| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 104  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This is a little OT, but the "criss cross applesauce" phrase drives me up a wall. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH APPLES. But I guess they had to come up with something more PC than when I was growing up...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

haha we do get a weekly newsletter! but yesterday D told me they did some "speriment" where they tasted lemons, pretzels and frosting. I'm sorta not happy that we weren't told about it because what are the chances the frosting was vegan - even though we've been over it with the teacher when it comes to treats/bdays and stuff, and even though one of D's little friends has a dairy allergy. Hmmph. I assume it was probably tiny, tiny amounts of stuff since it was just "tasting" and I don't want to go all serious on the teacher about it, but I realize now that D knows not to eat other kids' treats but when it comes to a class activity she didn't even think about if it was vegan. Which is totally fine but gave me pause for a moment.

also on that tip - we found out her little friend is dairy-free because her mom actually approached H, which I think was difficult for her because there's like a little clique of Polish-speaking moms that she always hangs out with, but her daughter obviously told her that D doesn't eat the class treats either and she asked him if D had an allergy. When he said no, but that we don't consume any animal products she said "oh, vegan?" It's nice how many people seem to know that word now! And I am looking forward to making treats, possibly volunteering to bake, when it comes time for "holiday" parties so that D's friend gets to have some too.

oh and I bet bodhi is right - that whole criss-cross-applesauce thing probably made Ada think of yoga! I had some confusion over that too. At D's school they also tell the kids to "make a bubble" when they are supposed to be quiet - that had me totally confused the first few times she told me about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:
This is a little OT, but the "criss cross applesauce" phrase drives me up a wall. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH APPLES. But I guess they had to come up with something more PC than when I was growing up...

Haha, yeah. It's a silly phrase. Did it used to be different or did you use something else entirely?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

E's now spent as much time being in full-time preschool as he was full-time at home with me, aaaand I still want to know what he does all day. Sometimes he gives me REALLY detailed accounts, and other times we have conversations like this:

Me: so what did you do today?
E: I don't remember
Me: well, who did you play with?
E: No one
Me: so what you're saying is you did nothing and played with no one?
E: Yup

He has had a really cool development in the past week or two! He draws representative things now. He has NEVER drawn before-- if you gave him a marker, he'd scribble half-asparagusedly for 30 seconds then stop, and when you asked him what it was, he'd shrug and say something like "I dunno, an anteater?" We took him out for dinner the day before his birthday... we gave M (who loves to draw) some crayons and E was like hey, where's mine? and then amazed us by spending forty minutes drawing ghosts. Like, he didn't want to eat his dinner because he was so into drawing ghosts.

He pretty much has just wanted to draw non-stop since then. He brought home this MASSIVE stack of pictures he drew at school yesterday... it's like thirty pages of drawings. I asked him if he did anything else at school yesterday and he shrugged and said "well, I ate snack." Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:29 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Audrey wrote:
oh and I bet bodhi is right - that whole criss-cross-applesauce thing probably made Ada think of yoga!

Well they actually are supposed to do yoga once a week but I wasn't sure if it started yet. But maybe they did that cross cross applesauce during it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay for E, coldandsleepy! That sounds just like Iz. One day he just started drawing all the time. Filled up notebooks and made piles and piles of drawings. It's so cool! Especially when they start to become identifiable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bodhi wrote:
annak wrote:

Haha, yeah. It's a silly phrase. Did it used to be different or did you use something else entirely?

I say sit like a pretzel.

When I was a kid we said annak's un-pc way. I haven't heard anyone say that in years, though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka occasionally tells us stories and I am blown away by her ability to remember stuff. There were mysterious obviously juice splats on our steps and as we were coming up the stairs the other day my husband wondered aloud where they came from and Malka said, "I drink juice! I spilled juice on the stairs! Drop drop!"

She is still telling the story of the fourth of July fireworks and still telling the story of two months or so ago when a cat scratched her and we put hydrogen peroxide on it and there were bubbles. But ask her to tell you what she did today? Forget it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Butternut wrote:
bodhi wrote:
annak wrote:

I say sit like a pretzel.

