| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Babyproofing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I didn't find much searching this topic, so feel free to point me to the right place and delete this if it's already here.

Any tips on cheap ways to babyproof? Anything the usual advice misses or things you didn't think to do?

Post subject: Re: Babyproofing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think it really depends on the personality of your kid. my house is barely baby proofed because BP doesnt get into things or climb.

for actual baby proofing just make sure places where the baby will actually be are secured. so we used a co sleeper so we had to make sure it was secure against the bed. eventually she came into our bed so when we moved the cosleeper we got one of those railing things mostly because i was afraid she was going to roll off the bed if she was on that side. so just making sure you have a safe place to put the baby when you cant be holding it (crib, pack n play, swing, bouncy seat, floor works fine if you have no pets).

we have two largish dogs and one i was worried about how he would do with her so i made sure they both had a spot they could retreat to and be alone/safe if they needed it (one has a crate and the other a little den area in between our couch and the wall. and early on i would tether the one to our banister by his "house" (what we call his den) if we had her on the floor or something. and eventually as everyone settled in we slowly allowed him closer. in the end it didnt matter because he was more afraid of her than we were of him being near her and he just stayed away.

once they start to get mobile and grabby you just want to make sure you dont have anything breakable/sharp/swallowable within reach. once they start pulling themselves up on things you want to make sure everything is stable. we got rid of two rickety bookshelves that were upstairs. (one even had nails sticking out of it in the back! fun!).

we bought some padding stuff to go around the edges of our rectangle coffee table so if she fell she wouldnt bash her head on it and same thing with the brick hearth around our wood stove.

the things i would recommend the most are the padding to go around anything like a coffee table or brick hearth, those plastic thingies you put in electrical sockets, and locking kitchen cabinets.

we literally only locked 2 cabinets in our kitchen because she just doesnt get into things. i locked the cabinets under the sink where all the cleaning products/chemicals live and moved everything hazardous into that cabinet (i had a few bathroom cleaners in the bathroom) and i locked one other cabinet that had a guillotine like bagel cutter. she's never ever tried to open either cabinet but i felt it would be stupid to not lock the chemical one. when she gets taller and better at opening the doors i will have to address our hall closet/medicine closet that has tons of pills and meds in it.

the other thing is baby gates. we have a split level house so we have one really sturdy/solid baby gate at the stairs that go down to our garage. im glad its a good solid one because when she gets mad because she doesnt want to come inside or for whatever crazy reason she wants to stay downstairs (in the basement where there is nothing) she will like repeatedly rattle the gate trying to wrench it open.)

i feel like baby proofing is such a misnomer. you really dont need to do anything for the acutal BABY except making sure the baby equipment you will be using is secure and put together right. really what you need to "proof" for is toddlers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Baby fences were very helpful for us. You can close off entire sections of a room that way. Only a problem if your kid decides to climb them, because they will potentially fall on their heads and take the whole fence with them. My kid climbs everything, but it never occurred to her to climb the fences. Baby gates on most doors are also helpful, because you can make one space super safe and then be able to lock them in there with you and not be worried about chasing them throughout the house that might be less safe. We tried to just make a couple good spaces really safe and the rest were just off limits (just close the bathroom door, for example, it takes forever for them to learn how to open a door). In the kitchen, unless your kid is super strong, I wouldn't bother with an oven lock. We locked up cabinets with dangerous things and then moved breakable stuff up to higher cabinets so she could get into all the other low cabinets and just play with stuff (pots and pans, tupperware, etc).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ariann wrote:
We locked up cabinets with dangerous things and then moved breakable stuff up to higher cabinets so she could get into all the other low cabinets and just play with stuff (pots and pans, tupperware, etc).

Yeah, I think it's really nice to have "safe" things for kids to play with in the kitchen. I did use a lot of cabinet locks since it just wasn't feasible for us to put all dangerous/breakable things up high, but I made sure a some of the cabinets/drawers were OK for the kids to get into.

To babyproof our gas stove, we took the knobs off and store them nearby so kids couldn't turn the stove on.

Gates are pretty essential, I think. It's nice to have a space that is blocked off and baby proofed enough that you can relax with your kid(s) and not have to be too vigilant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My kids were really different. My oldest never got into anything and would stop if you said "no" and never go back to that thing, my youngest is into everything and thinks it is really fun to go after things he knows he isn't supposed to have. I would wait before installing all the childproof devices to see if you have a laid back kid or not. I would of course put the chemicals up in a high cabinet with a lock and make sure the kitchen knives are out of reach etc, but before going crazy with all the latches on every cupboard...I would wait and see! We also took the knobs off our stove and we lay all our dining chairs on their sides so they can't be pushed and used as stepstools.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:14 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

We did a lot of closing doors. We put the baby gate so it blocks off the stairs, kitchen, and office, so we didn't have to do anything in those rooms. We didn't do any cabinet locks until later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:31 pm 
Chip Strong

