| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 am 
Semen Strong

Wow! 6 months already! Time flies!

Leela made her first clothing choice today! She insisted I take off her kitten shirt and replace it with a dog shirt. Its kind of amazing to see her have preferences for things. Normally I give her choices between thing 1 and thing 2, but I don't get the sense she cares much. But today she just wanted to wear her dog shirt, so she found it, brought it to me and insisted we change her clean cat shirt. Its crazy, because she hates having clothes put on her, but I guess the doggies were worth it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sven had his 15 month checkup on Monday. He hasn't really gained weight for four months or so but he's super active (read: constantly trying to invent ways to kill himself) and eats tons of food! He's 31" (50%) and 23lbs (35%). No words at all yet (maaaaybe he says mama but I'm not totally convinced) but he understands pretty much everything, and what he lacks in language he makes up in fine motor skills. We have night weaned and are down to nursing three times a day (morning, nap and bed) and I hope to have him fully weaned within the next six weeks. I really love this age, it's super fun and keeps getting better!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

stuckunderhere wrote:
Aww, now you guys are making me want to go see ducks :)
I wonder if the lake is too cold for us to go walk there yet... hmm

it won't be on friday! 28 freaking degrees! which reminds me, we have to get together for a walk!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zeph has started waving good-bye! It's sooooo cute! I didn't teach him - I think he learned from his dad when he's leaving in the morning, and his other family members we see regularly. He's also super into nodding/shaking his head. He knows "no" is shaking his head. If I say it, he shakes. So awesome. He's just on such a roll right now. Eating more, almost walking, moving so fast. And he dances to music all the time, and he plays with cars. His brother wasn't into either of those things! I love seeing how different their personalities are. Total opposites.aa

Scandinavegan - wow, six months already? That's so cool that she moves so much! Exciting!

Mandycoot - My oldest son was exactly the same. Very active, ate lots, but not very heavy at all! I loved that age too. So fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Going to see the ducks (bundled up of course), when it's cold outside is the best. No one is ever there, and the ducks are super hungry. F too, is filled with the duck love (still). She's only just this past ten days or so, stopped carrying around her basket of rubber ducks to all areas of the house. Tonight though, she went and fetched two of them so that they could ride in the airplane (cuz that's what ducks do y'know).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

How did I miss Eli sitting? wow!

And tinywu six months old already! This time goes too fast! At least she's still tiny though, westiebaby is over 15lb now [at 3 months] and taller[longer?] than I was at six months... my monster baby! I can't imagine how adorable it would be to see her moving around, so tinywu must be impossibly cute!

I'm with Leela - doggie shirt definitely sounds worth getting changed for!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:59 pm 

6 months for tiny Wu! Hurrah!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, that's amazing! Just wait until she's high energy and running around ;) So many beautiful ppkbies!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Our kiddos are doing the exact same stuff, SV. I think they'll be army crawling soon. Eli is already trying to push his knees under him. This is going too fast!

And wow, she's getting so big!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician had his 15 month checkup today. He's 25 lbs, 33 inches tall, and 90th percentile for head circumference. He also had his iron tested and isn't "low" but surprisingly close considering that most of the few solid foods he likes are iron rich or iron fortified. (Low is 11 I guess, and he's at 12.)

He is using the handful of words and signs he knows a ton more. He also suddenly knows two signs I didn't teach him-- baby and wash hands. Wash hands makes sense, he sees us do it a lot. But where did he get the sign for baby? I don't know, but it's cool... He is way more into signing than E ever was as a baby.

Comically, the more into signing M gets, the more interested the Emperor is! He has started signing while talking and is constantly asking me "what's the sign for (blah blah blah)". I am supposed to be looking up the sign for insect right now.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love all the signing stories - so cool. We aren't signing with Giles because I guess we are lazy (although I have a book about it on my shelf!) but I think it is so cool how you can peer into the thought processes of the non-talkers!

Giles had his 9 month Check-up on friday - he is 29 inches and 23.5 lbs. While waiting for the doctor to come in he showed off a new skill to me - clapping his hands! He crawls everywhere - pulls up to stand and I hear that he can cruise but I haven't seen it happen yet. I now have to decide if I should cut the feet out of his 12 month footed sleepers or move him up a size since his feet won't fit in them anymore...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Also I want more comparison pictures of E & M!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I can accommodate that! I took a ton of pictures of M on his month day (Saturday) but didn't get any really great ones... however, in this one, he is making a face that is just really similar to one of the only ones I got on E's 15 month day:

The Magician watering the plants.

The Emperor driving his new (at the time) red wagon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

E & M pics are my fav! So cute.

