| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7738 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I bet if there were an issue, they would have mentioned it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

That's what I would hope.

OH! And awesome news! Baby Chalupa Batman will have a first cousin the exact same age (due dates are right next to each other) and the same sex! We just found that out. The cousins will live two hours from each other. I'm hoping that will mean automatic best friend. SO EXCITED about that! And what's more interesting is that the dad is shortbus' identical twin. Twins having babies at the same time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

bastah wrote:

OH! And awesome news! Baby Chalupa Batman will have a first cousin the exact same age (due dates are right next to each other) and the same sex! We just found that out. The cousins will live two hours from each other. I'm hoping that will mean automatic best friend. SO EXCITED about that! And what's more interesting is that the dad is shortbus' identical twin. Twins having babies at the same time!

that is really really cool!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 pm 

bastah wrote:

Neat! Genetically, they're as close as siblings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, that's so neat, bastah! My kids won't have any cousins and it makes me a little sad sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If you had just a little bit of previa they probably wouldn't mention it. It's dangerous when you're full-term, but it's totally not an issue at this point and when the uterus starts to grow more rapidly it just moves right out of the way. If it were a major previa, you'd probably already have heard about it because they'd want to do extra monitoring to see if it moved.

Malka has a first cousin two weeks younger and it is super awesome, they are totally best friends. We only live 45 minutes apart but don't see each other as much as we'd like. They talk on the phone and facetime all the time, though. I think they're better best friends than kids we see more frequently because they have less parental interaction in their playing than normal playdates - nobody is worried the other set of parents will be aghast when their kid gets hurt at our playdates because they're family, so we are majorly chill. (At this point, though, Malka's cousin is like 10 pounds heavier than she is and 6 inches taller, and they are both super energetic and get crazy wild around each other, so we are a little more careful about the potential clobbering than we were last year.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I had a partial previa at 20 weeks with M, and by the time I had a followup ultrasound (for something else) at 24 weeks, it was gone. Makes sense if you think about it-- your placenta is attached to some point in your uterus. Your uterus expands, and the placenta moves along with the point it's attached to, like a piece of bubble gum stuck on the outside of a balloon. Most of the time, the expansion moves the placenta further away from the opening.

E has a cousin who is 3 weeks older, and while they've never met (he lives on the east coast, along with all the rest of my family), it's actually been really awesome having my sister to talk to about developmental stuff throughout the whole process. It's brought us closer, in a way I really didn't expect.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Bastah, you said BatMAN so I'm drawing my own conclusion, but are you having a boy? Or are you telling 'us'? Congrats either way on finding out the gender! In other news, I hate to whine, but I had The Dreaded Orange Drink today. I thought it would be fine, it had even been chilled to "help it go down" how nice!! Yeah, no....it was so gross! I vaguely recall this test from expecting with my daughter over a decade ago and I kbow I didnt like it then but man I feel like it got to me this time. I was super nauseated in the waiting room for the hour before they drew blood. It was like five hours ago now and I still feel barfy. I had the sweats earlier and a headache and had a nap. Now I am trying to think of something to eat that is bland and won't make me hurl. I don't know maybe because I had the taste later this time (29.5 weeks) made it worse. I just feel like a baby and like I will run away if god forbid they want to re do it. Hope not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 am 

I'm no longer worried about the placenta. If I have another ultrasound, I'm sure they'll pay close attention to any issues.

The due dates are only a couple weeks apart, so anything can happen (baby being born early or late). While I think it would be fun for them to be born the same day, I don't want to have to wait that long, and I don't want her to be a couple weeks early. Haha I'll just have to settle for a couple weeks age difference.

Sorry, we've been calling it Chalupa Batman since week 3! I wasn't even thinking about the "man" part. Ha, I bet family and friends might think it's a boy but they won't know for sure until June!

I am DREADING the glucose test. 3-4 more weeks until I take it. I really hope you're done and don't have to move on to the 3 hour one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 am 

One of the very few good things about being pregnant with preexisting diabetes is I get to skip that test. Good luck to everyone going through it. It sounds unpleasant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:40 am 

mollyjade wrote:
One of the very few good things about being pregnant with preexisting diabetes is I get to skip that test. Good luck to everyone going through it. It sounds unpleasant.

