| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

That is cool about Dahlias interest in building. Have you seen that idea to make GIANT "lincoln logs" out of pool noodles idea on Pinterest? I don't know if it would actually work (or how much pool noodles cost) but it seems like it would be awesome for an avid architect!

Giles loves to pick up the heavy stuff too. I keep hiding my hand weights from him, and then forgetting to put them back in the hiding place after workouts and find him hefting the 5 lbs weight. It is super cute but then he just drops them and I am so scared he will squish his tootsies!

So fun to seem them grow!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk is 8 weeks today!
holy crepe where has the time gone!
here is a pic from yesterday. the green bandagey thing is because she had blood drawn (holy screaming fit)
as you can see she is still very wee!

we went to the geneticist yesterday as a follow up to her heart issues. they just wanted to rule out that she has any sort of genetic disorders and they said they dont see anything to make them think she has a genetic disorder but did the blood drawer to be sure. but what they did notice is she has infant torticollis (where they favor turning their head to only one side because the muscles are super tight)
anyone deal with this before? any suggestions on what we can do ourselves? i guess she will need to do a little physical therapy but i wasnt sure if there was anything we could do ourselves.

my only other update is my sister in law came to visit this weekend to meet the mini punk and that means 2 awesome things on top of just the awesomeness of the visit.

1. she is currently in the kitchen making me seitan italian sausage and tomorrow seitan chorizo
2. she is a professional photography trying to grow a business in baby/birth/bellies photography and is going to shoot some pro pics of hte mini punk (if anyone lives in/around Asheville, NC and wants her info i will happily send it! her pics are awesome!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
anyone deal with this before? any suggestions on what we can do ourselves? i guess she will need to do a little physical therapy but i wasnt sure if there was anything we could do ourselves.

Start physical therapy as soon as you can. It is really easy and they will give you exercises to do at home. I've known several kids with this and it gets much harder to treat the longer you wait, but it's very easy to deal with in early infancy if it's caught - you are really lucky that someone noticed so early.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

That's pretty much what the geneticist said, that it would be super easy to correct now & not to let it go on because it would be 10x harder to correct later. She said she would call our pedi about it so I guess if I don't hear anything by Tuesday ill call them myself. Right now I've just been gently trying to get her to look left when I can.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We took Will to a pediatric chiro for the same thing, but I can't remember all the exercises. Sorry! A few that come to mind.... Try to do exciting things on the opposite side so she'll turn to you; using both hands slowly turn her neck the opposite way (you'll likely feel her resisting, just go a little past that); lots of tummy time; lay her across your lap on her belly with her head just hanging over so she has to support; lay her in her back (usually inbetween your legs), grab her ankles and slowly hold her up so her head is off your legs (this freaked me out, but I think Will enjoyed it the few times I was brave enough to do it); prop something next to her head to keep her from looking the preferred way if she's in swing/bounce/etc; massage her neck/shoulder on the tight side.

Last edited by kdub on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

By Will's 2-month appt he was already doing better and by 4 months the doc said he had full-range of motion and was not worried at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kdub wrote:
lay her in her back (usually inbetween your legs), grab her ankles and slowly hold her up so her head is off your legs (this freaked me out, but I think Will enjoyed it the few times I was brave enough to do it);

im sorry but this one sounds like hanging her upside down by her ankles? is that what you meant?? ;-)
hahaha

the funny thing is she's had really crazy neck/head control since birth but she DEFINITELY favors looking right like really bad.
ill have to do more tummy time and the things you suggested.

right now she could care less if you are having an awesome fun party to her left. she wont turn her head. im guessing part of that is age. she doesnt really understand/care about what's going on too much yet.
ill have to remember to prop her up in her swing or pack n play so she needs to look left!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:
kdub wrote:
lay her in her back (usually inbetween your legs), grab her ankles and slowly hold her up so her head is off your legs (this freaked me out, but I think Will enjoyed it the few times I was brave enough to do it);

im sorry but this one sounds like hanging her upside down by her ankles? is that what you meant?? ;-)
hahaha

Yes, that's exactly what it is! It takes the pressure of the back and shoulder muscles and let's them relax. I did it to Will yesterday after I posted here and he still loved it!!
Also, interesting... My doc told me the majority of cases are on that same side. You would think there's a 50/50, but for whatever reason the right is more prominent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My kid loved his "upside down" time from the time he was very small. My husband thought he should have some near daily (just for fun). Just an FYI that upside down time is usually better NOT right after a long breastfeeding session. Despite my telling my husband that, I ended up with some baby barf in my hair one day when baby was whisked out of my arms and hung upside down over my head.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

kdub wrote:
Also, interesting... My doc told me the majority of cases are on that same side. You would think there's a 50/50, but for whatever reason the right is more prominent.

