| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann, I would never equate what we do to ASL. Even though some of the signs we use are the same, I use words like "baby sign" to describe what we do. If F wants to learn proper ASL (or BSL :p), then we can do that later. My primary purpose here is for her to communicate with the important people in her life.

SUH, that's a good point too about what the kids are capable of. F had a hard time (I'm assuming) holding her hands the way Karl and I do when making the sign for "all done", so she adapted it a bit. Now, I'm sure she's able to bend her hands the same way we do, but she continues to sign it "her" way. :)

And yeah, we gave up on what words she understands but doesn't yet say. Crazy that M says more words...you've described E as such a chatterbox!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I cannot imagine a human child who talks more than the Emperor! So I hope it's not a predictor of things to come.

(Actually, I thought about it more and it makes sense-- M doesn't talk as much in general. He is quiet most of the time, but when he does talk, he uses a greater variety of words.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
Languages are alive and used differently all the time.

Yes, I can't imagine someone saying to someone who uses textspeak or a regional dialect (including ones like some forms of patois that have some French grammar that sneaks in there), that they aren't speaking proper English and should stop. Language belongs to all of us, and it doesn't fall on one person to police it. Even the Academie Francaise isn't able to prevent "unacceptable" words making it into conversational/spoken French!

Love all these babies and their signing and speech!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish, about obscenities. They are awesome til your plans change and you need to take your pottymouth child to live with someone who wouldn't say "damn" if an anvil fell on her. I can only imagine what my mother is going to do the first time my daughter says one of her classic explosions. Or me, god i'm just as bad.

I will say that even though I raised her to say "there are no bad words, only bad intentions" she has pushed her limits like any good child should. She sometimes says words where i have to raise an eyebrow and say "please don't use that word around me" just like i did when i taught high school.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm 

Freya is 18 months old today! A couple of pics...they are not the best, but they are a good slice of what like is life here these days:

First, Freya standing on our bed after a nap together, knocking on the wall to the bathroom because she heard K flush the toilet and knows he's in there. Classy, eh? Later, she is taking all of her toys off the shelf so she can "clean" the shelf" We'd been cleaning marker off the coffee table together and she took this new task on all on her own! She even helped put the toys back on afterward.

She's still crazy verbal. In just the fifteen minutes on the cleaning project, we heard at least: shelf, cloth, wet, toys, off, dust, help, down, up, mommy, pappa, phone, tidy, water, Dahlia, guys, drum, trump(et), duck, quack, step, house, swing, book, and assorted animal sounds.

Her large muscle skills are finally catching up with her peers. At the playground, she has just started going down the slide by herself..eek! along with crossing the wobbly bridge (the kind suspended with chains/wood planks). Day before yesterday, she was climbing into the bathtub. Just about 3 days now she's become really interested in the potty again, sitting some, but mostly putting all of her stuffed animals on there and making a "psssss" sound. :D One of my most favorite moments recently was when we were making pizza. We got to the end and were putting on the toppings, when one of her olive circles tore. She was a bit put out, so I said it was okay, go ahead and put it on, etc. She looks and me and says "broke...tape!". Tape fixes all in her world! :Oh, and her other big thing..drawing with markers and pens. Loads and loads and loads of scribbles!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

happy 18 months Freya!!! you are such a cutie pie!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

wow Freya is too awesome, she sounds so fun to be around, and I love hearing about all the stories she tells!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Happy 18 monthiversary Freya! And I love her artwork! Thanks for sharing so many sweet stories about her with us.

I think of her every time L is wandering around saying "Money, money,money" (pronounced "mini") to herself because I know Freya did the same thing first!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Happy 18 months Freya! She is so grown up!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

wow Freya what a vocab you have!

and yay happy 18months of life sweetie pie!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:18 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Happy 18 monthiversary Freya! And I love her artwork! Thanks for sharing so many sweet stories about her with us.

I think of her every time L is wandering around saying "Money, money,money" (pronounced "mini") to herself because I know Freya did the same thing first!

Teehee...F is not quite as obsessed as she once was, but she still loves feeding her pig (who says "money, money") and absolutely loves paying the bus driver.