The most important thing after what everyone else said is to not trust your babyproofing too far! They learn so fast, a room that was completely safe last week may not be today. Our latest piece of childproofing was to start locking the storage room where we keep tools, because five-year-olds want to Build All The Things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah the kitchen is a super fun place for kids so dont lock all the cabinets. we have one big cabinet with two doors that open and the top shelf of the cabinet pulls out on wheely things and i dont think BP ever learned how to slide the drawer out but for the longest time playing in that particular cabinet was the BEST THING EVER. it had two sauce pot type pots in it with lids and she would cram her toys in that, take them out, relocate all her toys in the cabinet, take them out, put them some place else, etc.

the wait and see advice is good because you dont want to spend a lot of money and effort and find out you have a kid who doesnt get into anything. or you may baby proof some stuff and find your kid really wants the other stuff you didnt baby proof. i would say some simple common sense stuff like electrical sockets and locks on cabinets wtih chemicals or medications is a good start and after that take it as it goes.

the one thing im worried about this summer is our really sad excuse of a deck. we dont use it a lot because it's literally 2 feet wide but sometimes in the nice weather if it's not buggy out we can sit out there for dinner but there is a giant staircase there and no gate. BP is almost 3 so she can walk up and down stairs fairly well but this one is a super tall one. she hasnt yet realized how easy the screen (sliding) door is to open and hasnt taken any interest in the doggie door in the screen door so we'll see how this spring/summer goes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh i forgot about stoves, ours didnt matter because the knobs are on the top of the stove against where the wall is but for ones where the knobs are more on the front i have heard they sell some sort of padding thing thing or something you put on it so the kids cant turn the knobs. the taking the knobs off and putting them nearby is also a great (and cheaper!) suggestion.

BP can just know reach her hands up to the stovetop and im a bit paranoid about that when im cooking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here's something I still sometimes forget: guests should always put their purse/bag/whatever out of reach when visiting. My older daughter once took some prescription diabetes medication since my mother left her bag on the ground and somehow in only 2 minutes my kid managed to get a pill out of the purse and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:17 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband and I are so different on this, so I think babyproofing can be so different based on your level of fear. I think we totally overbabyproofed, because Brett bought tons of soft foam to put on every corner of anything sharp so she couldn't bump her head on anything. I think kids are resilient and they learn. He also plugged all our outlets which was a giant pain, and I don't get the utility, because babies have crappy manual dexterity and their fingers don't fit in the holes, so I think it's just a way to make life harder when you need to plug things in. We did the stove, which she never showed any interest in. I think I spent a lot more time with her, so I had a better sense of what she could and couldn't do, and I decided early on, that I'd be okay if she bumped her head or even broke a bone, in favor of her exploring her own world and feeling body confidence there. I think it makes most sense to watch your kid, and babyproof for where they are at.

We both agreed on baby gates on the top and bottom of the stairs, which we still have. Leela once fell down a flight of stairs because she wasn't paying attention when I was with her (just a step in front), so I still don't have complete faith in her and our very narrow staircase. We also blocked off the kitchen and have kid locks on the bathrooms, because otherwise our house would be flooded regularly. We also have a superhigh bed and have bedrails, which I think are necessary for rolling kiddos.

The only babyproofing thing I wish I had found was a good fridge lock. All the reviews said they break super easily, and the only thing that has any particular fascination for Leela is the fridge.

Helbury's point about purses is a really good one.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:41 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My first 2 kids were like professional art thieves the way they could bypass child locks and baby gates and climb out of the playpen! Vax is the only kid I have who hasn't mastered escaping from the baby gate.

Ikea makes a nifty child lock for drawers that you drill/screw in. I use it on the cutlery drawer because Vax started going after my knives.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Baby gates at the top and bottom of stairs are important o us. We didn't use those plastic plug covers until a kid because interested in them and then we used them. We put cleaners up high. I even need a step ladder to get to them. Elliot once squirt some method cleaner in his mouth while I was cleaning but it turned out fine. I am super adamant about that stuff being out of reach. We put all the knives and sharp stuff at the back of the counter in a wooden kitchen bucket. I let them have access to the silverware because nothing is sharp. Both my kids use their stools and climb to get to everything so we have to just put stuff up high and not show too much attention to it. When E was 2 he could even get to the medicine cabinet above the sink by climbing so we put a lock on that. We never used bumpers or anything. We have a round coffee table but they still are wild and fall into it, it happens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:52 am 
Chip Strong

Tofulish wrote:
He also plugged all our outlets which was a giant pain, and I don't get the utility, because babies have crappy manual dexterity and their fingers don't fit in the holes, so I think it's just a way to make life harder when you need to plug things in.

We'll definitely plug our outlets since I tend to leave knitting needles lying around...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Definitely anchor furniture. We read this and then anchored everything in our house we thought might fall over.

http://www.meghanshope.org

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk