| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

That's how I feel about all of the blood tests and later the IV actually, but that's mainly because I hate needles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann, LisaPunk, moooo , you are all picking up what I'm putting down which makes me feel so much more normal. I too feel like these ultrasounds are getting invasive, I have been left alone from extra tests for most of this pregnancy and of course I want gpod care for the baby and me but yeah taking these side trips into adding biophysical profile of me and baby when I have not been told WHY will not be good for my mental well-being either, like one of you ladies said extra u/s was not gonna be good for yours. I thank you for the list of questions to ask Ariann, and I will be doing that becaise without any informative answers I qm left to speculate my own theories why they are dping this (she heard the babies heratbeat on the doppler on the doptone and told me it was fine but she also measured my belly and did NOT comment. I know I have lost weight during the pregnamcy, does she think I am measuring too small?) Yeah I just wish they would tell me , man...I will ask though. I have to keep it in perspective that I had a healthy baby before who is now a healthy thriving 12 year old and that none of these care providers know what was normal for me during that pregnancy as they don't have access to those medical records from another province. I however do remember how things work lol and what to do to keep the stress of which is soooo inportant and even my care providers now will know I have a need to do that as it can be medically shown that my 8-year stint with medicated and monitored severe hypertension is now no more through lifestyle changes on my part. Wanna keep it that way and I'm sure baby residing inside me wants me to keep it that way too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:12 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

For a lot of these routine tests, I found the book Expecting Better by Emily Oster really useful. It goes into the actual risks and benefits of a lot of pregnancy stuff, without giving actual recommendations (except in cases where the evidence is extremely one-sided, like smoking). I'm really hoping she comes out with a book about babies next, because I'd love to see better data on things like cosleeping, vaccines, feeding.

She's an economist who works with medical data, so it's her job to translate studies and things into actual risk and benefit profiles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I haven't read the Oster book, but it sounded like a good one. There's also the Evidence Based Birth site, but it hasn't covered many topics yet (but it has covered things like eating in labor, routine IV, u/s late in pregnancy to detect big babies - worth looking at). I read Henci Goer's old book (The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth), but I think a lot of it is outdated.

bastah, if you don't want pain relief, seriously just say no to the IV in labor. If you need antibiotics, you can get a heplock which will at least keep you from being tethered down the whole time. When I got into the second trimester I started saying no to any blood tests that weren't a) required by law (still aggravated about that), or b) demonstrably medically important (like monitoring my hypothyroidism or iron levels).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I read quite a few articles based on Oster's book (I think in Slate, maybe?) and I really liked them. Even though I was almost all the way through with my second pregnancy by that point it was so reassuring to read, and really backed up how I was already feeling about potential risks in pregnancy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mooo wrote:
The current recommendation is to get a tdap booster during each pregnancy. We only actually need it every ten years (unless you step on a rusty nail and haven't gotten a booster in 5 yrs) but giving it during pregnancy is a public health measure to protect newborns against pertussis by catching women when they're already seeing a healthcare provider. Giving it during pregnancy is fairly new so maybe your midwife is still offering it immediately postpartum instead.

Thanks! Hopefully I will remember to ask at my next visit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:34 pm 

I had a disastrous OB appointment today. My blood sugars were doing something funky last night, but I was working on it. There are about seven things I usually try before calling my endo to get some advice. My OB flipped out about the blood sugars. Threatened to hospitalize me. Sent an urgent note to my endo, and gave me a deadline. (If you don't achieve X by this time, I'm hospitalizing you.) She just generally raised my own anxiety levels.

I was concerned about the BS, and would have been even if I weren't pregnant. But I was following protocol. And I'm pretty sure this is all a result of pregnancy hormones. But the OB insisted that wasn't it because these particular hormones don't hit until 24 weeks and I'm only at 23 weeks, 4 days. Really.

And of course, after all this, the seventh thing worked. But not until I'd spent several anxious hours, missed some work, and packed a hospital bag just in case.

But the thing that annoys me is that I actually had a list of questions for the doctor that we never got to because she was freaking out.

So ready for this week to be over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 pm 

Oh man, I'm sorry, Mollyjade. I'm glad it all worked out though in the end (what was the solution?)

Did your due date get moved? It was June 26th, right? I just majorly freaked out and thought I was completely wrong with which week I was since I used to be 2 days behind you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:53 pm 

bastah wrote:
Did your due date get moved? It was June 26th, right? I just majorly freaked out and thought I was completely wrong with which week I was since I used to be 2 days behind you.

