| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: good gifts for a 2-year old?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anyone have any suggestions for great gifts for a 2-year old boy (my nephew)? His birthday and Christmas are coming up and I have no idea what to get him. He has two sets of grandparents who spoil him to no end, so he is really not lacking for toys. I've looked around online and everything I see that is recommended for kids his age looks like something he already has! Some of my favorite childhood gifts were beautifully illustrated copies of books from a favorite uncle, so that's my plan for when he gets older. He has a lot of books already too though! I want to be the Awesome Auntie who gives good gifts but I'm kind of clueless...Thanks!

Post subject: Re: good gifts for a 2-year old?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:04 pm 
Semen Strong

If he has a lot of things, would you be able to give him a really cool day to one of the play spaces near you? That way he could spend time with his Really Cool Aunt, and give Mom a break too - she'd probably appreciate time with you or a break alone, depending on what works best for your nephew.

There are several places near us and they're not super-pricey (like $10-20 pp) and the kiddos love them.

That would be my idea of an amazing gift - L has Too Many Things as well, and what I really appreciate is someone showing that they want to hang out with us and make some fun memories.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That's a great idea! I love giving Experiences rather than Things for gifts. It would definitely have to be an outing with Mom, since he is currently at a stage where he's SUPER clingy to her and would totally just freak out if I took him somewhere on his own. I don't see him that often so he's just like "who the hell is this lady?!" I went over to their house to pick up their dog for dogsitting, and he assumed that my presence meant that Mom was leaving, and spent the whole time screaming. Sigh. Someday we'll be friends!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:29 pm 
Semen Strong

You totally will! The Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia looks fun: http://www.pleasetouchmuseum.org

He may just play with one thing the whole time, but that can be superfun too. Toddlers are hilarious - we would take Leela somewhere *awesome* and she would spend the whole time on a toy she has at home. We were at World of Wings and she spent the whole time in the play kitchen and then we went to Animal Kingdom at Disney and she was in love with the Bone Yard, which is just a glorified sand pit.

When you're parenting a small child, its really nice when your friends want to go somewhere enclosed and safe, where you can both watch the kiddo play, without having to be right on top of them all the time, and still get some grown-up talk time in as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've actually been waiting for him to be old enough to go to the Please Touch museum! I want to go there anyway because the building its in is so interesting but it's not like I'm going to go there without a kid in tow!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

pixel, Tofulish is right on with her day-out suggestion, but I wanted to add that 2 years is not too young for lovely books! You can ask his parents if he still would be best off with board books or if regular are OK. But there are many many fantastic picture books with great illustrations that will be treasured for years. And his parents may shy away from buying hardcover copies due to the price, but they are sturdier and nicer, so that could be a good auntie-treat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

One can never have too many books :) I just bought a huge shipment of Usborne brand books for my two boys. They have one series of "busy" books (busy train, busy bug, busy bus etc) that is a large board book with a simple story and each page has a little track in it and the book comes with a plastic toy that you pull back and then it runs on the track. It is a book and toy in one! win win plus time spent with auntie reading it - win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the book suggestions! My main hesitation about that is he has a lot of books already. I don't think he has any of those Usborne ones though- they sound like fun!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh, to jump in here for some bonus two year old book advice, Westiebaby has a tonne of books, but I definitely believe you can't have too many! Her birthday and Christmas are a week apart and last year I got her this awesome 100 words book which she still absolutely adores nearly a year later, and On the night you were born.
I guess I'm looking for recommendations of books your 2-3 year olds can't get enough of, as I'd like to get her something special again this year...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tlish probably gave you the best idea.

a play space or a museum that is age appropriate for a 2 year old would be awesome.

BabyPunk is 18 months so not quite 2 but not terribly far and ive been around 2ish year olds and i would say some of the ones ive seen at the library and stuff seem to really like hand puppets.
blocks are always good. BP is OBSESSED with books so we literally could not ever have enough books.
trains seem to always be big with kids.

i bought BP some baby flash cards awhile ago because i literally cant keep up with her thirst for books and alot of time she just likes to fling them around or mix them up but sometimes she also will sit with me where i ask her where a certain one is (where is the car? where is the bear?) and she shows me. they are touch and feel and she still seems to like that. a 2 year old would probably have more verbal skills than her as she seems to be a bit behind on that at 18 months but it's the one thing that she really responds to with saying words. so unless the kid is light years ahead on the talking thing it's good for that (where is the apple? can you say apple?) you can also do colors with them.
BabyPunk is a total nerd though so some kids might not like the idea of the cards but she seems to enjoy them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

OWW, we have lots of books too and they're really a special treat as it's hard to get English-language childrens' books here.

Here are some of tiny wu's favorites--probably you have some of these already, but these are read constantly around here. She's super-into books about hats, colors, tigers, owls, and rabbits just now. Also, she totally lives for dramatic stories where she can explain how the main character is sad, and she feels sad too, but then have a happy ending. I'm not sure if that's a developmental thing or just her personality, though.

Little Owl Lost and Shh, We Have a Plan by Chris Haughton
Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte Zolotow
Wow! Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood
Shall I Knit You a Hat? A Christmas Yarn by Kate Klise
Little Owl's Night by Divya Srinivasan
Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown
The Tiger Who Came for Tea by Judith Kerr
The Runaway Bunny and The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown
I Am a Bunny by Ole Risom
Bunny's Blue Blanket by Tatyana Feeney
Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson
The Odd Egg by Emily Gravett
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

Some of those are shorter/ fewer words per page and available as board books; some are more picture books for older kids. But we read them all A LOT. Aside from the Richard Scarry and Shall I Knit You a Hat? they're all really lovely to look at, in my opinion, and stand up to grown-up scrutiny.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh wow, thanks Scandinavegan that's an awesome list! I love the recurring themes hehe
I love Emily Gravett and have been meaning to look up The Odd Egg - her 'Dogs' book is one of Westiebaby's faves.
Will definitely look up some of those, thanks! : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BP's favorite books change and some of them are specific to her (for example one has her favorite stuffed bear as a character and she also loves the guinea pig books we have as we have pet guinea pigs). but she LOVES dinosaurs and this one is a about a vegetarian T rex which is kindof cool

http://www.amazon.com/Linus-Vegetarian-rex-Robert-Neubecker/dp/1416985123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416504076&sr=8-1&keywords=linus+the+vegetarian+t-rex

it's pretty light hearted. the girl goes to the museum of natural history and claims she knows ALL about dinosaurs and meets a vegetarian t rex and is baffled by him and he saves her from velociraptors.

it's cute and the art work is neat. i cant stand the Pete the Cat books even though both my husband and Charlotte like them because the artwork is just so unbelievably terrible.