| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenmacher wrote:
Happy birthday Tziporah!! Her shirt is so pretty, and the cupcakes look fantastic! (Did you have her party at a clothing store?)

Thanks! That dress is awesome. I got it off the clearance rack for $3 and it has squirrels on it!

The place we had the party is at a cafe/store where our playgroup has been meeting since the summer. The owners are lactation consultants, offer baby and prenatal classes, sell breastfeeding clothing and equipment and run a veg cafe. It is seriously an amazing place. It's kind of funny, the store has definitely become more of a cafe than a clothing store in the last few months, but they still have all this merchandise hanging up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tziporah! Happy birthday!! And congrats to you and yours for getting through the first year.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh my, happy birthday Tzippy! Gosh, it only seems like yesterday you were being born and Ezra didn't have a birth buddy anymore! That's a beautiful picture of the two of you - congratulations on getting through the year!

Milo is absolutely adorable. That's one of my favorite names!

Mitten, definitely try a soft shell carrier. I still carry Ezra around and he's effing 32lbs! We stopped using the moby when he was around 12lbs, it just stretched too much and didn't offer much support (I've heard the sleepywrap is a lot like the moby but without the stretch, fyi). The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to get your little one in the carrier and then have someone else play with the straps for you while you jump and jiggle around. It helps me to get a comfy fit every time. We have a ton of different carriers - if you ever wanted to try them out before emptying the wallet, just let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Holy. crepe.

My just 5 month old is on his hands and knees and rocking back and forth. I am SO not ready for this. My house is a disaster. *freakout*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:44 am 
And you never will.

I've been totally burnt out due to the fact that since poopiebaby was born, I have been the only one to ever put him to sleep, and he has never slept in his crib for more than ~20 minutes aside from a handful of glorious times he's slept for anywhere from 40-75 minutes (despite herculean efforts to get him comfortable in his crib). Which means I have spent at least 2/3 of my LIFE for the last 8 months dedicated to putting him to sleep/keeping him asleep.

I have tried every technique I could find to break him of the nursing/sleep association, but nothing ever seemed to work. After having a little bit of a breakdown this morning, I finally convinced my husband to try putting poopiebaby to sleep (because he doesn't have boobs!). He's always insisted that poopiebaby wouldn't go to sleep with him, but lo and behold, after about 20 minutes of fussing, I hear nothing coming from the nursery. I can only assume this means that, for the first time in his 8 months, someone else has put poopiebaby to sleep. I am literally crying right now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 am 
And you never will.

I should say, actually, that it wasn't so much me 'convincing' my husband as him offering, which is even better. And poopiebaby slept for over an hour with him!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Whoo! Yay to poopiebaby going to sleep for Daddy!!

I wish my daughter would do that. Only the boob puts her to sleep. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That's great, poopie! What a relief. I've definitely noticed that Walter is needier when I'm taking care of him than when he's with his dad and I'm not around. He'll gladly eat from a bottle if his dad offers it, but not if I do ("What is this shiitake?! Take out your boobs!"). His dad can get him to sleep just by holding him and swaying back and forth for 5 minutes, but I have to lay down with him and nurse him to sleep. He also cries more for me, I guess because he knows I'm more likely to cuddle and baby talk and feed him when he cries. I think Walter sees me as a soft, fluffy, sympathetic milk machine, but his dad gives off a different vibe and doesn't have boobs, so he's more self-sufficient when his dad takes care of him.

I think you can/should hand off more of the responsibility for poopiebaby's sleep to Mr. Poopie. Poopiebaby will adapt, once he figures out that his dad isn't going to feed him to sleep. And then you can get some sleep!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Poopie, that's awesome. It's only recently that solipsistnation has sometimes been responsible for putting the Emperor to bed, and it's still usually me... and that is really a big weight to bear after a full day of baby caring.

This MAGICAL thing has been happening for about two weeks (week and a half?) now. I'm afraid to even post about it because I feel like as soon as I do it'll stop... but get this. The Emperor has started going to bed on his own. One of us puts him in bed, gives him his baby doll, tucks him in, kisses him goodnight, and turns the light off. AND THEN HE JUST FALLS ASLEEP. There's no screaming or crying or nursing or anything, he just goes to sleep! Did you know they can do that?!

Also, he knows a bajillion words now and he's just learned a sentence. The sentence is GREY GO! He shouts it whenever he's doing anything. Like if he runs across a room he'll shout GREY GO! GREY GO! GREY GO! It's a great first sentence.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

coldandsleepy wrote:
Also, he knows a bajillion words now and he's just learned a sentence. The sentence is GREY GO! He shouts it whenever he's doing anything. Like if he runs across a room he'll shout GREY GO! GREY GO! GREY GO! It's a great first sentence.

<3

How old is Grey? Is that how long we're going to have to wait for Dash to put himself to sleep? It seems like a looooong way away. But congrats on that! GREY GO (to sleep!)!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ha ha.

