| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:41 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

tooth #3 is popping up... on the bottom! Where are his top teeth? lol I'm gonna have a baby vampire!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

We are getting tooth 3 too! We have two bottoms and now one on top!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos tried to say "everywhere" today. It was very strange and exciting. I dunno if he has any regular words at this point. He says "duh" for duck and a million other things. He says "ma" for más and a million other things. He makes some animal noises too. But the everywhere was so... weird. I mean, what a difficult word for a little one to say. I am having trouble figuring out how to describe what he said. It was like e-ey-ehhh and really loud. It is a fun word for him because it is repeated a lot in the book Cookie's Week. Cookie is a cat who makes a mess each day in a different way. (On Monday Cookie fell into the toilet. There was water everywhere!) Carlos moves his little arm up in the air each time the book say everywhere. Anyway, I thought it was cool!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That is awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kimba wrote:
Carlos tried to say "everywhere" today. It was very strange and exciting. I dunno if he has any regular words at this point. He says "duh" for duck and a million other things. He says "ma" for más and a million other things. He makes some animal noises too. But the everywhere was so... weird. I mean, what a difficult word for a little one to say. I am having trouble figuring out how to describe what he said. It was like e-ey-ehhh and really loud. It is a fun word for him because it is repeated a lot in the book Cookie's Week. Cookie is a cat who makes a mess each day in a different way. (On Monday Cookie fell into the toilet. There was water everywhere!) Carlos moves his little arm up in the air each time the book say everywhere. Anyway, I thought it was cool!

That's awesome! (Also, I read Cookie's Week when I was a kid. Such a cute book!)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay Carlos! And yay Leela!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Go carlos!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahhh great job Carlos!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

And now he's taking steps! I saw him take two steps twice yesterday and my husband saw two steps twice the previous week. And he is drinking quite well from a cup these days. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Woot! Your whole world will change now! :)

Today Freya seemed extra grown-up to me for some reason, so I decided to measure her height. We'd been planning to check anyway at 18 months, which is in just a few days. She is 35 1/4"! She loves playing with the measuring tape, so she spent the next few minutes holding it up to various things/points on the wall and saying "tenty...tenty" (twenty). I have no idea where she learned "twenty". She has only said 2 and 3 before, so "twenty" was quite funny.

Also today = going down the slide, over and over again, for the first time/s by herself. (this is probably where the "she's so grownup" feeling came from).

Sigh. This kid is forking amazing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Wow, Freya is as big as Raygold!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician's language development continues to perplex (and yet, entertain) me. His newest trick is that he sings along with ABCs, even though he does not know any of the words. (I think I mentioned before that he does this with some other songs, like Yellow Submarine.) Except if you sing A B C D and pause-- he'll sing E F G. SUPER clearly and on tune. Ha ha ha what?

Meanwhile, he has been adding a few new spoken words and a bunch more signs. I think he signs way more than he talks. We're now into using signs I never used with E because he just wasn't that into it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh but I forgot his annoying new development: he has learned how to use a chair to climb up on the kitchen table. Now we can't leave anything on there because even if it's pushed into the center, he'll just climb onto the table itself and get whatever it is. He is so stealthy and so fast about it. Oy.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

no no no, slow down, kiddo! :p

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so we got some poopy news in regards to BabyPunk yesterday.
Monday I took her to her 1 month pedi appt and the pedi was really happy with her progress. she weighed in at 6 lbs 3 oz.
she still has a murmur so even though the pedi thought it was still normal she wanted to send us to a pediatric cardiologist just to be safe so off we went to the cardiologist yesterday.
turns out she may have a couple congenital heart defects :-(
she has a mild pulmonary stenosis which the way i understood it means the valve that is leading back to the lungs is slightly tighter than it should be. i guess it's not too bad though.
she also has 2 VSDs which stands for (i think) ventricular septum defects which basically are 2 largish holes in the septum of her left ventricle and whatever is next to it (sorry not a medical person)

she has slightly fast breathing and i guess because of the holes it's because she has blood from the left side of her heart pumping into the right side and back into her lungs so she has excess blood going into her lungs or something.

