| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298 ... 311  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:32 pm 
Chip Strong

Pinko wrote:
Belated congrats, My Zoetrope! Your lucky baby will have the cutest nursery art!

Yes! I bought your calendar years ago and now have some of the prints up in my daughter's room!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

bastah wrote:
Congrats My Zoetrope!

OK, I need some help here. Those who passed the 1 hour glucose test, what did you eat beforehand and how long before the test did you eat it? All my anecdotal research shows that those who passed, ate eggs a couple hours beforehand (eggs have .5 grams of carbs) but those who ate things with the eggs did not pass (even just having milk). They say you can eat whatever before the test as long as it doesn't have sugar, but that's a load of crepe. I looked at hundreds of responses to what people ate and which of those people passed (it was on various forums online, so this isn't scientific). The thing is, I can't find a good vegan equivalent to eggs. Soy is NOT one. I'm so worried I'll have to eat eggs for this stupid thing so that I don't get a false positive. I swear that every super low carb food isn't vegan

I don't even understand this. Tofu is extremely low carb, tempeh is fairly low carb, seitan is very low carb, lots of commercial meaty things are low carb, unsweetened soy milk is even low carb. But you don't have to eat low carb before this glucose test anyway. Eat a light breakfast a few hours before if you need to and you'll likely be fine (if you don't pass, it may be that you need to be eating differently to manage that anyway, it's not the end of the world and the goal is not to figure out how to trick the test!). If you don't want to eat a light breakfast, just fast. Not eating = zero carbs. Do you think you're at high risk? The original intent of the pregnancy screening was to assess risk for lifetime type 2 diabetes, so if you have a lot of that in your family you are likely at higher risk. I gained 70 pounds during my pregnancy, was overweight to begin with, and ate a normal breakfast a couple hours before and passed with flying colors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mooo wrote:
Pinko wrote:
Belated congrats, My Zoetrope! Your lucky baby will have the cutest nursery art!

Yes! I bought your calendar years ago and now have some of the prints up in my daughter's room!

Aww, yaay! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think I ate a piece of toasted sprouted wheat bread with peanut butter before my GD test during my last pregnancy. Passed with flying colors. I was super worried about the test since I have a LOT of family members with Type II diabetes, as well as relatives who had GD.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Diabetes is very prevalent in my family too, I felt I would probably pass and I did because I'm on a healthy diet as opposed to all my family members who have diabetes and are very overweight. There were 2 different tests, one you could eat a small meal before and another one where you had to fast all morning they hardly ever used this test, they used the last one when you tested positive on the first one. The nurses told me basically to have a healthy breakfast before, but not too heavy and no candy bars or anything with a lot of sugar in it. In most cases when you test positive you only have to follow a healthy diet, only a few actually need to inject.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann wrote:
(if you don't pass, it may be that you need to be eating differently to manage that anyway, it's not the end of the world and the goal is not to figure out how to trick the test!)

O yeah, um, this too.

I'll add that though there's no history of diabetes in my family I'm pretty sure I fall into the category of very overweight and passed if that's a concern.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:49 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I don't think it's possible to trick the test and it's not what I'm intending to do at all. I'm not worried at all about having GD (I haven't gained a ton of weight and the baby and I are measuring small--not bad small though, 40th percentile. I also know that it's possible for there to be no symptoms of GD either though); I just don't want to take the 3 hour test. Like more than anything in the whole world. Far too many people get false positives on the test who are vegan and eat extremely healthy and all I'm trying to do is everything in my power to prevent a false positive. I'm going to make tofu scramble the night before and eat it at 5:30 am the next day just to give it two hours to digest before my test. My friend's aunt is a nurse in this field and she said to be extra cautious and just not to eat stuff with sugar for a few days before the test, so that's what I'm doing. Hopefully that will give me some peace of mind. I've heard not to do it on an empty stomach, and I would totally fast if it would help, but it won't most likely. Again, I'm not worried about getting a positive on the 3 hour test; I'm only worried about getting a false positive on the 1 hour test. That's all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am 
***LIES!!!***

I think it's not so much a false positive as it is a not very sensitive test, so they are trying to grab the people who are in a grey zone. The alternative, perhaps, is just to decline the test altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 am 