He just turned 17 months old. I think he's really a late bloomer on the sleep situation though... I think he would be DELIGHTED to still nurse to sleep every night, nurse all night every night, always have me in the bed with him, etc. He didn't even ever sleep more than about 2 hours at a stretch til he was a year old, and I've asked around... that's weird.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

GREY GO! I love that. He's giving himself a pep talk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 am 
And you never will.

coldandsleepy wrote:
Ha ha.

He just turned 17 months old. I think he's really a late bloomer on the sleep situation though... I think he would be DELIGHTED to still nurse to sleep every night, nurse all night every night, always have me in the bed with him, etc. He didn't even ever sleep more than about 2 hours at a stretch til he was a year old, and I've asked around... that's weird.

Then my baby is weird, too. I've said it before, but it gives me so much hope that E. Babykins didn't sleep for more than a couple of hours either, because now I know that EVENTUALLY he will (even if it's another four months!).

I am crazy-excited for you that he's putting himself to sleep! I hope it's a permanent thing from now on! GREY GO!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 am 
And you never will.

Well, so far poopiebaby loves banana, apple, veggie booty, these teething biscuits, falafel and hummus. The first miss? Tinned pear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

coldandsleepy wrote:
This MAGICAL thing has been happening for about two weeks (week and a half?) now. I'm afraid to even post about it because I feel like as soon as I do it'll stop... but get this. The Emperor has started going to bed on his own. One of us puts him in bed, gives him his baby doll, tucks him in, kisses him goodnight, and turns the light off. AND THEN HE JUST FALLS ASLEEP. There's no screaming or crying or nursing or anything, he just goes to sleep! Did you know they can do that?!

tzippy has done that 2 or 3 times now. she's playing in her crib before bedtime, and then suddenly there just isn't any noise... i go in, and she's passed out on top of two stuffed animals, clutching her musical cellphone in her little hand. it is the most magical and amusing thing ever. i hope it keeps going for you... here it is a fairly rare occurrence, but she is overall such a great sleeper that i can't complain.

oh, and poopie, you might try fresh pear, cut up and microwaved for 30 seconds or so. apple works well too. you can either give them the soft pieces once they've cooled, or quickly pulse them up. it's better tasting than the tinned stuff i think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am 
And you never will.

littlebird wrote:
oh, and poopie, you might try fresh pear, cut up and microwaved for 30 seconds or so. apple works well too. you can either give them the soft pieces once they've cooled, or quickly pulse them up. it's better tasting than the tinned stuff i think.

Thank you, I'll try it! I gave him some tinned because when I was on WIC I got, like, 12 tins of pears (and a bunch of peaches as well) and I was hoping he would like it so I would have something to do with it. I guess I'll have to find another use! Ha!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

umm, we are night weaning my little man and after 3 (yes three!) weeks he is still waking at least once a night. i have been nursing once a night for the last week and half and he know fathfully awakes at 630 (used to be 730 or 8) and waits for the sun to rise and says nurse sun up as soon as he sees it. i guess its gonna stay that way, i'm dreading the 5 am sunrises. He's fall asleep on his own about half the time but he ALWAYS nurses before bed. He's almost 21 months and he is not gonna give up the tatas easily.

however- he has this boynton book called opposites with an elephant on the cover, he is going around calling every elephant he sees an opposites.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm 

jildez wrote:
he know fathfully awakes at 630 (used to be 730 or 8) and waits for the sun to rise and says nurse sun up as soon as he sees it. i guess its gonna stay that way, i'm dreading the 5 am sunrises.

blackout curtains are magical!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

jildez wrote:
however- he has this boynton book called opposites with an elephant on the cover, he is going around calling every elephant he sees an opposites.

D'awwwwww. I love that.

The one downside of the Emperor going to sleep on his own is that he wakes up even earlier now. He goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up to nurse around 5:30 and is up for good by 6 or 6:30. That makes me kind of crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am 

without thinking i ate a metric ton of broccoli yesterday... MISTAKE. so much gas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
jildez wrote:
he know fathfully awakes at 630 (used to be 730 or 8) and waits for the sun to rise and says nurse sun up as soon as he sees it. i guess its gonna stay that way, i'm dreading the 5 am sunrises.

blackout curtains are magical!

sadly we have blackout liners under the curtains which came with the bedroom, my husband taught him how to open the curtains and check, and although doesn't really get light, the curtains themselves do get lighter, so if you are watching, you can see when the sun is up.

ps, i hope you feel less gassy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 am 

jildez wrote:
ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
jildez wrote:
ps, i hope you feel less gassy.

ha, thanks! i'm fine though. milo was grunting through some stuff though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby crawled properly for the first time this morning (on hands and knees, rather than dragging himself across the floor on his belly). The thing I find hilarious is that this comes about a week after he started pulling himself up on things to stand, but he still won't sit up on his own (I'm pretty sure he CAN, he just wants to be moving all the time so if I sit him up he immediately falls so he can GO). He's a backward child, my baby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay Poopiebaby!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

olivia started walking the other night. it's like she turned one and decided, "yep, time to walk." and today's pediatrician checkup revealed that she is the same height/weight at 12 months, that jackson was at 18 months. gigantor baby!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 101  Next