| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you censor books as you read them to your young kids?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

I know, I know. Censorship is not so hot. But you'd be surprised the amount of times you come across words like "stupid", "fat", "ugly", and "dumb" in kids' books. I try to change them to things like "silly" or "big", or leave them out entirely. What do you do?

Post subject: Re: Do you censor books as you read them to your young kids?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:49 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I usually try to avoid reading the kiddo stories with a lot of that kind of language in them, but I do censor when appropriate. Most often, I censor when there is a food discussion that clearly mentions the name of a dead animal, and I will refer to it as something else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

I used to censor all kinds of stuff. Sometimes it was god talk. Sometimes it was just shitty writing. Parents' prerogative.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my kid and I read Huckleberry Finn together a few years ago and let me tell you, every time the N word came out of my mouth or her mouth i thought I was going to be ill, but without the N word there would be no discussion of the N word, and without discussion she doesn't learn about what it means, and what kind of weight it has, and why it's not something to be thrown around lightly. So no, I don't censor, but my kid is old enough that we can have discussion (after all, we're quakers, we have to talk everything to death).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, I have come across this and I usually make something up like "be quiet" instead of "shut up!" which is in a favorite Thomas the Tank Engine book.
I would read things as is if I thought it was age-appropriate, like we could talk about how it's hurtful to use certain words, but at 2, I don't think we're there yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If you mean do I skip words I can't pronounce........than totally!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
my kid and I read Huckleberry Finn together a few years ago and let me tell you, every time the N word came out of my mouth or her mouth i thought I was going to be ill, but without the N word there would be no discussion of the N word, and without discussion she doesn't learn about what it means, and what kind of weight it has, and why it's not something to be thrown around lightly. So no, I don't censor, but my kid is old enough that we can have discussion (after all, we're quakers, we have to talk everything to death).

My father was an English teacher. He read us Huck Finn when I was pretty small.

He got about five chapters in reading it as "black" before he decided it was time to talk about it. I don't remember how old I was, but I can't have been older then 12, and was probably closer to 10. It impressed upon me the weight behind that particular word to the point where even now watching something like The Wire it still makes me uncomfortable.

I think as far as "dumb" or "fat" go, it's important to keep it in context of the books. If it's Roald Dahl, that's one thing, because he's got a point. If it's, I dunno, The Nickelodeon Book Of Cheaply-Produced Product Tie-Ins, that's another. I think I'd rather skip that kind of thing overall...

In the end, though, context is all. I am anticipating ("looking forward to" is too strong a phrase) having all kinds of that kind of talk with the dude when he's old enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

kids books are a minefield! for parents who are pagan vegans, there are all sorts of things to avoid, as well as all the negative crepe that is written in kids books. you should see me at the local library pre-reading all books before we borrow making sure there are no santa clauses or meat-eating binges or horrible weird behaviours being celebrated. the latest crepe one we have received is "the black dog" by pamela allen...who usually does great childrens stories...but this one is about a girl and a dog and the girl becomes obsessed with this imaginary bird and neglects the dog, so the dog goes out and jumps out of the top of a tree and almost kills himself to get her attention. story ends with the girl realising how much she loves the dog. it was a gift, but i'm thinking of chucking it out. what kind of lesson is that? if someone doesnt love you, throw yourself out of a tree and they'll realise how much they love you because you're dying?

so short answer, yes, i censor a fair bit. but my son is only 2...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I definitely censor if it involves eating dead animals. I haven't come across anything else, but I wouldn't hesitate to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 am 
Inflexitarian

Yeah, I try not to read them total crepe. And as they get a little bit older I'll definitely have conversations with them about the things I disagree with in books, rather than censor them.
As some examples, they love Dinosaur Roar, but it describes one of the dinosaurs as fat, so I just change that to big. Another dinosaur book, Patrick's Dinosaurs, calls the tyrannosaurus ugly, which isn't a word I want in their vocabulary right now, so I just leave the "ugly" out. And in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, he says he hates a few things, and I change it to "I don't like".
Oh yeah, they also love Thomas books. Joe sends them the UK versions of the stories, and Sir Topham Hatt is called The Fat Controller over there, and I just change that back to Sir Topham Hatt. And Thomas says, "It's all my fault" quite a bit. At first I didn't change that, and one time Zola got upset about something and said that it was all her fault, so now I've been changing that to, "I made a mistake."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When Shae was in kindergarten, he got really upset with his teacher for using the "F word over and over and over". She knows better vocabulary than that, mom!

Turns out they were doing the nursery rhyme that ended with "The big fat Hen". haha.

It's not like we had made a big deal out of it. Just a cursory, "That's not really a nice word".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
Oh yeah, they also love Thomas books. Joe sends them the UK versions of the stories, and Sir Topham Hatt is called The Fat Controller over there, and I just change that back to Sir Topham Hatt. And Thomas says, "It's all my fault" quite a bit. At first I didn't change that, and one time Zola got upset about something and said that it was all her fault, so now I've been changing that to, "I made a mistake."

