| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 104  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:04 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone i feel really good and positive about the heart thing. originally they were pretty much telling us she was gonna need heart surgery before she turned 1 and i was freaking out so the fact that it's getting better on it's own makes me so insanely happy. it was really hard to deal with originally. i mean anyone being told their child has something wrong with them is hard enough but after a shitty pregnancy and a long hospital stay and a traumatic birth experience it was way overwhelming to have to deal with thinking about open heart surgery on my tiny 3 week old baby (that is when she was diagnosed not when we were considering actually doing it!)

so i feel like we can finally move past this and just start enjoying the little munchkin!!

i want to post more pictures but i broke my damn laptop! i dumped a shiitake ton of coffee all over the keyboard :-(
so i can only post pics i already uploaded to my picasa account. right now im using either my phone or my husband's laptop and i dont want to download pics off the camera onto his laptop so if i ever get around to more piglet pictures ill have to wait til either we can fix my laptop or i get a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Going through kind of a trying patch with the Magician (who turned 1.5 a couple of weeks ago!). On the upside, he has stopped nursing at night entirely this week. Not sure why, but it's 3 days running now. He's just nursing once before bed and then that's it. When he wakes up in the night, he's specifically asking for water.

That's all fine and good, but he is waking up SO MUCH at night now. Like 4-5 times a night. And what he really seems to want is not actually water, but for me to go away. Seriously. I put him down on the couch for a minute and go to get his water cup-- he's fast asleep by the time I get back. I put him down in bed last night to do the same-- totally asleep (and taking up ALL of my side of the bed... how is that possible?) by the time I got back.

I guess this means it's time for him to move to his own space but we really don't have anywhere to move him to right now. We're looking into bunkbeds (E's suggestion actually, and I think that's the only thing that's going to work in our current very small very full house) but until then, I am hoping he just chills out and stops waking up 5 times a night screaming.

It's really good timing on the dropping the night nursing thing though. I'm going to a weeklong workshop next week that includes evening activities at least 2-3 of the nights, and I am just going to stay on campus those nights. (I got into the workshop by winning a competition, and so the whole thing is free for me, including free room & board for the week. Woo!) Kiiiiiinda terrified. The only time I've EVER been away from these kids overnight in either of their lives were the 2 nights I was in the hospital when M was born, and the couple of days that E was away at Disney after M was born. Actually, I've never been away from BOTH of them overnight.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

aww yeah it sounds like he wants his space! Can you pick up something small like a crib mattress or hell, even an air mattress, to put next to you guys and make that his? I feel you on the space being at a premium though! otherwise maybe some inexpensive bunk beds from IKEA maybe.
and how exciting that you won a competition and get to do that workshop! I totally fear being away from our kids overnight too but like people always say, it's really harder on you than it is on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If E likes the idea of sleeping with M, E is not a rolling-out-of-bed type (there are rails on bunk beds, but still), and M is quiet enough at night to let E sleep, I would totally do bunk beds.

When my sister was born I only wanted to sleep with her and slept at the foot of my parents' bed (on the floor) until she was ready to come into our shared room. When she got out of the crib we shared a bed for a few years, and then when we were older and our parents split, we had a bunk bed that was a full on the bottom and a twin on top and we all piled in together on that one apparatus. I am a big fan of shared sibling rooms!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Audrey wrote:
aww yeah it sounds like he wants his space! Can you pick up something small like a crib mattress or hell, even an air mattress, to put next to you guys and make that his?

We can't do the mattress next to the grownup bed because that's where E sleeps now! And the other side of the bed is bounded by the bedroom door. The bunk beds will likely just go right into that spot. The only other real option would involve moving our dressers out of the bedroom and there's not really anywhere else to put those either. Ugh. Space.

And yeah, I'm the third of five kids and I shared rooms with all of them except the youngest (12 years younger, so the timing just never lined up) at one point or another-- roomsharing is totally something I think siblings can and should do! E doesn't currently wake up when M shrieks in the middle of the night, and he's like 10 feet away currently, so I don't think it'd be particularly disruptive to him to have M on the lower bunk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
Can you pick up something small like a crib mattress or hell, even an air mattress, to put next to you guys and make that his?

I am a big fan of these suggestions (a friend of mine transitioned her kids onto a small mattress in her room and eventually into their own room), but then, we sleep on Japanese futons (a cotton-stuffed mattress, no frame or anything), so I'm sooooo biased toward mattress-type things right on the floor -- Japanese futons are great for small spaces because you just put them away, like in your closet, during the day.

It's so cute that E suggested bunk beds! I know a family with 3 kids that got an Ikea bunk bed where the bottom bunk is a double futon.

