| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7926 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 318  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I haven't checked this thread in a while! Love to all to new babies/mamas!

If I ever have another girl, her name will be Julia. It is an excellent name. :-)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:04 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Congratulations, MT! I love babies with lots of hair.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Heard the heartbeat which put me at ease. :D With my very first pregnancy I had a missed miscarriage. The fetus died at 9 weeks and we didn't find out till 11. When I had to go in for an ultrasound for a screening, a heartbeat wasn't found. It was very devastating because I was so close to the 2nd trimester and thought I was safe. Because my body didn't miscarry naturally and it was getting to a month, I had to have (and wanted because I just wanted it to be over and move on) a D&C. So I get a little paranoid in the first trimester. Not spotting does not give me any comfort because there was none with my first m/c

But today at 12 weeks we heard the heart beat and I feel like I can relax:) They found it very quickly too so I didn't have to feel nervous for too long. With my first child (2nd pregnancy) it always felt like they took forever to find the heart beat with the Doppler. My OB also only does ultrasounds at 20 weeks unless one is requested. (With my second pregnancy, they did one at 8 weeks because of the previous missed M/C.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Excellent Kal! I haven't had a miscarriage and I was still a nervous wreck and made my husband come to the first trimester US appointment with me in case they found bad news - I'm so glad things are going well for you this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

That is good news, Kal! I'm glad it went well and you can relax a bit now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yay Kal! That's awesome news. I have a good friend who's going through somewhat similar circumstances and just reached about the same point in her pregnancy!

Skipping a first trimester u/s is a little surprising to me since most midwives and OBs seem to want an accurate due date, in case the LMP isn't reliable. (I tend to have heavy implantation bleeding right around normal period time so i could probably very easily end up being wrong about dates in the event of an unplanned pregnancy) When I was pregnant with my older daughter I was super irritated because the army hospital didn't do a nuchal translucency screen unless the initial blood work came back high…but they did do a much lower res dating u/s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Congratulations everybody! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:07 am 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
Skipping a first trimester u/s is a little surprising to me since most midwives and OBs seem to want an accurate due date, in case the LMP isn't reliable. (I tend to have heavy implantation bleeding right around normal period time so i could probably very easily end up being wrong about dates in the event of an unplanned pregnancy) When I was pregnant with my older daughter I was super irritated because the army hospital didn't do a nuchal translucency screen unless the initial blood work came back high…but they did do a much lower res dating u/s.

AFAIK most insurance doesn't cover a dating ultrasound; my midwives behaved as if none did. I think that's half the reason the nuchal translucency U/S might be pushed hard, because it fulfills the purpose of getting dates while also being covered by insurance. Now that there are better genetic abnormality tests I'm sure I'll skip any future first trimester ultrasounds. My LMP dating was spot on anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 pm 

Week 12 and 13 have been the worst! I was hoping that first trimester symptoms would be decreasing, but starting at week 12 I have had a constant headache and have been lightheaded. My stomach also feels acidic and I've been very tired. I could barely get out of bed this morning and I took a nap in the middle of the day. I might go get tums. I've always been stubborn about taking medicine mostly out of laziness but I'll probably give in. There is still some nausea and the sight of onions still makes me nauseous. I just read that the second trimester technically starts at week 14. Next Saturday I'll be there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 pm 

32 weeks tomorrow. I think she has flipped? We shall see what the dr. thinks on Tuesday I guess. It's hard to tell what parts are what! One minute I think I have it figured it out, but then there will be a kick or movement out of left field that doesn't coincide with how I think she is laying.

My shower was a few weeks ago and it actually was quite lovely. No games! My mom and sisters threw a small family picnic with yummy food (mostly vegan) and tasty punch. I made four vegan pies and they were a raving success. People were NOT kidding when they said not to buy any clothing since guests will give outfits anyways. This little girl has so many clothes already! We don't have much left to buy at all; Just diapers really. I'm still figuring out what I want to do, and think that I am going to go to a local store of mine just to see things in person. I went through most of the giant thread here and took notes, but there is so much information on different types of cloth diapers!

Nursery is a work-in-progress, but the crib and dresser/changing area are all set up, and the walls are painted.

8 weeks left is like, whoa.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

glad your shower went well.
we seriously have barely ever paid for clothes for BabyPunk.

i dont know if it's even worse for baby girls (i had a very strict no pink or frilly shiitake too) but people LOVE to buy baby clothes.
we also get hand me downs from my best friend whose daughter is a month older.

thank goodness BP is so small that i get tons of use out of the clothes.

i want some pie!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:46 pm 

Yeah, I did well in avoiding the pink and frilly too!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:26 pm 

I feel awesome today! Barely any sickness, and food has never looked so wonderful! This actually started Thursday night but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a one day thing. I thought the first trimester sickness would never end! And I was worried that heartburn would persist through the entire pregnancy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 pm 
Chip Strong

Awww, thanks everyone! We're doing really well.

mollyjade, I'm pretty sure she'll have super curly hair like my sweetheart but time will tell!

coldandsleepy, the mystery is solved! My sweetheart's father has a cleft chin. I guess I just never noticed it? Oops.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm 

Hope all the new babes around here are doing well!

