| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

today tzippy and i had our first real "kid" outing. she's 13 months and holy heck life is different now. i had to go renew my passport downtown, so i packed a lunch and a couple diapers, and we hopped on the metro. after doing my passport stuff, we sat in the food court and shared a sandwich and an apple. then we went to the restroom and tzippy peed in the big toilet (i offered because her diaper only had one tiny pee in it and it was like she was waiting for me to ask). then we headed to the massive library downtown that i haven't been to since the fall. she's been showing more and more of an interest in books lately and "reading" her favourites over and over, so i figured we would get a couple out.

we read a couple books.
we played hide and seek in the book stacks.
we climbed on the super fun foam block tower and the mushroom chairs and the benches.
we listened to music on the headphones.
we chatted to random people.
we crawled and cruised and thought about walking while mommy read her grown-up books.
we only nursed ONCE!
we were so tuckered out at the end that we passed out the second mommy finished buckling the carrier on. and stayed asleep all the way home on the metro. and while walking home. and continue to sleep.

i've been trying very casually to space out nursing during the day in preparation for starting daycare in the fall, so obviously an action-packed day is very helpful for distracting, as is remembering to offer food often. but get this: i always ask verbally and do the sign for nursing before i pick her up, and she has been saying a very clear "yes" to me for a couple weeks. my husband said though that she was just responding to the question tone with yes, and not specifically the word. so this time, when i could see she was starting to think about wanting milk, i asked "tzippy, do you want some peanut butter?" and she looked at me quizzically, and didn't say yes! then i asked, "tzippy, do you want milk?" and she nodded, said "yes" and started flicking her hand in front of her face (which is actually pretty close to our sign for milk). SO AWESOME.

sorry this is so long. but man, it was a good day. i have a little person to hang out with now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor went in for his eighteen month (!) checkup today. It was an exciting appointment because for the first time ever, he didn't gain a huge amount of weight between checkups. In fact, he didn't gain any weight. He is all the way down to... The 96th percentile for weight!

He has always been such a rotund little pumpkin that I worried a lot about him being obese by age five or something. So it is a big relief to me to know he is finally slowing down a little.

What's not slowing down... His vocab. He has over a hundred words now. Holy shiitake! His doctor says he has the vocabulary of a 2 year old.

Earlier we had this exchange:

(Grey bumps his head and runs over to me.)
G: oh honey! ( what I say when he's upset)
Me: are you okay?
G: (climbs into my lap, points at his head) Bump! Ow!
Me: you poor thing.
G: yeah. (snuggles into my chest) Please pew pew?

Sometimes it's like we're having actual coherent conversations.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Littlebird that sounds like such an awesome day! I don't want Kai to grow up too fast, so I'm definitely trying to enjoy each stage. But part of me wants him to hurry up and get to the point you describe - because now I feel like there just isn't so much to do with him. He isn't into nursing all day anymore, so there are times I can't figure out what to do. Like, ok, let's bite on this teether toy for awhile. Now how about a little tummy time on your activity mat. Let's sing pat-a-cake a couple times. Umm, now what?

And congratulations on the good weight news coldandsleepy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Took Dash for his 6 month check up today. At 23.5lb he's off the charts for weight, is at 85% for height and 95% for head circumference. Fat little guy we have! <3 And he was so brave about his shots, too. Here's a crappy picture of him from earlier this week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I love hearing about these huge babies so I know I'm not the only one! We need to start a vegan baby football team! Walter had his 4-month checkup last week and went from 99th percentile in weight to a svelte 98-99%. He's 20 pounds! I was happy that he got longer, though. At his last checkup he was only 23rd percentile for height, now he's 70th.

I also love reading about Tzippy and The Emperor's communication skills. That seems like such a fun and fascinating stage! I am kind of in the same boat as Aubade and Kai: tummy time, read a book, monkey puppet show, dance around to the radio...repeat? I'm getting kind of bored with the things I can do with a 4-month old. I am treasuring these last weeks of immobility, though! We have not baby-proofed at all, and at least now he stays where I put him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Aubade wrote:
Littlebird that sounds like such an awesome day! I don't want Kai to grow up too fast, so I'm definitely trying to enjoy each stage. But part of me wants him to hurry up and get to the point you describe - because now I feel like there just isn't so much to do with him. He isn't into nursing all day anymore, so there are times I can't figure out what to do. Like, ok, let's bite on this teether toy for awhile. Now how about a little tummy time on your activity mat. Let's sing pat-a-cake a couple times. Umm, now what?

And congratulations on the good weight news coldandsleepy!

it's true, this stage is a lot more "fun." i was really at a loss too, when she was that age. i figured out i should take advantage and do things *i* wanted to do, and sure enough, now the day kind of revolves around what she wants to do. so i'm glad i took advantage of that quiet immobile time to read, paint a little, browse book stores, go to the art gallery, etc. because now everywhere we go has to be toddler friendly (i.e nothing breakable at their level, safe and closed off to let them roam). it's not easier or harder, just really different.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The thing that got me through the first couple days after we came home with Inez was fantasizing about her being one: "In less than a year she'll be able to toddle around and communicate with me and eat food! That's not that long and it will be so awesome. Breathe!" Obviously, things are a lot easier now and I'm more in the enjoy-each-stage zone but it's still really fun to think about her being even more of a little person/buddy.

I do so love the immobility, though. I think I need a Roomba or something before she starts crawling because our dog hair situation is just crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Go Walter go!