The test seems so sadistic to me (even if it's not meant to be), so the fact that they don't make you take it (and why would they? that would make no sense), makes it seem a little less sadistic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BP had a first cousin born 5 weeks after her. both babies were the first grandbabies on my husband's side of the fam and both girls. obviously my in laws are like crazy over the moon about it.

they live in NC though and we live in MA so we will probably only see them at Thanksgiving and the relationship between that brother and my husband is a tad strained. its cool to watch them grow up but at the same time the cousin is developing and hitting milestones earlier than BP who is on the slow track and i constantly have to keep stopping myself from comparing.

the glucose drink is pretty gross and i thought i would i would puke it up but it went down fine and i didnt puke and i dont even remember what it tasted like so i guess that's something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was dreading the glucose drink - but this time around it didn't seem so bad to me for some reason. Flat orange soda...I chugged it in record time. I took it a week ago and haven't heard anything from the office- I hope that means good news for me?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I measured right at 32 weeks today and baby's heart beat was 140. I forgot to ask the midwife about a pertussis booster. A few appointments ago the nurse mentioned it while taking my vitals, but the midwives have never said anything about it. I think it's recommended with each pregnancy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:17 pm 

I think you only need it once as an adult. In the third trimester.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think it's (TDaP) a 7-year vax, but the nurse said it's recommended with each pregnancy. I just had one two years ago when I was pregnant with Will, but she said baby can get protection in-utero. I just think it's so odd that the nurse is the only person who has said anything about it. My two friends who are due close to me have had no mention either. Of course, today I thought about asking as I was buckling Will back in the car seat to go home...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 am 

Good to know! The pharmacist we talked to made it seem like a one-time only thing for adults. We're still trying to figure out if husband has had it already, since he got a tetanus shot a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Your husband can call his doc and ask if his tetanus shot was the tdap that's what I did when I got pregnant cause I had gotten the tetanus shot the year before.

Adults are supposed to get it like every 10 years but I think it wasn't really ever remembered til recently with pertussis outbreaks. I think it had been like 15 years since I had gotten one.
I forces my husband to get it too he may never have had it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Gah! Doctors are confusing me,mkay?! So last Fri. I saw my family Dr. In my town so he could "get to know about " me/my pregnan y since he is who I will take baby too for well baby che kups, im a new patient to him. Anyway, had to give him the whole background to be brought up to date. I asked him what tests we were missing since last dr. Appointment with dif. Dr. For me was dec. Due to moving. He ordered some and then referred me to a dr. Practice a town over who actually deliver babys...my town does not. He mentions I probably won't have any more ultrasound s as "everything looks fine" and they can be harmful to the baby. Well I saw adoctor from that practice today, they have the same medical records on me as he did and I came out with a series of THREE ultrasounds booked! They poo-pooed what first doctor said about them being potentially harmful if baby is overexposed, and really I had never before heard that they were harmful, but why would he say that if not?? And, I am seven months pregnant actually 29 weeks and I have already had two ultrasounds this pregnancy. If I follow this recommended series schedule that would make five total. And that just seems an awful lot! She said these last ones will all be "anatomy scans". But they already have told me what my babys gender is so to me that would be a pretty good chan e to see structural anatomy. And they always said everything has looked fine. Plus the internet tells me when you are as advanced into pregnan y as this and they ultrasound you they are also looking at and scoring moms physiology like amnioti c fluid etc. So I guess I just bite the bullet and go for one or a. Couple of these, make sure I get the results and then juat delay/postpone any more until it too late I.e. baby comes physi ally into the world? Haha what a contradiction between these two doctors! I may get a third opinion. Srry so long I just hate feeling pressured like missing some prenatal care (I had no choice) constitutes now A heightened state of alert and panic once I feel things are finally calm enuff for me to come in and hold these appointments. I feel everything is as has been stated all along, FINE and I am not the only woman to have had sporadic prenatal care for pete's sake. I am getting settled into a good pace for preparing for an infant and don't want to get thrown off by someone elses panic ultra reactive hyperscheduling action plans

Last edited by 1strangegirlbygolly! on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:42 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The current recommendation is to get a tdap booster during each pregnancy. We only actually need it every ten years (unless you step on a rusty nail and haven't gotten a booster in 5 yrs) but giving it during pregnancy is a public health measure to protect newborns against pertussis by catching women when they're already seeing a healthcare provider. Giving it during pregnancy is fairly new so maybe your midwife is still offering it immediately postpartum instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
Gah! Doctors are confusing me,mkay?! So last Fri. I saw my family Dr. In my town so he could "get to know about " me/my pregnan y since he is who I will take baby too for well baby che kups, im a new patient to him. Anyway, had to give him the whole background to be brought up to date. I asked him what tests we were missing since last dr. Appointment with dif. Dr. For me was dec. Due to moving. He ordered some and then referred me to a dr. Practice a town over who actually deliver babys...my town does not. He mentions I probably won't have any more ultrasound s as "everything looks fine" and they can be harmful to the baby. Well I saw adoctor from that practice today, they have the same medical records on me as he did and I came out with a series of THREE ultrasounds booked! They poo-pooed what first doctor said about them being potentially harmful if baby is overexposed, and really I had never before heard that they were harmful, but why would he say that if not?? And, I am seven months pregnant actually 29 weeks and I have already had two ultrasounds this pregnancy. If I follow this recommended series schedule that would make five total. And that just seems an awful lot! She said these last ones will all be "anatomy scans". But they already have told me what my babys gender is so to me that would be a pretty good chan e to see structural anatomy. And they always said everything has looked fine. Plus the internet tells me when you are as advanced into pregnan y as this and they ultrasound you they are also looking at and scoring moms physiology like amnioti c fluid etc. So I guess I just bite the bullet and go for one or a. Couple of these, make sure I get the results and then juat delay/postpone any more until it too late I.e. baby comes physi ally into the world? Haha what a contradiction between these two doctors! I may get a third opinion. Srry so long I just hate feeling pressured like missing some prenatal care (I had no choice) constitutes now A heightened state of alert and panic once I feel things are finally calm enuff for me to come in and hold these appointments. I feel everything is as has been stated all along, FINE and I am not the only woman to have had sporadic prenatal care for pete's sake. I am getting settled into a good pace for preparing for an infant and don't want to get thrown off by someone elses panic ultra reactive hyperscheduling action plans