Maybe it has something to do with the way most babies are lying in utero at the end of pregnancy? I thought I had read that most lie on the same side (don't remember which).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Baby punk looks to the right I'm sure it had something to do with how she was in utero because I was small so she was probably smushed.
I keep telling her we are very left leaning in this house & yet she keeps looking right (haha bad joke)
I'll try the upside down thing later, she's nursing right now.

On a different subject we got super happy news this morning. The cardiologist says that the largish hole in her heart is getting smaller :-D I'm hoping maybe she won't need surgery. I'm pretty much doing cartwheels of happiness!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I wasn't small at all, but Malka got smushed, too - she had Erb's palsy (when a nerve gets stretched because of positioning) and her arm couldn't move for the first couple weeks of life. We joked when we were leaving the hospital and they checked all our bracelets ten times that nobody would want to steal her with a bum arm and a splotchy birth mark all the way up her leg.

So excited for the good news! Don't do cartwheels while you're nursing!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
Don't do cartwheels while you're nursing!

so you guys dont want me to hold her upside down after nursing OR do cartwheels while nursing?!?!?!?

geesh

;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician does this thing now where after the Emperor leaves the dinner table, he (M) climbs up into E's chair and grazes on whatever his brother left on his plate. It does not matter if it's food he will otherwise refuse... If it's leftover on E's plate then apparently it MUST be good.

Also, he suddenly has this ocean of new words. Between today and yesterday, he picked up spaghetti, machine, tortilla, burrito (ask me what we had for dinner), bath, and a couple more I'm forgetting.

(He's still not what I'd call chatty, but his vocab is actually pretty big.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I'd say based on his new words that you have a burrito machine at your house, I'll be right over........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos uses the following words:
más (ma), duck, dog (dah), milk, hi, help, book, no

He makes the following meaningful noises:
mmmm (moo, for cow), pppbbb (horse noise), mm mm (woof woof, for dog), brrmmm (for car), woooo (for airplaine)

He uses the following signs:
milk, toothbrush, hat, more, all done, duck, please

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kimba wrote:

mmmm (moo, for cow), pppbbb (horse noise), mm mm (woof woof, for dog), brrmmm (for car), woooo (for airplaine)

Awesome! I love seeing what other little ones are learning to say. It's so fascinating. May I ask if he uses/understands both Spanish and English at home?

(I wanted to raise my kids with two languages, but at the time I had my first, my Spanish wasn't nearly strong enough, and I let it get all rusty. This is a topic that really interests me!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have found a Hebrew speaking babysitter for Malka! She'd probably just be occasional - like for date nights, but still! And I don't know if Malka will like her yet, but I think she will.

On the theme of bilingualism, Malka speaks WAY more English than Hebrew and I'm not totally sure if she understands me when I speak Hebrew but I am VERY sure she understands pretty much all my English. She says the following words in Hebrew more than in English: toot (strawberry), petel (raspberry), bo'i (come!), ken (yes). I think that's it. She has three or four other Hebrew words she says very occasionally.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bodhi wrote:
kimba wrote:

Awesome! I love seeing what other little ones are learning to say. It's so fascinating. May I ask if he uses/understands both Spanish and English at home?

(I wanted to raise my kids with two languages, but at the time I had my first, my Spanish wasn't nearly strong enough, and I let it get all rusty. This is a topic that really interests me!)

I'm not really sure. My hubby who speaks Spanish to him feels he doesn't understand Spanish as well. But his daycare is all in English. Next month we will all be in Costa Rica and maybe that will help. It's hard to tell though. He signed bath today!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wonder how long it'll take for my kids to differenciate all the languages they hear around here from different people... I mean, when can they say "okay, I talk to this person in French, that person in English, and you, in Spanish, etc"

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

LisaPunk PM me your sisters info. We live in Asheville and are looking for a photographer for when the new babe is born!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh snap! im glad i came back to this thread and saw that!
let me see what info she gives out. (email, phone, etc)

this is her facebook page. i thought she had a website but maybe it;s not live. you can see the pics of BabyPunk she took on facebook. (Charlotte Clara) they came out BEAUTIFUL.

https://www.facebook.com/inthefieldphoto?fref=ts

she also does pregnancy and births if that is up your alley.

i will PM you the appropriate info when i have it! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

here's a couple examples from BabyPunk's photoshoot so you can see how awesome she is.
i knocked the quality down a bunch so i could post them cause the files were huge!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Love the photos! BP is supercute! That second one is especially awesome! How did she get your pups to sit still?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

id like to say they are super well behaved but i think it was luck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 108  Next