And congratulations on winning that contest!! How cool and fun!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:12 am 
Nooch of Earl

Googling 18 month sleep regression might make you feel better, C&S.. Ours was really obnoxious for 2-3 weeks but after that she started sleeping through the night (for reals, not just the clinical 5 hour stretch) and we had a few gloriously easy months of sleep until the 24 month sleep regression (which has finally calmed down).

Good luck figuring out the space thing!! I don't even want to think about it if we have another one. This last house hunt we decided we wanted either a 4br or 3br + bonus room and it is so much harder than finding a 3br place to rent. We ended up finding a great house but we looked at more than a few places that were former halfway or sorority houses with 6 tiny bedrooms. Yuck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 am 
Married to the wolfman

Last night he actually slept pretty well, except that he literally pushed me out of bed. How can one tiny person take up so much space? He's like a dog but worse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:20 am 
Semen Strong

Congratulations on winning the contest! It sounds supercool and I hope you get to enjoy it without too much worry and that M enjoys his solo occupancy of your bed in your absence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont know if this is a good suggestion but would he sleep with E on the mattress? would there be room? would E mind?
he might like that and feel cool to sleep like a big boy with his older bro???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, could you move your bed over a bit and put down a larger mattress for the boys? a double futon or something?

we have the kura from ikea and like it a lot. tzipi is on the top bunk right now, and in a few months we'll get an extra set of slats and another twin mattress for the bottom part. the nice thing about it is the top bunk is low enough that you can pat backs, change sheets and rearrange blankets easily, and it's not going to be a big deal for a younger kid to fall out (not great, but not like a full size bunk). and if you're already used to having a kid sleeping on the floor, the bottom bunk is no different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:17 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My sister and I had bunk beds for years when we were little and we loved them. A good thing about them is the play opportunities: ours became a fort, a spaceship, a boat, a castle etc etc!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yes to that amazingness of bunkbeds as a playplace! Even just to tuck up in there and read is cool.

I measured Freya today after she saw the mark on the wall from 18 months and started exclaiming "tape! measure! Freya! right now!" :p 36 inches and a bit and 20 months and one week. Whew.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Giles ambled half way across the room (the longest spurt of walking I have seen to date) and finally decided to start "waving" at people yesterday. It was all so very exciting...it doesn't take much these days.

Is Freya going to be tall? (are you and her daddy tall?) 3 feet tall!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
yeah, could you move your bed over a bit and put down a larger mattress for the boys? a double futon or something?

This won't work unless we put their beds right up against ours, which would complicate E getting out of bed to go to the bathroom in the night (a deal breaker, obvs). Right now it's doorway, about five inches, our bed, about ten inches, E's bed, wall. Otherwise, it's a good idea! They nap together in our bed sometimes and it's really sweet.

Go Giles!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

C&S, maybe a full sized bunk bed? You and the Mr could be on the top bunk, and E and M could be on the bottom. Once the kiddos are old enough, you guys could switch....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Miles had surgery yesterday to put ear tubes in his ears and is doing fantastic. Its like nothing happened to him at all. The only horrible thing is the ear drops for his ears. Its like we are trying to kill him.

Reno likes One Direction. The blonde one is her favorite. His name is Niall and I already know too much about him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So glad to hear Miles did so well with the surgery! Amazing how kids can bounce back from something big like a surgery but then freak the fork out over drops! Ugh, hope you survive that torture! haha.

One Direction! You are a really good mom for tolerating that one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had to spend 4hrs at the clinic with Samuel on Monday because he somehow managed to get an infection down there. Ah, lil boys! :p So now I gotta apply abx on there twice a day for 2wks. Woohoo, fun times! haha Poor kiddo was in tears for 2days saying it hurt... mama shoulda known to take him earlier. I feel bad now! :(

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 am 

Eeek. Poor Sam. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wait, lemme rephrase that. It was on and off pain for 2 days. One day he said it hurt, the next morning said it was fine. Then in the afternoon cried again said it was worse... So I couldn't have known. He said he banged it on the stairs during his timeout on Sunday so I think it was just a small bruise... *sigh*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vax cut a tooth already and another is almost through. He started drooling a few days before we left to visit Mr Crabby's family, who didn't know we had another baby -- surprising them was lots of fun, and now we're back and I can feel a tooth, although it's still flush with the gumline. Also, he is in 3-6 month clothes. B & R were both in 0-3 month clothes until about 6 months. Vax is a beast!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Wow super early toofs!!!! How old is he? 2 months?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, 2 months. Beet got his teeth early, too (not sure they were this early, though I think he did have 2 teeth by 3 or 4 months), but Raygold didn't get his until he was maybe 6 or 7 months. Raygold was suuuuuper drooly from teething. For about a year and a half, he had to have a bib at all times (and a back-up bib for when the bib got soaked) because he was just a drool factory. Vax is not quite so drooly, thank goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm 

Holy cow! Freya's just working on her last one now (aside from 2 year molars). I'm glad she didn't start at 2 months!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 104  Next