregnancy...I really love feeling baby kick (but mine wasn't a rib kicker or anything uncomfortable). I do agree though that time softens the memory of things - I know I have actually said to my husband that morning sickness and fatigue with this second pregnancy were so much worse and he said, "No, they are about the same." I just didn't remember! I guess for preservation of the species?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

as hard as having a newborn was i would take that over being pregnant anyday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think pregnancy and newborn amnesia must be a thing. Otherwise why on earth would you do it again?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 315  Next