so at the end of the day the Dr said it's not too big of a deal. it's not causing her any distress right now but we obviously have to watch it and she may need heart surgery by the time shes 1 (i think) to repair it depending on how it goes. i guess there's a chance it might just get better on its own and the holes may get smaller or close on their own or we may need to have them repaired. he said as far as heart surgery goes it's not that big of a deal and relatively simple and she will be fine.
it's just scary to think about and just sucks. i feel like it's been constantly one thing after another ever since i got pregnant. and now of course im totally paranoid about everything

so we were given a med for her called lasix which is basically a diuretic and will help take some of the excess fluid out of her lungs and help with her breathing.
i guess the things we need to look for is her turning blue which has never happened and then not gaining weight and not wanting to nurse. i guess with the breathing issue they can have difficulty nursing and i think it may explain a few things i thought was just normal baby stuff but maybe not.
so of course i gave her the med last night and then 2 hours later i fed her and she had like an epic almost 25 min nursing session and i was like "yes this stuff must be helping!" and then all night last night and so far all day today she like doesnt want to eat. she still nurses every 2ish hours but it's like for less than 10 mins. *sigh* hoping it's just a fluke.

to add insult to injury the nurse at the cardiologist was all like "well she's not gaining weight well now is she?"
and i was like "huh? the pediatrician thinks she's doing great??? how much weight is she supposed to gain? 10 lbs a week?" even the cardiologist later said her weight gain was good. im SO SICK of people giving me shiitake for having a small baby!!!!!!!!!!

so anyways we get to go back to the cardiologist again next week and i guess they said "frequently" after that.

here's hoping the holes just close on their own. :-/

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

LisaPunk wrote:
so we got some poopy news in regards to BabyPunk yesterday.
she has a mild pulmonary stenosis which the way i understood it means the valve that is leading back to the lungs is slightly tighter than it should be. i guess it's not too bad though.
she also has 2 VSDs which stands for (i think) ventricular septum defects which basically are 2 largish holes in the septum of her left ventricle and whatever is next to it (sorry not a medical person)
she has slightly fast breathing and i guess because of the holes it's because she has blood from the left side of her heart pumping into the right side and back into her lungs so she has excess blood going into her lungs or something.

so at the end of the day the Dr said it's not too big of a deal. it's not causing her any distress right now but we obviously have to watch it and she may need heart surgery by the time shes 1 (i think) to repair it depending on how it goes. i guess there's a chance it might just get better on its own and the holes may get smaller or close on their own or we may need to have them repaired. he said as far as heart surgery goes it's not that big of a deal and relatively simple and she will be fine.
it's just scary to think about and just sucks. i feel like it's been constantly one thing after another ever since i got pregnant. and now of course im totally paranoid about everything

so we were given a med for her called lasix which is basically a diuretic and will help take some of the excess fluid out of her lungs and help with her breathing.
i guess the things we need to look for is her turning blue which has never happened and then not gaining weight and not wanting to nurse. i guess with the breathing issue they can have difficulty nursing and i think it may explain a few things i thought was just normal baby stuff but maybe not.
so of course i gave her the med last night and then 2 hours later i fed her and she had like an epic almost 25 min nursing session and i was like "yes this stuff must be helping!" and then all night last night and so far all day today she like doesnt want to eat. she still nurses every 2ish hours but it's like for less than 10 mins. *sigh* hoping it's just a fluke.

to add insult to injury the nurse at the cardiologist was all like "well she's not gaining weight well now is she?"
and i was like "huh? the pediatrician thinks she's doing great??? how much weight is she supposed to gain? 10 lbs a week?" even the cardiologist later said her weight gain was good. im SO SICK of people giving me shiitake for having a small baby!!!!!!!!!!

so anyways we get to go back to the cardiologist again next week and i guess they said "frequently" after that.