We busted through the to-do list this past weekend. Ordered pre-folds and diaper covers and other diaper-related paraphernalia, picked out some artwork/decorative things for the nursery, found a pediatrician and a had meet/greet with her today (went well. I even asked her how she felt about vegan or vegetarian diets in kids and she had no probs at all with it.) Went to an all-day childbirth class on Saturday that was actually amazing. I had really low expectations for it, since I've never really heard of anyone liking their childbirth class, but the instructor was awesome and I learned a lot. She is a doula who also has three kids of her own, twins born via c-section, and one born VBAC with an epidural, and she talked a whole lot about natural births so I felt like she gave it from all sides. Definitely felt a whole lot more "real" after the class though. Labor scares the crepe out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Whoa, way to check things off the list!

I went into labor thinking "one way or another, the baby is coming out" haha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm sorry you're feeling scared! Have you thought about hiring a doula, or are you having someone at the birth who's there just to support you and your partner? I think feeling safe and supported is so much more important to your long term feelings about your birth than the details of how and in what setting your baby came out. It can be really reassuring to at least know that one person will definitely be there. Birth is really hard, but you can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yay for getting through the checklist!

as far as being scared of labor i hear ya. i was terrified but one of the things i really took too heart from our childbirth class (hypnobirthing) was just to stay calm and breathe and labor is a natural process of your body.

the more scared you are the more your muscles constrict and the harder it will be.

everyone's labor is totally different and everyone's body is different so dont let anyone start jabbering their horror stories at you.

keep in mind the things that are important to you and just remember that things dont really ever go as planned but you can still have control over a lot of the process.

my labor went NOTHING like i planned but i was still able to get through it with a minimal amount of drugs. natural childbirth/drug free was very important to me so i REALLY didnt want an epidural. i had one shot of some painkiller and that was it.

so think about what's important to you and go with the flow. just when things crop up that are unexpected just take a deep breath and roll with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

madeleine.teacup wrote:

mollyjade, I'm pretty sure she'll have super curly hair like my sweetheart but time will tell!

BabyPunk mainly has hair exactly like mine (super baby fine and lots of it) but there are CURLS at the end of it. little cute ringlets and i was BAFFLED by them because my hair is bone straight and WILL NOT hold a curl no matter how much hair spray you put in it.

i was totally mystified by these curls til i remembered my husband's next oldest brother who keeps his hair longish and his hair is curly.

so i guess if my husband let his hair grow out his would probably be curlyish too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:46 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement! I have thought about hiring a doula (especially after seeing how awesome my instructor in the class was, and hearing her stories of births she has witnessed,) but ultimately I think I'm just going to stick with my partner and my family. I'm very close to my mom and my sisters and they are VERY excited. I know I will get a lot of support from them. I hope things go the way I anticipate, but know that in most cases it probably doesn't. Whatever happens, happens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 pm 

I was sort of afraid of birth with my first. I figured that if anything went wrong that they could just cut me open and pull the baby out that way lol. I had gestational diabetes so I was a bit concerned with him being very large and not fitting. But I was able to control the diabetes with diet (which was a pain in the asparagus btw but that's another story) and he only weighed 6 lbs 10 oz. Strangely enough, my biggest concern was the head because humans have large heads at birth compared to other animals. And I was more scared of bringing the baby home. The first few nights I kept checking on him when he would sleep to make sure he was still breathing. I had a huge fear of SIDs.

I had my sixteen weeks appointment Wednesday. Everything looked good. I had to get blood drawn and I opted for the quad screen. I didn't care for the lab tech that much. I think I was her last patient and she wanted to get home. She was kind of cold towards me, which was making me more nervous. My husband kept trying to cheer me up but he was making it worse because I couldn't hear the tech that well when she finally spoke to me. The tummy check was good. I worked with an OB I had never met because she was new at the clinic and I really liked her. She was very warm answered all my questions thoroughly. Next appointment is the big ultrasound!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

From my Facebook post last Thursday "Random late night post. So I was absolutely terrified about giving birth. I don't know if I told people this, but I thought Addie or I or both would die during the process. For all those months, I was majorly fearing delivery. As it turned out, her birth was the best and easiest part of pregnancy/delivery/post-pregnancy. I don't know if that means that it was easy peasy or if it's because everything else was extra difficult. And I'm sure it helped that she came out crying."

Hopefully that helps you somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That made me giggle a little, only because I secretly had those same thoughts. In fact, my good friend and I were due 2 weeks apart and we both (jokingly) agreed to nurse the other's baby if something happened. I'm sure the thought must run through a lot of moms' heads???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm 
Chip Strong

kdub wrote:
I'm sure the thought must run through a lot of moms' heads???

Yeah, it absolutely ran* through mine, too. I'm pretty sure it's a very normal fear.

*It practically galloped!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:05 pm 
Chip Strong

My Zoetrope wrote:
I hope things go the way I anticipate, but know that in most cases it probably doesn't. Whatever happens, happens.

My Zoetrope, I think that is a really good attitude to have. One of the best things I took away from my Mindful Birthing class is the idea of "don't know mind." Nobody knows what will happen. Little Nettle's birth started as I wanted (natural, no pain medication, non-intervened) and ended in what was basically the final end of my decision tree (general anesthesia, caesarean section). This was hard, I won't kid you, but I think it would have been much harder if I'd been completely rigid and inflexible in my considerations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7926 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 318  Next