I hated the immobility. I know, I know, you're not supposed to say you hate any part of having a baby... but really. Crawling was a big part of him getting to be enjoyable to be around. Lots of people told me "oh no, you're going to regret wishing he'd start crawling once he actually does!" but those people were so wrong.

And yeah, at 4 months, I think you still try to get away with as many things that are fun for you as you can! That was the age that I first started taking the Emperor to the coffee shop, and coffee time (whether out or at home) is still the one thing we do all day that's just a mom thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

coldandsleepy wrote:
Lots of people told me "oh no, you're going to regret wishing he'd start crawling once he actually does!" but those people were so wrong.

yes! mobility was such a relief for me. i also struggled to figure out what to do with a baby all day long, and that little bit of independence he gained really went a long way toward my sanity.

this time around i don't have the same "what do i do with you" problem because i'm busy chasing around big brother who is in turn providing a great deal of entertainment/distraction to the baby. one of the few ways that having another kid has actually made something easier.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think there was a happy thread, the opposite of the ventilation station, but I don't remember what it is called. So I'm putting a tender moment here - love that my husband is cuddling with Kai right now, singing him Neil Young after just helping him eat a banana out of one of those mesh thingies. Too cute!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

milo's butt has a blast radius.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:26 pm 
And you never will.

Happy nine months to my sweet big boy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Aw, those are beautiful pictures! Look at him, standing up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

wowza! he looks so different now.

how are you doing, poopie? is life starting to get a bit easier with him?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Dawwww. Happy nine months Peter! I love that serious face. He should be on a coin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm 

Dash just crawled!

Peter has an adorable serious face. I mean, everyone loves baby smiles but I seriously dig the thinking face :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 am 

Aaaand me again: Dash just pulled himself up to standing. This kid is moving at the speed of light.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 am 
ol' garly cooch

yay for baby updates. and i might even take interest in football if i knew there was an all vegan football team.

fini is still not walking, and she's 17 months old. she crawls really fast-(think zombies from the dawn o' the dead remake). she'll pull herself up and walk around furniture, but is very resistant to walking by hereself. i was freaked out at first, but not anymore. she'll walk when she's ready. same goes for talking. she babbles but only knows a few words: mamma, daddy, dasto, and uh-oh.

blasto is well, three and a half. by far the most challenging age for me. lots of melt downs, lots of whining, and lots of yelling. my strategy has been whispering when i want to scream. i do a lot of ignoring, especially the "i hate you" stuff. he's also very charismatic and imaginative. he loves dinosaurs and prefers to be called "spiderman boy" instead of blasto.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:22 am 
Married to the wolfman

Heh. I do the whisper when I want to scream too.

A good baby friend of ours didn't crawl OR walk til about 14 months, then started the furniture walk. Now he's 18 months old and trotting with the best of em. All things in time...

The Emperor is starting daycare/preschool (is there a difference?) next week and I am sorta freaking out about it. We are going on a day trip to a kid museum today... I am trying to really enjoy what may be my last days ever as a stay at home parent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 am 
Bathes in Braggs

what a milestone, coldandsleepy! i am looking forward to / completely dreading that change myself. are you going to start working?

tzippy isn't walking yet either, jewy. she is so cautious that i can imagine it taking her another couple of months to do it! some days i think she'll be walking by the end of the week, and i know she CAN do it, but she does things in her own sweet time and never before she's entirely sure she can do it properly. i've always heard that any time within 12-18 months is "average" so i wouldn't even start to think about worrying about it until after 18 months.

tzippy's new skill: reading. i put her in her crib to chill while i'm showering or cooking and i walk by her room a few minutes later to find her totally immersed in a book, flipping one page at a time, studying the pictures. i saw her pull another book over and open it, and go back and forth between the two, for all the world like a college student researching arthurian legends. it was freaking adorable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

In theory, I am going to receive an offer that I will almost certainly take (unless they seriously attempt to lowball me) for a job that I interviewed for about a month and a half ago. The guy I interviewed with told me two weeks ago to expect an offer last week and one has yet to materialize. I am kind of losing my patience with the whole situation.

In the meantime, I went ahead and enrolled the Emperor in preschool for the month of May using money from some assets we are liquidating. (Doesn't that sound fancy pantsed?) If the offer doesn't actually happen, we will have to pull him out in June... we can't afford preschool on one income.

I think developmentally, he is really ready to be with other kids. He is SUCH a social guy.

And even though I love some aspects of being home with him, I am really, really ready to be doing some out of home work using my non-parent skills again. So I really hope it'll work out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:16 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby just slept 1 hour and 20 minutes in his crib, without me, without waking up! And it only took five minutes of rocking to get him back to sleep, and now he's back in his crib again! It's taken almost two weeks of exhausting, back-breaking (seriously, hunching over his crib 'holding' him for 5, 10 minutes at a time, over and over, is HURTY) effort, but I'm starting to see a glimmer of hope. That was the sweetest 80 minutes of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay poopie!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby FINALLY cut his first tooth last night! He's been teething hardcore for about two weeks, and it seemed like nothing was ever going to happen, but this morning he was chewing on my finger and sure enough - I could feel that his first tooth had finally broken through!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yay poopiebaby! I actually came here to post the same thing--I felt the tip of a tooth coming through the bottom gum today! It is pretty amazing, but I'm wondering if nursing is about to get sharp and pointy...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 106  Next