| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Whoa a tooth already? Alice started drooling and chewing on her hands a few days ago and I was thinking great, Ada's last molar is almost done coming through and now Alice is going to start teething. Then I thought its way too early. I guess it's possible!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ooh we just got some decent news for a change - somehow despite being on a waitlist of like 40 people, the lovely new YMCA sorta near us now has a spot for Dahlia for the free universal pre-k thing! We like where she's at now, but come September all the kids closest to her age are leaving for various schools and while she probably wouldn't mind being with a bunch of 2 and 3yr olds, I know she'd be sad that those other kids are gone. Also, did I mention free!
The major problem is that she got into the afternoon spot, which is 12:30 to 3, so pickup time would be right smack in the middle of Sierra's nap...we have 20 days to somehow adjust this but I'm not sure what time to aim for. She probably would benefit from an earlier naptime, since she gets up so freakin' early, but then I feel like I have to accept that she's going to continue getting up early and I don't want to admit that this is my new reality haha.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay! That's great news about pre k. I'm sure the nap thing will work its way out somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:12 pm 

Lol...5:20 a.m is Freya's time of choice these days, Audrey, so I feel your pain. What time would you have to leave to pick up D? Good to hear about the pre-K!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

A lot of the problem is I'll already be at work, so either walking (30 min each way) or driving (5 min), Sierra's gonna be napping all screwy because she has to go with him! It's a shame she never took to the 2 naps a day habit because then she could have a short one in the morning before they leave for school and a longer one during. But I've always thought it's insane that Sierra is cheerfully awake and active for like 7 hours before crashing for nap!
Anyhoo, let's see, if they walk her to school they'd be back for Sierra to nap from 1 to like 2:30. The alternate would be driving to school, back to put Sierra down for nap by like 12:45 and get her up at 2:15 for the walk to pick D up. Either way, that's not quite long enough for her to sleep and this is going to be a bit of an adjustment hmmph.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh yay! That's great news! It might take her a week or two to adjust but I'm sure Sierra's nap will work itself out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

we have our appointment!!!! Sept 30th at Shriners... Pray for good results please :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 am 

At last...good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks... I will definitely keep y'all posted

Oh and I have an eye check up appt for Samuel on Aug 29th. I think he may need glasses soon. He's always complaining... Poor kiddo can't avoid the crappy family eyesight :(

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ooh, good luck with that SUH! And I'm glad it's not too long of a wait--Sept.30th is a while, but not as long as you were afraid of, right?

Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

yep, just over 2 months wait from doc appt to this one. Not bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I haven't been around lately and I have lots to catch up on. Grey is 2 now and we are having too much fun. He goes to school three half days a week. He is such a great kid and sometimes I cannot believe how hard the beginning was and how easy and fun it is these days. We have been traveling and having lots of visitors this summer, next week we go to Denver! Grey is crazy for trains, trucks, cars and really any vehicle. We go swimming nearly everyday. The biggest challenge we have right now is that we still don't have many friends in Arizona. I wish Grey and I had more social time with other people but it has been hard to meet anyone. I'm hoping once it isn't so hot out it will get easier to make friends. It looks pretty likely that we won't be staying in Arizona long, I'm pretty happy about that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SUH, glad you got your appointment booked!
LB, it's so nice to see you here again and hear about Grey (love his name! it's Zeph's middle name). Can't believe he's already two!

Zeph has 3 (!) more teeth coming in now. He's almost 14 months old now. His personality is showing so, so much more lately. He's super fun to be around, and his favourite thing ever is pointing at birds and animals and cooing/squealing at them. And Zeph's into scribbling. He doesn't eat the crayons! Whaaaat.

Iz is starting kindergarten this Sept. He is SO excited. His math, handwriting, and drawing have all improved dramatically over the last month. I'm slightly worried he'll get bored at school, as they don't even need to know their ABCs. But he is most excited about the social aspect, and he'll need to work on being in a classroom setting so I think he'll have enough to keep him occupied for now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh my goodness bodhi, kindergarten?! That is blowing my mind!

And Zeph and scribbling, how cute! Funniest thing... The Magician is like that too. He is mad for scribbling! E would have eaten the crayons at that age or just lost interest but M doesn't do either. He just... Draws and draws.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

And little bear, I have been wondering how AZ's been treating you guys! Sorry it's a bit lonely there, by I'm so glad to hear that you feel like things are getting easier overall.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 am 

Computer is fixed...so much catching up to do! :p

lb, nice to see you around! Do you have ideas about where y'all are headed next after AZ? Hope you find some companionship as Autumn comes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:32 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've been meaning to mention - every since our awesome PPK meetup the other week, Dahlia is mildly obsessed with Sashi and Alice. Whenever she plays "baby" with a doll or stuffed animals, she always says "I"m Sasha and this is Alice!", and lately she's been assigning me and Sierra the roles of Rachel and Leela too! So freaking cute.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Audrey wrote:
I've been meaning to mention - every since our awesome PPK meetup the other week, Dahlia is mildly obsessed with Sashi and Alice. Whenever she plays "baby" with a doll or stuffed animals, she always says "I"m Sasha and this is Alice!", and lately she's been assigning me and Sierra the roles of Rachel and Leela too! So freaking cute.