The artwork in the pic is her dad's, fwiw! There is a painting of hers right next to it though...we have one from Mommy, Pappa and Freya on the wall next to her toy shelf. We should have a kids' art thread! Her marker pen drawings are pretty funny!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm 

This weekend I really tried to kick up the signing on my end. My partner won't do it at all, so I was a little discouraged by that roadblock. He doesn't see the point now that's she's talking. Anyway, in the past few days she's picked up a lot more signs: up, down, pee, poop, potty, flower, mouse (trip to petco), please, apple, scooter, dog, and tractor in addition to the ones she was doing before. Yay! I'm such a clutz at signing though, it seems like I'm always holding something when I want to sign and then I fumble around and miss the moment. I'm slow to catch her signs, too. I'm sure I must be missing a lot just cause her approximations throw me off. The first time she signed potty, I knew she was signing but I wasn't sure what until she went red faced and grunted! Duh.

Oh! I almost forgot! She signed potty when my partner farted today...we all had a good laugh at that.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:34 am 

I don't know if this will work, but I tried to upload a video of Westiebaby shuffling herself around the room hunting down Sophie the Giraffe...

eta: gah, I fail at doing these things!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 am 

what the hell, here's a link, hope it works!

http://vimeo.com/67090220

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Look at her go! What hard work that looks like.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

that is too cute, westie!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:01 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahhhh! cuteness! what a great job she's doing!
i want to squish her big cheeks :-D

we have that giraffe too i think. one of my husband's clients sent one too us.

great job westiebaby!!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 am 

haha it totally is hard work! But she's only 4.5 months old there so I figure she's got plenty of time to figure out how to move with a little less struggle!

Lisa, I never understood [what I perceived to be] the 'comic book' desire to squeeze baby's cheeks till I met this child!! SO MUCH CHEEK! Love her little face to bits.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:52 pm 

Go Westie Baby! So cute. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk had her second cardiologist appt today and all looks "good"
i mean obviously she still has the same problems but nothing new or shocking cropped up and otherwise she is great.
her blood pressure in her legs and arms were the same so that is a good thing. her pulse ox was good.

she only gained a few ounces but the dr said looking at the growth chart it was within normal range for her.

he said one of her VSDs is "restrictive" which i guess means it's not allowing unlimited blood to flow through it so that is a good thing.

she slept through most of the appt which was awesome then at the very end of the u/s she started to wake up because she was hungry then she just started shrieking. hahaha that was fun :-P

earlier in the appt when she was sleeping the nurse asked if this was her "normal sleeping time" and i was like "uhhhh she's 4 weeks old she has no "normal" sleeping time" :-P

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh i forgot one thing.
i asked him my question about vaccines (from the vaccines thread) and whether or not it was still safe to do everything on sched and what would happen if she had a reaction would it put too much stress on her heart etc

and he said there is NO reason not to vaccinate her on sched and he emphasized she SHOULD have all her vax on sched because just as someone mentioned in the vax thread it would be way worse for her to get one of the diseases we vaccinate against. he actually said kids with heart issues usually get an EXTRA vax called RSV (?) but he said they do it in the winter so she may/may not need it depending on how things go

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm 
Semen Strong

We gave Leela the RSV vax (which is an oral suspension), bc she was born in November and I was very happy that she didn't get RSV, because several of our friends had it, and it was pretty scary.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had to look up what it actually was and it does sound scary!
i can see why they give it to kids with heart problems since breathing is one of her issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

good news Lisapunk!!

it looks like the RSV vaccine has not changed since we did it- monthly injections during the RSV season. since we had twins they had both the kids get it for the first 2 or 3 years since we had immunosuppression issues [due to the heart surgeries, not to the defect itself].
the info is here https://www.synagis.com/
or, who knows, it may resolve itself and you may not need it at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:55 pm 
Semen Strong

Derp! I got confused between rotavirus and RSV. I would definitely vax my kid against RSV if I could though, that stuff is scary! Even just a normal cold where they are struggling to breath is hard!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 108  Next