| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela walked over to another kid today and wanted to play with him. He was 13 months old, and with his family. We were all in Union Square and she just decided that he should be her friend. So she took off, stood in front of him and tried to get him to walk with her. Then she tried to get the adults and the older children to throw the ball to her. It was insanely cute. She has no way of catching a ball - at home we roll them to her.

Also, she does this dance where she holds onto something and shakes her butt as hard as she can. Its hilarious. I try and video it, but laugh too hard.

I haven't heard her Woody Woodpecker laugh in a few weeks though. It will be the first stage that I really miss.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LB, isn't the cuddling awesome?

ETA: The other new thing Malka does now is lay down on her face and whine and cry when she's irritated or sleepy. It's cute/annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish, grey made a friend that way! Her name is jade and we were at the park one day and she came up and just started hugging on him. They have been buddies ever since, that was in may!

Ariann, the snuggling is awesome! Grey also lies on the floor, but he doesn't whine, he will look over and get this mischievous smile and then take off again.

And I forgot to mention his wookie noises!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician has made the leap from taking 1-2 unassisted steps mostly when he wasn't paying attention to purposefully taking 4-5 steps at a time. Whoa. He has also started signing two words-- milk when he's nursing and food if he's in his high chair and wants something. And we think he is saying mama now. He howls what sounds like mama while lunging at me, especially when upset.... And he doesn't seem to address anyone else this way.

He has had kind of a big week for stuff.

The Emperor's had a big week or two too. We've noticed a big change in how he plays pretend. Instead of just playing as himself, he plays as characters-- he makes Mousie talk, then Pirate takes a turn to talk, etc.

He also had a really big fall yesterday and banged his face up badly. He looks like he has a mustache.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

zaffy shared her apple core with her friend arjuna yesterday, it was so cute! arji's still to young to sit up, she was holding it at his mouth while he licked it with excitement, it was hilarious, i think it was the first time he's tried apple. she was totally loving being the bigger kid for a change. oh, and she got a TOOTH yesterday! how could i forget? so awesome. i think that is why i just also got a bout of mastitis :/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The Magician is one amazing kid!

Ouch md..we've just had one break through on Tuesday night/Wednesday a.m. too. I think one of my boobs may just fall right off.

We seem to be hitting that "oh my god this is happening so fast" phase in full stride. The past ten days have brought joys like F reaching out her cup to toast with ours and stacking blocks with pride. Walking/cruising as much as she can...practically jumps off our laps already.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i'm so sad at how much tzipi's face has changed. and also happy? it's that bittersweet feeling of your baby suddenly being a big girl. she looks at me, and i don't even recognize her sometimes!

in other news, she's doing this cute/annoying baby play thing these days. she brings me a blanket and asks to be a baby... so i have to wrap her up tight and cuddle her and sing her a lullaby while she pretends to be a baby. working out some big sister stuff, huh? the baby talk/babbling thing is not so cute, the cuddling is adorable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
i'm so sad at how much tzipi's face has changed. and also happy? it's that bittersweet feeling of your baby suddenly being a big girl. she looks at me, and i don't even recognize her sometimes!

in other news, she's doing this cute/annoying baby play thing these days. she brings me a blanket and asks to be a baby... so i have to wrap her up tight and cuddle her and sing her a lullaby while she pretends to be a baby. working out some big sister stuff, huh? the baby talk/babbling thing is not so cute, the cuddling is adorable.

Ha ha. We play baby all the time, it's one of E's favorite pretend games. I do think it's a processing thing, just figuring out what the hell babies are all about and stuff.

I hear you on the face thing too.

Also, here is an extremely short video of the Magician hopping:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zephyr is now just over three months old, and he already weighs around 18 pounds! And he is laughing now. He is seriously growing up so fast!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:53 pm 

Oh my god, my ten month old doesn't weigh much more than that!

On that note, some of you may remember I was worried about babynut's weight. Well, we had her wellness check a couple weeks ago and she had gained so much the doctor had her weighed on a second scale to make sure the first one wasn't off. I'm so glad we stuck with breastfeeding and trusted our guts that she was doing just fine.

Right now I've got a double whammy of teething and a cold. She's miserable so I am too, unfortunately. She's never been sick before so we are really lucky, but damn! This sucks!

The cold came on not long after we got a membership to the children's museum a few blocks from our apartment. She loves going there, I thought that it was going to be perfect for play options in the winter, but now I'm worried its a germ factory. I guess we will have to get better about washing hands.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh, poor babynut. I hope she's feeling better soon! My experience is that a) any place with a lot of kids is a germ factory but b) after a few months of going to the same place with the same kids, your kid becomes pretty much immune to most of the crepe going around in that circle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:57 pm 

Ditto to what c&s said. It's the same with kids in childcare...the first few months are often sniffle-filled, but then it gets better.

Yay to babynut gaining weight. I think you guys should be really proud of sticking to your guns!