here's hoping the holes just close on their own. :-/

That's a lot of news to take in.
First of all, I went through something similar [plus a few more holes: we had pulmonary atresia, patent ductus arteriosis and atrial septal defect] with my first daughter and i want to say it sounds like the end of the frigging world but take one moment at a time.
First, the difficulty gaining weight and stuff is typical of babies with heart problems- they tire so that they may just not be able to eat enough without [my daughter was like this and had to be tube fed].
As you've noticed, some nurses are great but others will make you want to tear your hair out.
Holes do close, and some kids can do well even with stenosis and holes. Time will tell with this and you may need to get surgery or maybe not. I found out at age 35 that I had a large murmur, and it's never been an issue- you just never know.
My kid's atrial septal hole had to be repaired (as did her pulmonary atresia and PDA- her veins were connected in the wrong place and her atrial valve was sealed shut at birth, so she had one operation at about 10 days and two more by age 4). Heart surgeries are always evolving and my daughter was one of the trial cases to have her HUGE hole blocked by non-open heart surgery using a catheter, which later was approved for general use, so don't despair yet. By the time it's necessary there may be an even better method.
My kid took lasix and digoxin for.... years? it will help her be less puffy and help her heart work more efficiently. you do get used to watching for color. A good way to check her bloodflow is the fingernail test- press a fingernail for about 10 seconds and see how long it takes to change from very pale to normal color. you could try it on yourself and compare. it sounds like if they didn't send you home with a pulse ox [to measure her oxyen saturation levels] she is just fine.

Hang in there. I remember how upsetting this was to learn, and as I've said before, the champion in this was our surgeon whose first interaction with us was to reinforce that there was nothing we did that made this happen. Heart defects are the most common birth defect, and there is a lot of expertise out there on the topic. We found a lot of support from the hospital's pedi cardiology department that made me feel a lot more comfortable as well. Hang in there and feel free to PM if there's anythign I can do.

PS we had procedures done at Boston Children's and at RI Hasbro Children's and both were fantastic. Not sure if you're connected with either but just sayin.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

((hugs)) That sounds really tough and scary. I think the pulmonary stenosis is a fairly common anomaly. I know two families who've had babies with this issue and neither had any significant troubles. One baby though, did have to have surgery. It sounded sorta like angioplasty, where they inflate the ballon in there?

As long as she's looking good, gaining weight, peeing/pooping well, don't fret too much about short feeds. It may change as it gets older and it may not. It could be related to her troubles, but she may just get what she needs in that amount of time too.

As for her weight...obviously, she's just the right size for her. :) I'm on the other end of the scale, but it took me a very long time to start letting the comments about size roll off my back. F's 18 months in a few days and we still get comments *all* the time. Now though, I just shake my head and agree. (I also sometimes mention that she's a vegan, heh)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks guys. it was a alot to take in when we went there basically "just to check it out"
right now we are in a "wait and see" mode to see how she does as she grows.

he did say that if she does have to have surgery she will be totally fine. it's something that they do a lot and we live right outside of Boston where the best cardiac surgeons in the world are. he didnt say which hospital we would go to but i assume Children's like you said.

i have my big list of questions for the cardiologist when we see him again next week. im terrible at asking questions when they tell you stuff. i have to think about it and research on the internet first and wrap my head around it.

she's back to nursing more normal times for the rest of today so far so whatever it was was just earlier. she just wasnt hungry or something.
im definitely in paranoia mode though.

they didnt send us home with anything other than the Rx for the lasix. the evil nurse mentioned something about "in house" nurses that were always available to do weight checks and the pulse ox thing and asked if we wanted to sign up for it and i said we would just see how things went and she gave me the evil glare.

i thought she meant i would have to drive my asparagus in worcester every week or every how often they deem they want her weighed and me judged about her weight and no way was i signing up for that. my husband thinks it was more of a visiting nurse type deal where they show up at our house to weigh her. either way im not overly concerned about her weight right now. i think she is doing ok in that dept and im tired of people telling me otherwise :-P i dont need someone coming to my house every week to tell me my baby is too small (yes im being dramatic ;-) )

thanks again for listening to me rant/vent

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

hugs, lisa! that's a lot to take in. poor little charlotte. i hope the drugs do the job they're supposed to do!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

With pediatric cardiac patients I work with it's not so much of a weight gain issue related to growth, but rather frequent weight monitoring is a good way to monitor the volume status of a kiddo which can also show how well the lasix is working (and how hard the heart is working) and if the dose needs to be adjusted. It sounds like BabyPunk is growing just fine!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

interesting. it was not explained to me like that but that makes more sense.