When I was a kid we said annak's un-pc way. I haven't heard anyone say that in years, though.

I was in preschool/kindergarten in the late '80s/early '90s and they were still calling it "Indian style". When my youngest sibling was in school, 8 years behind me, it was the first I heard of another term being used, and it was "sit like a pretzel" then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

choirqueer wrote:
I was in preschool/kindergarten in the late '80s/early '90s and they were still calling it "Indian style". When my youngest sibling was in school, 8 years behind me, it was the first I heard of another term being used, and it was "sit like a pretzel" then.

First of all, I am laughing because I could not for the life of me figure out what the un-PC term could be. I've only heard cross-legged/lotus position for so long, I completely forgot about the term "Indian Style" and was imagining it must be something far worse because no one was typing it! Is that a Native American-thing or just slang for Lotus Position?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My husband tells his students to "do the applesauce thing"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

First of all, I am laughing because I could not for the life of me figure out what the un-PC term could be. I've only heard cross-legged/lotus position for so long, I completely forgot about the term "Indian Style" and was imagining it must be something far worse because no one was typing it! Is that a Native American-thing or just slang for Lotus Position?

It's like lotus position, but your feet are under your thighs instead of on top of them.

Kids sitting "Indian style" (with feet under thighs): http://www.bigstockphoto.com/image-2237 ... dian-style
Lotus position (with feet on top of thighs): http://www.wingmakers.co.nz/images/lotus-1.jpe

My cursory Googling suggests that it is not actually known whether the term was meant in reference to Native Americans or to Indians (from India).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Follow-up appt in 2hrs... I hope it's a good one. I'll keep yall posted :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are cast free already, but now have to be in booties for AT LEAST 18hrs a day.. so since his night consists of 11hrs, that means he sleeps with them. He gets 4-5 hrs boot free during the day but that's it. And at every diaper change we take them off and do a series of feet exercises (5x for 10secs each foot). We go back in 2 months and hope for good news that we're all done. If it's not corrected, back in casts he goes.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yikes that sounds intensive!! But I'm glad to hear his cast is off so quickly, good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Those were quick casts! Sounds pretty time-intensive still, but better than big hard casts!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Damn, now Sam has actual blood in his urine today :( We have to go to the ER or a walk-in clinic to get it tested again asap. Please pray he's okay. He's not feeling well right now. Complaining of a headache and being sick.

As far as Eli goes, he is good. Exercises are a pain, but we're dealing with it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh my goodness! I hope Sam feels better quickly and that the doctors are able to figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I forgot to write that Silas turned 5 on the 10th! My baby is 5, how did that happen?! I made cake pops for his (entire) preschool and they were a huge hit. No one even mentioned the "store bought only" rule, ha! We had immediate family over for cake pops that night and now today is his friend party at the playground. 75 cupcakes baked and ready to go and I can't wait till this week is over so I can collapse, I'm so exhausted. He is having a great time though, and has been telling everyone that his is 5 and saying that his "high fives are FINALLY OFFICIAL"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:10 am 
Semen Strong

Happy Birthday Silas! Wow, that sounds like an awesome celebration! Hope the friend party is wonderful and that you get a chance to relax with mimosas on the beach very soon!

Kelly wrote:
his "high fives are FINALLY OFFICIAL"

I love this so much. Silas is such a great kid <3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Stuck, how is Sam? On the mend, I hope.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay for Silas! Five is a great age to be.

Hoping too, that Sam is okay. That sounds really scary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

He complained of a right side tummyache at 3am last night (after falling out of bed). And he's been feeling kinda just BLAH-ish. I don't know what is going on. This sucks :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

stuckunderhere wrote:
Damn, now Sam has actual blood in his urine today :( We have to go to the ER or a walk-in clinic to get it tested again asap. Please pray he's okay. He's not feeling well right now. Complaining of a headache and being sick.

As far as Eli goes, he is good. Exercises are a pain, but we're dealing with it

OMG, is Sam okay?!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

But what did they say at the ER/walk-in clinic? Blood in urine is pretty serious! Is something up with his kidneys? An infection's not going to get better on its own. Poor kid :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 104  Next