OMG, that is too cute!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that Audrey! Leela has named her doll Daiya - its supposed to be Dahlia but she can't say her L's :) Very vegan either way, right?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:19 pm 

Freya turned 21 months on Monday....1 3/4! Eek!

In pj's last week, telling me to "take a picture" because she's going to "make funny face"

She is still talking like mad. A couple of days ago, she was trying to figure out this foldable wooden yardstick type-thing. She says to K, out of the blue. "Pappa, how do you do it?" Dude.

She's in love with boats/trains/planes/helicopters/motorbikes....anything that can "go". We visit the lock on our local river at least once a week it seems. She said today, when talking to my sister about having been at the swimming pool today: "like it. live there." Heh. She would live there. Ice lollies/popsicles have become the ultimate in culinary delight, but she's just this past 3 days starting trying things again that she poo-pooed before (baked beans, vegetable soup, peas, broccoli, sweet potato).

And..I can't believe I'm actually typing this, but she's sleeping better (please let it be true!). It's been 3-4 weeks now (save a couple of nights) with her sleeping from 9ish until about 5. She's still wickedly tired though and should go back to sleep but I think she's just going through that phase that lots of toddlers have where they just wake up at an ungodly hour. We've just started tonight to try and put her to sleep earlier in the evening and see if we can get her another 45 minutes or so that way. I am so scared to change anything about our basic routine. K hates that we use a fan, but I said that if she is sleeping 7-8 hours a night then we're using the damn fan. :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:17 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so amazed that now as we read books, Leela can finish the sentences! We read a lot of the rhyming books, and she always knows which word is coming next. We've made a game out of it, and it amazes me. My parents said that was how I started reading so early (at 2.5) - hearing the same books over and over and then recognizing the words. A friend of mine was talking about getting programs and cards to help her daughter become an early reader, and I wonder if that makes sense or is too much pressure and I should just let it happen naturally.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think those programs/cards/etc. are good only if you have no goals around their "success" and they always remain fun. They can serve the same function as picture books and other enrichments you already use. If the kid isn't into it, don't do it, like anything else. I would just ask myself what the goal is, if it's to allow exploration of a natural interest that is just plain fun or if it's to reach academic milestones that are mostly meaningless in the context of toddlerhood.

I wrote this whole thing about how I think reading young is way overrated and makes people mistake reading ability for intelligence and gets everyone unnecessarily angsty, but I deleted it because it was all off topic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:53 pm 
Semen Strong

I hear you and agree about the angstyness. Its one of those developmental things that all kiddos get eventually. But L is interested in books, and will sit on my lap and if I point to a word, she will say it (from memory, not because she can read). Its also interesting to me that that is exactly what I did at her age.

I don't use any enrichments besides picture books :) We are very unstructured and I don't know much about childhood education. Mostly we hang out and talk to her a lot and she picks stuff up - like all kids do. I certainly am not trying to teach her math, but she is counting nicely at this point.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like I am too tired to do a lot of the cool stuff other people are doing. I wish I could set aside an hour a day to teach her French and German, but that time slips away from us. When I read about GP's school, I kind of wish I could send her somewhere like that twice a week to learn another language and socialize.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Samuel: Went to the eye doctor yesterday and he doesn't need glasses... yet. His vision is not perfect, but the prescription is small enough that we can wait a few years. Doc was very amazed at his math/language skills. He was reading numbers up to 100 on her chart (color blindness thingy) and talking her ear off.... Anyway, I'm glad we got this done now and found out he's okay. My eyesight is such crepe, I didn't want him dealing with this too.

Elijah: He claps! He stands up in the middle of a room unassisted (today!!) and he's got toofers #5 and #6 emerging this week. He also now calls us "mama" "ahma" (daddy) and "ahbra" (brother). He signs "more" too (on top of "eat" and "tired" and "milk").. So much new stuff this week. No wonder his sleep is even crappier! Welcome to the wonder week! (he is right in the middle of one)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:31 pm 

Ah....teaching babies to read. I think Ariann's spot on with the approach there...if the kid is interested, then fine. Otherwise, there is absolutely no need for formal reading "education". If you are an involved parent, you're probably doing many things to help your little one learn to read anyway. We read a *lot* and have some letters in various forms (cereal, magnets) but don't do any flashcards or videos. We do incorporate environmental print in a lot of ways. She has some crafted letters of her name hanging on her wall, we look for the X on the bus because it's the one we want, we write captions on her paintings, she looks at the name of grocery store and says it aloud, etc. It's just part of our daily life, nothing planned, and she still is ahead of the curve with regard to "pre-reading" skills (I hate that terminology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 102  Next