Yeah, it's June 26. I might be off by a day or two (it's hard to find calculators that count by the day!), but I'm within a few days of 24 weeks, so the idea that these hormones couldn't possibly be causing a problem is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:02 pm 

Oh, and fixing the problem just involved increasing the amount of basal (background) insulin I take. But before I do that, I have to rule out malfunctions with the pump, bad insulin, and a few other things. It's expected that these basal rates will need to increase in later pregnancy because hormones make everyone a bit more insulin resistant, so even if it's happening a bit sooner than usual, it's not unexpected. I also didn't follow the pattern for basal rates in the first trimester, so I won't be surprised if I'm not following the usual pattern completely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:03 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
bastah wrote:

Yeah, it's June 26. I might be off by a day or two (it's hard to find calculators that count by the day!), but I'm within a few days of 24 weeks, so the idea that these hormones couldn't possibly be causing a problem is ridiculous.

Here is a good one http://www.pregnology.com/faralong.php?month=6&day=26&year=2014

A good way to keep track is by remembering that every Thursday, you become 1 week further. I have to do this, because my own doctor's office gets my due date wrong (I had to correct them and they asked how I kept track and it's just by remembering that every Saturday I move a week further)

You're 23 weeks today, but I don't see how something magical happens with hormones during the 24th week on the dot, so that's just weird.

Last edited by bastah on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 pm 

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Mollyjade, I'm so sorry that happened to you. And it's completely stupid, because there's no magical date where everyone suddenly becomes more insulin resistant. There's no magical date where anything in particular happens for everybody. Why would an OB even think such a thing - hasn't she met a bunch of pregnant women already? And wouldn't a decades-long diabetic have a pretty good sense of the process that should result in panic? Yes, pregnancy is unique, but I'm sure this is not the only time something has gone wonky with your blood sugar and that's why you have an endocrinologist anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dang, mollyjade, sounds like a stressful day! Glad to hear things have calmed down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

sorry that happened to you Mollyjade...your doctor sounds like she is uncomfortable treating patients with diabetes...is she a newish doctor?

I have a vent...but I will put it here. My workplace suddenly decided that due to a "crisis" at a sister facility that we need two people a week to go out and work at this other facility. That means driving 2.5 hours one way, putting in a 6-8 hour work-day, and then driving 2.5 hours back to town. Now I am not going to lie, under no circumstances would I want to do this, but particularly when 7 months pregnant this sounds hellish. I was complaining with the rest of my co-workers about it and they all said that there was no way I would be put in the rotation becaues of the pregnancy (which hadn't actually crossed my mind before), so I emailed my boss and just asked if I was being put on the schedule and her response was what I expected, "well, I hadn't heard that your doctor had placed you on travel restrictions..." COME ON. And I do understand that a normal, healthy pregnancy probably doesn't REQUIRE restictions - but travel at this point is not comfortable. I have to pee all the time, sitting to long aggravates my back, I am already extra fatigued which I am sure will not be helped by extended hours away from home. Anyway, I am going to ask my midwife to "pretty please" put me on travel restrictions, but I don't actually see her agreeing to do it until later in pregnancy...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:19 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
sorry that happened to you Mollyjade...your doctor sounds like she is uncomfortable treating patients with diabetes...is she a newish doctor?

I have a vent...but I will put it here. My workplace suddenly decided that due to a "crisis" at a sister facility that we need two people a week to go out and work at this other facility. That means driving 2.5 hours one way, putting in a 6-8 hour work-day, and then driving 2.5 hours back to town. Now I am not going to lie, under no circumstances would I want to do this, but particularly when 7 months pregnant this sounds hellish. I was complaining with the rest of my co-workers about it and they all said that there was no way I would be put in the rotation becaues of the pregnancy (which hadn't actually crossed my mind before), so I emailed my boss and just asked if I was being put on the schedule and her response was what I expected, "well, I hadn't heard that your doctor had placed you on travel restrictions..." COME ON. And I do understand that a normal, healthy pregnancy probably doesn't REQUIRE restictions - but travel at this point is not comfortable. I have to pee all the time, sitting to long aggravates my back, I am already extra fatigued which I am sure will not be helped by extended hours away from home. Anyway, I am going to ask my midwife to "pretty please" put me on travel restrictions, but I don't actually see her agreeing to do it until later in pregnancy...