ok first off i will say i am NO medical expert so this is just my opinion and it's possible im wrong BUT
i *think* the reason they dont really do u/s after 20 weeks or so is there really isnt usually a need and insurance companies wont pay for it.

i think i have heard some people think too many u/s can supposedly be harmful they claim but i think most people say it's a completely harmless procedure.

i had an u/s every week from like 33 or 34ish weeks on because they decided i was too small and i had an u/s and a biophysical profile done like every damn week.
one day i had two. they did one in the dr office on my 38 week appt and then sent me to the hospital because i had preeclampsia and then in triage they did another u/s to confirm the baby wasnt breech because they wanted to induce me even though i said they had just done an u/s that morning and the baby wasnt breech.

i also technically had an u/s the day i had an amnio done as that's how they see what they're doing

so yeah basically i had a million u/s when i was pregnant so i wouldnt worry about 3 :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

On the other hand, I'd worry about ultrasounds done late in pregnancy to do things like measure the size of the baby or to do biophysical profiles when there's no indication of a need. I think the biggest risk of u/s late in pregnancy is just false positives for problems. I also think you'll find there's a lot of variation in practice between offices than own a machine and those that have to send you out. That is a huge red flag to me. If it's not valuable enough to send you out for, it probably isn't all that important. I had two in my normal pregnancy (and one quick one to rule out breech when I didn't go into labor after my water broke), will probably just have one next time (20 week scan) because the nuchal translucency test seems unnecessary in the face of new genetic testing technologies and I didn't and won't ever need a dating ultrasound (I am that one woman the magic wheel is spot on for). In any case, if you are being offered any kind of potentially diagnostic testing, especially something that does not seem to be universal standard of care in your area, ask for a lot of information about what the test is for, what it might reveal, what kind of concern or follow up testing it might put into motion, and what kinds of actions they might recommend based on the results. That might help you make a decision about whether or not you want to consent to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ariann wrote:
I think the biggest risk of u/s late in pregnancy is just false positives for problems.

I agree. I see so many women being induced for things like oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid) who have healthy babies (and plenty of fluid when their water breaks in labor) but have complications from induction, most notably a 50% greater risk of c-section when it's their first baby. I would also be wary of a provider who never puts their hands on your belly to determine your baby's position late in pregnancy, but only uses ultrasound. I don't think that ultrasound causes harm to fetuses, but I think overuse is a warning sign of a provider who is not practicing according to the best evidence.

For my own pregnancy I made a decision that probably seems pretty extreme but is actually supported even by conservative ob/gyn professional organizations for normal low risk pregnancies (meaning not even having the risk factor of being age 35 or older). I didn't have a single ultrasound. However, if a pregnant person has no medical indications but just wants to have one anatomy ultrasound for whatever reason, that is also a reasonable choice. I am not someone who is anti-medical establishment, or whatever you want to call it. I think science is awesome! I am just astounded by the way it's acceptable in US maternity care (and apparently Canadian, too) to do so many expensive tests without a medical reason.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i guess what i was driving at is i wouldnt worry about the u/s physically harming the baby as that seemed to be your concern.

there are other reasons not to have tons of u/s as people have brought up.

i can say for me personally all the u/s they did on me did not help my mental health

i got to the point at the end where i was pretty sure they just enjoyed using all their fancy equipment.

so yeah ask your dr why the u/s are being done if your concerned and what the outcome could potentially be and what your choices would be.

you have the right to refuse the u/s if you dont feel they are necessary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mooo, is it felt that the information gathered from an anatomy scan (the usual 20 weeker) isn't that valuable for low risk women, or that there's such a low number of problems found that it isn't worth scanning everybody just to find the 1 in 1000 that will have an issue? Unlike apparently most mothers, I did not enjoy my ultrasounds at all. I thought they were really creepy and they felt invasive. If I felt good just skipping them entirely, I would, but I don't know what of value is gleaned from them really (and I said no to so much other "routine" stuff I started having to feel like I had to pick my battles!).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7738 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 310  Next