I'm thinking about declining the 3 hour test and just proceeding as if I had GD if I were to fail the first test.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, "screen" is really a better word than test. But I'd be surprised if you had a doctor willing to prescribe the appropriate supplies and such to treat GD without the three hour challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Fetus hiccups! So weird feeling!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm 

How can you tell its hiccups and what does it feel like?! I wonder if I've had that or not

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:41 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Dr. Google is what told me it's hiccups, so could be totally wrong. But it's a very rhythmic pulsing sensation low down in my abdomen, where baby's head is. Too rhythmic to be baby kicking. Doesn't feel like contractions. And slower than my pulse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:42 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I loved fetus hiccups, but definitely weird! My Mum always told me I had hiccups for about 4 months straight when I was in utero...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bastah wrote:
How can you tell its hiccups and what does it feel like?! I wonder if I've had that or not

Like a very regular twitch that is very regular that just starts up and ends all of a sudden.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm not sure if I've had baby hiccups or not! I know I do have a thumper though. My ancient navel piercing got infected* so as I was soaking it with a jar of sea salt water, something like this happened!

*Gross. But according to Dr. Google this is pretty normal since as the skin stretches out the piercing can get tiny tears. Has this happened to anyone else? I actually took the ring out something like four years ago!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:25 pm 

I think maybe mine has had hiccups too then?

madeleine.teacup wrote:

*Gross. But according to Dr. Google this is pretty normal since as the skin stretches out the piercing can get tiny tears. Has this happened to anyone else? I actually took the ring out something like four years ago!

Mine isn't infected, but it looks so gross. My piercing was probably taken out around 2008. Mine is definitely doing something funky too

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i feel like i wasnt allowed to eat before it but i dont remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:53 pm 
Chip Strong

I remember fetus Scarlett having hiccups 4 or 5 times a day! It was the one thing that gave me the most vivid sensation of there being an actual person in there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Fetal hiccups sound so weird!

My tummy can't decide whether it wants to be an actual little bump or just look like mega-bloat. I swear it's different every time I pass a mirror. I think i'm finally gonna give in and peruse the maternity clothing this week...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 am 
Married to the wolfman

bastah wrote:

It feels like when you have hiccups, except it's in your ute. That was my experience anyway! Both my kids had hiccups frequently in utero and during infancy. M had them for about 30 minutes a day every day before birth and I was astounded to find that this continued after he was born. It was so regular, and so weird!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, I loved baby hiccups. It took me a long time to figure it out too...thought I had a tap dancer in there. :) F was a crazy hiccupper as a baby too, but now, it's a really rare thing. Just a couple of days ago, after watching something about hiccups on television, she was laying down trying to make herself hiccup on purpose (which was freaking hilarious).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So just got back from my midwife appointment where she said I am suddenly measuring 3 weeks behind. I was right on target 3 weeks ago and no growth in the belly in the last 3 weeks. She was saying it could be just because I am tall or whatever but I am now extra stressed. I am having an US tomorrow to check things out. She said I need to be eating 100 freakin' grams of protein everyday now...I can't even...
I am sure I DO need to watch what I am eating more closely - but 100 grams?!!!This comes at a time where after the smallest nosh of something I feel extra full...

This poor child is getting flooded with all my stress hormones from the last 3 weeks...he will probably be a super neurotic individual.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, this is the last thing you need to hear right now, eh? I hope all goes well tomorrow with the u/s. Is the "measuring" you're referring to, the fundal height/bump measure? If so, that can really vary in the latter parts of pregnancy as baby moves around, so I'd take it with a grain of salt until you have further tests. As for the protein, 10-15 grams extra was what we learned in our nutrition class (about 20 extra for nursing moms). So, about 65g/day. 100 seems pretty excessive as a daily goal. Hm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

yes it is fundal height measurement - but she is a very experienced midwife so I would think that she would take into account if baby was transverse or what not...
and for the protein front I will say her diet advice has never been anything I listened to much too - she is very into low carb high protein but before she was saying the 70 gram per day...I really need to not suddenly turn off all my mental faculties when I hear bad news because I could have asked the reasoning behind the hike in protein had I not been in terror thinking about my poor tiny nutritionally starved baby...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298 ... 311  Next