Oh gosh, Dax started saying "it's all my fault" in the saddest voice a while back, and I had no idea where he got it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 am 
Nooch of Earl

Well, the FA community tends to use "fat" as a descriptive term, not a pejorative. No kids and no reading yet (despite my mother in law's suggestion that I read aloud to my fetus), but I think the problem with the word "fat" in children's literature and media in general is that fat is used as a shorthand for certain negative personality traits. I don't know that changing the word will hide the message, if the book has illustrations.

I have to say, though, I was exposed to a lot of stuff that I don't agree with now or maybe didn't then, whatever, I got through it OK. I am grateful that my parents did not try to keep us from reading things.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 am 
Baking In The Flavor

FootFace wrote:
I used to censor all kinds of stuff. Sometimes it was god talk. Sometimes it was just shitty writing. Parents' prerogative.

this
and "stupid" and "fat" only because those are words that Ruby uses sometimes and it makes me cringe. but then again I have self esteem issues.
I had to hide a Snow White book Ruby chose from the English library here because it was SO incredibly bad I couldn't read it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I was thinking about this kind of thing but for movies and TV the other day. I was wondering if parents like those of you that censor things (like I would also do) feel the need to pre-watch everything your kid watches. I feel like that would get to be way too time-consuming, but damn sometimes I watch a movie that is supposed to be good for kids and I am just shocked! Never mind all the meaty minefields...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

I always (well, not always) read the Parents' Guide thing at IMDB. Most of what they list seems very silly to me (this [male] character walks around with his shirt off), but these people are so thorough that I find the write-ups very useful.

As an example, here's the Parents' Guide for WarGames, a movie I love(d), and which I watched with GG not too long ago.

Parents' Guide wrote:
Sex & Nudity
Quick mention of sex in biology class talking about plants and asexual reproduction, followed by a student making a joke regarding the teacher's sex life.
Mild scene of teenage characters kissing.

Violence & Gore
One soldier draws his gun at another, but no shots are fired.

Profanity
Mildly frequent "shiitake" and derivatives. Several "hells," "damns," "god-damns," and a "peas."

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
No alcohol or drugs. There is cigar and cigarette smoking and tobacco chewing.

Frightening/Intense Scenes
Mild scenes of fugitive teenage characters being pursued by soldiers and police.
Characters face a possible end-of-the-world scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I think I will probably pre-watch movies and shows before I let kai watch them. As a psychologist (and feminist/pacifist etc.) I'm just super vigilant about this sort of thing. I haven't run into any problems with books yet, but I'm sure I'd try to weed things out there too. I didn't know that about Thomas being so full of shame! How sad.

When he's old enough that we can discuss things, then I'll be more lenient (and eventually trust him to make his own decisions in the library and such). But in these early formative years I really want to be careful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:24 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I totally do. Mean words (fat, ugly, stupid, etc) and whatever else I deem necessary at the time. My mom sent me this tiny Richard Scarry book for her and there were 2 pages of stuff to buy at the store and most of it was meat so I taped the pages together so you can't even tell it's missing. And in Yucky/Yummy I took a piece of tape and wrote "tofu" on it and put it over "fish" in fish sticks.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

I couldn't stand Thomas. I thought it was so depressing. And the characters were so unpleasant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I haven't run into this problem yet, but I totally sing "This little piggy wants tofu, this little piggy wants none!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I do this with my nanny charges even. Mean talk (shut up and the like) sometimes gets censored, but it depends on context. We edit out text indicating that animals are for people to eat sometimes too, and some of the sexist nonsense that shows up in character books particularly, gets tossed (sometimes the whole book).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I am surprised how often I have to change things in books! I have got to start re-reading our books before I read them with Greta. In Stella Luna I had to change the whole scary part about the mama fruit bat possibly being eaten by an owl the other day. Today I had to change the part in Children of the Forest where the father kills the poisonous snake to save the children. I just don't want her to worry about these kinds of things yet--parents dying shouldn't be on a little kids radar for as long as possible. I certainly don't want her to think that it is okay to harm an animal (even a scary one) either. She has outgrown board books, though, so we are encountering more "big kid" issues in her books more and more.

Appifannie, I love your page-taping idea! I used to always catch my mom when she tried to skip pages. There are definitely some pages I would like to have disappear from our books, though, so I am going to try it out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 pm 

mittenmacher wrote:
I haven't run into this problem yet, but I totally sing "This little piggy wants tofu, this little piggy wants none!"

Haha funny, I say this little piggy wants roasted veggies.

And I just remembered I did already run into this. I almost bought Kai a Peter Rabbit book for Easter, because it came with a really cute puppet and I was looking for a good puppet to entertain him. Well, I checked out the story first and was horrified to see the farmer's wife made Peter's father into pie! There is actually a picture of his father as pie! what the fizzle.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I had the tale of Peter Rabbit on a record when I was little and I loved it. I don't remember that part at all though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 pm 

Actually now that I think about it, I could use appifannie's great idea to just tape the pages together. Other than such a scary thing happening to his dad, the rest of the book is really cute.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I probably read a lot of horrific things when I was little and as I got older. I remember reading VC Andrews whole series Flowers in the Attic when I was like 11. I know you are talking about much younger children. I just remember completely skipping over the tween books and going straight to adult novels. My parents never really cared about it. I think I will be a lot more watchful over my children.