im overly sensitive about the weight thing since i got constant shiitake when i was pregnant for being small (i was ill the entire time) and now that she's born i get constant shiitake about her size so yeah i overreact ;-)

the nurse i didnt like actually called me right before 5 (i didnt answer i was grooming my dogs) to make sure we were able to get the Rx as i guess some smaller pharmacies dont carry it in house and she wants to talk to me about how CHarlotte is doing. super nice follow up but i still feel on edge that they are like judging me :-P

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry you feel judged! And L only did 10 min feeds well up to 5 months or so - I did have oversupply so maybe that was why, but I was nervous too - thinking it should be 20 mins on each breast which she just wouldn't do. But hey, those 10 min feedings really frequently chunked her up nicely!

Someone here posted that hospitals and MDs who don't know you always treat you like you're not very smart, because they have to treat the "lowest common denominator" and don't often have the time to assess your actual level of knowledge. And they make everything sound so dire, because they want parents to take it seriously, so its geared towards the parents most likely to blow stuff off, and ends up making those of us who are pretty anxiety-prone even more anxious. It is also hard post-partum because you are still at the effects of some serious hormone swings.

FWIW, I hated our time in the hospital, because everyone was talking down to me and making me feel like I caused her jaundice (breastfeeding! delayed cord clamping!) and not seemingly listening to what I was trying to explain.

I hope it resolves soon and that you can go back to just enjoying Punklet in all her wee wrinkly glory.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

wow, Carlos walking and Eli standing and Freya oh-so-tall and grown up! How did all these babies get so big?!

holy wow LisaPunk, that's a lot to take in, and I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling judged on BabyPunk's size. If your doctor is happy with her weight gain then as much as you can, try to chill out about it and let others' comments wash over you. It sounds to me like she's doing great, considering she was only wee to start with and dropped a fair bit after birth, she's already a fair few oz up on her birth weight so you're doing a great job! As for the heart issues, I'll be thinking lots of positive thoughts for you and Charlotte, and it sounds like you've got the best medical care available if it comes to that.

Westiebaby is 4.5 months old and rolling up a storm. This morning I left her playing on her blanket and went to the bathroom for 2 minutes and when I came out she had rolled about 2 metres away and shuffled herself forward 1 metre. Such a squirmy wee baby!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone.
Tlish i was actually thinking the same thing earlier. the hospital i gave birth in is a big major hospital in the 2nd biggest city in New England so the clientele is EVERYONE from all walks of life so im sure the nurses have to deal with every time of person including people who are clueless and dont educate themselves about the things they might need to know about ie babies and baby care so im sure the nurses feel they need to cover all the bases.

it was just weird because the labor and delivery nurses were so incredibly amazing and the most kind and compassionate human beings ever and then as soon as i was changed over to post partum staff WHAM either they were super judgemental or just plain crazy.

im also overly sensitive about the way people talk to me ;-) and yeah.....post partum.....

i wanna see westiebaby rolling around! sounds adorable!
i find myself wanting to get to those parts like laughing and rolling and grabbing toys. i know time goes by so fast so i should just be patient but im waiting for the fun stuff :-)
right now she sort of might whack at a toy if you hold it in front of her. i can definitely see her starting to understand things more. she actually looks at you now or something you're holding.
she was totally just mimicking a facial expression my husband was doing. i mean maybe it was a coincidence but she started doing the same exact thing!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
i find myself wanting to get to those parts like laughing and rolling and grabbing toys. i know time goes by so fast so i should just be patient but im waiting for the fun stuff :-)
right now she sort of might whack at a toy if you hold it in front of her. i can definitely see her starting to understand things more. she actually looks at you now or something you're holding.
she was totally just mimicking a facial expression my husband was doing. i mean maybe it was a coincidence but she started doing the same exact thing!

I completely understand this. I mean, I love how interactive she is now and how much more 'person-like' and how we can have fun together, and she's only four months old so there's so so much more development to come, but I already really do miss the fresh baby snuggly days where they just want to eat and be held and look at your face... my gorgeous girl is already so independent that she chooses when she wants to be hugged, sometimes she just wriggles out of my arms and wants to play on the floor or sit up or whatever and I'm left wondering where my tiny baby went...

Reply to topic  [ 2453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 99  Next