Today I signed Silas up for Pre-k for the upcoming school year. We weren't going to do it and didn't for Shae either, but the local Science museum offers it and I've heard so much amazing stuff, it sold us. It's a science based, all hands on curriculum that seems perfect for him. We randomly walked in today and they let Silas join in for me to observe and it was the funnest place! They painted a giant earth with their feet and planted veggies to test some in the sun and some in a closet to learn about photosynthesis. So much fun, neither of us wanted to leave.

But now I realize that we will have one kid starting high school and another starting pre-k on the same day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

wow, e & m really look nothing alike! funny how similar they were as babies.

kelly, woah! that's crazy! i'm hoping to start tzipi in pre-k next year. our school board offers it though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Littlebird- Our school board offers it too, but you are able to opt out for private centers that are enrolled as well (free!). I didn't feel comfortable with the school version as it's way too much sitting and doing worksheets, so this is a great option for us.

Silas is now talking nonstop about going school shopping for a lunchbox and teasing his brother because he doesn't have to wear a school uniform. School doesn't start until August, so, uh, I am hoping the excitement fades out quickly so I don't lose my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

oh cool. i wish our board did that. i haven't checked out the programs, but i'm hoping to find a good active one. but regardless, it means our daycare costs drop, so i'm excited for that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Shae starting high school totally blows my mind.

We had thought E would start kindergarten in fall 2014, right before he turns 5. In his case, it seems totally appropriate. He is really, really socially developed for his age and has most of the academic pre-k skills already. (If he can't genuinely read by fall 2014, we will all be really surprised.) There is no reason to keep him back another year, I think it'll just make him more bored in school and more distant from his classmates.

But, California is in this weird flux state right now with kinder start dates. It used to be 5 by Dec 1st, but they've been moving it back a month every year for a couple years now-- 2014 will be the first year where it will be 5 by September 1st. So that means E will miss it by a couple of weeks.

There's some sort of weird transitional kindergarten thing, but school districts don't have to offer it (or something?) and it's only a half day thing and it might not even still exist by next year. It is so frustrating, as a parent, to try to plan around this!

At present I'm thinking we're going to try to file an exemption for E so he can just start normal K in 2014 as planned... But we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

whoa everyone's getting ready for school, crazy! Kelly, that science museum program sounds amazing though, I'm totally jealous.
D is eligible for public pre-k in the fall but in lovely NYC apparently NINETY PERCENT of the kids won't be accepted into a program because there is no room. There's also no guarantee of a child getting a kindergarten seat either!
I'm gonna be all first-world gripe-y here and say: we filled out the application for pre-k and included 12 different schools we'd be interested in. I also separately tried the Y (free universal pre-k) and got to be #41 on the waitlist. But all the programs are either only 2 and a half hours ("half-day") or 6 hours. Now, I know we'd be lucky to get in anywhere but 2.5 hours seems mighty short - we also live in the middle of nowhere so most likely H will have to drive D to school and pick her up and man I don't know, 2 and a half hours hardly seems worth it! And 6 hours just seems too damn long for a 4yr old who's barely been away from her family at all. Not to mention what all this is going to mean for the baby's naptime and thus H's sanity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ah C&S the CA kindergarten panic! I know somebody who's already considering putting her kid in private school in kindergarten because she thinks he's ready to start earlier. There's a good chance we might be moving back to San Diego when V's about kindergarten age, and I'm dreading having schools as yet another factor to consider when house-hunting (esp. since the types of places I like to live are not known for good schools! Thanks, stupid CA property tax structure!)

Good luck getting the emperor into school.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

we can get an exception here too. the cut off is sep 30, and lydia will miss it by one month. i'm assuming here, but chances are pretty good she'll be more than ready for kindergarten, and i would definitely consider it for her. tzipi is right in the middle age-wise, so i won't do it for her.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician, who is still mostly non-verbal, revealed two new words yesterday and has been applying them to the max. What are these two words that are so important that he has actually learned to say them?

"Bathroom" and "dinner."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:30 pm 

*chuckle*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:28 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yay Magician! Two syllables, even! I think Sven just got his first real word -- ball, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 am 
Semen Strong

I love the communication stuff! Its amazing.

I was noticing that Leela picks up animal signs so fast - we have cow, chicken, monkey, dog, cat, bear, sheep, fish, bird and duck and that she picks up animal sounds so fast too. I think all children are really interested in animals, and I'd love to know why that is. I really like Melanie Joy's book about how we have to culturally override that innate compassion to be able to teach children to eat animals. http://www.carnism.org/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 106  Next