There are actually ARE travel restrictions I believe for all pregnant women 32 weeks and on. Think about it, if you go in to labor when you're 2.5 hours from home... Your midwife is going to write you a note for work, don't worry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

bastah wrote:
There are actually ARE travel restrictions I believe for all pregnant women 32 weeks and on.

What does this mean? There are airlines that strongly encourage pregnant women not to fly (usually it's restricted to the last month, and they still have to sell you a ticket if you want to go), but there's no such thing as a generic travel restriction (recommended or enforced by whom?) for pregnant women. Even pregnant women are generally allowed to move their bodies in the directions and lengths of times they so desire whenever they desire (except in crazy cases, like autonomy-violating pre-birth custody cases).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I work in a health setting so have access to journals and "uptodate" type literature and cannot find anything regarding recommended travel restrictions by air or car for uncomplicated pregnancies before 36 weeks. After 36 weeks I see recommendations for staying within a moderate distance of your delivering facility so I am SURE she will write me something for that point, but we shall see if she will do something before that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:42 pm 

Ariann wrote:
bastah wrote:
There are actually ARE travel restrictions I believe for all pregnant women 32 weeks and on.

What does this mean? There are airlines that strongly encourage pregnant women not to fly (usually it's restricted to the last month, and they still have to sell you a ticket if you want to go), but there's no such thing as a generic travel restriction (recommended or enforced by whom?) for pregnant women. Even pregnant women are generally allowed to move their bodies in the directions and lengths of times they so desire whenever they desire (except in crazy cases, like autonomy-violating pre-birth custody cases).

HA! I didn't know that got posted. I didn't mean to post it. I was looking up stuff and decided not to post it, but the point still stands that she could go into labor 2.5 hours from home.

I had read 32 weeks somewhere a while ago when looking up this stuff, but it was probably just about flying, not sure though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

2.5 hours could be a very short time or a very long time depending on your birthing pattern. I probably wouldn't worry about going that far away at 40 weeks, but I had a three day birth and was frolicking around the neighborhood after my water broke, so my perspective is a little skewed. I kind of hate the language of "restriction" related to pregnancy, though. There's medical advice that you can take or leave, but that's not the same thing as a "restriction" - a restriction is something enforced on you by someone who has power over you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:00 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
I work in a health setting so have access to journals and "uptodate" type literature and cannot find anything regarding recommended travel restrictions by air or car for uncomplicated pregnancies before 36 weeks. After 36 weeks I see recommendations for staying within a moderate distance of your delivering facility so I am SURE she will write me something for that point, but we shall see if she will do something before that.

Either way, it's still ridiculous that your boss wouldn't see an issue with it. I mean not that it's a necessity, but under normal circumstances, that commute would be a pain, so add pregnancy, and I just don't know why someone would find that acceptable to put that burden on someone. I'm guessing your boss has never been pregnant? I'm dreading my 1.5 hour daily commute, which seemed awful enough (luckily I can get a ride home most days, so it won't be 3 hours round trip). 2.5 hours sounds like a nightmare :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:19 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:

It's complicated? I guess. My doc is a high risk OB, and she's been practicing for years.

Part if this is, I'm not the typical person with diabetes. Only 5% of people with diabetes have type 1 diabetes. Which means that 95% (ish) of pregnant women with diabetes either have gestational diabetes or type 2 diabetes. Certain things (like DKA, which was the possible issue the other day), don't happen to people with type 2 or GD. Beyond that, people with type 2 and GD have little to no experience dealing with day to day blood sugar issues. Type 2s generally only look at long term trends, not day to day stuff. And people with gestational diabetes are newly diagnosed. And even for people with type 1 diabetes, I'm much more educated about treatment and proactive about making treatment adjustments than the average patient.

So my OB was dealing with something that probably doesn't come up that often, and she is used to dealing with people who wouldn't know how to self treat. Hospitalization might be a very good idea for some people in the same situation. It was just an overreaction in my case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:45 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

can I interest any of you lovely pregnant ladies in some baby clothes? I've really only saved some things we adored; I'm talking about mostly unisex stuff featuring guitars on them etc. And a Lemmy onesie and a Social Distortion onesie! My babies were both pretty teeny and these are things that fit them from early on up to like 9 months. PM me if you're interested and I'll just mail out like a big padded envelope from work or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm 

Latest A1c results just came in, and it's 5.6%. Hot damn! Makes me feel better about the abysmal blood sugars I've had for the past week. (Still struggling to get those overnight blood sugars anywhere near the acceptable range.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yay!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 310  Next