The Magician hopping = so funny I had to watch it twice! He looked quite happy with himself. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 am 
Semen Strong

Oh hurrah for babynut gaining weight! Its so good to hear! I hope she feels better and can come and meet us on Saturday (Can you believe its already mid Oct?)? Supposedly the average baby gets 10 colds in their first year, but the good thing is that their immune systems are coming on line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 am 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Supposedly the average baby gets 10 colds in their first year, but the good thing is that their immune systems are coming on line.

Ten? I heard 5. Malka had RSV at 2 months and maybe one more little cold in the second half of the year, but since she's turned one, it's constant sniffles and coughing - kind of impossible to say if it's teething or a perpetual cold, but it's really getting old!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 am 
Semen Strong

Yeah, L is a sniffle machine. It gets better, then worse, then better. What sucks is I don't feel like I want to go to our ped after her stupid comments about allergies. I know she's going to suggest allergy testing, but it seems highly bogus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The hopping! OMG the hopping! so cute! wolverine is completely obcessed with drums and music right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We haven't mentioned the constant cold to the pediatricians except to call them once and ask if we could give her drugs - they suggested ibuprofen (in case it was teething causing it) and benadryl - I don't know that either were at all helpful, but we're also bad about giving the drugs earlier enough to be effective at bed time. She doesn't seem to be in pain at bedtime, the real problem is 5 hours later when she's hacking up a lung, kicking me in the head, and sleep-crawling/moaning all over the bed. I wonder if we come back to them with this they'll suggest allergies, but I kind of doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Our ped is good at some things and terrible at others, but she is the one most of my crunchy friends go to, so I am nervous about switching to someone even less helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
Our ped is good at some things and terrible at others, but she is the one most of my crunchy friends go to, so I am nervous about switching to someone even less helpful.

Just because most of your friends go to this ped doesn't mean she is the right one for you and Leela. I have a bunch of non crunchy friends who use the same ped as you guys and they all seem to complain about her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:26 pm 

In between butt shuffling around the house, pointing the remote control at the stereo, rearranging the Tupperware drawer, discovering fridge magnets, feeding the ducks and trying to hug every dog in the county, we took a little pause for this moment today: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... tif_t=like

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 pm 

Freya is 11 months old today! We spent a nice day (after a not so restful night....how does she do it?) feeding the ducks at the park, a small bit of grocery shopping including nibbling some of the warm from the oven bread at the bakery, making all sorts of music and spending the afternoon with Baby G (who's now 5). Tooth number 5 busted through yesterday, number 6 is one she's been working on for ages..can see the white right there under the gum.

This week, she has been incredibly interested in the Halloween decorations. We had to stop lighting any candles during her waking hours because she just can't handle it..can NOT focus on anything else. Now, she's mostly in love with a skeleton hanging on the door and a floaty ghost outside on the trellis. Also in love with a Halloween song that prominently features the word "boo". Laughs hysterically. Also loves rolling around this pumpkin that we got at (sigh) the supermarket one day. I have never bought a grocery store pumpkin, but there she was, squealing with glee and shaking all over. We'll hit the pumpkin patch tomorrow though too. :)

K just said at dinner tonight "she seems so big all of the sudden", and indeed that seems to be true. These past 6 weeks, she is morphing slowly into a child and not a baby. Eek! Her speech is sharpening already and her vocabulary continues to grow. Yesterday, in the car listening to the 5 Little Ducks I hear "kack kack kack" and then giggles. We've heard it several times when we've been talking about ducks at the park, etc. but this was sort of independently produced. We're up to I think 8 words now: Pappa, dog, cat, hello, no, quack, go and something representing Jemima (stuffed animal). We've also heard some random utterances of "yes" "more" and "there you go/here you go" (I say this an awful lot). Sadly no mommy yet.

She is re-obsessed with kissing, dances like mad when we sing "Get Down Tonight" or the Ghostbusters theme, is starting to actually have hair, loves loves reading books, is experimenting with throwing a ball instead of rolling it, loves to go superfast on the saucer at the playground, lifts up my shirt to poke me in the belly, does a sort of modified crawl but butt-shuffles with lightning speed, and is very interested in trying to dress herself. She flirts with everyone on the bus, is scared of the oven, already hates sharing & knows that anything is automatically funnier when you put it on your head. She is this weird, wonderful little creature who makes me long for more babies and at the same time wonder how I could ever possibly love someone else as much as I do her. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician has started waving and clapping! E didn't do either of these til WAY later-- we were so excited when he finally started waving-- so it's really novel to us to see a little baby doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't been in this thread forever but I brought Kai for his 2 year doctor visit yesterday. Some of you migh tremember he was really skinny when he was born, and wasn't even on the chart for weight. Well as of yesterday he is at 25%! The doctor said it is perfectly proportional to his 25% height, which has been pretty much steady since he was born. (although his head is more like 50%, all along, but that makes sense since his dad has a big head lol!)

So for all the families worrying about skinny babies, here's hope if you just keep feeding them good vegan food they'll be fine!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:05 pm 

Yay Kai! height/weight proportionate is a relief to parents everywhere on measuring day. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay Kai! Thanks for sharing Aubade- isn't it funny in retrospect how he was growing just fine while still appearing to almost never eat? One day they'll discover that toddlers are natural breathairians,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 107  Next